Author Topic: Under 23's / Academy Thread  (Read 640315 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Under 23's / Academy Thread
« Reply #1375 on: August 05, 2019, 06:00:09 PM »
I'm amazed that some fans consider Slaven to be naive enough in agreeing to the appointment of a man to take his job and a board of directors who thinks he is.  ;)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1376 on: August 05, 2019, 06:03:07 PM »

If you want to discuss Smith meet me in there  ;)

Crack on then, post what you like in there as longas its in the right place, from now on any posts in the wrong place will be gone, time we went back to being the little Hitlers on here, getting past a joke how some are starting to take the urine
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1377 on: August 05, 2019, 06:17:11 PM »
Crack on then, post what you like in there as longas its in the right place, from now on any posts in the wrong place will be gone, time we went back to being the little Hitlers on here, getting past a joke how some are starting to take the urine

You brought Smith up not me? Haha. ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1378 on: August 05, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »

You brought Smith up not me? Haha. ;D

Yep, as you were also discussing it already and you seem to be ignoring the part where I posted

so we will be "encouraging" you all to move on now and stick to the thread !! hint hint hint !!!!  ;)

So by having that part pointed out you will not have any complaints if any further messages in this thread get removed.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1379 on: August 07, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »
Richard Cresswell has left his post as Head of Academy coaching at Leeds.

https://twitter.com/rcressy25/status/1159017769570066433

There's a rumour doing the rounds he may pitch up here along with former Baggie Jonathan Greening.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1380 on: August 07, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »
Richard Cresswell has left his post as Head of Academy coaching at Leeds.

https://twitter.com/rcressy25/status/1159017769570066433

There's a rumour doing the rounds he may pitch up here along with former Baggie Jonathan Greening.

That's a nice rumour to be going around, I loved watching Jesus play and would be great to have him back.  First player i saw at the Albion who could regularly pass a ball more than 30 yards to feet.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1381 on: August 07, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
That's a nice rumour to be going around, I loved watching Jesus play and would be great to have him back.  First player i saw at the Albion who could regularly pass a ball more than 30 yards to feet.
if his Twitter pic is anything to go by, he’s transitioning from Jesus to Santa Claus!!

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1382 on: August 07, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »
with 2 loans incoming- leko needs a season long loan at league 1 to resurrect his career. we could probably do the same with burke if anybody will take him. he needs a run of games he isn't going to get it here
O Albion we love you

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1383 on: August 07, 2019, 09:02:22 PM »
If Wilson, Leko, and Field aren't sent out on loan its a huge waste of their development. They'd be better off sold for their sake.

Field will do for a lower championship club, Leko really needs to go somewhere low down where he'll get plenty of chance to work on his end product. No good sending him somewhere he'll just get benched like when he went to Bristol City. There's a good player there he just needs games to work on it.

I'd also say Burke should probably be loaned out as well as its difficult to see him developing as he's surely be well down. He's never in a million years a striker, needs to go somewhere to work on his game as a winger.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1384 on: August 07, 2019, 10:03:32 PM »
@RowdenJRSG is one, if not the top authority in youth football in England (writing about youth football I should add).

He does come down very much on the side of the player, and he does have a bit of a big club mentality (being a United fan), but he has told some uncomfortable truths tonight (even if he comes across as a bit of a d***head in how he replies to people).

We get funny about players leaving our academy, and yet we are set to sign 2 wingers, 1 from West Ham's academy which will block our 3 home grown options, just like we did with Murphy and Montero. Now there are some good counter arguments we can make, but ultimately we have 3 players there who look set to again sit in a bit of a no mans land at the club, not going out on loan to assist their development, but sitting behind other clubs players in the pecking order.

It is something the club really needs to work out a long term answer to, and yet more evidence of a very confused thought process than runs throughout everything the club does.

Leko and Edwards might not be quite good enough, but Tulloch isn't even getting the chance to fail.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1385 on: August 07, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »
We need to use the loan system better.

If Field, Edwards and Leko had all gone out last season to league one, not only would they all likely be better players, we would have a better idea of their long term ability and potential. In hindsight they all could have gone out but even at the time most of us would have thought they could.

Then at 20/21 you can then give them more of a chance rather than still having as much doubt.  Truth is, not many 18 year olds are playing regularly in the prem or championship so 18/19 you have to get them out and playing. Sink or swim.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1386 on: August 07, 2019, 10:25:35 PM »
@RowdenJRSG is one, if not the top authority in youth football in England (writing about youth football I should add).

He does come down very much on the side of the player, and he does have a bit of a big club mentality (being a United fan), but he has told some uncomfortable truths tonight (even if he comes across as a bit of a d***head in how he replies to people).

We get funny about players leaving our academy, and yet we are set to sign 2 wingers, 1 from West Ham's academy which will block our 3 home grown options, just like we did with Murphy and Montero. Now there are some good counter arguments we can make, but ultimately we have 3 players there who look set to again sit in a bit of a no mans land at the club, not going out on loan to assist their development, but sitting behind other clubs players in the pecking order.

It is something the club really needs to work out a long term answer to, and yet more evidence of a very confused thought process than runs throughout everything the club does.

Leko and Edwards might not be quite good enough, but Tulloch isn't even getting the chance to fail.

He's an interesting account and right on this issue (although he does tend to horrifically overrate how good youth players are in the first place), you can't offer zero pathway and expect players to say - with that said I'd be extremely disappointed if Edwards who's regularly shined doesn't get a lot of game time this year.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1387 on: August 07, 2019, 10:32:47 PM »

Good post. Our brightest youngsters must be given good opportunities to make their mark in the first team. Our Academy has certainly been producing players capable of establishing themselves.

However, I think the squad badly needed topping up after the players we lost from last season. Its a long season of at least 46 games, and there will be injuries and suspensions. Even recruiting 2 wingers (as its looking like) shouldn't close the door to Edwards. He could even be used through the middle.

I hope Tulloch too gets more oportunities, but I wouldn't want him as sole back up. Obviously some of the  Academy will have to be loaned out and it will be a tough call. Maybe Tulloch falls into that group. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:39:01 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1388 on: August 07, 2019, 10:49:10 PM »
Hopefully Edwards has earned the right to stay in the side for Saturday regardless of who comes in. Whoever is signed tomorrow won't have much bedding in time for Saturday.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1389 on: August 07, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »
Hopefully Edwards has earned the right to stay in the side for Saturday regardless of who comes in. Whoever is signed tomorrow won't have much bedding in time for Saturday.

Guessing any new signings will only make the bench the weekend, will start in the cup next Tuesday.

I’d be suprised if he even changed the starting line up for Saturday from the one that started Forest.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1390 on: August 08, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
Leko and field out. I doubt more will go today as league one and league 2 clubs have to September. I guess the dust will settle then we can see what the squad looks like.

We should be taking advantage of the situation at Bolton- they have no players the likes of Wilson O'Shea or Fitzwater could go there and get some serious game time
O Albion we love you

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1391 on: August 08, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »
Leko and field out. I doubt more will go today as league one and league 2 clubs have to September. I guess the dust will settle then we can see what the squad looks like.

We should be taking advantage of the situation at Bolton- they have no players the likes of Wilson O'Shea or Fitzwater could go there and get some serious game time
We would usually have 4 centre backs in the squad and I'd think O'Shea is 4th CB at least.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1392 on: August 09, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
Right then. First team's sorted (for now), time for some coaching promotions/appointments across the board at Academy Level. We don't want any of our fringe or potential young uns becoming disillusioned with the set up and jumping ship to the Vile. Chop chop Messrs Dowling and Appleton.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1393 on: August 09, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
Right then. First team's sorted (for now), time for some coaching promotions/appointments across the board at Academy Level. We don't want any of our fringe or potential young uns becoming disillusioned with the set up and jumping ship to the Vile. Chop chop Messrs Dowling and Appleton.

i thought Appy was bringing Jesus Greening back with him, anyone seen confirmation of this?
BTW has anyone ever seen Ryan Sidebottom and Jonathan in the same room
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1394 on: August 09, 2019, 11:40:08 AM »
i thought Appy was bringing Jesus Greening back with him, anyone seen confirmation of this?
BTW has anyone ever seen Ryan Sidebottom and Jonathan in the same room

That was a rumour I passed on following Richard Cresswell's departure from Leed's Academy but I've heard nothing since. I have no idea whether Johno's ever been seen in the side or even the back of Ryan's bottom. Scurrilous rumours........

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1395 on: August 09, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Under23's at Home to Man Utd tonight , 7pm kick off .
Might well be covered by MUTV .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1396 on: August 09, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
I may have missed it but that looks a lot like Myhill sat next to Appleton tonight , 0-0 at min . Soule with our best chance.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1397 on: August 09, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »
0-3 HT , all over the place to be honest .

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1398 on: August 09, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
We would usually have 4 centre backs in the squad and I'd think O'Shea is 4th CB at least.
i think Oshea is already a better centre back than Bartley,and would be surprised if he wasn't used this season

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1399 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:13 PM »
United had 3 of their top under 23's unavailable tonight, while we have put out one of the strongest under 23 sides we are likely to put out all season.

Disappointing to see them get such a big hammering.
Boing Boing