Author Topic: Craig Dawson  (Read 460065 times)

Topman

• Youth Baggie

Re: Craig Dawson
« Reply #1725 on: June 29, 2019, 03:54:06 PM »
Very disappointed if true, as this is nothing. Worried we have serious cash issues here

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1726 on: June 29, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
Sounds about right to me. Maybe £2 million light.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1727 on: June 29, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
Sounds about right to me. Maybe £2 million light.

Lets see if we can get a decent replacement in for that sort of money.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1728 on: June 29, 2019, 03:58:25 PM »
Entering the last year of his contract, probably on a decent wage, wanted out all of last season. Probably could have got more for him but it is what it is.

Thanks for the years Dawson. Has filled in at right back when needed and chipped in with some goals. Value for money.

I’m more concerned that we keep hold of Hegazi.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1729 on: June 29, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »
£5.5m is a steal for me in nowadays market.
The PRIDE of midlands

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1730 on: June 29, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
There'll be add ons I would guess.

Need to be moving on players like him.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1731 on: June 29, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
Thats a poor sum by todays standards. It's his time to go for sure but that's nothing.

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1732 on: June 29, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »
I think we owe Rochdale a percentage of any sale if I recall.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1733 on: June 29, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
We never seem to get decent fees for players. We either reject bids then they end up leaving a season or so later for a fraction of what we were offered, or we just get rid for extremely minimal fees.

5.5m buys almost nothing in today's market. Consider Middlesbrough paid 8m for Aden flint.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1734 on: June 29, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
Disappointed if this goes through. Will be surprised if we get as solid a defender to replace him.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:15:31 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1735 on: June 29, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
Reece Oxford incoming then:
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1736 on: June 29, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
It’s time for him to go, we all agree on that but again it seems very low, and worries me we are in a real mess behind the scenes financially. A player of his experience with one year left in my opinion should at least be 9 or 10 million

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1737 on: June 29, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »
Anyway, now we know why he was smiling in the pictures earlier this week.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1738 on: June 29, 2019, 05:14:34 PM »
Entering the last year of his contract, probably on a decent wage, wanted out all of last season. Probably could have got more for him but it is what it is.

Thanks for the years Dawson. Has filled in at right back when needed and chipped in with some goals. Value for money.

I’m more concerned that we keep hold of Hegazi.

All of this, especially the Hegazi bit. Very best wishes to you though Craig, most of the time you have been excellent for the Albion. All the best.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1739 on: June 29, 2019, 05:26:20 PM »
Well it will be a massive turnover this summer. Only the 11 players need now ;) I think 5.5 is light in value (although that’s sky’s figure). The other way of looking at it is we get Oxford for 3mill at 19 and he develops into a class player it’s good business. Dowling said we would have to unearth some gems and take risks with lower fees. Dawson grew into a decent player but was also raw when he came in...
Good servant of the club but last summer taints his time with us to a degree.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1740 on: June 29, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
I thought when people were suggesting that we would comfortably get around £10m for Dawson they were being a little optimistic. Facts are he is the last year of his contract 29 so nobody is buying potential here and there is little or no sell on value therefore whatever you spend on him is what he is going to cost you.

Often descriptions of Dawson start "Solid enough defender but...." well sorry that looks like a bit of a squad filler at Premier League level. Bearing in mind Watford could sign him on a free next year spending £7.5m (£5.5m fee and £2m wages)  just for the rare of privilege of  having him 12 months earlier almost seems generous.

Looking at Watford's Centre Back options it seems Cathcart is a fixture and they can't quite settle on a partner for him from the 3 or 4 other options they currently have. Dawson isn't obviously better or worse than any of their current Centre Backs will be intersting to see how he does.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1741 on: June 29, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
I thought when people were suggesting that we would comfortably get around £10m for Dawson they were being a little optimistic. Facts are he is the last year of his contract 29 so nobody is buying potential here and there is little or no sell on value therefore whatever you spend on him is what he is going to cost you.

Often descriptions of Dawson start "Solid enough defender but...." well sorry that looks like a bit of a squad filler at Premier League level. Bearing in mind Watford could sign him on a free next year spending £7.5m (£5.5m fee and £2m wages)  just for the rare of privilege of  having him 12 months earlier almost seems generous.

Looking at Watford's Centre Back options it seems Cathcart is a fixture and they can't quite settle on a partner for him from the 3 or 4 other options they currently have. Dawson isn't obviously better or worse than any of their current Centre Backs will be intersting to see how he does.
He must fancy his chances of breaking into the starting team at Watford, as I can't imagine he'd just want to be a squad filler at this stage of his career. It's a very good deal for Watford as he has proven experience over many years at Prem League level. I expect Foster put in a good word for him.
The one thing he couldn't do was play football out from the back, but in terms of defending, he was tough in the tackle and commanding in the air. I think we will struggle to find as solid a defender, but there again, if Billic is looking for a more 'footballing' centre back, it makes his job easier the less old fashioned defenders he has.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:01:55 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1742 on: June 29, 2019, 06:28:02 PM »
Anything that brings Bartley closer to being a regular is dire news in my opinion.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1743 on: June 29, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »
Hasn't Livermore played at centre back before?
Could be a good move back for him.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1744 on: June 29, 2019, 06:47:31 PM »
I’m surprised on two counts -
1 - I was expecting more £s.
2 - the timing. How often do WBA take the ‘first’ bid? Normally it’s long drawn-out and we get a top price. Suggests club are firm on sell before buy, and Slav wants to spend?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1745 on: June 29, 2019, 06:52:02 PM »
Hasn't Livermore played at centre back before?
Could be a good move back for him.

I can think of better moves for him  ..... out of the club.

We'll be bringing in a replacement for Dawson anyway. Albion seem happy enough to accept Watford's offer with plenty of time left in the transfer window that tells me they've got one or two options in the fire. If we were desperately trying to keep Dawson we'd be making it more difficult for Watford to get him. Look at this time last season for evidence of that.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1746 on: June 29, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »
We never seem to get decent fees for players. We either reject bids then they end up leaving a season or so later for a fraction of what we were offered, or we just get rid for extremely minimal fees.

5.5m buys almost nothing in today's market. Consider Middlesbrough paid 8m for Aden flint.
Rubbish
Saido
McClean
Davies
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1747 on: June 29, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
Fee could be a couple of million light as Jacko said. Personally I welcome a bit less faffing about negotiating  a bit extra which would probably amount to around 500k, meanwhile the first game gets closer and closer.

Irrelevant but as he's been mentioned, Flint was contracted to Bristol City until 2021, hence why 'Boro needed to pay £8m.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1748 on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:58 PM »
Rubbish
Saido
McClean
Davies

Berahino who we could have sold for twice as much to Newcastle?

McClean was an alright fee, no more, no less. Davies was a good fee - but you had to go back 12 years.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1749 on: June 29, 2019, 07:22:33 PM »
Sky saying deal agreed with Watford for 5.5 million!!

That’s a poor amount for one of our saleable assets!  Doesn’t put much in the pot for the quality to replace him. Hope we are not relying on using Bartley as a first choice else that’s definitely a weakening of last years first eleven.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !