Author Topic: What sort of fan are you??  (Read 6741 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

What sort of fan are you??
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »
Seeing as it's a bit quiet, thought it would be fun to see what sort of fan we all are. Someone posted a profile of the modern football fan, which made me laugh, but made me think of what I'm like at a game.

I'm regarded as pretty laid back, sensible, chilled out and easy going by friends and colleagues, but when it comes to matchday I become a monster! I moan, get angry, shout, basically changing into another person and that's just when we win! If we lose, everyone suffers, missus, daughter, dog, cat, the lot, I'm like a bear with a sore head until Monday, by which time my attention turns to the next game and I get all positive again.

Am I normal?  :-[

If anyone is interested and can be bothered, maybe a poll would be an idea to gauge what sort of fans we are? Not sure what options we would need, maybe Angry, Chilled, Stoical, Depressive, Nervous.

wolverhampton baggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: What sort of fan are you??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
Gosh...you've just described me!!! I'm old enough to know better as well but it's a strange love affair we have with The Albion and I wouldn't change it for the world COYB
Born and bred in Dudley

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »
When the game is on, I turn in to a tw@t . Especially at away games, shouting all sorts of expletives at the lino (Palace Away more than justified). It probably doesn't help the amount of ale that's consumed before kick off.

On the flipside, I'm a very supportive fan, I don't stop singing, I try to start chants when it's flat, and generally have a laugh.

One thing I can't forgive at games is a lack of effort from the players, I get wound up and hurl a bit of abuse.

It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
I try to be a positive as possible, I generally stand and sing most of the game and try to encourage rather than moan, I try to keep the moaning for the pub after the game or on here.
Away games are all about criac, consume plenty of pints, hope for a result and make a day of it.

"This crack is really moreish."

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »
F**king depressed. Dealing with health issues of both my Dad and myself. I used to look forward to the games, as an escape from stuff. I've had a ST since the 90's in various parts of the ground. whether, it's the other stuff just grinding me down. I just don't enjoy it now. I never felt like this for Megson. I have medication during the night and while that settles I often go on News Now (I know I shouldn't) and all the playesr we're linked with for january are Backs. I'm giving it Sunderland that maybe the last game for a while

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
F**king depressed. Dealing with health issues of both my Dad and myself. I used to look forward to the games, as an escape from stuff. I've had a ST since the 90's in various parts of the ground. whether, it's the other stuff just grinding me down. I just don't enjoy it now. I never felt like this for Megson. I have medication during the night and while that settles I often go on News Now (I know I shouldn't) and all the playesr we're linked with for january are Backs. I'm giving it Sunderland that maybe the last game for a while

Sorry to hear that hope things brighten up for you mate.

I use to enjoy it championship, premiership days even when we got beat under matteo and Mowbray we gave it a go btw I don't for one second solely blame pulis for the situation atm.

Away days are the best sometimes stop the night depending on the game sing me heart out and if we ain't bothered on the pitch I find the nearest boozer and continue my day out.

Pick and choose me games now but can't see me getting up to home games much as it just don't appeal.

Love me club though baggie through and through.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
I am pretty much the same as Bob Taylor by the sound of it!

I used to really look forward to games, even in the equivalent of League one, loved the routine, the buzz of walking to the ground, etc.

However at the moment i have lost a lot of interest and enthusiasm, its been building for a while but seeing a group of talented players been asked to do the bare minimum and play like plucky no hopers, time wasting, sucking the life out of games  like we do under Pulis enough is enough.

I am really not bothered about next saturdays game v Sunderland, i will go but it feels a chore, i dont boo or criticise when there but i do make an exception when people arent trying (i can accept if people arent good enough, no excuse for not trying though)

Defeats used to really hurt but i dont know if its just getting older, complete lack of enthusiasm for the team at the moment or a combination of both, but now just not that a***d!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:00:51 PM by Albion79 »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 04:23:29 PM »
Dis-enchanted, Dis-enfranchised, becoming ambivalent to football in general.

If things continue the way they are, can see a time when i just look at results at 17:00 whenever the buck we're playing
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:28:23 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 05:18:46 PM »

I'm regarded as pretty laid back, sensible, chilled out and easy going by friends and colleagues, but when it comes to matchday I become a monster! I moan, get angry, shout, basically changing into another person and that's just when we win! If we lose, everyone suffers, missus, daughter, dog, cat, the lot, I'm like a bear with a sore head until Monday, by which time my attention turns to the next game and I get all positive again.
Very much as above except that I can't attend many games now (health issues) so often have to watch tv or streams. This is very frustrating because as well as the style of play etc, the commentators inane prattle really gets my goat,  mr whingingwhining trevor francis especially. So Even though no one at the ground can hear me the language is foul, and loud when we are not playing well or when things go wrong. Could be a bit excitable actually at the match and would sing and chant with the best, and have also been known to engage in some minor physical disagreements with opponents and officials. However my swearing was pretty much non existant then and was nowhere near as bad as when watching at home. No I am not normal I am an Albion fan who still cares.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:55:14 PM by MarkW »

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »
I see myself as a very positive fan. I'll do whatever I can to give my team the edge & vocal support is all we can really do as fans, so yes I'm vocal. Agree with Maresca, save the criticism for the pub AFTER the game!
Love to see our fans really getting behind the team & long for the days of standing again (even safe standing would do), as I really feel we lost a big part of English football culture the day all seater stadiums became the norm!
On holiday, I'll happily go & shake the hand of a stranger if he's wearing a Baggies top! Yep, I may be mad, but I love the Albion & always will!

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 06:31:36 PM »
Sorry to hear that hope things brighten up for you mate.

I use to enjoy it championship, premiership days even when we got beat under matteo and Mowbray we gave it a go btw I don't for one second solely blame pulis for the situation atm.

Away days are the best sometimes stop the night depending on the game sing me heart out and if we ain't bothered on the pitch I find the nearest boozer and continue my day out.

Pick and choose me games now but can't see me getting up to home games much as it just don't appeal.

Love me club though baggie through and through.

Cheers mate I appreciate it. I perhaps shouldn't of said anything because it's off topic for footy. It's weirdest thing ever though and it is going to sound messed up, but, it matters more to me now than it has ever before. I think it was Astle Day when the team contemptuously no-showed the game. Could you imagine any other team playing that badly on a day that was supposed to celebrate one of if not the Club's greatest heroes? Norwich away play Anichebe as defensive midfielder that's a kick in the balls for the travelling fans. We even managed to make stoke look hard with a two man advantage. Then Berahino twitting that picture and other player "parodying" it. Yet I found neither funny and both insulting as a fan. Its like grow up and settle your differences privately. So it doesn't make my club look petty and tinpot. 
Then there's Pulis's recruitment. This is the truly worrying thing for me. Megson played like because we had no money. Pulis has spent £40 million and the football regressed to 2002.  How much will we have to spend to put it right? Forgive the meltdown   

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 06:54:32 PM »
Cheers mate I appreciate it. I perhaps shouldn't of said anything because it's off topic for footy. It's weirdest thing ever though and it is going to sound messed up, but, it matters more to me now than it has ever before. I think it was Astle Day when the team contemptuously no-showed the game. Could you imagine any other team playing that badly on a day that was supposed to celebrate one of if not the Club's greatest heroes? Norwich away play Anichebe as defensive midfielder that's a kick in the balls for the travelling fans. We even managed to make stoke look hard with a two man advantage. Then Berahino twitting that picture and other player "parodying" it. Yet I found neither funny and both insulting as a fan. Its like grow up and settle your differences privately. So it doesn't make my club look petty and tinpot. 
Then there's Pulis's recruitment. This is the truly worrying thing for me. Megson played like because we had no money. Pulis has spent £40 million and the football regressed to 2002.  How much will we have to spend to put it right? Forgive the meltdown   

That day was nothing short of a disgrace and I would of called them all cnuts to there face and then told them to pish off.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
A bessoted negative. Albion always come first for me just ask my 3 ex wives. hopefully though i dont have to be embaressed wearing my colours at away games for much longer
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:44:43 PM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »
Am and always will be a Happy Clapper. 
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
Love the club. Hate the football.

Live in Cornwall now so don't really get to many games, made a few last season but none so far this season. My living in Cornwall gives me an excuse to not have to attend either with the football on offer, if I lived in Redditch still I'm not sure I would attend either.

I'll watch every game though

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
I went to a Colchester match yesterday with my mate at Shrewsbury, just 100 fans in the away end but all like one family, everyone knew one another and all for the love of a football club going nowhere. They will never get into the championship but even so, every game they give it their all and try and get that win. There's desire there, and the fans that attend through thick and thin will still be there regardless. Even though they blew a 2 goal lead, they still clapped their team off at the end and are the sort to be there at Carlisle or Exeter away. That the kind of team and club I want to be part of, not part of this horrific league we make up the numbers for, to show absolutely no intent of winning a game and watch us wither away. I'm slowly losing my rag with the way we present ourselves in this league and its becoming a bit of a chore. I want desire, unpredictability, and a team who give their all home and away. Crystal palace simply wasn't that at all.

labaggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »

Used to be a home and away. fanatic, arranged holidays, wedding everything around the games, I've been to Hartlepool on a Tuesday night, and when we had a team worth watching, was in Europe when it was worth good, and I was so proud to be associated with the team.
Season ticket holder for well over 50 years, shareholder, for probably 30 years.
Now, under Pulis and Peace, I don't go....
Penny Arcade.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:44 PM »
I remember when football was THE thing that mattered,all I would talk about at work ,the weekdays were just there to build the excitement of the match day .now I genuinely couldn't care less.
I've borrowed money before to go, I've sat in the away end, I've drove to Ipswich, I've had a knife pulled on me at tranmere, I've been chased through the park in burslem and watched Plymouth do us 2-5 at home
But
This rubbish I cannot take, no season ticket this year , I haven't been to a single match this season nor have I watched one on telly .
I'm not stupid , it's a business of millions, but is is for Swansea , Everton, Bournemouth all of which PLAY FOOTBALL..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
I went to a Colchester match yesterday with my mate at Shrewsbury, just 100 fans in the away end but all like one family, everyone knew one another and all for the love of a football club going nowhere. They will never get into the championship but even so, every game they give it their all and try and get that win. There's desire there, and the fans that attend through thick and thin will still be there regardless. Even though they blew a 2 goal lead, they still clapped their team off at the end and are the sort to be there at Carlisle or Exeter away. That the kind of team and club I want to be part of, not part of this horrific league we make up the numbers for, to show absolutely no intent of winning a game and watch us wither away. I'm slowly losing my rag with the way we present ourselves in this league and its becoming a bit of a chore. I want desire, unpredictability, and a team who give their all home and away. Crystal palace simply wasn't that at all.
Always winds me up when they refer to the likes of Liverpool or Newcastle as the 'best fans in the world', these lower league boys are the real fans. My mate goes home and away with Walsall, for little reward, so was great to see them earn their first trip to Wembley last year.

I think my best years as a baggie were when we were rubbish and playing the likes of Stockport, probably just because I was at the right age for the craic, but it just seemed so much more fun then!  :'(

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »
Got to agree with that,
Hartlepool / Carslisle / Plymouth  those at the lower reaches & geographical outposts of the football league are the truly committed fans and deserve a great deal of praise (and some sympathy)  IMO
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »
We as Baggies ( well us old un's anyway ) have had all the Hartlepool / Carslisle / Plymouth games and in midweek as well. 400 of us at Hartlepool on a cold wet November night watching a load of rubbish served up by the team when Bobby Gould was manager. Was passionate back in them days and still am of my Club. 
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Slimbo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
Been going for 46 years, a lot of those years home and away but I have lost the will to go to away games under Pulis - too expensive to hope for a goalless draw
I drink to forget but I don't forget to drink

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
I've calmed right down in the last decade, and am only in my late twenties now. Results would really effect my mood and I was ever the pessimist. Nowadays I don't let a result finish me off and am far more of an optimist.