Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 770377 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3775 on: June 10, 2020, 01:34:40 PM »
I am not sure where Stoke are heading nor what O'Neil has in mind by signing Brunt but that squad is a god awful mess and just signing a good experienced pro might help them out. While Brunt has reached the end of the road with us I am hardly breathing a sigh of relief at his departure unlike the others
Surely Stoke have enough "experience" already. Shawcross, Martens indy, Diouf, Joe Allen, McLean, Vokes, Chester, Batth, Federici, Afobe ......   quite why they are 3 points of relegation with so much "experience" is baffling TBH
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3776 on: June 10, 2020, 03:43:01 PM »
Given the speed of the game these days even at Championship level Stoke probably have too much experience and not enough peak/youth already. It's hard to get away from the image of Brunt putting in crosses and free kicks for McAuley, Evans, Cathcart when playing under O'Neil for NI. If they buy him at the age of 35 I'd have thought it would be with this in mind which hardly seems a progressive step for them.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3777 on: June 10, 2020, 04:13:18 PM »
I think O'Neill will dig Stoke out of trouble, Nathan Jones was a shocking manager.  McAuley and Evans were giants when O'Neill managed NI.  Steven Davis was good in midfield.  Their ball retention was appalling and set pieces were huge ala Pulis. 

Chris Brunt may be steady next season, he's just average Championship level now at best.  Kyle Lafferty next for O'Neill?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3778 on: June 10, 2020, 04:21:24 PM »
Brunty will be fine in midfield with legs around him (something we haven't got with Livermore), will be worth 10 goals from corners alone. Good signing for a poor poor team.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3779 on: June 10, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »
He'll be fine in League 1

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3780 on: June 10, 2020, 06:43:54 PM »
Brunty will be fine in midfield with legs around him (something we haven't got with Livermore), will be worth 10 goals from corners alone. Good signing for a poor poor team.

Livermore has shown plenty of mobility and stamina this season.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3781 on: June 10, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »
Keep em coming 😀
You did see dads army vs Newcastle ?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3782 on: June 10, 2020, 07:10:50 PM »
Keep em coming 😀
You did see dads army vs Newcastle ?

Would have won with any other player but Barry in the side.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3783 on: June 10, 2020, 07:40:24 PM »
Would have won with any other player but Barry in the side.

Brunt.......fixed that for you.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3784 on: June 10, 2020, 07:41:05 PM »
If Stoke want to waste their money and Brunt can get another payday for himself then that's a win-win situation.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3785 on: June 10, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
Brunt.......fixed that for you.

You obviously didn't watch it. Only one of the old boys legs has gone and it's not the one getting a new club.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3786 on: June 10, 2020, 08:05:44 PM »
You obviously didn't watch it. Only one of the old boys legs has gone and it's not the one getting a new club.

Obviously I did watch it.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3787 on: June 10, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
That game had the worst midfield I think I’ve seen in the last 15 years or so. Completely overrun and past it. Neither player should be close to the team.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3788 on: June 10, 2020, 08:22:43 PM »
Livermore has shown plenty of mobility and stamina this season.

He was exhausted having to be the only man in midfield when playing alongside Brunt.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3789 on: June 10, 2020, 08:33:09 PM »
Equally mixed views over on the Oatcake too, I can only wish him well
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3790 on: June 10, 2020, 08:44:11 PM »
Does put us in the strange position now of either wanting stoke to stay up, or seeing brunt in league 1
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3791 on: June 10, 2020, 09:32:55 PM »
Surely Stoke have enough "experience" already. Shawcross, Martens indy, Diouf, Joe Allen, McLean, Vokes, Chester, Batth, Federici, Afobe ......   quite why they are 3 points of relegation with so much "experience" is baffling TBH

Yes went and looked at it properly there are a few out of contract e.g. Diouf but there are also players returning from loan like Kevin Wimmer who I had forgotten were there. It is a mess they are getting old and no doubt paid stupid amounts for the Championship. In an ideal world they could do with shipping out the bulk of the squad but that isn't going to happen.

Chris Brunt is not going to help that, I was being kind to a player I much admire. Yes no doubt he will pick up a pay cheque and I he won't phone it in which some of those already there have been doing for sometime now but he is not what they need.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:29:43 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3792 on: June 10, 2020, 11:58:11 PM »

Look on the bright side. With him signing for Stoke it's closer for you than the roundtrip to the Hawthorns. If they have an early kick off you could be back up to Anfield in time to watch your other heroes later in the day whilst also saving on petrol. Absolute bonus  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3793 on: June 11, 2020, 12:12:48 AM »
Look on the bright side. With him signing for Stoke it's closer for you than the roundtrip to the Hawthorns. If they have an early kick off you could be back up to Anfield in time to watch your other heroes later in the day whilst also saving on petrol. Absolute bonus  ;D .

Classic.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3794 on: June 11, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »

Now now Danny, you know my chauffeur would never facilitate a dream day out like that...  ;)

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3795 on: June 11, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »

Never going to get 10 assists. Didn't he only manage 6 in the season we had Gayle and Rodriguez up front and he was taking corners.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3796 on: June 11, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »
Never going to get 10 assists. Didn't he only manage 6 in the season we had Gayle and Rodriguez up front and he was taking corners.

Renowned headers of a ball.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3797 on: June 11, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »
Renowned headers of a ball.

not all goals from corners are headers though.

granted NI under O'Neill did rely on set pieces a lot, a bit like a Pulis side. Haven't seen enough of Stoke under him to say whether they play the same way.

I'm still happy to say that Brunt won't get 10 assists for Stoke next season though...or did you mean 10 assists during his whole time at Stoke?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3798 on: June 11, 2020, 10:55:22 AM »
not all goals from corners are headers though.

granted NI under O'Neill did rely on set pieces a lot, a bit like a Pulis side. Haven't seen enough of Stoke under him to say whether they play the same way.

I'm still happy to say that Brunt won't get 10 assists for Stoke next season though...or did you mean 10 assists during his whole time at Stoke?

I'm not sure that CB will get 10 full games next season !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3799 on: June 11, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »
Brunt has also become more prone to calf strains etc. in the last 2 or 3 years. There has to be doubt about how his body would hold up to regular starts next year, though I doubt he would be a regular starter.