Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2349573 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5625 on: October 01, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »
You only pay corporation tax on profits.  And you can also only take dividends out of profits (once corporation tax is paid).  We must have made a healthy profit that season.

Football clubs are weird, a struggling club will tend to be sold more often - just because the current regime will want out and someone else will think they can pick it up cheaply.

I think of football clubs as rich mans pubs, ie, despite pubs being a very poor way to make money and requiring a great deal of effort to support, there are plenty of ordinary Joes who think they can do what others cannot, pubs are often more a romantic venture than a pure business venture. Which seems to be the case with rich blokes and footy clubs, IMO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5626 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
It seems to me that we drew the short straw here,Villa and Wolves get the big spending owners,i think our guy for whatever strange reasons I keep hearing(he cant get his money out) not that old chestnut,has no intention of spending much, I mean we sold Chadli on deadline day for 10million,surely we knew that was going to happen,and then spent 4 and sixpence getting in Mears, this guy makes Peace look like Richard Prior in Brewsters Millions.

Villa's owner isn't loaded, he was just being financially clever in order to make it look like he was. He wasn't as clever as he thought he was, securing loans etc against Premier League money which never came, and had it not been for further investment this past summer the whole house of cards would have come crashing down.

Wolves owners haven't spent that much either. We spent more last summer. Granted they have some eye-catching additions (Neves in particular), but for every Neves or Jota there is a Ryan Bennett or John Ruddy. It's a balanced approach, based around creating a competitive squad.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5627 on: October 01, 2018, 09:45:54 PM »
Villa's owner isn't loaded, he was just being financially clever in order to make it look like he was. He wasn't as clever as he thought he was, securing loans etc against Premier League money which never came, and had it not been for further investment this past summer the whole house of cards would have come crashing down.

Wolves owners haven't spent that much either. We spent more last summer. Granted they have some eye-catching additions (Neves in particular), but for every Neves or Jota there is a Ryan Bennett or John Ruddy. It's a balanced approach, based around creating a competitive squad.
Wolves have spent millions more than we have recently,we are not even close

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5628 on: October 01, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »

just checked on the online transfer market listings we spent around 12million , Wolves spent around 63million

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5629 on: October 02, 2018, 12:11:34 AM »
I don't think the Dingle situation is going to be allowed to continue in the prem if they threaten the top 4.

I cannot believe that they have got away with it so far, with having a stake in mendes's agency and nobody thinking there is conflict of interest.

He is mourinho's agent and nuno's and therefore fuson have a stake in both managers.

If the two managers played a game that meant something like deciding a 4th place finish for say spurs and a certain result would help his clients there is no way the rest of the clubs are going to accept such a scenario and one person (company and their shareholders fosun) having such potential influence.

That example is just managers and when you think of players he has at different clubs the situation is worse.

If the situation did arise then they would just sell their interest in the agency I suppose.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:29:14 AM by MarkW »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5630 on: October 02, 2018, 01:18:48 AM »
Just thought I would clarify the 2016 £27m "dividend"

There are 3 companies in the corporate structure as at 30th June 2016.

West Bromwich Albion Ltd which is the operating company and is 100% owned by

West Bromwich Albion Group Ltd which is the intermediate holding company the minority shareholders own 12.2% of this company with the balance being owned by

West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd which is the ultimate parent and 100% owned by Peace and it is this entity that was sold to Lai's company Yunyi Guokai.   

This company structure remains in place.

In 2016 WBA ltd paid a dividend to Group. However neither Group nor Holdings paid a dividend nor have they in 2017. Therefore the money has not been paid to Peace or any other party it is or was sitting in WBA Group and formed the bigger part of the cash balance largely squandered by Williams.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5631 on: October 02, 2018, 01:23:06 AM »

West Bromwich Albion Group Ltd which is the intermediate holding company the minority shareholders own 12.2% of this company with the balance being owned by

West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd which is the ultimate parent and 100% owned by Peace and it is this entity that was sold to Lai's company Yunyi Guokai.   

In 2016 WBA ltd paid a dividend to Group. However neither Group nor Holdings paid a dividend nor have they in 2017. Therefore the money has not been paid to Peace or any other party it is or was sitting in WBA Group and formed the bigger part of the cash balance largely squandered by Williams.

Come on fella, don't let the ACTUAL facts get in the way of a good Peace/club bashing!!! Tut tut.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5632 on: October 02, 2018, 03:05:20 AM »

If it is sitting in the group accounts, where is it because it should have had an entry in the filed accounts as cash in hand or other reserves.

Whether it was squandered or not, the entries would have been there in the accounts as opening figures and the post "squandering" figures.

So please provide the pages of the accounts which show this introduction of £27m into the group company.

I couldn't find it, so I would appreciate your assistance in locating the money.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5633 on: October 02, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »

Are the  owners of the 12.2% listed ??
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5634 on: October 02, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »
just checked on the online transfer market listings we spent around 12million , Wolves spent around 63million

I mean Summer 2017, where we spent £10 million plus on three players, etc.

ashdoy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5635 on: October 29, 2018, 01:18:27 PM »
After following the awful events over the weekend, and readin so much about Leicester's owner, makes me wish our owner had as much input as he did. To see so much generosity towards the club and community as a whole showcases just how a club should be run. Lai has been to a handful of games and has provided no real input at all.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5636 on: October 29, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
After following the awful events over the weekend, and readin so much about Leicester's owner, makes me wish our owner had as much input as he did. To see so much generosity towards the club and community as a whole showcases just how a club should be run. Lai has been to a handful of games and has provided no real input at all.

As much as I agree we this, I think Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was the exception to the norm rather than the other way round.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5637 on: October 29, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
As much as I agree we this, I think Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha was the exception to the norm rather than the other way round.

Wasn't he also based in this country?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5638 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »

Lai has been a largely absent owner, barely spoken a word to us since his arrival really... As you say, when you look at the Leicester owner in comparison it makes Lai look kinda crappy to be honest.

"But he bought us a beer that one time" big deal...

As a club we are struggling a little with community and cohesion at the moment; A couple of bad games and the cracks start coming back to the surface almost immediately; After 3-4 years of the tripe being served up on the pitch and the rubbish that was going on in the background the last couple of season as well we really needed something to galvanise behind besides our (very naive at times) manager and really, the owner should have been the one to step up to the mark, get his hands dirty and get more involved with the club, the fans, the community etc.

The only exception to this is with the Albion Foundation which does help in this regard - He doesn't get involved himself and frustratingly, the club barely mention the good work the foundation are doing, but Lai is at least putting the money into it for now... Let's see if that continue if we don't make it back up to the greed league next season.

Just a few words from him every once in a while would really help I think too.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5639 on: October 30, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
Lai has been a largely absent owner, barely spoken a word to us since his arrival really... As you say, when you look at the Leicester owner in comparison it makes Lai look kinda crappy to be honest.

As a club we are struggling a little with community and cohesion at the moment; A couple of bad games and the cracks start coming back to the surface almost immediately; After 3-4 years of the tripe being served up on the pitch and the rubbish that was going on in the background the last couple of season as well we really needed something to galvanise behind besides our (very naive at times) manager and really, the owner should have been the one to step up to the mark, get his hands dirty and get more involved with the club, the fans, the community etc.

The only exception to this is with the Albion Foundation which does help in this regard - He doesn't get involved himself and frustratingly, the club barely mention the good work the foundation are doing, but Lai is at least putting the money into it for now... Let's see if that continue if we don't make it back up to the greed league next season.

Sorry mate but the O/S is full of stories about the foundation, so you can't say they don't mention it. Since the start of the season there have been something like 50+ stories about the Foundation.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:14:16 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5640 on: October 31, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
Sorry mate but the O/S is full of stories about the foundation, so you can't say they don't mention it. Since the start of the season there have been something like 50+ stories about the Foundation.

Yes, They have increased the news from the foundation this season on the O/S so yes i'm pleased about that, It was hyperbole for sure that I was using, but they still do some unsung hard work at ground level at times.

That said, the main point of my post was about our absent owner maybe stepping out of the shadows once in a while... for the moment I don't see it happening and presume he'll only come on to the scene more often if/when we get back to the prem!
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5641 on: October 31, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »
Yes, They have increased the news from the foundation this season on the O/S so yes i'm pleased about that, It was hyperbole for sure that I was using, but they still do some unsung hard work at ground level at times.

That said, the main point of my post was about our absent owner maybe stepping out of the shadows once in a while... for the moment I don't see it happening and presume he'll only come on to the scene more often if/when we get back to the prem!

Sadly I think you are right about that, it would have been good if he'd have released a statement of intent before the season started, not just that we are aiming for promotion but how we are trying to achieve it. I'm glad he's not like the mad doctor over at B6 but there has to be an achievable middle ground, rather than the stony silence.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5642 on: October 31, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »
He's clearly a silent owner who really is not interested in engaging with the fans directly. That's fair enough and his choice. I don't think we can criticise him as such other than his decision to appoint Williams/ Goodman or to let them spend so much money on dross although he would've trusted others to be the judge of this. He's not cut off funds as far as I can see and seems to have entrusted Jenkins to apply the old (Peace) strategy again.

I will say though that he's proven he's nowhere near the kind of owners Leeds or Wolves have for example who seem to have a genuine football interest and want to see their clubs grow.

Under Lai, the best we can hope for is to achieve something similar to what we achieved under Peace, promotion and stay there for a few years .................the worst.....let's not go there

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5643 on: October 31, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »

I attended a supporters club do recently. Rob Lake, Director of the Albion Foundation, gave a talk re the Foundation and it's funding. The Albion give the Foundation a platform; kits, training kits and access to certain facilities etc. Much of their work is also carried out in schools and the community.

However, Albion do not directly fund the Foundation per se and to my knowledge they never have. By this I mean they don't receive a share of total revenue. Money for the Foundation from the Albion comes via a percentage of TV revenue alone.

Following relegation this money dropped significantly. Further funding comes from sponsored events and donations. The Foundation are currently exploring the signing over of properties via last will and testament, as are other foundations throughout the League.

The Albion Foundation is in effect a separate charitable entity to West Bromwich Albion FC.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5644 on: October 31, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
Sadly I think you are right about that, it would have been good if he'd have released a statement of intent before the season started, not just that we are aiming for promotion but how we are trying to achieve it. I'm glad he's not like the mad doctor over at B6 but there has to be an achievable middle ground, rather than the stony silence.
It's a stony silence all round at present. Nothing at all from Li Piyue since his appointment as Chairman and even Jenkins has gone quiet now.

Mickyfudge

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #5645 on: October 31, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
Hope he is prepared to spend money on our squad if we get promoted ,I hate to think of the majority of our players being any where near the prem

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5646 on: October 31, 2018, 11:30:45 PM »
Meanwhile Wolves have just spent £16 million on a new keeper to add to their already impressive squad. What the hell has happened to us?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5647 on: October 31, 2018, 11:38:25 PM »
Meanwhile Wolves have just spent £16 million on a new keeper to add to their already impressive squad. What the hell has happened to us?
Lai obviously thinks we are little fish in a big pool....No imagination or foresight. Totally an investor who just dabbles. Just accept !!!

Mickyfudge

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #5648 on: November 01, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
I think it is vital that we start playing the kids ,it is obvious that we are not going to spend any money and most of our players are going to be way over the top if we do manage to get promoted

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5649 on: November 01, 2018, 12:57:50 PM »
Interesting that give the parachute payments are running out at Norwich they have reverted to youth policy and guess where they are now !!  (its a snap shot accepted)
Albion Family !!!