Author Topic: Play off Points Target  (Read 10190 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Play off Points Target
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2024, 04:52:35 PM »
I think 75 points will be enough to lock up 6th. We should be able to get at least that and with luck have that before we go into the last 3 games. It is absolutely in our hands.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2024, 07:45:22 AM »
Memories of Port Vale doing the double over us in ‘93 and us doing them at the old Wembley.
We shouldn’t fear anyone.
Baggie Down Under 🙃

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2024, 09:12:25 AM »
Memories of Port Vale doing the double over us in ‘93 and us doing them at the old Wembley.
We shouldn’t fear anyone.

They were our bogey team at the time, we seemed to always lose to them with Ian Taylor always on the scoresheet. That’s my memory anyway!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2024, 09:43:37 AM »
5 games left, we might just hang on bur were running out of time to build the momentum needed to win the play offs. We will be facing 2 sides well above us in the table, and then likely Boro or Coventry who will have the momentum to take us on.

We might start go gel in the likes of Phillips and Maja in the last few league games, but running out of time to do so.
Boing Boing

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2024, 09:46:47 AM »
5 games left, we might just hang on bur were running out of time to build the momentum needed to win the play offs. We will be facing 2 sides well above us in the table, and then likely Boro or Coventry who will have the momentum to take us on.

We might start go gel in the likes of Phillips and Maja in the last few league games, but running out of time to do so.

As I've said in the Corberan thread, some of the data points to us getting worse in recent weeks, despite picking up points. Five games left and players to return means we still have the opportunity to turn things around before the play offs, and I back Corberan to resolve these issues.

He/him

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2024, 05:44:21 PM »
2 games with a big impact for us this evening. Norwich at Sheff Wed. and Coventry at Southampton. If Norwich win, they overtake us. If Coventry win, they are just 3 points behind with a game in hand.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 05:47:02 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2024, 05:56:23 PM »
2 games with a big impact for us this evening. Norwich at Sheff Wed. and Coventry at Southampton. If Norwich win, they overtake us. If Coventry win, they are just 3 points behind with a game in hand.

They won’t have a game in hand at that point. If we lose tomorrow and Coventry have won today - then the above will apply.

It’s likely that we’ll win, and that Coventry probably won’t win so hopefully it’ll be us 9 points ahead with Cov having a game in hand.*

*I can see this post aging poorly by 10pm tomorrow!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2024, 10:29:01 PM »
Interesting results tonight. 10 points from the 15 remaining will do us. This doesn't include fixtures where clubs play each other. Looking good though.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2024, 10:36:42 PM »
Results looked good for us tonight, but Preston on a roll??

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2024, 10:45:11 PM »
Results looked good for us tonight, but Preston on a roll??

Preston have to play Norwich, Southampton, Leicester and us so they will have to do well to get top 6. Win both our games this week and i 'think' that might be enough.
Smethwick..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2024, 11:01:28 PM »
Given that Norwich play Preston and Hull play both Coventry and 'Boro. I am 99% confident that 78 points will be enough just because it is really difficult to see two teams getting maximum points and in the case of Hull and Preston making up significant deficits in goal difference. Right now I would be shocked if 76 isn't enough for 6th place.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2024, 08:16:38 AM »
 As long as we qualify we won't have to play Norwich,Hull,Boro,Coventry or Preston till Wembley so we would only have to face them in a one off match if we get to Wembley we would have to beat third or fourth over two legs to get there.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2024, 08:29:48 AM »
76 points will basically almost certainly be enough given how the games shake out, Norwich would have to get over 2 points per game for their remaining fixtures (so meaning they need to win 3 of their remaining 4) and one of the other 3 teams who can get over 76 points that would have to win every single game. Not technically impossible but incredibly unlikely.

I'd say its more likely it will be less than 76 points needed, but 76 points would be the "safe" total.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2024, 11:08:29 AM »
76 points will basically almost certainly be enough given how the games shake out, Norwich would have to get over 2 points per game for their remaining fixtures (so meaning they need to win 3 of their remaining 4) and one of the other 3 teams who can get over 76 points that would have to win every single game. Not technically impossible but incredibly unlikely.

I'd say its more likely it will be less than 76 points needed, but 76 points would be the "safe" total.

Old adage of one game at a time is still the right way to look at it IMV. Everyone expects us to beat Rotherham tonight but you only have to look at the upsets last night to Norwich, Leeds, Leicester to understand that nothing is guaranteed in this league.

Best case scenario we get the top six spot wrapped up by this weekend, but we have to beat Rotherham first to give ourselves the opportunity.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2024, 11:46:33 AM »
Old adage of one game at a time is still the right way to look at it IMV. Everyone expects us to beat Rotherham tonight but you only have to look at the upsets last night to Norwich, Leeds, Leicester to understand that nothing is guaranteed in this league.

Best case scenario we get the top six spot wrapped up by this weekend, but we have to beat Rotherham first to give ourselves the opportunity.

Spot on. I remember a few seasons ago we were playing Wigan at home, who were in the bottom three, everyone was predicting an easy win and we got beat 1-0.

Sides with nothing to play for (apart from pride) can be a huge banana skin as the pressure is off them and they can play with more freedom. There is the flip side though in that the last thing Rotherham will want is another heavy defeat.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2024, 12:14:35 PM »
Agree with Dan in terms of points that ultimately will be required.

76 likely to be the maximum required, fairly likely at this stage to be lower.
Norwich can get to 80, Hull 79, Coventry and Preston 78, Boro 76.

Hull and Coventry impact each other as do Hull and Middlesborough. Both Hull and Coventry also play Ipswich.    Both us and Norwich can impact Preston and they also have Southampton and Leicester to play.

7th seems far more likely to finish on 74 or less. 

Each game as it comes but should we win the next 2 home matches it may well be mathimatically done after the Leicester game, regardless of our result there
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 12:29:38 PM by johnny Cash »

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2024, 02:14:29 PM »
2 more wins will do it I think

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2024, 03:48:45 PM »
Spot on. I remember a few seasons ago we were playing Wigan at home, who were in the bottom three, everyone was predicting an easy win and we got beat 1-0.

Sides with nothing to play for (apart from pride) can be a huge banana skin as the pressure is off them and they can play with more freedom. There is the flip side though in that the last thing Rotherham will want is another heavy defeat.
Indeed and Cedric was man of the match.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2024, 05:39:59 PM »
As long as we qualify we won't have to play Norwich,Hull,Boro,Coventry or Preston till Wembley so we would only have to face them in a one off match if we get to Wembley we would have to beat third or fourth over two legs to get there.
I'd like the table to finish as it is so Ipswich and Norwich get to kick the shizzle out of each other, leaving them knackered against us after we ease past Soton...

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2024, 10:30:50 PM »
The way the results are going anyone from the top four could be promoted even though Southampton have 2 games in hand

We just need to keep winning

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2024, 05:47:46 PM »
I'm clinically insane. I've just had a flutter on us being promoted.

I'm going to be hurt twice aren't I?

I was going to bet on us staying down (a sort of comfort blanket) but they couldn't give me the odds....
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2024, 07:43:18 AM »
I'm clinically insane. I've just had a flutter on us being promoted.

I'm going to be hurt twice aren't I?

I was going to bet on us staying down (a sort of comfort blanket) but they couldn't give me the odds....

Old adage. Never bet on or against the Albion as you never know what you're going to get. Sempre te fallant and all that. COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2024, 11:06:39 AM »
Old adage. Never bet on or against the Albion as you never know what you're going to get. Sempre te fallant and all that. COYB  8) .

True but my motto, in the words of Fletcher from Porridge:
'numquam nothi tere te' (more or less).
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2024, 10:10:41 AM »
77 as of now, that's if Hull win all 4.   I can see them getting 9 or 10, so perhaps 1 win will do it.  I want us to be on the up though, not stuttering and stumbling.  Hopefully BTA's red mist will show us at least something we need NOT to do.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 10:13:10 AM by mulliganstired »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2024, 10:24:58 AM »
i can only see us getting 1 more point. the draw at home to Preston
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties