Poll

Who will be the next West Brom manager? *FINAL VOTE*

Ralf Rangnick
Chris Hughton
Andre Villas-Boas
Ray Wilkins
Michael Appleton

Author Topic: Next Manager  (Read 1276494 times)

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

Re: Next Manager
« Reply #4650 on: June 07, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
I for one am growing a bit tired of all the put-downs being posted about those who are unhappy with this prospective appointment, particularly when the put-downs come from mods. I thought that all views were supposed to be welcomed, as long as they weren't insulting or offensive? One rule for one and one for another it appears.....

Well, it is quite embarassing. Just as it would be if say "too many" people were over the top positively. ;D
Although, it has to be said that THAT occurence would be even more comical. :-X
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4651 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »
I for one am growing a bit tired of all the put-downs being posted about those who are unhappy with this prospective appointment, particularly when the put-downs come from mods. I thought that all views were supposed to be welcomed, as long as they weren't insulting or offensive? One rule for one and one for another it appears.....

Here here.I have noticed who gets his support The boys with red and blue letters the politcally correct gang
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4652 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »
It's so funny when people try to make facts up to fit the terrible story they (for what seems really sadistic reason,) want to believe.

If Steve Clarke comes, one of the best things that will happen will be that some of the expectations of the club will shoot right down. Of course, JP and DA might get some flack for it, but they haven't not taken it on behalf of their decisions before.

That is a very valid point. Us fans had started to get ideas above our station regarding league position vs income. We have been punching above our weight and the appointment of a lesser manager has brought a lof fans expectations (mine included) crashing down. A very shrewd appointment it seems as if we had appointed a Rangnick or Ranieri etc a lot of fans would have been expecting us to achieve even more. That on our budget we aren't really capable of achieving.
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4653 on: June 07, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
Any manager we appoint would be a gamble -

Rangnick - never worked in this country

AVB - not succeeded in this country

Hughton - had a half season in the premier league got sacked

Holloway - One season resulting in relegation from the premier league

Appleton, Mcinnes - Got less than 6 months of been managers in this country

Clarke - never been a manager

All the above have been linked with us and i personally feel all could do a good job, however they all are a gamble, we struck gold with Roy with the timing but other than that our appointments tend to be gambles and they usually pay off, we arent going to get Fergie, Redknapp, Moyes, Jol, Mancini, Wenger, ONeill etc to the Albion and they are the only proven managers in the Premiership.

Rodgers and Lambert both have potential to be great managers (and i think they will do well in the new jobs) but at this stage they have only had one season in the Prem, that dont make you proven, also the clubs they have gone to are bigger than us and pay better than us so we didnt have a chance of getting them.

The only other proven manager was Martinez but it would appear that Liverpool and Villa couldnt get him so you have to say he was out of our league, whether we like it or not.

90% of the appointments and signings we make are gambles, they have to be but most have a point to prove and usually succeed.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4654 on: June 07, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »
A lot of it is down to expectation levels. Whoever we got had some massive shoes to fill and with our couple of mid table finishes I think some were hoping we would kick on a bit when it comes to signing more well known players and many assume we wont be able to attract them with Clarke as boss. The reality is we are still well in the lower half of the table when it comes to signing players regardless of who the manager is, they all go where the money is these days and we aren't exactly known for throwing it around.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #4655 on: June 07, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »
This reminds me of just such an opportunity that the club have let go. It annoys me so much it really does.

It's just my personal opinion really, that the club, this time, never actually had the opportunity to take. If anything, THIS is the best opportunity, more so than getting the like of Appleton or Hughton.
WestBromwichAlbion

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4656 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Very underwhelmed and I'm annoyed it's taken this long to come to this decision.

However, I'll be 100% behind the bloke. And those who aren't can sod off down the seal sanctuary as far as I'm concerned. We're not Villa fans so don't act like one.

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #4657 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
the politcally correct gang

You take the political cake. Oh~ :-X :P

(Yes, I have been waiting for this opportunity.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:52:09 PM by Political Cake »
WestBromwichAlbion

off_foo_182

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4658 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
Is it actually official?

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4659 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:31 PM »
Is it actually official?

No thank god

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #4660 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
Is it actually official?

No, not yet. Just a huge amount of speculation and media. We shall see. ;)
WestBromwichAlbion

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4661 on: June 07, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

Where are the insults and what was offensive in any of the mods posts?

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4662 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Fantastic appointment, Steve Clarke is a great coach and remember we are looking for a head coach not a manager, people sayin we won't hold on to players is unreal, there not world beaters and he's worked with much bigger players, no one has ever said a bad thing about him. Clarke knows the premiership more than rangnick? Get behind him instead of slagging him off before hes even got the job!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4663 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
There is, but we are hiring a man who has worked with the best. Won every title their is to win in this country. We're also hiring a man with Premier League experienced. What does Holloway have? I'd feel much safer with Clarke than I would a lunatic like Holloway.

He's not won the titles - he's the coach.  How much input did he have at Chelsea?  Is he responsible for it?  How come he didn't do so well at Liverpool?  You can't claim the good things at Chelsea as a plus point without accepting how poor Liverpool were.  Appointing someone who has never picked a formation for match day as your manager.  Brilliant.

I'm not happy with this appointment - once again we take the cheap way out.  If we lose Mulumbu, Olsson, Pete, don't sign Foster, and we don't get replacements who are as good as they are, then next year we are going to struggle massively.  The only thing we can hope is the newly promoted teams struggled as so Norwich\Swansea with their new managers.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4664 on: June 07, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
Here here.I have noticed who gets his support The boys with red and blue letters
Daft thing to say,each of us have our own views.Im 50/50 on Clarke......im convinced he needs slightly bigger names or it wont work under him.Do you have a problem with the mods/admin Jack Russell?

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #4665 on: June 07, 2012, 12:53:20 PM »

Fans wishing to have refunds on their season tickets if Clarke is appointed? It's kind of embarrassing really isn't it? If you read the rest of my post you will see, that I said Clarke isn't a brilliant appointment, I'm disappointed but I'm not over reacting with a downpouring of negative drivel. I'm willing to give Clarke a chance and support him.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4666 on: June 07, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
While Steve Clarke is not my ideal choice...
Have i missed something as nowhere have i heard Ebenezzer state in a press conference that he is the new coach.
Page after page of speculation tripe and now hysteria...
Im amazed at how easily some of us fall for the rumour and then display righteous indignation when nothing has happened...
Im still holding out for Ralph, but if its not him whoever gets the job will have my backing..
Because having watched the tripe under Saunders,Wylie,Gould,Little,Buckley etc nothing we have these days is that bad!
Reading some of the comments  on here confirms why i dont come on here very often...
And i call Vile fans arrogant!

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

« Reply #4667 on: June 07, 2012, 12:53:46 PM »
I'm not happy with this appointment - once again we take the cheap way out.  If we lose Mulumbu, Olsson, Pete, don't sign Foster, and we don't get replacements who are as good as they are, then next year we are going to struggle massively.  The only thing we can hope is the newly promoted teams struggled as so Norwich\Swansea with their new managers.

That's still a huge if. I wonder if Ralf would've had more of a chance keeping players here, I for one am not so certain.
Either way, I'm not so sure the head coach as a role has much say in it either...
WestBromwichAlbion

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4668 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:17 PM »
I see many of those slagging Clarke off are those who were saying Roy should go in January.

Bless the new Prem fans we've acquired and there over expectant rants.

Probably something to do with the dross they were watching at the time

tommi

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4669 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »
Couldn't be more disappointed.

I wonder what the boards criteria was, remember we "always" looking to the future for managers, especially as Hodgson was on a short term contract.

They have shot themselves in the foot here.

Be it if they went for the man they wanted with unrealistic transfer budgets / wages? That is still their fault for identifying that person without thinking of the demands / clubs expectations.

If there criteria was to get a cheaper number 2 that will have very little inspiration for fan or player pulling power in a stage where we have finished in the top half of the EPL twice running....... absolutely shocking.

Have we outgrown our backing? Have we reached our peak?

Anyone on here care to disagree with me I would love to have some counter arguments.
West Bromwich Albion F.C. - Founded 1879

Tipton Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4670 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
why is everyone stressing over players leaving they are under contract, the squad dont need changing at all, and with a bloke being expieranced with working with bigger players than our current lot, whats wrong?

also moaning about the cheap option, RDM, hodgson, megson? How bad have they done... What was you expecting guardilola

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4671 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »
Daft thing to say,each of us have our own views.Im 50/50 on Clarke......im convinced he needs slightly bigger names or it wont work under him.Do you have a problem with the mods/admin Jack Russell?

No only an ex mod :)

Pseudo_Intel

« Reply #4672 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
@lepko Question for football fans: Have #wba #avfc #wwfc #bcfc (#blues ) ever started a new season all with new bosses in charge?

Good question - anyone have an answer?  :P

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4673 on: June 07, 2012, 12:56:21 PM »
That's still a huge if. I wonder if Ralf would've had more of a chance keeping players here, I for one am not so certain.
Either way, I'm not so sure the head coach as a role has much say in it either...
Totally agree, half the players would never have heard of rangnick, so why do people think he would keep players here more than Steve Clarke?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #4674 on: June 07, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
No only an ex mod :)
Then take it out in PM with him.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.