Author Topic: Jara disciplined for drink driving  (Read 7511 times)

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

Jara disciplined for drink driving
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
Source; Express and Star

West Bromwich Albion defender Gonzalo Jara has been “severely disciplined” by the club after he was convicted of drink-driving.

The 25-year-old Chilean international was banned from driving for 17 months and fined £1,065, plus costs, at Sutton Coldfield Magistrates’ Court.

He pleaded guilty to driving with an alcohol reading of 65 microgrammes in 100 millitres of breath – when the legal limit is 35.

The incident happened in the early hours of May 15 in Summerfield Road, Sutton Coldfield.

In a statement, an Albion spokesman said: “We are aware of the outcome of the court case and have treated this matter very seriously.

“As representatives of West Bromwich Albion, all of our players have a duty to set the right example – particularly to our younger supporters – and we do not in any way condone drink-driving.

“On top of the court’s ruling, Gonzalo has been severely disciplined by the club as his actions, which occurred before our end of season gala dinner, reflect poorly on the good name of West Bromwich Albion.

“Gonzalo is extremely remorseful for the embarrassment he has caused himself and the club, which is very much out of character.

“Having previously been a model pro since arriving from Chile just under two years ago, he has promised such conduct will not be repeated.”

A police spokesman said: “A 25-year-old man was arrested just before 4am on May 15 after being spotted driving erratically along Birmingham Road in Sutton Coldfield.

When stopped his eyes were glazed and speech slurred. When spoken to, his breath smelled of alcohol.”

Jara, who can also play in midfield, joined Albion for £1.4 million from Chilean side Colo Colo in August 2009 and has made 50 appearances, scoring two goals.

He signed a new three-year contract with the Baggies in August last year, shortly after playing a starring role for Chile at the World Cup in South Africa, where the South Americans reached the second round. He is now out of the country on international duty but is due to return to The Hawthorns for training in July.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:43:15 AM by Floydy »
Twitter: @floydy1983

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: Jara disciplined for drink driving
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:37:02 AM »
Disgraceful!! Should act as a role model to our younger supporters!! Not what you want to here.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
As if he hasn't got enough money for a taxi. I bet he wouldn't even notice the money missing if he paid a chauffeur.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:11 AM »
the club should have himdoing more stuff in the community to make amense! not very good actions for a role model
O Albion we love you

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
I bet he wouldn't even notice the money missing if he paid a chauffeur
Which presumably he will have to be doing for the next 18 months.
Whilst I agree that giving him a 'club community service' role makes the club seem like they are doing something, I always think it actually puts the community/charitable work the club does in a bad light - player X has shamed the club so let's send him off to coach some kids etc surely ALL our players should get involved with these things all the time, not just as a punishment. It also means that the offending player ends up with MORE press coverage.

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
What a twonk!
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
Nice to see peoples' reactions here. Drink driving is so stupid and dangerous it's beyond believe and the worst part is even you kill yourself, that's one thing, but you run a high risk of killing others, which is totally unacceptable.

That guy from jackass who killed himself by drinkdriving and belting it at 110mph down the motorway in his porsche, people are treating like he's a tragic victim?! Jara should be made to do alot of charity stuff to make amends.

Very dissapointed in the idiot!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
Stupid, arrogant, ignorant.

He's lucky, very lucky.
I only go for the beer.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:45:15 PM »
its stupid and silly but im not going to slate him.

Breathing 65 is four pints and although its stupid, ive drove after 3 or 4 and I bet many have.

Its irresponsible and dangerous and you can have no complaints if your caught.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
Can call himself lucky that the club haven't taken a more drastic reaction. Absolute idiot for even driving on the road after having a drink but to bring media attention to the club for the wrong reasons is what annoys me. I'd had enough of it with Hughes and Bednar and I certainly don't want to keep adding to the list.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 01:08:27 PM »
its stupid and silly but im not going to slate him.

Breathing 65 is four pints and although its stupid, ive drove after 3 or 4 and I bet many have.

Its irresponsible and dangerous and you can have no complaints if your caught.

I done it once when I first passed my test over 6 years ago. Gutted the next morning and realised what I could have lost. I have never done it again. 

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 01:18:57 PM »
Cant even begin to compare him to Hughes and Bednar, the bloke has had 3-4 pints and chanced it and got caught. None of us are perfect and most of us have broken the law at some point but because hes a footballer its magnified! Hes done the crime and now hes got the punishment dont need us lot to preach perfectness to him, im far from an angel so I would not be so hypocritical as to judge him! All I give a toss about is what he does on the pitch (which aint been the best this season!)
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Cant even begin to compare him to Hughes and Bednar, the bloke has had 3-4 pints and chanced it and got caught. None of us are perfect and most of us have broken the law at some point but because hes a footballer its magnified! Hes done the crime and now hes got the punishment dont need us lot to preach perfectness to him, im far from an angel so I would not be so hypocritical as to judge him! All I give a toss about is what he does on the pitch (which aint been the best this season!)

I weren't comparing him to them two, I was saying I don't want media attention to our club for the wrong reasons like those two had brought. No doubt this will be mentioned over the news tonight.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »
Although stupid we need to be mindful it was after a game where he'd have been dehydrated so alcohol would show very easilly in his system so it could have been as little as one drink.

Not an excuse and you do the crime you do the time but im disappointed that people on various sites are feeling the need to sensationalise it and paint a picture of him being smashed out of his mind.

Im not perfect so won't say to much, and yes i have been a prat in the past.
I only go for the beer.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »
what's the saying?

Let him that be without sin cast the first stone.

He's a prat but 90%+ on here have done it some time in their lives.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
"His speech was slurred"

Probably because he can't he can't speak a lick of English. ;D

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 04:56:47 PM »
Hopefully this will be the last drink drving incident at the club.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 05:03:58 PM »
Very silly and extremely dangerous thing to do, thankfully no one was hurt as a result of him breaking the law and he has been dealt with by the authorities and the club. That should draw a line under the situation, we all make mistakes that we must learn from.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »
the amount of money he,s on surely he can afford a taxi! :o

baggiejules

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »
To be honest he has always come across as a bit of a prat in my opinion. This confirms it.

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
Can call himself lucky that the club haven't taken a more drastic reaction. Absolute idiot for even driving on the road after having a drink but to bring media attention to the club for the wrong reasons is what annoys me. I'd had enough of it with Hughes and Bednar and I certainly don't want to keep adding to the list.

Completely agree what a ****  :o You'd think he'd have people banging on to him all the time warning him against such behaviour. And i agree the list is slowly growing and we do not want a reputation for such foolish and irresponsible acts
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
Silly boy.

At least he can afford the taxi fares.

clintsmoker

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 12:27:09 AM »
what's happened to Jara? He got worse and worse last year. Bad tackling, out of position, poor passing and caps it off with this!
Hope he turns it around he was a class act when he arrived.

baggiejules

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »
Jara's best performances in the Championship came from centre mid in my opinion. He looked quality there last season.

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
Stupid and irresponsible.
Lucky no one was injured and lucky it wont impact on his ability to work as im sure it would on any of us in the real world.
But in the scheme of things no one was injured and id only condemn him if he does it again.