Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369884 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #9700 on: September 03, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »
You’ve only had to repeat that how many times?
There will still be some on here think that Lai takes the money from the programme sellers outside the ground.

I know - incredible after all this time!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9701 on: September 19, 2023, 04:30:15 PM »
Percy

New - West Brom are in talks with potential new owners over a £50m takeover, to avoid a player fire sale. Parties from US & Middle East interested, with WBA intent on agreeing a deal this year. Club currently under big pressure to raise cash in Jan #wba

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9702 on: September 19, 2023, 04:46:14 PM »
Percy

New - West Brom are in talks with potential new owners over a £50m takeover, to avoid a player fire sale. Parties from US & Middle East interested, with WBA intent on agreeing a deal this year. Club currently under big pressure to raise cash in Jan #wba

Nothing we already didn't  know. But somewhat worryingly that we are not close to a sale. These things take months and January not far away.

We need to sell soon

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9703 on: September 19, 2023, 04:49:22 PM »
Its good news that Lai may be hopefully sellling our great club. 

The bad news is Ken is in charge of selling us, so we could end up with worse owners !

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #9704 on: September 19, 2023, 04:49:56 PM »

Nothing we already didn't  know. But somewhat worryingly that we are not close to a sale. These things take months and January not far away.

We need to sell soon

Tbf I didn't know we were in any serious talks.

Last I heard was the Blockchain guy who wants a small stake

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9705 on: September 19, 2023, 05:01:30 PM »
F it. Let’s have some of that sport washing oil money!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9706 on: September 19, 2023, 05:25:44 PM »
Percy

The telegraph article is interesting, summary:

- Ken is leading the takeover talks with potential buyers from Middle East and USA. Club is available for sale for £50-60m. Talks are at an early stage. They are trying to get a sale agreed before January to avoid having to sell players in the January window.

-Bartley is on £35k a week (Devon will be delighted). We had talks about paying up his contract that didn’t go far.

-We turned down a £3m bid from Boro for Wallace this summer, as well as bids from Stoke for BTA and Coventry came in for Swift at the last minute, after deciding these bids were derisory / fire sale without time to bring replacements in. So pressure is on now to get new owners in or to look to sell players in January.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9707 on: September 19, 2023, 05:53:22 PM »
We know we are for sale. The news is that face to face talks have taken place so things have progressed beyond the initial enquiry and both parties seem to think there is a deal to be done. US or Middle Eastern based is no big surprise given that those two regions with any interest in buying English football clubs.

That is all the good news because we are still potentially months away from any deal and the consequence of it not happening would seem to be more player sales in January (who and for how much is anybody's guess whatever was on the table for a player this summer is likely to be less in January)

However this turns out the end of the Lai era is in sight but the transition is not guaranteed to be painless.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9708 on: September 19, 2023, 06:15:42 PM »
I’ll be amazed if it’s done before the end of the year.

I really hope so mind and that we get some owners who want to take this wonderful club to a place it really deserves.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9709 on: September 19, 2023, 06:45:25 PM »
Sell us to someone, get as many points as possible by Christmas, so sales don't mean we're relegated and hope to all that is good that the new owners want to, at worst, run us as a break even project that they can use for advertising or something. As long as the new owners aren't actively taking funds out the club it has to be a positive. It's just a crying shame that our relatively positive years seem to be over for now.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9710 on: September 19, 2023, 09:10:18 PM »
Sell us to someone, get as many points as possible by Christmas, so sales don't mean we're relegated and hope to all that is good that the new owners want to, at worst, run us as a break even project that they can use for advertising or something. As long as the new owners aren't actively taking funds out the club it has to be a positive. It's just a crying shame that our relatively positive years seem to be over for now.

It'll mean something to us all though if we can just get back to days similar to the 2010s ish, which as fans we began to take for granted. I mean, i'll take being the prototype yo-yo'ing club at this stage!

I see our team from 10-12 years ago and wonder what the hell happened, we were on the cusp of greater things and got it completely wrong.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9711 on: September 19, 2023, 10:11:59 PM »
It'll mean something to us all though if we can just get back to days similar to the 2010s ish, which as fans we began to take for granted. I mean, i'll take being the prototype yo-yo'ing club at this stage!

I see our team from 10-12 years ago and wonder what the hell happened, we were on the cusp of greater things and got it completely wrong.

No just Peace wanted to line his own pockets, and couldn't give a damn about principles.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9712 on: September 20, 2023, 06:52:17 AM »
good job this geezer dont live in this country, I've got a few names for him
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

SedgleyAlbion

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #9713 on: September 20, 2023, 03:35:42 PM »
Went on TalkSPORT with White and Jordan earlier. Link below, around 20 minutes in if people are interested.

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1695200400/1695204000/

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #9714 on: September 20, 2023, 05:55:20 PM »
Good interview but cut off at the end. Informative though. Thanks
Submariners go deeper

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9715 on: September 21, 2023, 08:25:45 PM »
the price point for sale is astonishing considering the price paid. Lai has run the business in a disastrous manner. This is a lesson that the football business is not to be taken lightly and a hands off approach can result in 150m loss.

Nickwba1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9716 on: September 22, 2023, 05:02:59 AM »
It was doomed from the start. Buying a premier league club with a good infrastructure (training ground, own ground etc), multiple seasons in the league and a high purchase price. Without further investment, I'm not sure exactly what Lai's exit strategy was to better his purchasing price...

Just hoping the ongoing incremental increase in the value of the league and club would be enough to cash out in 5-10 years' time. Pure risky and shows it's someone with exceptionally poor business acumen, shortsightedness and didn't look at the plethora or clubs in the 2 divisions below to understand what can happen.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9717 on: September 22, 2023, 03:24:24 PM »
I have read a piece in the Express & Star which is essentially a rehash of the Percy's article and as such not worth the effort of posting here.

I do not wish to be critical of Mark Miles because he is doing a very difficult job and is trying to balance the needs of the playing squad with a desperate financial position. However if as reported, that in the absence of a sale that further player sales are required to get through the season, we needed to make more sales this summer. We can't run the club on the assumption of a sale. Kicking the can further down the road just makes the crunch worse when it arrives.

The only offer that was formally received was Stokes lowball offer for BTA and while it would have been generally seen as a terrible deal he will again one of the few players that will attract interest in January but if we are forced to sell the price won't be any better than it was in the last window.

Griffiths and Diangana were both seen as saleable and to an extent not essential, however whatever interest there was did not result in a bid. Neither is playing both will be out of contract in 2025 I think that option is best described as a busted flush. It to some extent shows that January is not a rerun of the previous window deals that might have happened last summer aren't necessarily going to be there in the following window. The contract clock click's down and the age clock clicks up neither is working to our advantage.

Having thought about this for a couple of days the Percy article is more bad news than good.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 03:58:45 PM by Standaman »

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9718 on: September 22, 2023, 05:17:46 PM »
The one that may entice an offer of some interest in Jan compared to Summer would surely be Diangana if he stays fit .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9719 on: September 22, 2023, 05:24:11 PM »
I was talking to somebody yesterday who was heavily involved in the Blues takeover and advised in other takeovers too.

He said the americans who have taken over Blues plan is a sensible one but also very much business minded, their plan is to get to the premier league, establish themselves and then sell for a profit.

It sounds quite obvious but apparently most of the american groups taking over clubs, that is their plan, its not to create some dynasty like the arab or state owners of clubs, its not a vanity project, things like a trophy and europe are a bonus rather than a focus, its very much business with profit to be made.

He said he isnt aware of any americans talking to us but said he only looks out for certain groups so its not to say it isnt happening but with Blues and other takeovers its buy low and aim to sell high so with us i imagine any american buyers will wait til Lai drops his price very low or we go into administration before we have buyers, i dont see them buying us anywhere near what he values us at the moment.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9720 on: September 24, 2023, 08:27:20 PM »
Papers today said we're talking with Americans. I swear I've heard this a few times before with Lai. I'm not sure whether I can take it seriously but hope it's true.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9721 on: September 25, 2023, 10:26:46 AM »
Papers today said we're talking with Americans. I swear I've heard this a few times before with Lai. I'm not sure whether I can take it seriously but hope it's true.
Any link mate ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9722 on: September 26, 2023, 03:55:28 PM »
no news by late November and we should start to worry. Deals are very rarely publicized until late in the process.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9723 on: September 26, 2023, 04:37:29 PM »
If we are looking at a completion by the end of the year something concrete e.g. a preferred bidder has to emerge by the end of October. Today I would assume that there won't be a deal until there is a significant update to suggest otherwise.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9724 on: September 26, 2023, 04:52:51 PM »
If we are looking at a completion by the end of the year something concrete e.g. a preferred bidder has to emerge by the end of October. Today I would assume that there won't be a deal until there is a significant update to suggest otherwise.

Due diligence is going to be a bummer if the ownership graphic is to be believed. Or, is down to holdings to sort that once they sell WBAFC ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!