Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369811 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #8000 on: August 16, 2022, 03:17:44 PM »
I do find it strange that we are putting money aside for next year if Lai is desperate to get us promoted. I would have thought that the money could have been put to good use by strengthening the squad to make sure we go up. It’s almost as though he is planning for another year in the championship, unless he has personally earmarked it for himself....

I think we all know what his intentions with our money are sadly.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8001 on: August 16, 2022, 03:20:27 PM »
I think we all know what his intentions with our money are sadly.

I suspect you are right....😞
MAGA!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8002 on: August 16, 2022, 03:35:51 PM »
I do find it strange that we are putting money aside for next year if Lai is desperate to get us promoted. I would have thought that the money could have been put to good use by strengthening the squad to make sure we go up. It’s almost as though he is planning for another year in the championship, unless he has personally earmarked it for himself....

I suspect it's a measured business decision.

As others have said, Lai doen't know enough about the game to make informed decisions by himself, so it's highly likely he's being advised by Ron Gourlay.

Without doubt, this summer, there are enough good players around to fill the gaps in our squad without getting involved in transfer fees. As a result, it might well be that we've identified players who should get us promoted, but in the event that we don't we have a buffer to have a go again next season.

I don't know the exact figures, but, as a Championship club with no parachute payments our income from gate receipts, merchandise sales & sponsorship is likely to be around £10 million, with a futher circa £20 million from media.
So a total income of around £30 million.

Allegedly, we currently have a wages bill of around £40 million.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8003 on: August 16, 2022, 03:41:23 PM »

Allegedly, we currently have a wages bill of around £40 million.

It was 76.9m in the PL 20/21 season.

We have lost most of the big earners since then so i imagine 35-40m tops is about right.

I could be wrong but don't we get 60m in parachute payments? So even split over 3 years thats another 20m a season average.

With the transfer fee surplus we made i'd imagine theres some headroom for Lai to 'borrow' 5m each year if he feels like it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:44:25 PM by gazberg »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8004 on: August 16, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »
It was 76.9m in the PL 20/21 season.

We have lost most of the big earners since then so i imagine 35-40m tops is about right.

I could be wrong but don't we get 60m in parachute payments? So even split over 3 years thats another 20m a season average.

With the transfer fee surplus we made i'd imagine theres some headroom for Lai to 'borrow' 5m each year if he feels like it.

Not sure it has been split evenly, in any case, from the accounts, we have around £13 million outstanding owing to other clubs on transfer fees (Karlam Grant for example).

Lai can "borrow" as much as he likes from the club, the debt will show as an asset on the accounts & we can spend it.
It's only if the borrower defaults on the loan that we have a problem.
Again, following research, business can only lend cash if they can demonstrate that it won't have a negative impact on the business.
As things stand, I believe there are enough checks and balances in place to ensure that Lai is not doing anything untoward, despite what some commentators might be saying
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8005 on: August 16, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »

Not sure it has been split evenly, in any case, from the accounts, we have around £13 million outstanding owing to other clubs on transfer fees (Karlam Grant for example).

Lai can "borrow" as much as he likes from the club, the debt will show as an asset on the accounts & we can spend it.
It's only if the borrower defaults on the loan that we have a problem.
Again, following research, business can only lend cash if they can demonstrate that it won't have a negative impact on the business.
As things stand, I believe there are enough checks and balances in place to ensure that Lai is not doing anything untoward, despite what some commentators might be saying

Much appreciated John!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8006 on: August 16, 2022, 04:39:03 PM »
I suspect it's a measured business decision.

As others have said, Lai doen't know enough about the game to make informed decisions by himself, so it's highly likely he's being advised by Ron Gourlay..........

You could well be right but I suspect there's a simpler explanation. JP used to follow a three year spending cycle when Jenkins was in situ. I suspect he's adopted his version of 'the three year plan' because it's worked before and he's hoping for the same again.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8007 on: August 16, 2022, 10:49:59 PM »
Who? Just a name to most

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8008 on: August 17, 2022, 10:22:06 AM »
quite possibly our worst owner ever, whos going to put money into china to purchase us. bring trev the shed back.
not good times for the Albion that's for sure
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8009 on: August 17, 2022, 10:12:42 PM »
Need some serious noise against this man this season, need to make him unwelcome and get him to realise he needs to sell us.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8010 on: August 17, 2022, 10:14:31 PM »
Whatever you see at Man Utd is happening at Albion just on a smaller scale...

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8011 on: August 17, 2022, 10:15:17 PM »
One of the very worst owners. Im not sure how this bloke made his money. It has to be property which is almost foolproof if you got the capital to start with

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8012 on: August 17, 2022, 10:21:01 PM »
He is absolutely a person who is totally out of his depth.
How the rest of his group tolerate him even, is not understandable.
I follow world wide markets to privately invest in for my pension etc.
btw.. Last week, I was up over £2K, Ooh, I love being a free lancing pensioner who follows and invests.
It mostly works.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8013 on: August 17, 2022, 10:22:55 PM »
He is absolutely a person who is totally out of his depth.
How the rest of his group tolerate him even, is not understandable.
I follow world wide markets to privately invest in for my pension etc.
btw.. Last week, I was up over £2K, Ooh, I love being a free lancing pensioner who follows and invests.
It mostly works.

I'll never forget that company you told me about. Luckily I didn't invest in them.  :P

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8014 on: August 17, 2022, 10:34:42 PM »
One of the very worst owners. Im not sure how this bloke made his money. It has to be property which is almost foolproof if you got the capital to start with
related to prem of China

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8015 on: August 17, 2022, 10:42:07 PM »
related to prem of China

That will do it then

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8016 on: August 17, 2022, 10:45:49 PM »
related to prem of China

Is that true? Never seen it reported before?
Boing Boing

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8017 on: August 18, 2022, 07:12:55 AM »
We have been going down hill since this clown took over the reins.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8018 on: August 18, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
We have been going down hill since this clown took over the reins.

I'd say more like we fell off a cliff under this joker. It was apparent we were doomed relatively quickly

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8019 on: August 18, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »
Here is a quote from business boys leaving speech;

Albion have to grow and the potential to do so under the new owners is very real.

I've been over to China to meet with Guochuan and visit the offices of Palm and their management team. I believe what they presented takes the right long-term view for the Club, a belief that has grown throughout this process.

Would love to have seen that presentation!

What a load of b******t, well done Business boy.....
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8020 on: August 18, 2022, 08:52:19 AM »

Albion have to grow and the potential to do so under the new owners is very real.

I've been over to China to meet with Guochuan and visit the offices of Palm and their management team. I believe what they presented takes the right long-term view for the Club, a belief that has grown throughout this process.

That 'presentation'  was the number he was offering written down on paper and showed to JP.  It was a lot higher than other interested parties JP quickly noticed.

"THAT'LL DO" signed sealed and delivered

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8021 on: August 18, 2022, 09:00:07 AM »
Lai's ownership is the single biggest issue preventing the club moving forward. Instead he's presided over failure and neglect. It's amazing that fans are still focusing on Bruce and the players when the real problem is Lai and his awful ownership

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8022 on: August 18, 2022, 09:24:32 AM »

I was actually supportive of Peace at Albion. Seemed like he tried to run Albion in a sustainable way in a world of overspending and financial mismanagement. But his legacy is selling to Lai and it’s increasingly unforgivable.

It’s no surprise this thread is active every time we get a bad result - the fish rots from the head and the fans know where the blame ultimately lies.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8023 on: August 18, 2022, 09:26:57 AM »
I wonder if there are still Albion fans that think Lai is a good owner?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #8024 on: August 18, 2022, 09:39:11 AM »
Total mis-management from him.