Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369813 times)

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #7850 on: April 04, 2022, 09:26:30 AM »
Chelsea are European Champions, World Champions and have a decent Squad and a Brilliant Manager who prospective Buyers would trust enough to give him lots of money as he can but quality players that fit with how Tuchel wants to play. Or they will bring someone in if they don't agree. Also Chelsea is in London a brighter prospect to invest in than next to the M5 in West Bromwich, We don't have any sort of recent pedigree, or a decent team and we have Steve Bruce someone who probably wouldn't trust to bring in new players if you knew anything about football. Also we have to potentially buy lots of players, sack/pay Bruce off, sort out the board, youth academy, and possibly redevelope the infrastructure meaning the more money the new owners put in the more the club may enter debt or you won't get it back or when the new guy in charge and his team get promoted to the Prem you may not able to back him or could face FFP. Chelsea also have several billionaire fans who would take them over in a heartbeat. We don't have many who could afford what Lai wants. Back to Lai he was given a decent Clun in prospective, all he had to do was keep everything Peace had in place and not change dramatically. Even keep Pulis the man would have had us out of the rut. But no and here we are.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7851 on: April 04, 2022, 09:33:02 AM »
I’m not sure what the exit strategy is from the owner now. We are a long way short of returning to the Premier League. And even if that happened, what resources would there be to stay there?

So who would buy and give him his money back (if that’s what he’s hoping for)?

I just can’t quite see where this ends.

He’s not going to get his money back. We don’t seem likely to be a Premier League club again for the foreseeable future. The value of the club is declining. What’s the way out?

He missed the boat to exit on bad terms whilst we were in the premier league, he and his backers now have to become the next Venkys (watching their promising club fester in League One/ Championship for the long term) or exit on horrendous terms to escape the inevitable anger that fans (in my view) will eventually pour onto the board. I'm a bit angry now but mostly sad at what's happened to us. It's like the heart has been ripped out of the club over the past few years and like the current home strip, I'm struggling to recognise the club from what attracted me to it for 40 years.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7852 on: April 04, 2022, 10:04:23 AM »
Chelsea are European Champions, World Champions and have a decent Squad and a Brilliant Manager who prospective Buyers would trust enough to give him lots of money as he can but quality players that fit with how Tuchel wants to play. Or they will bring someone in if they don't agree. Also Chelsea is in London a brighter prospect to invest in than next to the M5 in West Bromwich, We don't have any sort of recent pedigree, or a decent team and we have Steve Bruce someone who probably wouldn't trust to bring in new players if you knew anything about football. Also we have to potentially buy lots of players, sack/pay Bruce off, sort out the board, youth academy, and possibly redevelope the infrastructure meaning the more money the new owners put in the more the club may enter debt or you won't get it back or when the new guy in charge and his team get promoted to the Prem you may not able to back him or could face FFP. Chelsea also have several billionaire fans who would take them over in a heartbeat. We don't have many who could afford what Lai wants. Back to Lai he was given a decent Clun in prospective, all he had to do was keep everything Peace had in place and not change dramatically. Even keep Pulis the man would have had us out of the rut. But no and here we are.

I get all that BB, but they were not all that a few years ago, they were just another club. Newcastle will be up there soon
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7853 on: April 04, 2022, 10:42:13 AM »
Lai assumed control in sept 2016, so 66 months ago, in that time the clubs value has declined by about £120-150M

lets pitch in the middle of that at £132m or £2m a month,

At this rate we have about 6 months left with ANY value, (ie september!!!)  now I know these things are not simple straight line forecasts BUT it does put into sharp focus just how badly this man has run the club. There will be a bloke in jersey thinking, "could I do it again???"

i would welcome him(baldy) back with Meggo in tow at this point. I know there is a not-insignificant amount of animosity towards the bald one but things are SO bad anything has to be better than what is coming next.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 12:06:46 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7854 on: April 04, 2022, 10:45:32 AM »
I tend to agree with you, Skyclad. We're not a sexy football concept for an investor but then Newcastle are not so different.

We just need someone with vision.

Maybe Lai could could table a deal Dragon's Den style where he gets half of the money now with the full amount if the next owner can turn the club's fortunes around in 18 months time.....!!
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7855 on: April 04, 2022, 11:53:23 AM »
Don't forget JP only sold to someone that can take the club to the next level. We all assumed in the Premier League and not League 1

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7856 on: April 04, 2022, 01:59:15 PM »
We can forget the Premier League now unless we get rid of this awful owner and somehow attract a generous multi-billionaire. If we do not we will be in the championship doldrums for many seasons or even worse.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7857 on: April 04, 2022, 04:42:34 PM »
We can forget the Premier League now unless we get rid of this awful owner and somehow attract a generous multi-billionaire. If we do not we will be in the championship doldrums for many seasons or even worse.

That’s the thing. I can’t see how he gets out.

Things were dire under the likes of Sid Lucas, John Silk, Trevor Summers and Tony Hale - but at least they were local guys who actually loved the club.

And there was always a chance that they’d go - they were Chairmen, not owners. And they did.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7858 on: April 04, 2022, 05:09:08 PM »
Lai is faced with losing a lot of money or the best part of all of it.

I know what i would do but i'm not Lai.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7859 on: April 04, 2022, 05:22:22 PM »
The best we can hope for is he cuts and runs this summer and we finally get a decent owner.

I doubt we’re with £50-75m presently.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7860 on: April 04, 2022, 07:39:19 PM »
Take the m away and you are about right.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7861 on: April 04, 2022, 08:15:46 PM »
It's interesting that we can't speculate on new managers on here but no problem about owners.

PLEASE don't change that policy though mods, it's out only source of hope. However faint.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7862 on: April 04, 2022, 08:23:07 PM »
I fear we are stuck with Lai for quite some time. And during this time it's only going to get worse. As each year goes by we will shop for cheaper and cheaper players. If SB leaves then the next appointment will define our next 10 years

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7863 on: April 06, 2022, 02:31:00 PM »
Our downfall (plummet) started when he took "control" for want of a better word.
We were the only West midlands club in the Premiership and still he was not forceful in investing in the future of the club.
We have changed the Hurdy Gurdy man in charge of the players on the pitch, but no matter who cranks the handle, the Hurdy Gurdy continues to churn out the same tune.
Eventually the old box will collapse, and might as well be thrown on the scrap heap, meaning a massive financial loss for the owner.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7864 on: April 06, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »
Perhaps this is not that big of a loss to him personally? maybe he has bigger fish to fry in China? there must be some reason a club is purchased for 180million and the owner doesn't seem interested.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7865 on: April 06, 2022, 05:15:18 PM »
Perhaps this is not that big of a loss to him personally? maybe he has bigger fish to fry in China? there must be some reason a club is purchased for 180million and the owner doesn't seem interested.

I think it would be a seismic loss to him [or whoever he represents] to be fair. When 'honest Jez' sold him the club I imagine he was told what a cash cow it was and how the money would just roll in without any further investment. Alternatively, it may be that he was/is interested, but as sods law would dictate, just when he paid over all his savings to a Jersey bank account the Chinese Government put a total block on money leaving the country for football purposes.

I think he is interested [mainly in getting his money back] which is why we had the 'night of the long knives' a few months ago. Lai is now in full control and his faithful sidekick Ron is now the CEO. Anyone noticed any difference?

Me neither.   
MAGA!

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7866 on: April 18, 2022, 09:05:26 PM »
IF? !!!  He is an honourable man, he will fall on his sword.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7867 on: April 18, 2022, 09:19:14 PM »
He'll be sacking Bruce , can see it coming .
Gourlay too if he doesn't like it .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7868 on: April 18, 2022, 09:39:45 PM »
Who is this person called Lai? Just a donkey who has been led by a nose clip

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7869 on: April 18, 2022, 09:42:59 PM »
I'm sorry but I am done with this club until Lai has gone. Been a complete and utter cluster **** since his arrival.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7870 on: April 18, 2022, 09:47:40 PM »
Dunno who he is. Dunno what he wants. Dunno why he wants anything to do with a football club.

If he thinks he’s getting his money back, he’s as deluded as he is incompetent at running a football club.

He bought a club that had built itself step by step over 15 years through Megson, Peace, Ashworth.

He appointed the likes of Dowling and let the goon destroy an academy that was finally starting to bear fruit as it has been stripped of its talent and coaches, as the control and togetherness of the club began to unravel at an alarming rate. It’s a mess.

Lai should be the subject of public, personal dissent and shaming in an attempt to remove him.. We all know how important saving face is in Chinese culture. Shame and embarrass the the bloke with loud, vocal and angry dissent and we’ll smoke this louse out in 18 months.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7871 on: April 18, 2022, 09:48:43 PM »
Dunno who he is. Dunno what he wants. Dunno why he wants anything to do with a football club.

If he thinks he’s getting his money back, he’s as deluded as he is incompetent at running a football club.

He bought a club that had built itself step by step over 15 years through Megson, Peace, Ashworth.

He appointed the likes of Dowling and let the goon destroy an academy that was finally starting to bear fruit as it has been stripped of its talent and coaches.

Lai should be the subject of public, personal dissent and shaming in an attempt to remove him.. We all know how important saving face is in Chinese culture. Shame and embarrass the the bloke with loud, vocal and angry dissent and we’ll smoke this louse out in 18 months.

Albion fans won't do that sadly.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7872 on: April 18, 2022, 09:49:21 PM »
I'm amazed at the fans apathy to Lai, he's ruined this club and hasn't faced any backlash.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7873 on: April 18, 2022, 09:51:04 PM »
I'm amazed at the fans apathy to Lai, he's ruined this club and hasn't faced any backlash.

Albion fans are generally very passive in my experience.

When a small band started voicing their disapproval of Lai not so far back many other supporters disagreed with it.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7874 on: April 18, 2022, 09:59:32 PM »
His ownership is the source of our demise . Managers and players are the symptom