Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369754 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #7475 on: November 24, 2021, 04:26:47 PM »
If we are bemoaning the loss of Mark Jenkins we have hit bottom

Not sure how you reach that conclusion, he ran a tight ship, but was a highly experienced football administrator.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7476 on: November 24, 2021, 04:31:09 PM »
Not sure how you reach that conclusion, he ran a tight ship, but was a highly experienced football administrator.

Fully agree baggiejohn and wish he was still in post, as he had an understanding, both financially and management wise, of how a football club should be run at our level
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7477 on: November 24, 2021, 04:36:44 PM »
Not exactly a massive fan of Jenkins but knew more about footy than those left behind. Him and Sam done a runner. As others said, they saw the writing on the wall.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7478 on: November 24, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »

I for one would appreciate him casting his independent eye over our books at the moment.......
MAGA!

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7479 on: November 24, 2021, 04:58:22 PM »
If we didn't spend money on a decent striker during the summer, what makes anyone think we will put our hand in our pocket in January? That would make a mockery of not buying anyone 4 months ago. Thats like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. What a **** poor run club we have become. Utter joke!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:19:50 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7480 on: November 24, 2021, 05:25:31 PM »
If we didn't spend money on a decent striker during the summer, what makes anyone think we will put our hand in our pocket in January? That would make a mockery of not buying anyone 4 months ago. Thats like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. What a p8ss poor run club we have become. Utter joke!!

The horse is still in his box - albeit on his knees!!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7481 on: November 24, 2021, 06:45:05 PM »
Not exactly a massive fan of Jenkins but knew more about footy than those left behind. Him and Sam done a runner. As others said, they saw the writing on the wall.
And therein lies a massive part of the problem . Just who is supposedly running the club . This Ken bloke was going to be but we haven’t heard a squeak out of him since the season started , who does that leave with any broad experience of a football club ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7482 on: November 24, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
I wonder how this absentee ownership will resolve itself. Apparently the away fans were singing ‘sack the board’ towards the end of the game last night.

If the poor performances continue up to/beyond Xmas, I can see things turning nasty q quickly. I think most people can see the performances are a symptom of a disunited club behind the scenes, without the appropriate infrastructure to succeed in the modern game.

First time since Ashworth joined that we haven’t had a Director of Football, or similar, in place. It’s almost a given in the modern game that you have a link between the boardroom and the manager. Lai evidently doesn’t know enough about football to know that Ken hanging around the club for 4yrs as a commercial presence doesn’t qualify him to take the lead on football matters/recruitment/squad building. This is massively concerning.

In the unlikely event of us going up this season it will be in spite of the infrastructure rather than because of it. Can see things coming to a head long before the end of the season in the form of vocal dissent against the ownership - especially if results and performances continue. (Not that it’s likely to do anything. Doubt Lai knows when/where/who we are playing).

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7483 on: November 24, 2021, 09:05:19 PM »
And therein lies a massive part of the problem . Just who is supposedly running the club . This Ken bloke was going to be but we haven’t heard a squeak out of him since the season started , who does that leave with any broad experience of a football club ?

I think its anyone who fancies it at the moment. No one with a clue about football is in place currently anyway
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:16:14 PM by gazberg »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7484 on: November 24, 2021, 09:14:56 PM »
I wonder how this absentee ownership will resolve itself. Apparently the away fans were singing ‘sack the board’ towards the end of the game last night.

If the poor performances continue up to/beyond Xmas, I can see things turning nasty q quickly. I think most people can see the performances are a symptom of a disunited club behind the scenes, without the appropriate infrastructure to succeed in the modern game.

First time since Ashworth joined that we haven’t had a Director of Football, or similar, in place. It’s almost a given in the modern game that you have a link between the boardroom and the manager. Lai evidently doesn’t know enough about football to know that Ken hanging around the club for 4yrs as a commercial presence doesn’t qualify him to take the lead on football matters/recruitment/squad building. This is massively concerning.

In the unlikely event of us going up this season it will be in spite of the infrastructure rather than because of it. Can see things coming to a head long before the end of the season in the form of vocal dissent against the ownership - especially if results and performances continue. (Not that it’s likely to do anything. Doubt Lai knows when/where/who we are playing).

I think I'd be a bit careful on this one:

We had a period when Pulis was Head Coach when we didn't have a DoF.

After DA & RH left, RH recommended Terry Burton as our DoF, who in turn brought in Alan Irvine. Both appointments were sanctioned by JP ( who was supposedly protecting his own interests).

Bear in mind JP was being advised by Mark Jenkins & Richard Garlick, both of whom had significant experience in EPL & EFL.

Any senior appointment carries some risk, but if experienced guys can't get it right, then for our board it's pinning the tail on the donkey.

For what it's worth, I believe the flatter structure under Ken is the way to go at the moment, in that way, the CEO has more control.

I believe it's fair to say that VI will be judged on results, & more importantly on trends.
If the current trend continues it's likely his job will be at risk.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7485 on: November 24, 2021, 10:14:27 PM »
He is a "no where man".
Terrible businessman.Clueless and useless.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7486 on: November 25, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »
He is a "no where man".
Terrible businessman.Clueless and useless.

I'd say somebody who made enough out of a landscaping business to enable him to put £30 million into the purchase of a football club is pretty good at business.

Lai is, at the very least, a front man for a consortium who are the major shareholders & have controlling interest of WBAFC. He is not an employee & therefore doesn't have to be visible.

On the other hand, Li Piyue as Chairman, who it's understood is a shareholder in the consortium, & Xu Ke, who is the CEO of WBAFC, should be visible.

As I understand it, there's an Albion Assembly meeting next week, I'd be really surprised if the issue of visibility doesn't come up.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7487 on: November 25, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »
I'd say somebody who made enough out of a landscaping business to enable him to put £30 million into the purchase of a football club is pretty good at business.

Lai is, at the very least, a front man for a consortium who are the major shareholders & have controlling interest of WBAFC. He is not an employee & therefore doesn't have to be visible.

On the other hand, Li Piyue as Chairman, who it's understood is a shareholder in the consortium, & Xu Ke, who is the CEO of WBAFC, should be visible.

As I understand it, there's an Albion Assembly meeting next week, I'd be really surprised if the issue of visibility doesn't come up.

Cannot see that happening John........
MAGA!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7488 on: November 25, 2021, 10:28:19 AM »

We'll see, but in the current climate, visibility has to be addressed.

The Board might not be doing what we want them to do, but they're not stupid, & the Assembly meeting gives them an opportunity to close the distance between them & the fans.

If they chose to miss the opportunity, then I believe we're on a very slippery slope.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7489 on: November 25, 2021, 10:36:22 AM »
If we didn't spend money on a decent striker during the summer, what makes anyone think we will put our hand in our pocket in January? That would make a mockery of not buying anyone 4 months ago. Thats like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. What a **** poor run club we have become. Utter joke!!

Maybe clubs were looking for more money for a player in the final year of their contract than we wanted to pay. By waiting until January they are even nearer the end of their contract. It's the last chance for a selling club to be able to get some money in before the player leaves for free in the Summer.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7490 on: November 25, 2021, 12:11:04 PM »
There is a severe lack of football intelligence at this club and operating with Li Piqyue and a wet behind the ears Ken is not the way to proceed.

This football club lives from day to day - no joined up thinking, no forward planning. It’s pretty much why we live on a list of others cast offs when it comes to recruitment.

We’ve pretty much handed the keys to Ismael to do everything from first team affairs to recruitment.

What’s the plan if we go up? There isn’t one.

What’s the plan if we don’t go up? There isn’t one.

Just continue to live from day to day.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7491 on: November 25, 2021, 12:55:21 PM »
There is a severe lack of football intelligence at this club and operating with Li Piqyue and a wet behind the ears Ken is not the way to proceed.

This football club lives from day to day - no joined up thinking, no forward planning. It’s pretty much why we live on a list of others cast offs when it comes to recruitment.

We’ve pretty much handed the keys to Ismael to do everything from first team affairs to recruitment.

Someone's a bit grumpy today..... ;D

I agree BTW
MAGA!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7492 on: November 25, 2021, 11:24:12 PM »

Woosh!

Best post I’ve read in ages!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7493 on: November 25, 2021, 11:39:59 PM »
Woosh!

Best post I’ve read in ages!

Pleased someone got it😂
MAGA!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7494 on: November 26, 2021, 08:51:00 AM »

That would suggest we have a plan for today, I'm not sure even that's true.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7495 on: November 26, 2021, 09:58:48 AM »

Pleased someone got it😂

Yep, got to admit, I missed it  :D

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7496 on: November 26, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »
Yep, got to admit, I missed it  :D

It's easy to miss an invisibility joke  ;D

For me, Lai is the one that is questionable along with the board. Val has been hung out to dry!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7497 on: November 26, 2021, 11:10:34 PM »
He is probably even now thinking, third place, good chance to make it...

THAT is how much grasp I think he has on the game.

What a ***** businessman he is.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 04:16:50 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

OverLandAndSea

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #7498 on: November 26, 2021, 11:22:38 PM »
I remember Paul Williams. He at leat chipped in and was on £200 a week. M

Hugill is pathetic. Absolutely shameful

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7499 on: November 29, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »
A demonstration against the clubs ownership and board is planned to take place before the Reading game on 11th December at 1:30 PM. The demonstrators will meet at the main gates to the East Stand.

Not sure it will make any difference to the owner and the board, but it allows fans the opportunity to show and voice their discontent with the way the club is being run.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.