Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369766 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #5050 on: January 04, 2018, 01:35:48 AM »
Never properly understood the FFP rules so decided to have a look around and found this,it's a lot to take in but it's quite informative and in places quite a few examples are given rather than facts which is understandable with football club finances not being very transparent,it also shows clubs that have done a few dodgy deals to get round the rules.

www.financialfairplay.co.uk

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5051 on: January 05, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
Top post off Albion79 again
The biggest mistake by Mr Williams was not pushing for a replacement manager before the end of last season when TP had done the job he had been asked to do..
Mr Williams more than anyone should have known what TP brought to a club after a season,  blame him not the board for being short sighted.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5052 on: January 05, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
Its a good post, but in my view the Owner is exempt from criticism, he has done his job in making funds available thus far,
but the operational board is most certainly not.

Extending Pulis contract - Massive Mistake
Giving Pulis sole authority or veto (whichever is true) over signings - Massive Mistake
Sanctioning extended contract for Morrison, - Mistake
Sanctioning 100k plus for a loan player - Mistake (benefit of hindsight admittedly)
Not identifying replacements for Pulis - Mistake
Not having players lined up for Jan 1st - Mistake (other clubs have, why can't we? will not accept FFP as argument, books can be balanced subsequently)

The board have made too many errors and too few marks in the plus column, there SHOULD be consequences !

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5053 on: January 10, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »
     I don't get it JP said he would only sell the club to someone who could take us to the next level.
This fella has put a board in place and is running the club in the exact same model as JP but a lot worse  in my opinion.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5054 on: January 10, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »
Peace is 100% to blame for our current plight. He cared not a jot for what the supporters wanted and knew pulis would keep us up guaranteeing maximum profit on his minimal outlay and walking away with an extremely healthy profit while selling the premiership cash cow to lai and his investors that we will settle for no ambition and they can cream the profits.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5055 on: January 10, 2018, 10:44:45 PM »
Peace is 100% to blame for our current plight. He cared not a jot for what the supporters wanted and knew pulis would keep us up guaranteeing maximum profit on his minimal outlay and walking away with an extremely healthy profit while selling the premiership cash cow to lai and his investors that we will settle for no ambition and they can cream the profits.
totally agree mate bloke was out for himself couldnt give a monkies about our club.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5056 on: January 11, 2018, 09:02:40 AM »
Doom and gloom and rightly so, cough up or ship out Lai. take you scarves with you. its pathetic we havent signed anyone yet before our biggest game of the season so far HRK hat trick saturday folks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:06:44 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5057 on: January 11, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
Doom and gloom and rightly so, cough up or ship out Lai. take you scarves with you. its pathetic we havent signed anyone yet before our biggest game of the season so far HRK hat trick saturday folks

You on the wind up again.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5058 on: January 11, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »
if he scores a hatrick on saturday ill have HRK tattoed on my ass....it aint happening blokes a donkey

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5059 on: January 11, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
Lai is a 'Steady Eddie' kind of investor vs a boom or bust Fosun/ Randy Lerner kind of investor as far as I can see. It seems like Wolves will hit the boom time certainly in the short term so good luck to them. They have a clear strategy based on direct links with the football and business World which is supplying the money. The biggest question for them is if they cannot sustain success and grow their turnover, they could be left with big debts and the kind of hangover which has affected Villa.  Meanwhile, Albion seem to pragmatically plod along in much the same way as we did before Lai which is not necessarily a bad thing in the long term as far as I can see (look back 15 years to now), however in the short term , we're likely to have the same results - a few yoyo years followed by relative success but never really setting the football World alight.

I'd love a few fun years of excitement but that won't happen I'm afraid.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5060 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »
Its a good post, but in my view the Owner is exempt from criticism, he has done his job in making funds available thus far,
but the operational board is most certainly not.

Extending Pulis contract - Massive Mistake
Giving Pulis sole authority or veto (whichever is true) over signings - Massive Mistake
Sanctioning extended contract for Morrison, - Mistake
Sanctioning 100k plus for a loan player - Mistake (benefit of hindsight admittedly)
Not identifying replacements for Pulis - Mistake
Not having players lined up for Jan 1st - Mistake (other clubs have, why can't we? will not accept FFP as argument, books can be balanced subsequently)

The board have made too many errors and too few marks in the plus column, there SHOULD be consequences !
Agree with that list and would like to add
Appointing Alan Pardew (masssive mistake)

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5061 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
Hey timdon,how do you work out that appointing Pardew is a massive mistake?
He's only just started his tenure.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5062 on: January 11, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
Agree with that list and would like to add
Appointing Alan Pardew (masssive mistake)
[/b]

I can't agree with that. He has inherited a sub standard team and has not had chance to add anyone to it. He has recalled the loanees as he is not happy with what he is seeing on the pitch. We are now playing further up the pitch and actually getting into the opposition box. He has clearly identified that we cannot finish, so I expect to see some changes/improvements this month. To say his appointment was a massive mistake is a bit premature.
MAGA!

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5063 on: January 11, 2018, 05:14:25 PM »
Hey timdon,how do you work out that appointing Pardew is a massive mistake?
He's only just started his tenure.
Only my opinion. Just don't rate him as a manager, think it was a lazy and unambitious appointment. Time will tell I suppose

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5064 on: January 11, 2018, 05:29:38 PM »
[/b]

I can't agree with that. He has inherited a sub standard team and has not had chance to add anyone to it. He has recalled the loanees as he is not happy with what he is seeing on the pitch. We are now playing further up the pitch and actually getting into the opposition box. He has clearly identified that we cannot finish, so I expect to see some changes/improvements this month. To say his appointment was a massive mistake is a bit premature.
I don't agree that he inherited a sub standard team. There is a lot of talent in this squad. Pretty much the same squad, with some good quality additions, as finished 10th last season, and should have finished 8th if they hadn't taken their foot of the gas for the last half dozen games. What he inherited was a team lacking in confidence and possibly motivation.. A good coach would have improved us in both of these areas but he hasn't done this yet and he has had a good few matches to do so. Hodgson, Allardyce and even Moyes have managed improved results quite soon after they arrived, without adding anyone to their squad, and this is what a good coach and/or a good motivator will be able to do. Pardew hasn't yet shown me  that he is either of these.
Like others, I'm not sure how much Lai had to do with the appointment but he must himself be wondering if it was a good one

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #5065 on: January 11, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
Difficult to agree if it was a mistake or not. We don't actually know what other applicants (if any) there were or if any pre planning had gone into getting a suitable replacement. It certainly doesn't look like much planning had been done and it is easy to say that AP is not a suitable replacement now although there were quite a lot of us who showed some caution about his appointment.
He hasn't been the success we wanted and if that carries on we will be in real trouble.
The squad isn't that bad although it is not well balanced and we are certainly lacking in some areas. AP seemed to make the right noises about this which appeared to give us some hope. But... we are now a third of the way into this window and there has been no action.
 I wonder why.
 Are there no funds? Surely he would have sorted that out prior to taking the job.
Do people not want to sign for us? That would not be a surprise.
Have we been linked to anyone? A bit of paper talk but that's about it.
Do we have to wait for Evans to go? Well lets get it done, but perhaps no-one actually wants him.

I'm posing these questions as an owner should. He would know about funds but ought to be questioning about other reasons for our demise.
It seems the only people who care are us but I feel that is also dwindling.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5066 on: January 11, 2018, 10:16:32 PM »
This thread is painful..
Whilst I understand football is a sport fused with passion and emotion , some of the comments????
This owner has invested more money in West Brom than everybody registered on this forum put together, I'm not saying it makes every decion he makes right, but who are any of us to "tell him" what to do with his money .?

I would very much like some new players, some injection of impetus....but too suggest he needs to "put up or shut up" is truly ridiculous , half of the people at any clubs probably don't fully understand FFP...so I don't expect everybody on here too.
But it's there, it's real and it has an effect on what we can/can't do

Finally , the comments about only coming for the big games, is that not his choice ?, we are one cog in his business machine, why would he feel the need to go to every match?....he is not a fan.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #5067 on: January 11, 2018, 11:24:55 PM »
This thread is painful..
Whilst I understand football is a sport fused with passion and emotion , some of the comments????
This owner has invested more money in West Brom than everybody registered on this forum put together, I'm not saying it makes every decion he makes right, but who are any of us to "tell him" what to do with his money .?

I would very much like some new players, some injection of impetus....but too suggest he needs to "put up or shut up" is truly ridiculous , half of the people at any clubs probably don't fully understand FFP...so I don't expect everybody on here too.
But it's there, it's real and it has an effect on what we can/can't do

Finally , the comments about only coming for the big games, is that not his choice ?, we are one cog in his business machine, why would he feel the need to go to every match?....he is not a fan.

Bravo, best post on the thread. Id rather we were self-financing aswell if I'm honest, with what happened with blackpool asset stripping will be incredibly hard if not impossible by owners and id rather not have to worry what if the owners pulled the plug and what would become of our club? ala villa, bolton, pompey to name a few.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:27:48 PM by WoysWunderful »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5068 on: January 12, 2018, 09:02:57 AM »
Definitely don't think we can lay the blame at his door, the only mistake he's made is to put all his faith in a group of people, who have made some appalling decisions.
If you look at it from his point of view, he's bought the club for £185m or whatever it was, we've continually broken transfer records and wage ceilings, yet we are more of a lame duck than we were before he came.
If, by some miracle, we stay up this season, or even more so if we don't, he needs to clear out the likes of Williams and Hammond etc. and rebuild from the top.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5069 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
Definitely don't think we can lay the blame at his door, the only mistake he's made is to put all his faith in a group of people, who have made some appalling decisions.
If you look at it from his point of view, he's bought the club for £185m or whatever it was, we've continually broken transfer records and wage ceilings, yet we are more of a lame duck than we were before he came.
If, by some miracle, we stay up this season, or even more so if we don't, he needs to clear out the likes of Williams and Hammond etc. and rebuild from the top.

All well & good in theory, but Williams was recommended by JP because, allegedly, GL didn't know the market.
What's changed now, to suggest that GL has a better knowledge on who to replace Wiliams with?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:31:36 AM by baggiejohn »
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5070 on: January 20, 2018, 02:15:54 PM »
The money spent on that Chinese kid was apparently from a separate budget, whatever budget it was it has a direct impact on the club financially and will be in our accounts meaning our transfer budget is impacted. As if it was from the owners pocket then that would go against FFP as owners are not allowed to put their own money in nowadays.

This man has no ambition, find a way, do things differently and buy us a top forward.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5071 on: January 20, 2018, 02:35:10 PM »
The money spent on that Chinese kid was apparently from a separate budget, whatever budget it was it has a direct impact on the club financially and will be in our accounts meaning our transfer budget is impacted. As if it was from the owners pocket then that would go against FFP as owners are not allowed to put their own money in nowadays.

This man has no ambition, find a way, do things differently and buy us a top forward.

It wont be in our accounts as it had nothing to do with the club from what I recall, it was money spent outside of the club finances
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5072 on: January 20, 2018, 06:30:43 PM »
It wont be in our accounts as it had nothing to do with the club from what I recall, it was money spent outside of the club finances

If that was the case why wouldn't clubs around the world sign players via this method to get around FFP?

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5073 on: January 20, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
If that was the case why wouldn't clubs around the world sign players via this method to get around FFP?

He isnt being paid by us from what I can recall, his transfer fee is spread over the length of his contract (3 years) so has a very small impact with regards FFP and it was a commercial investment from what I can tell

I could be very wrong but until the accounts come out I cannot tell to be honest
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5074 on: January 21, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »
Maybe they do.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.