Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369946 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #4950 on: September 15, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
Apparently rejected an offer for us from a us buyer. That's massive news, for it to even get to that stage makes me think he may sell! :o
according to bloomberg, the approach was to another member of the investment group Yunyi Goukai (which Lai leads) and when he found out rejected the approach out of hand.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4951 on: September 15, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
Link to the sale story

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-owners-reject-13626833

Not sure what to make of it without knowing the identity of the interested party. It might just be an opportunistic bid looking to exploit the possible need of the Chinese to sell given the change in view from the Chinese authorities. I would also guess that there are a number of potential investors sniffing around Premier League clubs looking for a a quick upturn in asset values ahead of the next round of media rights deal .

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/aug/11/premier-league-broadcast-battle-hots-up-as-sky-face-doling-out-extra-600m

It should be noted the article is just talking about the UK & Ireland deal before the overseas deals are factored in which will be another sizable hike in the League's revenue. The river of money flowing through the game is growing wider and deeper. Even last year's bonkers valuation at which you wouldn't have thought Lai could sell up at a profit might soon be seen as a bargain.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:04:44 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4952 on: September 15, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
Link to the sale story

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-bromwich-albion-owners-reject-13626833

Not sure what to make of it without knowing the identity of the interested party. It might just be an opportunistic bid looking to exploit the possible need of the Chinese to sell given the change in view from the Chinese authorities. I would also guess that there are a number of potential investors sniffing around Premier League clubs looking for a a quick upturn in asset values ahead of the next round of media rights deal which must be due to be announced sometime in the next 12 months.
I imagine that the devaluation of the pound would have made the club more attractive too
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4953 on: September 16, 2017, 01:45:04 AM »
Going by media negotiations started in the summer but stalled, looks like Chinese want out and value club at over £260 million

orville

• Junior Baggie

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4955 on: September 16, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
Going by media negotiations started in the summer but stalled, looks like Chinese want out and value club at over £260 million

Not sure where you got that from. The number isn't completely outrageous given that the reported numbers (which haven't been confirmed) from last years purchase valued the club at £200m and provided we stay in the Premier League the clubs' revenue will be going up by about 20% the season after next.

In general I wouldn't be happy with another change of ownership for the simple reason the more frequently you spin the ownership roulette wheel the more chance we get a bad one. 

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4956 on: September 16, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »
If we entered discussions about a sale then i would assume Lai wants out, but for the right price.
Something not right behind the scenes, and probably all to do with the Chinese governments stance on spending on over seas clubs.
I would be dubious about the Yanks, they haven't a good track record of club ownership, and their knowledge of football is almost as bad as your average Wolves fan.
Lets sign a couple more Egyptians and see if we can kindle a bit of interest from the middle east. :)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4957 on: September 16, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »
Not sure where you got that from. The number isn't completely outrageous given that the reported numbers (which haven't been confirmed) from last years purchase valued the club at £200m and provided we stay in the Premier League the clubs' revenue will be going up by about 20% the season after next.

In general I wouldn't be happy with another change of ownership for the simple reason the more frequently you spin the ownership roulette wheel the more chance we get a bad one.
a number of media outlets quoted valuation the Chinese owners have, also state government  of China want to rein in monies leaving country for entertainment investment. Club could still be run for the foreseeable future by Lai but with no external investment.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4958 on: September 16, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
a number of media outlets quoted valuation the Chinese owners have, also state government  of China want to rein in monies leaving country for entertainment investment. Club could still be run for the foreseeable future by Lai but with no external investment.

In that case i couldn't see how Peace has, " moved us on. "  He took ages with his due diligence, it was probably all about getting the top dollar.
We haven't got a rich investor, in fact we haven't got an investor at all.

blue

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #4959 on: September 16, 2017, 01:17:27 PM »
We are we are now without external investment plus ffp limits us to what we spend more than what we generate ourselves.
Mr lai is trying to generate more money by thinking outside the box with ECO towns and buying Chinese's players that could be sold at big profit.
If he has turned down 260 million buyout that means we are still a very good investment for a wealthy consortium.
Mr Lai doing a great job as majority shareholder in my opinion for little old Albion.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4960 on: September 16, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »
I don't see how he is doing a great job, he bought a club and got the fans  a few beers and scarves, but we only spent what we generated.
Like Jeremy he will sit back and watch the club make him money, and when the time is right he will sell us for a profit without having spent any of his own money. Deja Vu.
What we are worth is down to how successful we are. If we have a good season he will sit and watch his stock grow, if we have a bad one he will probably sound out buyers.
A win win situation for him.
Unfortunately for us we are no better off than when we had the last incubent.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4961 on: September 17, 2017, 08:04:18 AM »
I don't see how he is doing a great job, he bought a club and got the fans  a few beers and scarves, but we only spent what we generated.
Like Jeremy he will sit back and watch the club make him money, and when the time is right he will sell us for a profit without having spent any of his own money. Deja Vu.
What we are worth is down to how successful we are. If we have a good season he will sit and watch his stock grow, if we have a bad one he will probably sound out buyers.
A win win situation for him.
Unfortunately for us we are no better off than when we had the last incubent.

I will have to wait to confirm this but there are few if any owners are actively putting money into Premier League clubs, even the latest round of transfer madness was probably self financed. I don't understand why fans persist in the view that owners should throw vast amounts of their own money at clubs particularly to subsidise player recruitment which is the only thing that most are remotely interested in.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4962 on: September 17, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
Don't get me wrong, i don't believe throwing money, particulary someone elses money, is always the answer, it can lead to debt that is called on sooner or later.
My point is, that Peace said he couldn't push us on to the next level without investment. So he sought out  buyer.
We waited a year while he found one, and even then he took so long with his due diligence that we missed the transfer window.
Now we find our new owner can't invest, though probably through no fault of his own, and so we are back to square one, a premier league club lacking investment.
Mr Lai say's he doesn't want to sell but stay and develop us. But how is he going to do that if his government won't allow the movement of money overseas?
I think we have all been duped, it was never about developing football clubs over here, but developing the game over there, at our expense.
It's a bit of a coincidence that the Chinese government decided to put the blocks on once a number of English clubs had been bought.
We are told that no money can come out from China, but does that work both ways, and are we merely the cow thats being milked by the Chinese?

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4963 on: September 17, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »

Yeah. If only we could have got somebody like the Venky clan, to take us to the next level...

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4964 on: September 17, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »
Don't get me wrong, i don't believe throwing money, particulary someone elses money, is always the answer, it can lead to debt that is called on sooner or later.
My point is, that Peace said he couldn't push us on to the next level without investment. So he sought out  buyer.
We waited a year while he found one, and even then he took so long with his due diligence that we missed the transfer window.
Now we find our new owner can't invest, though probably through no fault of his own, and so we are back to square one, a premier league club lacking investment.
Mr Lai say's he doesn't want to sell but stay and develop us. But how is he going to do that if his government won't allow the movement of money overseas?
I think we have all been duped, it was never about developing football clubs over here, but developing the game over there, at our expense.
It's a bit of a coincidence that the Chinese government decided to put the blocks on once a number of English clubs had been bought.
We are told that no money can come out from China, but does that work both ways, and are we merely the cow thats being milked by the Chinese?
you're talking about a government that banned Winnie the Pooh because people compared him to the President... who knows why they do what they do.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4965 on: September 17, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
Really
Well I think you should just buy the club then, although if you won the lottery you would probably moan about the winnings being in cheque form and ask for your £2 back.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4966 on: September 18, 2017, 06:22:28 AM »
I'm not a billionaire, but if i were and i paid £180m for something, then i would certainly want to invest in it....unless there was another reason for buying it.
I wish i had the ability to see good in all people like some of you.
At the moment we are a rudderless ship with an absent owner, a demoralised crew and a blinkered captain running it.

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4967 on: September 18, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
I'm not a billionaire, but if i were and i paid £180m for something, then i would certainly want to invest in it....unless there was another reason for buying it.
I wish i had the ability to see good in all people like some of you.
At the moment we are a rudderless ship with an absent owner, a demoralised crew and a blinkered captain running it.
Yet again the negativity found on this board astounds me.
Rudderless ship?..... Is this a sensible comment given the relative success of the last transfer window, the positive, planned deployment of our loanees, the ongoing development of the academy and the stability the club compared to many others?
Absent owner? ....I don't know how you define 'absent', but ten EPL teams meet mine, and not all have been detrimental to the clubs' development. Would you rather have the close attention of an Ashley or the Dildo Twins?
Demoralised?..... Any chance of evidence to support the use of such a contentious statement?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4968 on: November 08, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »
Reports suggest that Mr Lai is coming over for the Chelsea game. I would imagine that this visit was always going to happen and hasn't been specially arranged to run the rule over Pulis. Mr Lai only seems to appear when we play one of the biggest clubs, which I find a bit naff to be honest, not least because he'll never get a true perspective on our performances that way. All he'll see is a plucky underdog display against opposition that have been built up pre-match to try to make everyone think it's an honour just to be on the same pitch as these teams. Mr Lai is perpetuatiing that by only attending those games.

What he ought to do is take in a few away games, like Brighton and Huddersfield, as he might then get a better idea of what the fuss over Pulis is all about then. Just turning up for the games against big clubs will give him a false impression. We can but hope that he's being well advised on the bigger picture regarding our performances and tactics.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4969 on: November 09, 2017, 12:31:02 AM »
Yet again the negativity found on this board astounds me.
Rudderless ship?..... Is this a sensible comment given the relative success of the last transfer window, the positive, planned deployment of our loanees, the ongoing development of the academy and the stability the club compared to many others?[/b]
Absent owner? ....I don't know how you define 'absent', but ten EPL teams meet mine, and not all have been detrimental to the clubs' development. Would you rather have the close attention of an Ashley or the Dildo Twins?
Demoralised?..... Any chance of evidence to support the use of such a contentious statement?

How does this sound six weeks on?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4970 on: November 09, 2017, 06:29:05 AM »
If people stay away he will want to know why the stadium isn't full for such a big game.
If your local restaurant sells rubbish food, you don't keep eating there and then complain about the food.
You guys are good at organising, things as you proved with the Tesco bags, even if it's staying outside the ground and then entering after 10 mins.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4971 on: November 09, 2017, 06:35:12 AM »
If people stay away he will want to know why the stadium isn't full for such a big game.
If your local restaurant sells rubbish food, you don't keep eating there and then complain about the food.
You guys are good at organising, things as you proved with the Tesco bags, even if it's staying outside the ground and then entering after 10 mins.

The difference between our football club and a restaurant is that if the restaurant looses its customers then it closes. If a football club looses patrons nothing happens because the Premier League is awash with money so the clubs couldn't give a toss about the fans.
Please don't organise the 'entering of the ground 10 minutes after kick off fiasco' that's so Villaesque and besides loads of late arrivals will only spoil what little enjoyment the rest of the fans have if they're up and down in their seats to let the late arrivals get to their seat.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4972 on: November 09, 2017, 06:08:20 PM »
If you really want to get something over then sacrifices have to be made.
The people of this country can talk a good fight but thats about it.
Who's enjoyment are they going to spoil though, the Chelsea fans.
 Isn't the anti Pulis thing about enjoyment, or lack of it.

If no one wants to put themselves out stop bitching and keep going and moaning.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4973 on: November 09, 2017, 07:20:59 PM »
I as much as anyone wants shot of Pulis. That said I still instinctively want to get behind the team and I simply can't bring myself to want to us to do badly. I won't get behind any half arsed protests the likes of which I have mocked at the Seal Sanctuary.

If we are take a beating on Saturday I am sure that the fans will let their displeasure be known it will be spontaneous and heartfelt. 

wimbledon baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4974 on: November 09, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »
I as much as anyone wants shot of Pulis. That said I still instinctively want to get behind the team and I simply can't bring myself to want to us to do badly. I won't get behind any half arsed protests the likes of which I have mocked at the Seal Sanctuary.

If we are take a beating on Saturday I am sure that the fans will let their displeasure be known it will be spontaneous and heartfelt.

But you can do both. You can arrive early/stay behind and protest all things TP but cheer the lads on during the game. If you are the singing type you can be singing Pulis Out! and immediately be singing 'We love you Albion...we do' and the Lords my Shepherd.

I went to Lisbon recently for a w/e and we got tickets for Sporting Lisbon v Porto. The match was a rubbish 0-0 but WHAT an atmosphere!! It was bonkers. Really intense passion all round the ground. Super friendly fans but it made me realise what we were missing. Left the ground a bit sad if I'm honest.