Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2369815 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #2725 on: July 22, 2016, 08:34:52 AM »
I don't want to be a kill joy but:

The Chinese Government have stated in the last 6 months that they want to see China become a global football power on the world stage. This plays into their "soft power" narrative of trying to gain influence through cultural and other means.

This has led to a number of Chinese based billionaires, all of whom could easily wake up one day to find their assets have been confiscated by the state, to "head the call" and start buying up football clubs, be that Chinese Superleague clubs like Shanghai Shenhua, or English clubs like Athletico Madrid, Aston Villa and Wolves.The cynic in me (and many business commentators) says that they are simply trying to keep on the good side of Xi Jinping. The other factor is of course gaining assets outside of China that cannot be confiscated so easily, which includes football clubs (which in their mind, always seem to be unaffected by economic trends like recessions).

The likes of Tony Xia and the Fosun group may well not put any of their own money into the clubs, and could simply run the clubs as any other owners do (Look at QPR nowadays with one of the richest men in the world having a shareholding).

For this reason, I don't think we should expect untold riches if the Wanda group do eventually buy the Albion. The fact they failed to convince Peace last year that they had the money to buy the club does give me cause to be realistic.

The big positive however is that the Wanda group, if they do take over, have a history with Athletico Madrid which will hopefully give them a good grounding in how to run a successful football club.

I think you make some really valid points there.
Listening to the podcast put on here last night, the recurring theme seems to be one of Chinese Investors buying failing UK football clubs, & adding value until they are showing a profit. I really can't see where WBA fits into this profile, could you help me to understand why a Chinese investor would buy WBA?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2726 on: July 22, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
I think you make some really valid points there.
Listening to the podcast put on here last night, the recurring theme seems to be one of Chinese Investors buying failing UK football clubs, & adding value until they are showing a profit. I really can't see where WBA fits into this profile, could you help me to understand why a Chinese investor would buy WBA?
maybe a Chinese investor is looking to make bigger profits than wba currently achieve, its possible by finishing a lot higher up the league and getting a European spot.it would take investment but its doable. and who knows how much the next tv rights deal will be worth.as a football club we haven't hit our ceiling by a long way and who knows where new investment might take us.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:51:05 AM by caravanc58 »

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2727 on: July 22, 2016, 10:41:25 AM »
I don't want to be a kill joy but:

The Chinese Government have stated in the last 6 months that they want to see China become a global football power on the world stage. This plays into their "soft power" narrative of trying to gain influence through cultural and other means.

This has led to a number of Chinese based billionaires, all of whom could easily wake up one day to find their assets have been confiscated by the state, to "head the call" and start buying up football clubs, be that Chinese Superleague clubs like Shanghai Shenhua, or English clubs like Athletico Madrid, Aston Villa and Wolves.The cynic in me (and many business commentators) says that they are simply trying to keep on the good side of Xi Jinping. The other factor is of course gaining assets outside of China that cannot be confiscated so easily, which includes football clubs (which in their mind, always seem to be unaffected by economic trends like recessions).

The likes of Tony Xia and the Fosun group may well not put any of their own money into the clubs, and could simply run the clubs as any other owners do (Look at QPR nowadays with one of the richest men in the world having a shareholding).

For this reason, I don't think we should expect untold riches if the Wanda group do eventually buy the Albion. The fact they failed to convince Peace last year that they had the money to buy the club does give me cause to be realistic.

The big positive however is that the Wanda group, if they do take over, have a history with Athletico Madrid which will hopefully give them a good grounding in how to run a successful football club.

Great post, regardless of who buys us and when,
1) WBA is a business so has to stand on its own meaning sensible growth = no Man City style revolution
2)  they're unlikely to be Albion fans so things can change = Randy Lerner massive investment then pulled out/ changed strategy.

Whoever leads the club post a takeover  will be key

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #2728 on: July 22, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »
Taken from the Wanda Group Twitter...

"@DalianWanda: @KyleJonesKJ Wanda is always on the hunt for more sports and entertainment deals. We'll let you know if we decide to take on West Brom."
Smethwick..

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2729 on: July 22, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »

"@DalianWanda: @KyleJonesKJ Wanda is always on the hunt for more sports and entertainment deals. We'll let you know if we decide to take on West Brom."
It was in response to someone begging them to buy Albion. Not a denial of interest but then that wasn't a question they were asked.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2730 on: July 22, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »
That seems to be as close to an admittance that they aren't talking to us as you can get!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2731 on: July 22, 2016, 12:22:15 PM »
That seems to be as close to an admittance that they aren't talking to us as you can get!

My thoughts entirely Mark.

What is embarrassing is the number of Albion fans on twitter 'begging' them to buy the club!
MAGA!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2732 on: July 22, 2016, 12:32:48 PM »
The takeover is 99.9 percent done unless the Wanda group are somehow attached to the party which the deal is close with them they are to late the deal is all but done.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2733 on: July 22, 2016, 12:37:06 PM »
The takeover is 99.9 percent done unless the Wanda group are somehow attached to the party which the deal is close with them they are to late the deal is all but done.

Thats going to get tongues wagging!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2734 on: July 22, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »

Thanks 38 - are you saying the deal is done and if Wanda are interested they are too late?
MAGA!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2735 on: July 22, 2016, 12:39:55 PM »
Thanks 38 - are you saying the deal is done and if Wanda are interested they are too late?

Yes it's extremely close I've been informed

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2736 on: July 22, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
Hey 38, can you say if it's a consortium,individual and their nationality yet?

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2737 on: July 22, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »
Hey 38, can you say if it's a consortium,individual and their nationality yet?

No idea I'd expect a announcement early August

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2738 on: July 22, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »
Despite all this the Bham Mail are running a story that the Wanda group "have not ruled out a takeover". Christ. Talk about twisting words.

If they'd said "we cannot comment on our business strategy" or something of that ilk then I'd be more interested but as it is we're in the same position as before.

He/him

AlterAlbion91

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2739 on: July 22, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »
Baggie38-Any idea whether the potential buyer is Jack Ma?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2740 on: July 22, 2016, 12:55:04 PM »

I work for a company that has a major global parent company with worldwide operations. I can't imagine Dave downstairs who handles our social media account would have know anything about any major transactions.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2741 on: July 22, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
As if the Birmingham Mail is running a story about a Twitter reply. Lost all semblance of credibility as a news source for me. Absolutely dreadful.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2742 on: July 22, 2016, 01:57:18 PM »

My thoughts entirely Mark.

What is embarrassing is the number of Albion fans on twitter 'begging' them to buy the club!
Twitter has always had that though, fans who are overly-excited and hero worship the players as if they are Gods.
It's part of the reason why footballers have such big egos, as they're constantly told how fantastic they are on twitter.

As the tweet alluded to anyway, it won't be Wanda.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2743 on: July 22, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »
So it's not a fishy called wanda then
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2744 on: July 22, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
No idea I'd expect a announcement early August

Hi baggie38,

Any hunch on the reason for the suggested early August announcement if the deal is so close now?

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2745 on: July 22, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »

Two reasons why I think it won't be Wanda , they are on the the hunt for sports and entertainment deals.

Can't see that with TP in charge.

macc_baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2746 on: July 22, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Probably utterly unrelated but Adam Hurrey (does bits for ESPN and the Telegraph) retweeted a video he'd previously put up of our 78 visit to China.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2747 on: July 22, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »
Strangely the original article in the Mirror said we were being taken over by Wanda and Robin Li was NOT buying wolves.
The second story was correct, i hope the first is too....i think.

lonions

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2748 on: July 22, 2016, 07:38:56 PM »
If that is indeed Wanda groups official Twitter account. I would say there pretty close to a sale. Also they've apparently been exclusive talks with someone for a couple of weeks. I didn't know that but apparently true.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2749 on: July 22, 2016, 07:46:22 PM »
I think everybody is taking the twitter thing far too seriously. I used to work in marketing and it's highly likely that the Wanda group outsource that kind of work or have a department for it and it's like somebody else said - highly unlikely that they'd let the social media people know about big business deals being negotiated.