Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 772295 times)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
when is this press conference supposed to happen?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »
What gets me is - are we really having a press conference to unveil 2 freebie chamionship players who signed a month ago??? - OK if we were Hereford United but.........

Pretty sure we (and any other club) have press conferences for any first team signings that would be made.

15.SUPERJOE

« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2011, 01:57:57 PM »
If this tranfer fee goes through (which I think is highly unlikely) I can see it being a year long loan tied in to a permanent deal at the end, like we do when we get rid of players. Probably with a clause in it on our side that if he get's injured we don't have to sign him after a year. With the fee being undisclosed as per usual. Maybe like people have suggested with a player or two going the opposite way.

It is looking likelier..

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »
What gets me is - are we really having a press conference to unveil 2 freebie chamionship players who signed a month ago??? - OK if we were Hereford United but.........
It's also the official launch of the Bodog sponsorship deal which I think is the main purpose of it.

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »
It is looking likelier..

According to whom?
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
I cant see him coming to us anyway, one i dont think we would pay the fee Blues want for him and 2, he earns big wages.

I am still convinced we will Sign Rob Green.

I wouldn't rule it out.

Fee? Its been said that we are willing to spend decently on the GK place and are serious about getting a decent one in. Not to mention the closer August 31st gets the lower the fee Birmingham will demand ( I hope it doesn't get that far however ).

Wages? Not sure, considering we tried to get Shay Given I cant see wages will be much of an issue, he would be on a lot more than Foster, and if he was actually considered then I am pretty sure we would be able to afford Foster.

Foster also wants to stay in the Midlands, with Villa reportedly close to Given then wouldn't we be an ideal solution for him? Not to mention according to Dean Kiely they are "good friends".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:09:13 PM by addy »

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »
Hope there is some truth in the Foster rumour, not just for us supporters but as a sign of the clubs ambition which would send the right signals to PO and Mulumbo

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2011, 02:27:16 PM »
Hope there is some truth in the Foster rumour, not just for us supporters but as a sign of the clubs ambition which would send the right signals to PO and Mulumbo

Will also send the right signals to Mulumbu :)

BaggieBoiJono

« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2011, 02:46:35 PM »
This is the kind of " moving forward " signing we need to be making. I just really believe there is another premier league club which will want him, and in that case we have no chance.

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2011, 02:53:46 PM »
This is the kind of " moving forward " signing we need to be making. I just really believe there is another premier league club which will want him, and in that case we have no chance.

Foster would prefer to stay in the West Midlands where he is settled. I'm not saying he wouldn't commute to another club, but our location does make us a more attractive proposition than you'd think.

Then there's the small hurdle of agreeing a transfer fee and wages!!  :-X
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
I would go up to £8 million on this one. It's something we can afford, he's clearly class and will keep us points. Generally, keepers aren't recognised as much as they should in keeping points. Imagine if Carson wasn't dodgy. Last season we'd have at least 5+ more points than we did. Well, that's pretty much what Foster would offer.

The thing is, we've recently received a lot of fee's which otherwise were tied up before hand - so we will have extra cash to spend. Here's why:
- Moore/Beattie. Both will have 'promotion/appearance' fees. How much? I don't know exactly, but I assume it's over £100k
- Valero cash. We have officially been paid, for a fee of about £5 million I believe.
- Carson cash. Paid in about the same time as Valero, another £1.5 million.
- 11th position. Tchoyi's hat-trick made us an unseen £3 million or so, in the last minute (extra PL prize money) This could be spend.

This means, in recent times we've had just short of £10 million enter the clubs. If we can spend £8 on Foster (or hopefully a bit less), the remaining £5 on a striker and a few free's, we should be good :) I hope he joins! 

Umpshire Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »
was set to be unveiled today according to this site http://www.football.co.uk/west_bromwich_albion/albion_set_to_unveil_foster_and_gera_rss1712437.shtml

make of it what you will  :-\

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2011, 10:17:02 PM »
I would go up to £8 million on this one. It's something we can afford, he's clearly class and will keep us points. Generally, keepers aren't recognised as much as they should in keeping points. Imagine if Carson wasn't dodgy. Last season we'd have at least 5+ more points than we did. Well, that's pretty much what Foster would offer.

The thing is, we've recently received a lot of fee's which otherwise were tied up before hand - so we will have extra cash to spend. Here's why:
- Moore/Beattie. Both will have 'promotion/appearance' fees. How much? I don't know exactly, but I assume it's over £100k
- Valero cash. We have officially been paid, for a fee of about £5 million I believe.
- 11th position. Tchoyi's hat-trick made us an unseen £3 million or so, in the last minute (extra PL prize money) This could be spend.

This means, in recent times we've had just short of £10 million enter the clubs. If we can spend £8 on Foster (or hopefully a bit less), the remaining £5 on a striker and a few free's, we should be good :) I hope he joins!

I agree with your logic on being willing to spend a bit more on a GK. I'm not sure about 8Mil (as you said, if it did happen, hopefully we could knock the transfer fee down a bit). It is an important position and can be the difference between winning and losing games (eventually staying up or going down). I'd be happy for us to shell out a fair bit of money for Foster (plus he's English which is always good value when they're at your club). I like Foster and would be delighted if we signed him.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
was set to be unveiled today according to this site http://www.football.co.uk/west_bromwich_albion/albion_set_to_unveil_foster_and_gera_rss1712437.shtml

make of it what you will  :-\

It was on WBA mad mate, they jumped to conclusions when CL went on twitter this morning to say he was going to the press conference for our two new signings with him meaning McAuley and Jones. Just a massive assumption that they printed and in all honesty they should be ashamed of posting it online.

Umpshire Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #214 on: July 08, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »
It was on WBA mad mate, they jumped to conclusions when CL went on twitter this morning to say he was going to the press conference for our two new signings with him meaning McAuley and Jones. Just a massive assumption that they printed and in all honesty they should be ashamed of posting it online.

awwww got me going that one lol thanks for putting me straight  :D

bubz

« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
No way this will happen.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »
Blues were willing to let Craig Gardner join Sunderland for £5m to get his £25k-a-week wages off their bill. Their situation will have eased somewhat after that sale and the other players they have let go but with Foster said to be on £30k-a-week we may be able to convince them to sell for around what they paid for him the £6m mark to cut the shortfall somewhat after relegation.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »
Forgetting any rumours or whatever, if we paid £5-6 mil for Foster on a 4 year contract and it was within our budget, i'd be pleased. He's a very good goalkeeper at the moment and should only get better. Could be a very important signing if we pulled it off. Once again, got a feeling it won't happen though.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »
No way this will happen.

Well you best get in touch with Ashworth and Hodgson then to let them know, no point in wasting any more of our time.

I don't see why we can't push the boat out for the right player in the right position after adding a couple of free transfers and with the manager saying he only wants two or three more players to add to the squad Foster certainly fits that description.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »

Now you´re thinking like JP.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »
It is an important position and can be the difference between winning and losing games (eventually staying up or going down). I'd be happy for us to shell out a fair bit of money for Foster (plus he's English which is always good value when they're at your club).

Why do clubs spend so little on goalkeepers then? The fifth most expensive goalkeeping transfer in the world is only £7.8 million.

Three of the bottom five teams last season also had good goalkeepers yet struggled. I think in this country we overrate the impact of goalkeepers, yes they are the difference between the ball going into the back or not but ultimately unless they are really bad you can get away with having an average keeper,  in the same way teams can 'carry' players in other positions.

bubz

« Reply #221 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:12 PM »
I just can't see him going for less than £8m. I don't think we will pay that for a keeper.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »
I honestly think we could knock them down to the £6m they paid if they want his wages off their bill.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »
Is Foster that good? I genuinly haven't seen enough of him all I've seen is what I've seen of him on tv and against us have had lots of good things about him though and if Roy thinks he's the one then that's good enough for me

duncan

« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2011, 08:39:10 AM »
At £6 mill I think we will have got a great signing. JP will be working his magic on Pannu. I think we need to dedicate a decent % of our budget on a good GK.