Author Topic: Women's World Cup  (Read 22654 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Women's World Cup
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
Have to say I am enjoying these matches.  The players are talented, they play with passion and they do not (generally) role around on the floor for ten minutes every time they get tackled.  Third goal last night was truly world class.

Ironically I thought the free kick for the third goal was very soft and our player handballed it while on the floor before the freekick was awarded.

Hey-ho, good finish
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »
Have to say I am enjoying these matches.  The players are talented, they play with passion and they do not (generally) role around on the floor for ten minutes every time they get tackled.  Third goal last night was truly world class.

Pretty much how I've enjoyed the WWC.

I have noticed that there is a bit more play acting creeping into the game than in previous years but it is very much still a minority, same with the kind of tactics employed by Cameroon.

That 3rd goal was indeed world class.

smethwick2

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »
Ironically I thought the free kick for the third goal was very soft and our player handballed it while on the floor before the freekick was awarded.

Hey-ho, good finish

I thought the same, couldn't really see why we got the freekick. Either way, it was a cracking finish

I have to say, I am enjoying the unknown in the sense that I know little about the quality of the teams in the tournament apart from France and USA are meant to be the best? Its been refreshing watching a game but without a predetermined opinion on who is/isnt any good

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2019, 12:31:52 PM »
A great win and team effort from our women. Phil Neville should not be forgotten and should take his fair share of the plaudits for how he has prepared the team and the tactics employed so far.

Well done to all involved with the success of the England Women’s Football Team
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2019, 04:37:56 PM »
Pleased we are in the semi’s and hopefully peaking at the right time, but going on our earlier performances and some of our defensive weaknesses, we will still need to improve to stand any chance of beating the USA or France on their home soil.

I still predict we will be playing for a bronze medal next weekend.
Boing Boing

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
Pleased we are in the semi’s and hopefully peaking at the right time, but going on our earlier performances and some of our defensive weaknesses, we will still need to improve to stand any chance of beating the USA or France on their home soil.

I still predict we will be playing for a bronze medal next weekend.

I would have you right on that Baggies. Hope i am wrong

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2019, 09:54:24 PM »
We've got the best striker at the World Cup and a centre back takes the decisive penalty. Bottle job Ellen White.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »
We've got the best striker at the World Cup and a centre back takes the decisive penalty. Bottle job Ellen White.

I know nothing of women’s football but I did wonder why she didn’t take it.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »
I don't understand why White doesn't take the penalties there as got to be a reason surely? She isn't our usual penalty taker?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:45 PM »
I don't understand why White doesn't take the penalties there as got to be a reason surely? She isn't our usual penalty taker?

Parris takes them, but has missed 2.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2019, 10:05:57 PM »

Parris takes them, but has missed 2.
yeah i know that's what I'm saying I can't understand why White didn't grab the ball and demand to take it. Why give it to a defender who IMO didn't have a very good game?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2019, 10:06:37 PM »
yeah i know that's what I'm saying I can't understand why White didn't grab the ball and demand to take it. Why give it to a defender who IMO didn't have a very good game?

No idea, totally agree with you.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »
some players just shy away from taking penalties, has Rondon ever scored from the spot? don t recall ever seeing him take a penalty.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2019, 10:12:45 PM »
some players just shy away from taking penalties, has Rondon ever scored from the spot? don t recall ever seeing him take a penalty.

Regards Sal, we've always had a nominated penalty taker since he's been here, so not the best example. England womens nominated penalty taker has missed 2, so why not step up?

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2019, 10:22:13 PM »

Regards Sal, we've always had a nominated penalty taker since he's been here, so not the best example. England womens nominated penalty taker has missed 2, so why not step up?
you would think an ex England International player who's the manager would have made the call, regarding Rondon he didn't take one in the shootout i think it was against Bristol City in the cup away that I found odd. some players just don't do penalties.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2019, 10:41:19 PM »
at the end of the day they were outplayed but a bloody good effort against the best team in the competition, well done girls you can come home with heads held high !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2019, 10:49:22 PM »
at the end of the day they were outplayed but a bloody good effort against the best team in the competition, well done girls you can come home with heads held high !
Till they get in and the other half has piled up the washing and the ironing 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2019, 11:24:40 PM »
Neville is accusing the referee of losing control of the game. Rubbish. He should accept with dignity that England, well though they played, lost to a better team on the night. I thought the referee had a reasonable game and couldn't be accused of influencing the final scoreline with an incorrect decision.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2019, 07:52:00 AM »
Tell you what, Alex Morgan wouldn't look out of place in a lot of Championship sides - easier on the eye too
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2019, 08:41:04 AM »
I thought that England’s right back (bronze ?) was very capable
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2019, 08:59:36 AM »
I thought that England’s right back (bronze ?) was very capable

Actually I thought the opposite.

Responsible for their first goal by turning her back on the goalscorer and watching the ball as it was whipped in, and whilst she did some good work, she also made several poor passes, given possession away. Dissapointed given all the hype about her to be honest.

Our goalkeeper was no great shakes either......

The septics were just quicker and more skilful all over. Cannot complain at the result
MAGA!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
It must be very disappointing for our England women’s team to have got so far and lose.

Hughton must be inconsolable after her penalty miss, plus White’s disallowed goal, according to VAR, makes for a miserable exit from the tournament.

But hold your heads high ladies, we are proud of you and what you have achieved.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
It must be very disappointing for our England women’s team to have got so far and lose.

Hughton must be inconsolable after her penalty miss, plus White’s disallowed goal, according to VAR, makes for a miserable exit from the tournament.

But hold your heads high ladies, we are proud of you and what you have achieved.

I agree with your thoughts AF, but that really was a poor penalty, the goalkeeper could have thrown her cap on that on........
MAGA!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »
I'm not going to lie, the women's game leaves me cold. I appreciate the differences in infrastructure/physicality etc and unlike a lot of journalists and commentators I'm not for one moment trying to compare them to the men. Some of the 'opinions' I've heard on Talk Sh!te for instance have proven even more laughable than usual.

But last night's game made for pretty poor fair from both sides, as has each of the admittedly few games I've watched ('highlights' mostly). There have been some intricate passages of play during the world cup but those moments stood out like beacons of light as they emerged from a very gloomy horizon ability/entertainment wise.

I admire the player's obvious love for the game (which mirrors my own), their ambitions, dedication and desire to take the game further and further. But just as with cricket I doubt I'll be tuning back into the women's game in the short to medium term future, and that's coming from someone who turns into an 'expert' when the curling comes on during the Winter Olympics.

I'd watch flies crawl up a wall if I thought they were having a race and although not a gambling man I once bet on a snail race while holidaying abroad. In truth I could probably invest more time and interest into women's netball than I can their football. Why? Because they're much better at netball. Bring on the new season, it can't get here quick enough  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2019, 11:45:23 AM »
To me it can be summed up as this - you rarely see a foul throw in the leagues, yet there were two in one game last night.

I watched it for the first time last night after all of the hype, but it was women against girls really. What made it more annoying was the contributions from my other half on the settee, asking me what they do selection wise when its their time of the month! Like I know the answer!!!! ???
MAGA!