Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 760981 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3400 on: June 26, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
Glad you finally accept it  ;)

There are others who can put decent corners over, Matt Phillips has put a few over.

As you are well aware it's utter nonsense. The statistics speak for themselves. Look at the company he's in.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3401 on: June 26, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »

No mate any of our players would have that amount of assists if they took all the corners, stands to reason...

Point is mate the only time we’ve looked like scoring from corners and free kicks for that matter is when Chris brunt is behind it. The corner and free kick has to be a good one to score from it which is what brunt does. Are you saying a poor corner kick taker would be on that list
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:34:51 PM by wbarenno »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3402 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »

As you are well aware it's utter nonsense. The statistics speak for themselves. Look at the company he's in.

Yep, stats speak for themselves but as pointed out by yourself albeit to try and have a pop at others, someone taking that amount of set pieces will have that sort of record especially at a club like ours that has been heavily reliant on set pieces for the past god knows how many years now.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3403 on: June 26, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »
Even a corner and free kick has to be delivered correctly, just as a pass from open play when a goal is scored.

And don’t all those guys in that list take corners and free kicks, so we are comparing like for like and he is up there with the best.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3404 on: June 26, 2019, 07:02:02 PM »
Point is mate the only time we’ve looked like scoring from corners and free kicks for that matter is when Chris brunt is behind it. The corner and free kick has to be a good one to score from it which is what brunt does. Are you saying a poor corner kick taker would be on that list

I'm pulling your leg mate. Other people on here have indeed suggested other Albion players would be on the list given the same opportunities. Mind boggling.

Yep, stats speak for themselves but as pointed out by yourself albeit to try and have a pop at others, someone taking that amount of set pieces will have that sort of record especially at a club like ours that has been heavily reliant on set pieces for the past god knows how many years now.

So where are the West Ham players? Where are the Everton players? Stoke?

As you say Phillips takes a decent corner in fact when both play he takes half the corners. Where's he on the list?

So no they won't have that sort of record, it is an incredible record. Hence why the list isn't littered with set piece takers of other clubs, but rather is filled with world class midfield and attacking players, and Brunt.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3405 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »

I'm pulling your leg mate. Other people on here have indeed suggested other Albion players would be on the list given the same opportunities. Mind boggling.

As you say Phillips takes a decent corner in fact when both play he takes half the corners. Where's he on the list?

So no they won't have that sort of record, it is an incredible record. Hence why the list isn't littered with set piece takers of other clubs, but rather is filled with world class midfield and attacking players, and Brunt.

I don't know who takes set pieces for those clubs, I have no idea if the same players take the majority as happens at this club and has done for the past 10 years.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3406 on: June 26, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »

Where's Phillips on the list ? I'm sure you realise really that he's probably played almost half the number of premier league games that Brunt has.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3407 on: June 26, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »
David Silva made his premier league debut in August 2010. In a Most Premier League Assists table he is credited with 83 assists.

Chris Brunt is in 8th place with 47 assists.

Full Table

1. David Silva, 83
2. Christian Erickson, 60
3. Eden Hazard, 54
4. Wayne Rooney, 53
5. Mesut Ozil, 52
6. Cesc Fabregas
7. Juan Mata, 50
8. Chris Brunt
9. James Milner
10. Kevin De Bruyne, 46

Well done Chris, he is not out of place in some illustrious company and this highlights what an important player he has been for Albion

Brunt is actually 40th in the Premier League assist records.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3408 on: June 26, 2019, 09:01:31 PM »
Brunt is actually 40th in the Premier League assist records.

The stat provided is since 2010 when David Silva made his debut. As clearly stated.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3409 on: June 26, 2019, 09:10:51 PM »

The Premier League site has all the stats:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/corner_taken

Brunt is 8th in the 'corners taken' table since the 2006/7 season (records only go back that far), with 748 in total.

Christian Eriksen has taken 750, James Milner has taken 778. Ashley Young is in first place with a whopping 922 corners taken.

It's also worth considering that many of these players have played in teams that have better strikers then we've had and therefore a higher conversion rate per chance created than Brunt has. It has been a lot easier for Silva to rack up assists playing for Man City when he has had Aguero, Tevez, Sterling etc to aim for during his time there.

It's difficult to deny that Brunt's record is very decent indeed.

Windmill Baggy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3410 on: June 26, 2019, 09:12:07 PM »

The stat provided is since 2010 when David Silva made his debut. As clearly stated.

No, it wasn't.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3411 on: June 26, 2019, 09:23:05 PM »

No, it wasn't.

Apologies. It's based on this which I saw on Twitter (where it is clearly stated). Assumed AlbionFan had specified.

https://twitter.com/KitmanPat/status/1143951000669233155?s=09

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3412 on: June 26, 2019, 09:36:58 PM »
I wonder where he would be in 'Open Play' assists?

I do not for one minute doubt his ability to deliver a great set-piece, which is what definitely would add weight to his statistics.

It's also worth noting that he lies 51st in Minutes Played in the Premier League.

One of the players who stuck out for me was Kevin Davies with 55 assists. That to me stood out, Chris Brunts statistic didn't in fairness. Do think he has been taken for granted, but can you justify keeping a player in the side purely for his set-piece delivery?

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3413 on: June 26, 2019, 09:47:06 PM »
He has had his time - end of
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3414 on: June 26, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »
I wonder where he would be in 'Open Play' assists?

I do not for one minute doubt his ability to deliver a great set-piece, which is what definitely would add weight to his statistics.

It's also worth noting that he lies 51st in Minutes Played in the Premier League.

One of the players who stuck out for me was Kevin Davies with 55 assists. That to me stood out, Chris Brunts statistic didn't in fairness. Do think he has been taken for granted, but can you justify keeping a player in the side purely for his set-piece delivery?

Often in life the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think at his peak he was a really useful player who also had just enough pace to be able to do other stuff as well as just set-pieces. I'll always remember his Odemwingie assist away at Newcastle from open play which was a beautiful ball - not only this but remember he's always consistently been a goal scorer down the years too.

But on the other hand, you're right. Sometimes you need a bit more from his open play, especially in the later years.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3415 on: June 26, 2019, 11:20:40 PM »
He can still deliver some precise and even devestating through passes, as well as his better known left foot outswinging crosses. Chris' biggest problem is his lack of pace, which has led to lots of yellow cards when he pulls back someone who has skipped away from him. On balance, I'm pleased we are holding onto him, partly because of his special loyalty and passion for the club, but that doesn't mean he will automatically be good enough for a place in the starting eleven. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3416 on: June 27, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
IMHO Brunt’s problems with us started when he started to play in central midfield.He never was/is/will be able to play there. His ability is set pieces and crosses into the box. He is still a decent squad player but in a left wing position, probably as cover for Gibbs. This central midfield obsession is not good for him or us and should be ended ASAP.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3417 on: June 27, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
Joint 29th in the Championship for assists last season. Which I feel is the more important stat since that's the level we are at.

https://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-championship-2018-2019/

Appreciate what he has brought to the team but his time should be over as a starter.

Throstletown

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3418 on: June 27, 2019, 10:11:27 AM »
Time to good bye imho he is not a winger and he can't tackle. So where does he fit if he was not such a loyal player over the years this would not be up for debate His time has gone but thank you Chris

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3419 on: June 27, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
The Villa 2nd leg should be enough evidence for removing him from central midfield. When he tried to be a combative midfield player he was a liability. He shouldn't now be picked ahead of Sam Field who can tackle, has younger legs and can grow into the role further.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3420 on: June 27, 2019, 10:22:38 AM »
I have said many times that he and Mozza have been my favourite modern day Albion players, what they have contributed to the club down the years cannot be over estimated.
But this is a new era and we need to rebuild, i am hoping to see a sleek fast West Bromwich Albion rising from the boring defensive one.

But lets not for get Chris's contributions, the match and season defining goals and assists, the dignified way he has performed despite the booing of our knuckledraggers.
Here is a player who has always given his best, who has been played out of positions most weeks but never complained, and never spat at the fans or stuck his fingers up to them like Olsson did. and who fans think a much better person.

I hope the club and the fans thank him in the proper way when the time comes for him to leave.

As clubmen, he and Mozza are second only to Bomber imo.

robbo_wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3421 on: June 27, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »
He can still deliver some precise and even devestating through passes, as well as his better known left foot outswinging crosses. Chris' biggest problem is his lack of pace, which has led to lots of yellow cards when he pulls back someone who has skipped away from him. On balance, I'm pleased we are holding onto him, partly because of his special loyalty and passion for the club, but that doesn't mean he will automatically be good enough for a place in the starting eleven.

Agree with this, his pass for Gayle’s volley against Preston at home was the ball of the year. A thing of beauty. Shouldn’t be starting every game, but still has the best passing and set piece delivery in the squad. If we are in need of a goal and have a corner I know I’d rather Brunt be standing over it than anyone else (at the moment).

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3422 on: June 27, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
The pass to Long against the Vile a few seasons ago takes some beating.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3423 on: August 03, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »
Amazing how much better we look without him in the team.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3424 on: August 03, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
Amazing how much better we look without him in the team.
100%
He's slowed us down for far too long
Sawyers
Harper
Edwards
Phillips
Krovonovic
Field
Livermore

Kieron oreagan
All ahead of brunt, time to say bye
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..