Author Topic: Trev the Shed  (Read 1831 times)

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

Trev the Shed
« on: March 25, 2024, 01:13:51 PM »
I live in St. Anne's, just outside of Blackpool, and while I was in a pub last night I got talking to an elderly but cheerful chap who clearly has a Black Country accent. In not time at all I found out he was a lifelong Baggie . He was at the 54 Cup Final (as were my dad's parents - my nan was secretary of the supporter's club at that time) but he topped the conversation off with the fact that his cousin was Trev the Shed.

Just surreal to have that chat 120 miles away from the hallowed ground! Highly enjoyable chat...
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: Trev the Shed
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 04:35:45 PM »
It's great to bump into Baggies miles from West Brom but even better when they're an old character like your gent. I  bet he told you a few things about the Albion from before your time.
Fantastic I bet a good time was had by all.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 04:50:41 PM »
Being an ‘old bugger’ myself, my first West Brom game might have been a couple of years before the 1954 final when my father and uncle lifted me over the turnstiles. Who knows, and unknown to me, Trev the Shed may have been playing in that game but sadly, I don’t remember who we were playing against and even the result!
That was when the Baggies got into my blood which has lasted throughout my lifetime.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 05:39:11 PM »
Excuse my ignorance on this, I assume Trev is still with us? He must be well in his 80s by now? Is Tony hale still with us to?

bournemouth baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 07:12:59 PM »
Being an ‘old bugger’ myself, my first West Brom game might have been a couple of years before the 1954 final when my father and uncle lifted me over the turnstiles. Who knows, and unknown to me, Trev the Shed may have been playing in that game but sadly, I don’t remember who we were playing against and even the result!
That was when the Baggies got into my blood which has lasted throughout my lifetime.

I'm pretty certain Trev never played for us

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 07:25:45 PM »
Maybe a better story - I was sat in a bar on Zakynthos about ten years ago and got talking to this bloke about football in general.

After a bit of chatting he told me he was Gordon West's son and had met Jeff Astle and Bomber Brown when he was a kid! What a coincidence to meet someone like that.

Anyone got any more chance meeting stories?

Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 09:27:59 PM »
I was in a bar in Cyprus when Ray Graydon, ex Villa and the then manager of Walsall, came into the bar. If I remember correctly Walsall had just been promoted, he was very amicable and bought a round of drinks.
I've seen a few others like, Steve Bruce, his son Alex, they were with Frank Stapleton in the Orange Tree Chadwick End, and again saw Steve Bruce in the Boot at Lapworth the night Blues had beaten us probably condemning us to a relegation, although to be fair he was pretty decent about it! Also, saw Lee Hendrie in his romper suit (hoodie & tracksuit bottoms) in the Orange Tree!
Also, saw Robert Hopkins and Carlton Palmer at the bar one early Saturday evening in the Yard of Ale New St, and years before Gary Shaw at the Kohinoor Indian restaurant opposite where the Dome night club was.
I'm sure many others on here have seen players and managers out and about, interesting to hear who and where!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 09:33:02 PM by elmo_in_swansea »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 11:54:03 PM »
Not Albion related, but many years ago some of the Ajax players used to go into a cafe on Leidseplein in the centre of Amsterdam after matches.  I got chatting to the Witschge twins, Robert and Richard after one game (Richard had a spell with Blackburn). Danny Blind, who was Ajax captain, then walked up and told them not to get involved (ie chatting to me!). Blind spent the latter part of his career as Louis van Gaal's assistant, but never thought much of him since! 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 10:28:06 AM »
Maybe a better story - I was sat in a bar on Zakynthos about ten years ago and got talking to this bloke about football in general.

After a bit of chatting he told me he was Gordon West's son and had met Jeff Astle and Bomber Brown when he was a kid! What a coincidence to meet someone like that.

Anyone got any more chance meeting stories?
Ironically my first game in 1969 and the first goal i saw at The Hawthorns was Jeff lobbing Gordon West in the Everton goal in front of the Brummie Road end.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 10:29:47 AM »
Was Trev The Shed not the Director at Albion, Trevor Summers? Not sure?
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2024, 11:10:28 AM »

Yes that's right.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2024, 11:32:15 AM »

He was. The gent who sparked this thread by chatting to me on Sunday went on to tell me how partial Big Ron was to 'Ladies of the Night'.

Allegedly.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2024, 12:46:05 PM »
Yes, called so because he had a shed building business. A figure of fun to some people, but he loved the club without a doubt.

Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2024, 03:02:54 PM »
Yes, called so because he had a shed building business. A figure of fun to some people, but he loved the club without a doubt. A
I think the moniker 'Trev the shed' was quite unfair, he was a local business man and Albion through and through.
Not sure if he was at the helm when we appointed Ardiles but he would certainly have been on the board, and I'm pretty sure he resisted a decent offer for Bob Taylor from Coventry I think and didn't just snatch their hands off.
He was definitely a part of our rise from the doldrums.
A decent bloke.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2024, 04:02:35 PM »
I think the moniker 'Trev the shed' was quite unfair, he was a local business man and Albion through and through.
Not sure if he was at the helm when we appointed Ardiles but he would certainly have been on the board, and I'm pretty sure he resisted a decent offer for Bob Taylor from Coventry I think and didn't just snatch their hands off.
He was definitely a part of our rise from the doldrums.
A decent bloke.

He was. Martin O'Neil was second choice at the time apparently.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 08:41:14 PM »
Didn't Trev the Shed sit in the dugout in a game in order to motivate the players, or was it Hale?

On meeting players, I met Don Goodman and Adrian Foster at Stourbridge snooker club. Both were top blokes. I never understood the hate towards Goodman, I don't think he hates us in his sky commentary and says it like it is. His under the cosh appearance confirmed he has no animosity towards us but he things younger fans hate him because they don't really remember him and just see him as someone who played for the dings too.

Met Bernt Haas at euro 2004, as the Swiss were in the same resort.

Non Albion I met Frank Worthington, Gordon Banks, and walked past Fabio Cappello and Bobby Charlton but had no real desire to go up to them and meet them.

I also met Lothar Matteus (a gent) and Andreas Brehme (not a gent), and an Italian WC winner who came to the Hawthorns as a manager of an Indian side we played a few years back, cannot recall his name.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 11:40:10 PM by BalisPen »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2024, 07:24:22 AM »
Didn't Trev the Shed sit in the dugout in a game in order to motivate the players, or was it Hale?

On meeting players, I met Don Goodman and Adrian Foster at Stourbridge snooker club. Both were top blokes. I never understood the hate towards Goodman, I don't think he hates us in his sky commentary and says it like it is. His under the cosh appearance confirmed he has no animosity towards us but he things younger fans hate him because they don't really remember him and just see him as someone who played for the dings too.

Met Bernt Haas at euro 2004, as the Swiss were in the same resort.

Non Albion I met Frank Worthington, Gordon Banks, and walked past Fabio Cappello and Bobby Charlton but had no real desire to go up to them and meet them.

I also met Lothar Matteus (a gent) and Andreas Brehme (not a gent), and an Italian WC winner who came to the Hawthorns as a manager of an Indian side we played a few years back, cannot recall his name.

Gianluca Zambrotta.

WBA 1 v 0 Delhi Dynamos.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 AM »
We could have been at the same games, I remember being squeezed between my father and the turnstile to get in and being lifted over the crowd to be put on the wall to see the game, don’t remember much except a game against Spurs, over 40000 all standing shoulder to shoulder (except me being shoulder to knee)
No segregation both sets of fans together
Bring on Leeds and everything changed anything to win legal or illegal by the manager, players and supporters  :-X

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2024, 06:39:24 PM »
Gianluca Zambrotta.

WBA 1 v 0 Delhi Dynamos.

That's him, it was significant to me because I saw him win it at the 2006 WC against France when Zidane got sent off.