Author Topic: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City  (Read 635306 times)

batesy123

Re: Peter Odemwingie Joins Cardiff City
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
The only way I could see us offering him to QPR is if we have got someone more or less signed, and we desperately need the money from selling Pete. Selling to QPR could make sense actually, they'd pay over the odds for him. Interesting to see if theres anything in this and how/if it develops. 6 months ago I'd categorically say no, however, in my opinion, he is no longer the best striker at the club and could be used to create funds for a better player.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
The only way I could see us offering him to QPR is if we have got someone more or less signed, and we desperately need the money from selling Pete. Selling to QPR could make sense actually, they'd pay over the odds for him. Interesting to see if theres anything in this and how/if it develops. 6 months ago I'd categorically say no, however, in my opinion, he is no longer the best striker at the club and could be used to create funds for a better player.

What have you been smoking mate? How could selling Odemwingie to QPR make any sense whatsoever from a footballing standpoint? If you think we are going to be able sell Pete and replace him with a proven talent in January, you are mistaken. That just won't happen. The best case scenario would then be having to take a punt on another unproven player or a player that has some sort of baggage. Why would we put ourself in that position when we already have a proven double figure striker. We need to strengthen the squad by adding quality to give us more options, not dismantle it by selling the player whose goals not only kept us up last year but left us comfortably in mid-table. If Fortune, and Bednar played 100 seasons in their peak, it is unlikely they would score 15 goals. They are the players that need to be replaced. Odemwingie is about as good a player as we can hope to have play for us for any length of time.

batesy123

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
What have you been smoking mate? How could selling Odemwingie to QPR make any sense whatsoever from a footballing standpoint? If you think we are going to be able sell Pete and replace him with a proven talent in January, you are mistaken. That just won't happen. The best case scenario would then be having to take a punt on another unproven player or a player that has some sort of baggage. Why would we put ourself in that position when we already have a proven double figure striker. We need to strengthen the squad by adding quality to give us more options, not dismantle it by selling the player whose goals not only kept us up last year but left us comfortably in mid-table. If Fortune, and Bednar played 100 seasons in their peak, it is unlikely they would score 15 goals. They are the players that need to be replaced. Odemwingie is about as good a player as we can hope to have play for us for any length of time.
read my post again, I meant it in a "That's the only way its ever going to happen" context. And he isn't a proven premier league, he has one good season, a proven striker is someone like Bent (hurts to say that, i hate him), Rooney, Drogba, to an extent Torres, players who have proved that their good fortune was actually permanent premiership class. Granted, everyone has to start somewhere, but Pete is two and half seasons of 15+ goals per season from being a proven premiership striker. If we have someone lined up with 3/4 years of premiership experience under their belt, go for it. But in Long and Odemwingie I think we have two of the best "new boys" in the league.

And i completely agree about strengthening the squad, but we need the money from somewhere. I hope he doesn't leave, still has something to prove.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:02 PM »
Everyone knows that QPR have money to spend but they are being linked to lots of strikers at the moment. With Hughes  now installed, he will have his own links.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
More uniformed speculation or no smoke without fire?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/17/2850348/fulham-in-talks-to-sign-peter-odemwingie-from-west-brom?

Having witnessed another poor performance from Odemwingie at the weekend some sort of a deal that resulted in us signing a replacement is starting to look attractive.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »
More uniformed speculation or no smoke without fire?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/01/17/2850348/fulham-in-talks-to-sign-peter-odemwingie-from-west-brom?

Having witnessed another poor performance from Odemwingie at the weekend some sort of a deal that resulted in us signing a replacement is starting to look attractive.

I don't think Odemwingie is entirely to blame he got bugger all support from midfield or Cox who didn't sdeem to know what he was supposed to be doing. It must be difficult for him to recieve the ball out wide and then try and hold it up until Cox or Thomas make a run for him by which time he's surrounded by defenders. I think he's trying hard but sometimes has to try and do the job of two players because the support isn't there.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

mulumbuman

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2087771/Fulham-West-Brom-striker-Peter-Odemwingie.html

Fulham have made a move for West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie amid doubts over the futures of Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson.
The Cottagers have reportedly opened talks for the 30-year-old after cooling their interest in Marseille’s Andre-Pierre Gignac.
Fulham are willing to pay £3 million plus performance-related add-ons for the 30-year-old but West Brom value the player at the £5m mark.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2087771/Fulham-West-Brom-striker-Peter-Odemwingie.html

Fulham have made a move for West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie amid doubts over the futures of Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson.
The Cottagers have reportedly opened talks for the 30-year-old after cooling their interest in Marseille’s Andre-Pierre Gignac.
Fulham are willing to pay £3 million plus performance-related add-ons for the 30-year-old but West Brom value the player at the £5m mark.

Iterestingly they value Zamora at the same value that we place on Pete - let's do a swap

Happy Days!
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
Would be a shame to see Pete go, he is just having a bad run at the moment, £5mill sounds like a reasonable offer though if we can spend that on a premiership striker
Baggie Terra

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »
PO for Zamora. Got to be on roughly same wages, both valued the same. Seems fair to me.
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 11:57:46 AM »
Reading fulhams board. One of their fans wrote this.

Outrageously greedy, unpredictable and most of the time choosing the wrong option. Baring this in mind, he has only reached double figures, goal-wise, in 3 of the 15 season's in his career (including Nigerian, Belgium, French & Russian leagues - all pretty poor IMO).

Think that's bull IMO.
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

Clarkus

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
i like zamora but man id be gutted if pete went. crazy game football

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
PO for Zamora. Got to be on roughly same wages, both valued the same. Seems fair to me.

I'm sure Zamora is on 45k a week at Fulham.  He'll probably want a rise when he moves as it may be his last big transfer.  I'd say theres absolutely no chance he'll be coming to us.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
If the right money came infor Pete I'd say snap their hands off and get a replacement.
Somethings not right with PO so for the sake of our season we need fresher approach.
Either change personnel or tactics.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Odemwingie is far more of a goal threat than Zamora ever will be. Talk about hitting double figures, Zamora has done it once in his career out of 8 premier league seasons.

People think this is far too much like Football Manager, if you really think we should sell our best flair player, when we have no obvious replacement and its highly unlikely we will, well thank God you have no say at the club. Odemwingie may have only scored 4 times this season, but 3 of those goals were in games we ended up winning by a one goal margin.

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
I'm sure Zamora is on 45k a week at Fulham.  He'll probably want a rise when he moves as it may be his last big transfer.  I'd say theres absolutely no chance he'll be coming to us.

I thought we offered PO around a 50k per week wage?
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »
I very much doubt any of our players are on £50k I am guessing but £40k might be the ceiling for us at the moment. Wages are the issue with PO if we are looking at something more substantial than a short term dip in form we really do not want to be paying at least £1.5m a year for a player on the slide.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

richjonawba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
Reading fulhams board. One of their fans wrote this.

Outrageously greedy, unpredictable and most of the time choosing the wrong option. Baring this in mind, he has only reached double figures, goal-wise, in 3 of the 15 season's in his career (including Nigerian, Belgium, French & Russian leagues - all pretty poor IMO).

Think that's bull IMO.

i think thats a fair assessment of him to be honest.

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
i think thats a fair assessment of him to be honest.
Cash In i say. If they want to pay £4-£5m for him, lets get rid and ship out Bednar and Fortune. Give Maynard a go plus someone better at this level.

Kevin Davies would be a good foil for Shane wouldnt he, just for a season or 2 - Kevin Campbell like?? Id be pretty happy with that for the short term.

DudleyBaggieFan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
If he goes who would we replace him with that's of same calibre? Any Johnson? Zamora? Jones? I'd like Zamora but can't see that coming off
Wolves 1- 5 WBA
12/2/2012
Never Forgotten

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »
You want to build around your better players not sell them.

He is being asked to play a different role this season that isn't helping him as he struggles to play with his back to goal in a deeper role which is what he has been doing, he has been blighted by injury and defenders have worked him out to a certain degree. It doesn't help when the team as a group look devoid of confidence especially when playing at home, he is greedy but most strikers are and he still manages to get a number of assists.

He is still one of our most important players and has already scored some vital goals for us this season and that is with him playing rubbish according to most on here.

GAZZER

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
Absolute tosh, all untrue more press rubbish!

Pseudo_Intel

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
You want to build around your better players not sell them.

He is being asked to play a different role this season that isn't helping him as he struggles to play with his back to goal in a deeper role which is what he has been doing, he has been blighted by injury and defenders have worked him out to a certain degree. It doesn't help when the team as a group look devoid of confidence especially when playing at home, he is greedy but most strikers are and he still manages to get a number of assists.

He is still one of our most important players and has already scored some vital goals for us this season and that is with him playing rubbish according to most on here.

I think this is one of the best posts about Odemwingie that I've seen in a while.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
I have no idea if the rumours, etc are true but i think this again comes back the managers plans and future.

I personally feel that Odemwingie isnt a Roy type player, he thrived end of last season but rightly or wrongly Roy has implemented his own style and Pete isnt the same player and does not have he same affect, for me i think we have a bloke who has shown he can score goals and can be a matchwinner and i would like us to keep him.

However, if Roy is here for the long haul i think he would prefer Long over Odemwingie as you know what you are getting with Long where Pete is unpredictable. If Roy is staying and he doesnt think Pete fits into his plans then he may as well sell him, i dont want that but if the manager dont see him in his plans thats the obvious thing.

The risk is if we do that, Roy then leaves in the summer the new manager may of loved Odemwingie and played a style to suit him, get the best out of him and we have let him go.

Roys future needs sorting asap!

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 07:11:40 PM »
If he goes who would we replace him with that's of same calibre? Any Johnson? Zamora? Jones? I'd like Zamora but can't see that coming off

We wouldn't pay the wages of an adequate replacement BUT I cannot see him going anywhere and this seems a totally fruitless story.

If we sell our best players then we have little hope going forward.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !