Author Topic: Next manager...  (Read 725065 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Next manager...
« Reply #2725 on: May 29, 2019, 11:54:57 PM »
So we’re two weeks away again. We were two weeks away ten days ago!

'In the next fortnight', isn't 'after another fortnight'.

If we can get Labbadia, it'll be worth the wait.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2726 on: May 30, 2019, 12:35:18 AM »

A rare light hearted moment from your good self!!  ;D  Well played.

What makes you think I was joking.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2727 on: May 30, 2019, 12:53:40 AM »
Best news of heard is Appleton is talking to Swansea and Hughton doesn't really want the job. Hughton is almost as old as me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2728 on: May 30, 2019, 02:35:57 AM »
What makes you think I was joking.

Common sense?

Your entire 'good football above all else' ethos.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2729 on: May 30, 2019, 04:31:52 AM »
Best news of heard is Appleton is talking to Swansea and Hughton doesn't really want the job. Hughton is almost as old as me.

Hodgson is arguably one of our better managers over the last 20 years and he is getting on a bit  :P

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2730 on: May 30, 2019, 06:42:05 AM »

Common sense?

Your entire 'good football above all else' ethos.

No coach or player comes with a guarantee of sucess so I will always go with the best footballing option as I am pretty much committed to watching it anyway. So in my view that would place Appleton ahead of Cowley but given the aversion that some posters have towards Appleton I thought I would throw in a reference to him to draw comment. 

I'm just not a very good wind up merchant. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2731 on: May 30, 2019, 08:42:03 AM »
Must be quite promising if he's now had a second round of talks.

The only negative for us now if he doesn't take the job is the 'next in line' will know they were probably second choice for the job.

Hopefully we can get this one sorted and crack on with getting a new squad together.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2732 on: May 30, 2019, 10:30:17 AM »
Quite a bit to glean between the lines.

1. Cowley looks like he is out of contention
2. Hughton wants time off (polite way of saying thanks but no thanks on his part maybe)
3. Other coaches who have come available since the end of the season under consideration. Allegri anyone??

But the key takeaway here is that it looks like Labbadia is the leading candidate.

I guess if I can't have Appleton, Labbadia is not a bad alternative.

sorry if ive took that wrong, but why the hell would you want appleton ?!

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2733 on: May 30, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
How many on here had actually heard of BL before the link? Yet it seems he's thought of of the best candidate?
Don't call me Walt

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2734 on: May 30, 2019, 10:53:30 AM »
How many on here had actually heard of BL before the link? Yet it seems he's thought of of the best candidate?

I had not heard of him, however having read up on his history and given our current predicament I do believe he is the best candidate.

We need someone who has a knowledge of the European market, unfortunately we cannot compete for good quality young championship and league 1 players.
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2735 on: May 30, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48459550

According to the BBC...
West Bromwich Albion expect to have a new head coach in place by the time their first-team squad returns for pre-season training at the end of June.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2736 on: May 30, 2019, 10:59:09 AM »

I think its more a case of him being a better option than the others we have been linked with (or at least the ones who are interested in the job).

He has more experience than the majority of other names, isn't part of the old british merry go round of managers and he will have a knowledge of a league where its likely you can pick up the odd decent player for next to nothing.

Granted no one guarantees success, but Wagner and Farche or just two of the names who have come over and done well in this country.

We have been crying out for something fresh for years now, something different to the old tried and tested british manager or novice.

Mr Cynical

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2737 on: May 30, 2019, 11:03:50 AM »

According to the BBC...
West Bromwich Albion expect to have a new head coach in place by the time their first-team squad returns for pre-season training at the end of June.

If we don't have a new head coach, and a recruitment push, we won't have a squad to report in at the end of June!

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2738 on: May 30, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »

Id heard of him....if youve followed eurpean leagues then you definitely will have heard of him
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2739 on: May 30, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
Id heard of him....if youve followed eurpean leagues then you definitely will have heard of him
So you'd rate him?
Don't call me Walt

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2740 on: May 30, 2019, 11:07:21 AM »

According to the BBC...

thats a joke, hes needs to be in place well before that
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2741 on: May 30, 2019, 11:12:29 AM »
Again there is absolutely nothing in that article that we either did not know or could not guess. Who would have thought that we would have a new head coach in place for when the players return for training. A chimp could have predicted that.....

Another 'scoop' for Simon Stone.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:15:28 AM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2742 on: May 30, 2019, 11:22:25 AM »

thats a joke, hes needs to be in place well before that

If he gets the job today he can't do much without the players here, who I understand are on holiday.
I would imagine he needs to assess the players, speak to them, outline his plan for the future then ask who's in and who's off.
Once he's done that he can see what he needs and who's available.
I would imagine that all other players are on holiday as well so he couldn't speak to proposed transfers.
I don't think there's any need to panic yet.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2743 on: May 30, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »
That article is just stating the obvious. Absolutely no point in publishing it. Of course the new man will be in charge by the time the players come back for training.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2744 on: May 30, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »
Hodgson is arguably one of our better managers over the last 20 years and he is getting on a bit  :P

The only things Hodgson and Hughton have in common is their surnames begin with H and they both walk on legs.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2745 on: May 30, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
I’ve heard a rumour we’ve made our minds up on someone and hope to appoint over the weekend. No idea if true.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2746 on: May 30, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
I’ve heard a rumour we’ve made our minds up on someone and hope to appoint over the weekend. No idea if true.

Would we be right in assuming that would be Labaddia? Public knowledge would assume he's the only one to speak to the club twice...

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2747 on: May 30, 2019, 12:31:27 PM »
He is well known in Germany, but admittedly has limited experience in European competition or the German national team. (Ironically, he would have got more European experience, if he'd stayed in Wolfsburg). I hope he will get the chance with us as he will bring some new enthousiasm and new ideas to the the place. He will have loads of knowledge of available players in the German leagues at generally affordable prices. He come across very positive, and judging how the Wolfsburg players gave him the bumps after their last game, was well thought of by them.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2748 on: May 30, 2019, 12:46:51 PM »
I think we need to get him in ASAP as there will be much for him to do even before the players return
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2749 on: May 30, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
I think we need to get him in ASAP as there will be much for him to do even before the players return

I'm guessing his contract probably runs out on June 30 as lots seem to. Just a guess, I don't know but it wouldn't be a surprise. If that is the case nothing would become official till then. Doesn't mean things won't be going on behind the scenes though.