Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 217418 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #450 on: April 05, 2019, 01:58:08 PM »
Hope he comes back in tomorrow.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #451 on: April 05, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
Having not watched every Leeds game I have no idea how Roberts does each week but seems to be doing okay and did well against us recently. Roofe who knows if he had stayed would have saved us a few quid in the process. If we don't give them game time we will never know and as a club we seem reluctant to give them games whilst clubs around us seem happy to do so.

Izzy Brown would have played many more games if not for some bad injuries which seem to have affected him, again another who could have saved us money but had his head turned.

If their demands are out of touch then yes we should always let them go but as a club we're happy to keep some on the gravy train but reluctant to see if we have gems of our own.

Would Statham, Bennett etc be given a chance these days or we would we dismiss them after a few games?

Can’t compare 2019 with the mid-1970s unfortunately. There’s far more at stake now in terms of need to avoid relegation.  Very few PL clubs can afford be patient blooding youngsters.

For the sale reason we couldn’t afford the luxury of blooding Roofe, Roberts, Wood etc in the PL, nor would Harper of Edwards have been given this season’s opportunities if we were still in the PL.   Blooding Academy lads in the Championship is comparatively much easier.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #452 on: April 06, 2019, 06:30:40 PM »
For goodness sake get this lad back in the team NOW.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2019, 06:47:02 PM »
Absolute joke leaving him out.  OK he hasn’t signed a contract.  It might be down to what league we’re in next season.  The phrase cutting your nose off to spite your face comes to mind. 

Why not just give yourself the best chance of promotion?

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #454 on: April 20, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
Harper's performance yesterday suggested to me he is either low on confidence, his head is elsewhere or he is genuinely confused by events.

He added very little to the game, which is a shame as he has done well.

It made me think he has made his mind up and is going elsewhere. The introduction of Phillips was a huge contrast just in terms of energy, work rate and contribution.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #455 on: April 20, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »
Sauid the exact same thing to my mate at the game yesterday, he's made his mind up and he's decided his future lies elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:52:27 PM by gazberg »

KH Baggies

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2019, 12:29:05 PM »
Even if he thinks he might leave, there is no excuse for his half hearted non performance yesterday.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2019, 12:43:38 PM »
If he is set to leave club there's another reason that lying and Jenkins need to f off. Running this club into ground with their decision making and lack of a plan.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #458 on: April 20, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
A very promising young player who I hope  does not leave. However, a totally unacceptable display yesterday. Showed no desire, no heart and no real interest in my opinion.

adamw1109

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #459 on: April 22, 2019, 01:15:52 AM »
Sauid the exact same thing to my mate at the game yesterday, he's made his mind up and he's decided his future lies elsewhere.

You came to that conclusion after a poor performance?

In that case the whole squad has been leaving to go elsewhere for the past couple of seasons.  ???

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #460 on: April 22, 2019, 10:37:15 AM »
urine poor management hasn't helped.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #461 on: April 22, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
urine poor management hasn't helped.

I'd like to agree with you gazberb but its all down to money, footballers today are mercenaries/bankers just £ sign.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #462 on: April 22, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »
There seems to be a problem at our club that we can’t hold on to promising youngsters coming through or let youngsters go who prove that they are good enough. If it's down to unrealistic money aspirations then fair enough but if  there are other issues management needs to be addressing these problems.we probably have in the next few years our greatest crop of emerging talent who could push this club on  to the next level and it would be nice to see these players on long contracts down the Albion.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #463 on: April 22, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »
I'd like to agree with you gazberb but its all down to money, footballers today are mercenaries/bankers just £ sign.

I agree 100% with you on that. Few good games and they think they are the next big thing when in reality only a few will ever be.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #464 on: April 22, 2019, 11:18:55 PM »
At least looked interested today.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #465 on: April 23, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
You came to that conclusion after a poor performance?

In that case the whole squad has been leaving to go elsewhere for the past couple of seasons.  ???

He didn't try against Preston, hence that comment. He looked totally disinterested.
Our players have been interested in the season, just lack a lot of energy. Our tempo or lack of, is a concern.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #466 on: April 23, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »
There seems to be a problem at our club that we can’t hold on to promising youngsters coming through or let youngsters go who prove that they are good enough. If it's down to unrealistic money aspirations then fair enough but if  there are other issues management needs to be addressing these problems.we probably have in the next few years our greatest crop of emerging talent who could push this club on  to the next level and it would be nice to see these players on long contracts down the Albion.
You mean like Dawson?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #467 on: April 23, 2019, 11:28:54 PM »
You mean like Dawson?

Dawson had made close to 100 first team appearances by the time we signed him. Not really the same situation
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #468 on: April 24, 2019, 08:35:51 AM »

The only one I would say who has gone on to do well is Chris Wood.

Kemar Roofe wasn't really a youngster when he left, and he left for the lower leagues and has took a couple years to really come to terms with the leagues, he was 25 when he had his first good season in the championship.

Izzy Brown - cant really comment on him as he hasn't really played regular football.

Yan Dhanda - played 3 games for Swansea this season.

Tyler Roberts - Was let go due to his wage demands. Has 3 goals in 21 games this season for a Leeds United team who are above us in the league. You only have to do a quick twitter search to see there are quite a few Leeds fans who don't rate him as much as some of our fans seem too.

Back on topic - Yes Rekeem has potential, but he also needs to add a lot to his game if he believes he is going to play at the top. I fully expect him to leave in the summer, he will probably go to a prem team and not make any appearances next year before being loaned out.

Do we look at Rekeem as being better than he is because we have had to watch our slow laboured midfield for the last 2-3 seasons?

For what it's worth, I would rather have Sam Field in my midfield than Harper.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #469 on: April 24, 2019, 01:00:16 PM »
Half the issue is your league position.  If you're in the Prem then your youth need to come through good enough to play at that level.  If they are only Championship quality then you have to decide if they're worth keeping - they may develop into a good enough player, they may not, or you may have plans to buy players in.  The lower down the leagues you go the easier it is to bring youth through into the first team.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #470 on: April 24, 2019, 03:57:29 PM »
Izzy Brown was lured away by Chelsea’s Russian money, which included, I believe, a £1 million payment to his parents! I think any lad would find that a hard temptation to resist.

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #471 on: April 24, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »
Izzy Brown was lured away by Chelsea’s Russian money, which included, I believe, a £1 million payment to his parents! I think any lad would find that a hard temptation to resist.

Similar with Yan Dhanda I believe too.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #472 on: April 27, 2019, 05:12:47 PM »
Criminal that we haven't sorted a contract for him by February. Him going on a free will highlight how badly ran the club is.

Raw talent needs more game time at this level but could be a feature for years to come is going to be allowed to leave is just horrific by us
O Albion we love you

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #473 on: April 27, 2019, 05:21:43 PM »
Absolutely terrible first half. Looked like a lost puppy. Second half was like he had dynamite stuck up his backside. He started winning the ball back, making direct runs forward, scored a goal,  working to find space.

No doubt the lad has talent with the ball at his feet but he has so much work to do off the ball.

Huge talent though at only 18 and really pleased for him to get his first goal - finally.

wbawill

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #474 on: April 27, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »
Absolutely terrible first half. Looked like a lost puppy. Second half was like he had dynamite stuck up his backside. He started winning the ball back, making direct runs forward, scored a goal,  working to find space.

No doubt the lad has talent with the ball at his feet but he has so much work to do off the ball.

Huge talent though at only 18 and really pleased for him to get his first goal - finally.

As you say, he's definitely guilty of occasionally going missing; that's an entirely reasonable criticism. But that's pretty normal when a player is 18 - it's incredible rare for a player to be able to influence the game at all times at that age. I'm very frustrated with fans writing off Harper and Field already - they both have great potential and I hope we keep hold of both of them so they can realise that potential in our midfield, rather than someone else's. That said, the play offs are "win at all costs" games so I'm not sure I'd pick either to start in the play offs.

Great strike by Harper today, and it was clear as day how much it meant to him. Great to see.