Author Topic: 7 Dec 2018 Albion 2 Aston Villa 2  (Read 64705 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #300 on: December 08, 2018, 12:18:55 AM »
I hate Villa as much as anyone else, but the fact that we've had to resort to cheating because we cannot change the game through tactics/substitutions is hardly worth celebrating.

I'll celebrate when we keep a clean sheet, or if Moore ever makes a substitution that has a positive effect on the game.

Wow, football Grinch. I'd cheat every minute of every day if it guaranteed wins over the Vile and Dingles.  Clean sheet at some point would be nice though.

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #301 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:08 AM »
Thought Gibbs should of been quicker out to
Elgazi for both goals ,for a player of his supposed quality
We should be seeing more from him he shouldn’t be given the runaround by any winger in this division

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2018, 12:21:15 AM »
Square Pegs, Square Pegs, Square Pegs, Square Pegs, Square Pegs, Square Pegs, Square Pegs & Round Holes. Nothing has changed even though everyone else can see it. If Brunt is the answer what is the question?

Defenders who cant pass being asked to play like Barcelona, our best goalscorer on the wing. I give up!!
Gera, Gera, Gera

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2018, 12:25:25 AM »
I hate Villa as much as anyone else, but the fact that we've had to resort to cheating because we cannot change the game through tactics/substitutions is hardly worth celebrating.

I'll celebrate when we keep a clean sheet, or if Moore ever makes a substitution that has a positive effect on the game.
Cheating? It looked ok on first time of viewing at proper speed, and  both officials had obscured views. If Nat Lofthouse had scored that nobody  would have complained.  Hard cheese on the Villa.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:33:52 AM by mulliganstired »

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:28 AM »
Didn't deserve it but who cares! Bet those who left in the 80th minute feel daft...

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2018, 01:15:15 AM »
Attendance was officially 26,513. Now here is the surprising bit. Villa fans numbered 2,617 which is some 120 short of the number Leeds brought to the Hawthorns last month. Not sure how that is the case but those are the official figures.

23,896 sees the biggest home attendance of the season beating the turnout vs Bolton on the opening day by 514.

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2018, 01:16:39 AM »
He scores with his hand, he scores with his haaaaand, Jay Rodriguez, he scores with his hand!

It wasn’t us at our fluent best but I think we all recognise Villa are a new proposition under Smith and the division’s in form side. I thought it was a very even game and a point isn’t a bad result. Let’s see how we feel about the result after the rest of the weekend’s games.

If Leeds, Pulisball FC or Norwich drop points then a draw at home to villa Isn’t the end of the world. COYB ahead of Sheff Utd next weekend!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #307 on: December 08, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
Only saw the highlights, but from what I saw Villa went for it and created far more clear cut chances. The big positive for us was having the character to come back at the end. I thought Gayle's goal was brilliant except the class player he is made it look simple. Barry has still got a damned good pass in him. JRod showed a lot of guts to go in where it hurt  at the end, and sometimes you only get the lucky rub of the green if you go in where it hurts. On balance, think we can be satisfied with the point, although we must keep in touch with the top 2.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2018, 01:45:02 AM »
Anyone who can read a game of football can see why it went the way it did, they got a lucky opening goal from a huge deflection and were able to create several chances as we chased an equaliser. Then they re-took the lead with a worldie and low and behold created chances while we chased a second equaliser. At nil nil we dominated the game. At 1-1 we dominated the game. We'll win the league, they'll have to settle for play offs.

We're by far the better side.

Oh and just for McSkittle:    Hand of Rod  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #309 on: December 08, 2018, 02:06:31 AM »
Anyone who can read a game of football can see why it went the way it did, they got a lucky opening goal from a huge deflection and were able to create several chances as we chased an equaliser. Then they re-took the lead with a worldie and low and behold created chances while we chased a second equaliser. At nil nil we dominated the game. At 1-1 we dominated the game. We'll win the league, they'll have to settle for play offs.

I know you are a wind up merchant so not going to bite particularly but "we dominated the game"  ;D. Come on, no-one is buying that. The opening ten minutes of the second half yes other than that not to anyone that has eyes.

Hand of Rod. The club shop seriously need to get t-shirts printed.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #310 on: December 08, 2018, 02:51:17 AM »

You dominated the first 5 minutes of the second half, that was about it.

We were the better side, created the only clear cut chances. Poor finishing and two handballs cost us.

Disappointing to drop 2 points, but it could prove a useful point should we beat Stoke and Leeds.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #311 on: December 08, 2018, 04:18:35 AM »

We were the better side, created the only clear cut chances. Poor finishing and two handballs cost us.

Disappointing to drop 2 points, but it could prove a useful point should we beat Stoke and Leeds.

Okay mate see you in February... Well if you're still in the top half.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #312 on: December 08, 2018, 07:09:42 AM »

No mate we dominated until you scored, then we lost our way a little, we pushed men forward leaving you with too much space, pretty much the same as leeds did with us, difference is we had the cutting edge in that game and you didn't last night. To be honest I was expecting a lot more from Villa considering the run you had been on, I think if hutton didnt make that goal saving block on around 50 mins we would have cruised it and we would have capitalised on the space you would of left with barnes Jrod and gale on the break

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #313 on: December 08, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »
Even the most ardent Albion fan will admit that 'goal' papered over the cracks massively for you lot. If Abraham has his shooting boots on, we win that 4-1. Even if he doesn't we win 2-1 with a linesman who can see.

We looked head and shoulders above you lot second half. Our midfield ran the show and our team looks much more balanced.

We will be well ahead of you come May. Smith is a million times better than Moore and you'll regret not getting him in the summer.

You read a post like that and you wonder why everybody hates you as a club.

You need to remember where you were a few months ago mate....
MAGA!

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #314 on: December 08, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
Barry was the best player on the park in an Albion shirt.

A few people have said this but I read it totally differently. I thought that his lack of mobility and legs to get near the opposition midfield really hurt us; maybe harsh but I thought he should have got out for the first goal rather than wait for Gibbs, who clearly was of the same mindset as he hesitated. May also be harsh but he got easily beaten by Grealish for the second who gave the ball to El Ghazi. Granted Barry did play the ball well through the lines on a couple of occasions.

I think that fact that both he and Livermore were in there meant we lost something. I think going forward it needs to be one of them for that deeper central role, we don't get as much from midfield with them both in there.

HamsteadHarry

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »
Henry,Maradona, J.Rod -What a fantasy forward line- What a basketball team!   ;) I thought it was well matched overall.Some of Barry's long passing was excellent, exposing Hutton  most of the first half.Still a lot of room for improvement.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2018, 08:28:46 AM »
Cheating? It looked ok on first time of viewing at proper speed, and  both officials had obscured views. If Nat Lofthouse had scored that nobody  would have complained.  Hard cheese on the Villa.

I've just looked at it on the sky highlights, there was no cheating, it hit JR on the back of his hand as it went in. There was absolutely no intent.
We've all seen goals disallowed for that, but we've also seen them given.
Luck was on our side last night, but cheating! no.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »
Even the most ardent Albion fan will admit that 'goal' papered over the cracks massively for you lot. If Abraham has his shooting boots on, we win that 4-1. Even if he doesn't we win 2-1 with a linesman who can see.

We looked head and shoulders above you lot second half. Our midfield ran the show and our team looks much more balanced.

We will be well ahead of you come May. Smith is a million times better than Moore and you'll regret not getting him in the summer.

You've hit a bit of form,  but don't get too carried away, football tends to bite back.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
Barry did his job when he play alongside Livermore.
But after Brunt came on, Barry played a little bit higher on the pitch, then his his lack of mobility was exposed.
Should be replaced by Hoolahan or Harper for the last 10 mins.
The PRIDE of midlands

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #319 on: December 08, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »
I think there have been signs of more fluidity in our play in the last two games, but the lack of speed and legs in midfield is an obvious limitation.

Also,the thing that worries me is that whatever anyone says or what Puel may have hinted at, Barnes could leave in Jan. Phillips could easily get injured. These two are the only ones who are tried, trusted and who have both quality AND pace and provide 90% of our penetration. The thought of us without one of them is worrying, without both of them...well just doesn't bare thinking about.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #320 on: December 08, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
No mate we dominated until you scored, then we lost our way a little, we pushed men forward leaving you with too much space, pretty much the same as leeds did with us, difference is we had the cutting edge in that game and you didn't last night. To be honest I was expecting a lot more from Villa considering the run you had been on, I think if hutton didnt make that goal saving block on around 50 mins we would have cruised it and we would have capitalised on the space you would of left with barnes Jrod and gale on the break

Like the other chap says, if Abraham turns up, it's 4-1. They weren't difficult chances, but they were missed nonetheless

Bar your first goal, did you create anything clear cut? Gayle skied a header second half, but it was huff and puff and you quickly ran out of ideas.

I draw a lot of confidence from how we play. Derby, Forest, Boro, Albion and Small Heath. All were or are above us, but we've been comfortably better than all of them, with the chances we had, should have won them all too and scored 17. This is supposed to be our difficult run too. We'll strengthen in January and be fine.

Best signing you could make in January would be a manager. Bizarre to shoehorn your best forward in out wide.

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #321 on: December 08, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
Like the other chap says, if Abraham turns up, it's 4-1. They weren't difficult chances, but they were missed nonetheless

Bar your first goal, did you create anything clear cut? Gayle skied a header second half, but it was huff and puff and you quickly ran out of ideas.

I draw a lot of confidence from how we play. Derby, Forest, Boro, Albion and Small Heath. All were or are above us, but we've been comfortably better than all of them, with the chances we had, should have won them all too and scored 17. This is supposed to be our difficult run too. We'll strengthen in January and be fine.

Best signing you could make in January would be a manager. Bizarre to shoehorn your best forward in out wide.
Mate he missed one sitter you let us back in the game after we scored there only looked like one team who was going to go on and win the game.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:10:14 AM by hunsletbaggie »

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #322 on: December 08, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »

And how do you think the game would have gone if you hadn't have fluked the first goal? I'll tell you. We score first, you chase the game & we destroy you on the counter, similar to our Leeds game. Significant that while the game was level we were the dominant team & looking the most likely  including the last 5 minutes when our guys were dead on their feet. You should say a huge thanks to Sky playing against a team who had less than 4 days rest whilst Vile had more than 6!
Agree on the manager front. Pity you didn't get Henry.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:28:21 AM by Hull Baggie »

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #323 on: December 08, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »
I've just looked at it on the sky highlights, there was no cheating, it hit JR on the back of his hand as it went in. There was absolutely no intent.
We've all seen goals disallowed for that, but we've also seen them given.
Luck was on our side last night, but cheating! no.

Agreed he did not move his hand, completely accidental and rightly the goal stood.

As for the chances the villa missed, they also scored two very lucky goals. One took two defections and was an o
g. the other was a rocket which could easily have gone wide.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #324 on: December 08, 2018, 09:48:15 AM »
Villa were not the better team!

You played well but you were not the better team

We were not really at the races today and still looked a cut above the majority of the match...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts