Poll

Will you be taking up your option of receiving the Covid vaccine.

Yes
90 (86.5%)
No
11 (10.6%)
Undecided
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1197693 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2020, 01:04:06 PM »
What action do you think they should have taken?  I'm suggesting that the advice, such as, "if you can work from home, do so", could have been given weeks ago?

There's going to be a lot of damage to business now anyway, and what have we saved?  Are our infections lower than other countries?  Death rate lower?  No.  So we're going to end up closing businsses and schools very soon anyway.

If we were concerned about the effect on businesses we'd still be testing them.  I know a child carers who has a bit of a cold, pretty sure it's not the virus, but now they have to stay at home for 14 days putting more pressure on their nursery.  Likewise for people in other jobs that can't be done at home.

If you close down schools, who will look after the kids, the grandparents, the very people we are trying to protect.
Everything the government does has a reaction elsewhere, this is a time for personal responsibility and consideration of others, not finger pointing and political points scoring
Baggie in Southampton

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »
I don't think there's any way of coping well with this virus to be honest - it appears to be to minimise the effect that it has.

I welcome the Governments decision to do daily updates and I would hope a new budget is announced today to alleviate the stresses on working families and small businesses.

I have to say though, the narrative that seems to be going round on social media amongst certain quarters which is mainly stating that the Tories are genocidal murderers is nothing short of scandalous.

This is a time where both government and opposition should be coming together and not embarking on cheap politicial point scoring.

The coverage on SKY has been very good - their news break comes with reminders on screen of the Government advice. Compare that to some of the other organisations... BBC quoting a load of university students with no medical backgrounds & Piers ******* Morgan..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #327 on: March 17, 2020, 01:30:41 PM »
what about holding foreign aid for a while to help those that are going to need it in the UK
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #328 on: March 17, 2020, 01:49:06 PM »
Imagine the EU bill we would have faced! ? :o
Baggie in Southampton

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #329 on: March 17, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
I'm surprised that the" world" has not blamed China for this latest pandemic,I've been saying for a while now why doesn't the world charge China for what damage they've caused?
Reparations I think its called,havnt heard a bad word against them yet.
The world could easily bankrupt China its a disgrace what they've caused for no blame?
This

I’ve seen a load of rubbish hurled in the direction of Boris, so many using a global crisis to make stupid and irrelevant political points (doesn’t matter what side you are on at the moment) and many posts stating that people shouldn’t call it a Chinese disease or associate blame with China
The stuff that goes on in China concerning food and animal welfare is disgusting, it’s no wonder they have put the world in to quarantine.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2020, 02:21:53 PM »
Imagine the EU bill we would have faced! ? :o

They have just slapped a massive fine on Italy for failing to recover state aid.

Imagine that, a country trying to survive a epidemic that has wiped out thousands and the EU find it fitting to drop a fine on them.

Priorities eh?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
If you close down schools, who will look after the kids, the grandparents, the very people we are trying to protect.
Everything the government does has a reaction elsewhere, this is a time for personal responsibility and consideration of others, not finger pointing and political points scoring

I'm not political point scoring, I don't care what colour the party who has taken these decisions wears.  It's just pretty clear, from all the evidence provided, that we have taken (up until now) a desperately different approach to this than the accepted WHO advice and other countries decision makers. 

I disagree that we have done things the correct way. 

Anyway, who has said you close the schools down completely?  You run them on a skeleton basis, you test people and if someone has had the virus and recovered (and there's at least short term immunity), then they can be allowed back in to work.  You need to test people and find out where the virus is, and it isn't. 

Otherwise what's your angle here?  If we shut the schools down next week will you still say that's the wrong thing to do because of the grandparents?  Or will it suddenly be the right thing to do?  If we don't shut the schools down officially but more and more teachers end up having to self isolate, what do we do then?

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »

I agree, with about 40% of the NHS with children, do we really want the NHS reduced to a Skelton crew as they all take time off to look after their kids.

My son's school has suspended lessons from tomorrow now due to lack of staff but will take children from NHS and Emergency services.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
This

I’ve seen a load of rubbish hurled in the direction of Boris, so many using a global crisis to make stupid and irrelevant political points (doesn’t matter what side you are on at the moment) and many posts stating that people shouldn’t call it a Chinese disease or associate blame with China
The stuff that goes on in China concerning food and animal welfare is disgusting, it’s no wonder they have put the world in to quarantine.

as they have 20% of the worlds population, its predictable that some viruses will develop there,
Off the top of my head,
Swine flu - Mexico
MERS - Saudi
Spanish flu - Kansas, USA

there is an interesting graphic here
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2020, 02:39:57 PM »
Regarding China not closing down buisness, totally wrong again, where the infection was rampant, all buisness closed down, it will flare up in China again once people start moving again.

You are right in that assertion, and particularly when people start returning to China from other parts of the world. I heard that they are restarting their Basket Ball League, which is big in China and clubs have instructed all contracted players to return and report for training, many of these players are from the USA, who had returned home when the outbreak started.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »
After Macron's recent announcement France are now researching the best way to let a virus know they surrender.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
My son's school has suspended lessons from tomorrow now due to lack of staff but will take children from NHS and Emergency services.

Isn't this what I was on about though? Instead of the option  being "all schools closed", it is possible to close them while still allowing front line workers to work? 

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »
Just under 500 new cases here

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #338 on: March 17, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
I agree, with about 40% of the NHS with children, do we really want the NHS reduced to a Skelton crew as they all take time off to look after their kids.

That is a good move, reducing the number and increasing separation of children in schools is wise
Baggie in Southampton

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #339 on: March 17, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
They have just slapped a massive fine on Italy for failing to recover state aid.

Imagine that, a country trying to survive a epidemic that has wiped out thousands and the EU find it fitting to drop a fine on them.

Priorities eh?

I think it was a 4.7b Euro fine because they set a budget that exceeded the EU's limit on public spending of 3% of GDP. Additionally, they have to pay 80,000 Euro a day for every day the loan remains unpaid.

The EU have also imposed a ban on all 27 member states exporting medical equipment and supplies to none EU countries. The UK on the other hand are considering helping out some of the poorest countries, where they can.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:19:12 PM by AlbionFan »
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #340 on: March 17, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »
Boris completely wiped out the independent and events sector last night...

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2020, 04:15:40 PM »
Boris completely wiped out the independent and events sector last night...

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

The impact of this and the recovery from it will take years and Boris will get the blame from some regardless of how he handles it.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #342 on: March 17, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »
The number of people who do think this actually happened is growing.  :o

I'm sure that, in time, the actual source will be identified.

But what does trouble me about China's role in all of this, is how they deliberate withheld and delayed advising the rest of the global community of the outbreak.

China had 266 victims who had contracted the virus, the earliest case being recorded on 17th November and in those early weeks they covered it up.

This was valuable time that was denied to the rest of the world, time that would have allowed us to prepare. It undoubtedly, disadvantaged us and, who knows, how many lives may have been spared had they been open, honest and transparent immediately.

The Russians did the same with Chernobyl. Disgraceful international behaviour of the highest order from both countries
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #343 on: March 17, 2020, 04:17:49 PM »

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

The impact of this and the recovery from it will take years and Boris will get the blame from some regardless of how he handles it.

I agree and I think my strap line sums it up quiet nicely for you
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #344 on: March 17, 2020, 04:27:45 PM »
I agree and I think my strap line sums it up quiet nicely for you

It does indeed!

Out of interest, would anyone else take Covid-19 now if they could?

Despite one case of someone supposedly catching it twice, who they think had probably just not recovered, the professionals seem fairly confident it will act like most diseases of this type and you'll have immunity afterwards.

I'm relatively young and healthy and probably very low risk. So if they could come to my house and give it to me, on the basis i then didn't leave for 3 weeks, I honestly think i would take it.  After 3 weeks I could then be 'signed off' as allowed back in to society as relatively low risk of being a carrier.

Obviously this wouldnt be for everyone, but it would help get the levels towards the required levels for herd immunity and help the economy.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #345 on: March 17, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
Visualizing the History of Pandemics

Interesting to see a graphic of the size of the various pandemics humans have faced.

Source: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
Today’s coronavirus press conference will be taking place in around 15 minutes.  BBC One
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #347 on: March 17, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
The EU have also imposed a ban on all 27 member states exporting medical equipment and supplies to none EU countries. The UK on the other hand are considering helping out some of the poorest countries, where they can.

The EU has stopped export out of the bloc to ensure there's enough equipment for where they need it.  You may not have noticed it but Europe is the epicenter now.

Also, what equipment are we considering selling?  I've not seen any articles on that?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #348 on: March 17, 2020, 05:13:23 PM »
The EU has stopped export out of the bloc to ensure there's enough equipment for where they need it.  You may not have noticed it but Europe is the epicenter now.

Also, what equipment are we considering selling?  I've not seen any articles on that?

Well it's a pity the EU didn't help Italy, who had to rely on China for supplies
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #349 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:09 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "the EU" here.  What stops individual countries from helping?