Author Topic: Anything England Football  (Read 779300 times)

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Anything England Football
« Reply #2625 on: October 06, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
Southgate  "England won't become Spain in 8 months"..😂😂😂😂 just knock the 8 months off that statement...

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2626 on: October 06, 2017, 09:06:57 PM »
The problem with England is we are now obsessed with trying to play possession football like Spain because we think that's the way to progress. Rubbish. The players are used to the quick tempo of the Premier League we should not be playing football at a snail's pace we should be direct with the likes of Sterling, Rashford and Ali running at defenders. Not convinced by Southgate.
the regime don't like it man

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2627 on: October 06, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »
The problem with England is we are now obsessed with trying to play possession football like Spain because we think that's the way to progress. Rubbish. The players are used to the quick tempo of the Premier League we should not be playing football at a snail's pace we should be direct with the likes of Sterling, Rashford and Ali running at defenders. Not convinced by Southgate.

Been saying this for years fella

We try and adopt a continental approach that European teams have honed over the years whereas we look better playing 100mph football I call it

I don’t get why we’re trying to play teams at their own game when we have our own which is massively effective. It’s the reason we dont compete at European level in club football anymore either we’ve lost our identity

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2628 on: October 06, 2017, 10:26:58 PM »
Been saying this for years fella

We try and adopt a continental approach that European teams have honed over the years whereas we look better playing 100mph football I call it

I don’t get why we’re trying to play teams at their own game when we have our own which is massively effective. It’s the reason we dont compete at European level in club football anymore either we’ve lost our identity

Agree, growing up we were meant to mimic the Italians, then the Dutch, then the Spaniards and now it's the Germans whose models we try and mimic. In the meantime, football continues to evolve and change and by the time you've adopted their system, which takes years to replicate, the game has moved on and you're back to square one.

There's nothing wrong with English footballers, we've produced Champions League winners for years - we just need the right coach which seems an impossibility with the FA's appointments down the years.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2629 on: October 06, 2017, 10:48:06 PM »
This is why I don't really blame Roy for the England failures. He was managing to the FA blueprint. I wished Big Sam was still in charge as he's not a yes man and would have played to the team's strengths. He's also very clued up about the mental side of things and I think he would have sorted us out at the World Cup.
the regime don't like it man

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2630 on: October 07, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »
Are you being serious? That's the same as we play rubbish!

Watched the Northern Ireland V Germany game as it was live on German Tv (had a few days in Berlin). Couldn't believe how similar N.I. are to ourselves, sideways; backwards passing followed by a launched long ball which inevitable gives possession back to the opposition.
 Brunt played okay at left back, McAuley also okay, Evans was mostly good but made a massive error for the 3rd German goal just a headed "clearance" that went across goal straight to the back post for Kimmich to volley in, not sure what he was trying to do.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2631 on: October 07, 2017, 12:59:41 PM »
Watched the Northern Ireland V Germany game as it was live on German Tv (had a few days in Berlin). Couldn't believe how similar N.I. are to ourselves, sideways; backwards passing followed by a launched long ball which inevitable gives possession back to the opposition.
 Brunt played okay at left back, McAuley also okay, Evans was mostly good but made a massive error for the 3rd German goal just a headed "clearance" that went across goal straight to the back post for Kimmich to volley in, not sure what he was trying to do.

Think he panicked and tried to get a head on it in the hope their packed defence would be able to clear the second ball.

Didn't happen though.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2632 on: October 07, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
So many deep-rooted problems with England.  I’ll name a few.

1. Youth team coaches overall are poor.  So these kids are brought up as athletes playing the long ball, instead of an emphasis on skill such as Brazil/Spain.
2. Playing in club teams full of foreigners who are better players.  Therefore brutally exposed in an England shirt.
3. Are generally less bright than European counterparts so cannot think on their feet during games and switch tactically.
4. Do not play abroad as a footballing finishing school therefore are not well rounded footballers.
5. Overpaid lazy can’t think on their feet so crumble in a pressure situation.
6. Always a clique present so players from lesser clubs are treated with a lack of respect.
7. Managers are generally yes men and lack a ruthless edge with selection.
8. Fans overhype the players making them believe they’re better than they are. 

Until the FA stand up and be counted then nothing will change.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2633 on: October 07, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »

1. Youth team coaches overall are poor.  So these kids are brought up as athletes playing the long ball, instead of an emphasis on skill such as Brazil/Spain.
2. Playing in club teams full of foreigners who are better players.  Therefore brutally exposed in an England shirt.
3. Are generally less bright than European counterparts so cannot think on their feet during games and switch tactically.
4. Do not play abroad as a footballing finishing school therefore are not well rounded footballers.
6. Always a clique present so players from lesser clubs are treated with a lack of respect.

Wasn’t Dan the Man recruited to iron out these problems?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2634 on: October 07, 2017, 10:00:10 PM »

Didn't the U19's win the European Championships and the U20's the World Cup this year? Seems like the youth players are doing okay.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2635 on: October 08, 2017, 12:21:07 AM »
Didn't the U19's win the European Championships and the U20's the World Cup this year? Seems like the youth players are doing okay.

That’s what I thought  ???

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2636 on: October 08, 2017, 09:46:21 AM »
That’s what I thought  ???

Ok fair enough credit where it’s due.  What about the other 7 statements.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2637 on: October 08, 2017, 10:11:58 AM »

Yes but it is a huge jump to senior football. The athleticism which we generally select will win games at a younger age against youngsters who aren't that robust but are better technically. When those technical players develop more physically they overtake the athletes generally.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2638 on: October 08, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »

From a personal perspective I think it's the media who over hype the players. You only have to read forums such as this to realise that many supporters don't buy into it.

As for players thinking they're better than they are again look to the press, the TV companies and arguably under developed emotional intelligence.

I've read a lot about our youth set up (more local level). There seems to be an increasing emphasis on giving young players a more grounded approach to life. Hopefully this approach will reap it's own rewards in the long term.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2639 on: October 08, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »
Settling down to watch Spurs play Lithuania

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2640 on: October 08, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
And just to complete the Spurs show..Doddle is commentating...yawnnnnnnn

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2641 on: October 08, 2017, 06:39:07 PM »
Southgate said England don't have any big players. Sounds a little crazy, but could we not use half a dozen "top" players and make up the rest from lower teams like in the Championship? Some games call for passion rather than skill. As we know, that's what the lower leagues are all about.

England are just plain dull, surely if we had lower players it would shake the whole system up a bit and make the games more exciting. I still don't quite know why I watch England play.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2642 on: October 08, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »
Southgate said England don't have any big players. Sounds a little crazy, but could we not use half a dozen "top" players and make up the rest from lower teams like in the Championship? Some games call for passion rather than skill. As we know, that's what the lower leagues are all about.

England are just plain dull, surely if we had lower players it would shake the whole system up a bit and make the games more exciting. I still don't quite know why I watch England play.

I'm sure a lot of the England players think they are big time!. Do you think they don't respect Southgate as a coach. Nice guy says all the right things at the right time but is he the man to take England forward.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2643 on: October 08, 2017, 07:08:30 PM »
 I always look forward to an England game.
Why do they always disappoint?
Its excruciating to watch,remind you of anyone?

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2644 on: October 08, 2017, 07:58:54 PM »
I always look forward to an England game.
Why do they always disappoint?
Its excruciating to watch,remind you of anyone?

But England had lots of possession, it therefor must be great to watch. :-X
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2645 on: October 08, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »
But England had lots of possession, it therefor must be great to watch. :-X

Southgate for Albion? That's the sort of manager we'd be looking st if TP resigned.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2646 on: October 08, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
Ok fair enough credit where it’s due.  What about the other 7 statements.

7 & 8 you have a point

The other 5 statements are personal opinion and not something I agree with to be fair

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2647 on: October 28, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »
will we take our 2017 world cup winners into the national full side
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2648 on: October 28, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
will we take our 2017 world cup winners into the national full side