Author Topic: Michael Appleton  (Read 52892 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Michael Appleton
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
I've already stated where it's gone wrong. My point is this is a nothing appointment which could cause more harm than good, oh sarcastic one.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2019, 03:51:27 PM »
Appy with this in the short term, given the cock ups, but there can only be one, Jokanovic!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »
There's your management line up for next season

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »
Good luck and welcome back Apps!

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »
He's here for a few games guys, to help out. Relax.

It's at the end of the season you want to all start getting your knickers in a knot when it comes to appointing our new head coach. Now that DOES fill me with dread.

Appy helping out Shan - Meh!

Darren Moore and James Shan thought they were here for the short term as well.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
Good luck Appy! COYB

hansjodin

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »
Welcome back Appy!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #182 on: April 26, 2019, 11:47:51 PM »
I know an ex cage-fighter, from Manchester, who is good friends with Appy. He reckons he knows his way around a ring. He’s got my backing. ;D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2019, 08:04:36 AM »
I have never quite understood the antipathy felt by some members of this board toward Appleton but I am perfectly happy with him coming to help out across the next 5 games. I wouldn't be adverse to having back at the club on a full time  basis but that is a discussion for another day.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
For anyone how hasn’t read it, the article in the link below is an interesting insight into Appy and is well worth a read

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-short-leicester-city-oxford-united-portsmouth-fc-blackpool-blakburn-rovers-west-brom/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
Christ, more alumni and this one definitely has more experience than Shan, so the next question is who is actually in charge?

This club is almost criminally small time. Sacking Moore only to end up with this shambles is beyond the pale.

NEXT PERMANENT MANAGER MUST NOT HAVE PLAYED OR COACHED AT THE CLUB PREVIOUSLY.

THIS entirely. We are embarrassing, Jenkins. And YOU are embarrassing us.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

kendo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »
The more you read about the Albion. WHAT A JOKE CLUB WE ARE. good job when its all over. We wont have to bother next season, hardly have a team to worry about.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2019, 11:06:59 AM »
Appy with this in the short term, given the cock ups, but there can only be one, Jokanovic!

I think Jokanovic was already the number one choice to succeed Moore, the club i feel sacked Moore hoping to implement Jokanovic in time for the next game...until he mentioned money.
A quick back pedal, let's see what Wagner thinks. Wagner said he wanted a bit of time out of the game, which translates as don't call me i'll call you.
Oh poo thought the club, Alex Neil is doing well at Preston let's sound him out.
Neil hears we are interested, runs to the Preston chairman and says' quick give me a three year deal for thse tight arses come calling.
The club then announce Shan until the end of the season.
Oh hang on thinks Jenkins, didn't Appleton say he wanted the job when Moore was sacked.
There you go then, welcome back to the club Appy...our number one target all along.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2019, 07:57:18 PM »
keep reading fans happy if appy gets the job, god we really would scrape the barrel and deserve to stay down the blokes done nothing would just be another mistake like big dave was...fans and club need to learn
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:31:27 PM by OldburyWBA »

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2019, 08:16:11 PM »
It always pisses me off to read posts like this one.  What’s he done?  He’s rolled up his sleeves and done the hard work at some basket case clubs. He did very well at Oxford. He was an assistant at Leicester.  He will have learned every step of the way.

What had Chris Wilder done before he got the job at Blades? David Wagner at Huddersfield? Daniel Fackhe at Norwich? Dean Smith before he joined Villa? 

It is of no interest to me that Appleton spent time here. The only thing that matters is whether he is right for the job.  He’s not my first choice, but he’d be in my top 5. He is young, hungry, experienced and highly regarded in the game. He wants the job. He is ideal for the job if we are in the Championship next season.  He is far less ideal if we go up.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2019, 08:33:54 PM »
It always pisses me off to read posts like this one.  What’s he done?  He’s rolled up his sleeves and done the hard work at some basket case clubs. He did very well at Oxford. He was an assistant at Leicester.  He will have learned every step of the way.

What had Chris Wilder done before he got the job at Blades? David Wagner at Huddersfield? Daniel Fackhe at Norwich? Dean Smith before he joined Villa? 

It is of no interest to me that Appleton spent time here. The only thing that matters is whether he is right for the job.  He’s not my first choice, but he’d be in my top 5. He is young, hungry, experienced and highly regarded in the game. He wants the job. He is ideal for the job if we are in the Championship next season.  He is far less ideal if we go up.

And it always pisses me off reading posts like this. He would not be on the radar of either us fans or the club hierarchy were it not for his links to WBA and people working at the club. He wouldn't be on the radar of any other club who had spent 8 of the last 9 years in the Premier League. Everytime he's managed in the Championship he's been relegated or sacked. His tenures include 65 days at Blackpool and 67 days at Blackburn (where concerningly he worked with Dowling - jobs for the boys?). His Championship win percentage is incredibly low: low 20s.

How anyone can consider this a decent or in your words ideal candidate I have no idea.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2019, 08:39:05 PM »

Chris Wilder did well at both Oxford and Northampton before he went to Sheffield United and the other two both did decent jobs at Borussia Dortmund reserves.

I do feel the same about Appleton, after his brief stays at a couple of clubs which both seemed to be a poisoned chalice he seemed to get himself a reputation at Oxford and then got some good experience at Leicester. I think the concern for many, me included is that its a cheap option and if not for the Albion connection like Derek McInnes would he ever be mentioned as a possible manager at The Hawthorns and to be honest I don't think he would, he seems to have gone from maybe becoming manager at Hibs to being a runner and rider at QPR to now being expected by many, me included again to be our next permanent manager.

If we don't go up then he should be considered along with any other applicant or anyone we are interested in but not given the job because he used to play for us and has a connection to the club. If he is the best applicant then give him the job but sound out others as well.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2019, 09:08:06 PM »
I'm pretty ambivalent about this, why? I still believe that the club are waiting for Wagner to be available following his gardening leave.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2019, 09:11:41 PM »
I'm pretty ambivalent about this, why? I still believe that the club are waiting for Wagner to be available following his gardening leave.

Not seen anything from Wagner other than he works on a shoestring to suggest he is anything special. The next manager we appoint really concerns me as I get the impression cost will be more important than quality of the person, not suggesting we blow a fortune on someone by any means but if we have to pay a little bit more for the right man then I hope we do that rather than settle for second best.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »
Not seen anything from Wagner other than he works on a shoestring to suggest he is anything special. The next manager we appoint really concerns me as I get the impression cost will be more important than quality of the person, not suggesting we blow a fortune on someone by any means but if we have to pay a little bit more for the right man then I hope we do that rather than settle for second best.
I have a niggling feeling that next season
Prem AVB
champ. monk
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2019, 09:46:20 PM »
I have a niggling feeling that next season
Prem AVB
champ. monk

You need to see a doctor and get that niggle sorted  :D

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2019, 10:16:31 PM »
You need to see a doctor and get that niggle sorted  :D
You don't see it then 😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
Can we please bury the phrase "cheap option". We spent an absolute fortune on Pardew I am not sure how we could have made a worse or more expensive appointment. The amount of money we are prepared to lavish on the Head Coach has very little to do with the quality of the appointment. The only value is that somehow fans feel better about the club spending a bunch of money on a coach.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2019, 11:18:09 PM »
Can we please bury the phrase "cheap option". We spent an absolute fortune on Pardew I am not sure how we could have made a worse or more expensive appointment. The amount of money we are prepared to lavish on the Head Coach has very little to do with the quality of the appointment. The only value is that somehow fans feel better about the club spending a bunch of money on a coach.

Have to say, I have some sympathy with this argument.

It really depends on what DNA the football club wants to adopt next season.

A coaching team of Appleton, Reid & Shan would represent evolution & be relatively inexpensive, on the other hand Jokanovic or someone similar would probably mean revolution & be very expensive.

Neither option gives a guarantee of success.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2019, 08:02:58 AM »
I like the model of promoting from within as long as you make sure somebody is there and ready to step in. If they want that to be our strategy then just come out and say it so everytime there is a vacancy you know that is what will happen and it manages expectations.

Personally I think Jimmy Shan has done a fantastic job. 19 points from 9 games. Automatic promotion form whilst we haven't needed to really go out and win a game during his tenure and whilst resting players. It also isn't his squad.