Author Topic: Steve Bruce - Manager - SACKED  (Read 422500 times)

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

Re: Steve Bruce - Manager
« Reply #1050 on: April 03, 2022, 08:15:07 PM »
Repeating the same mistakes after we sold Robson and Moses. Never replaced them with quality and then gradually disappeared into to football abyss. These players should be ashamed but I guess their not too bothered. They have nice fat contracts. Bruce was never the right appointment but frankly I don't think Klopp could get a tune out of this utter dross. I'm very worried about next season

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: April 03, 2022, 08:36:40 PM »
On the one hand Bruce can't be blamed for not playing players he hasn't got nor should we be entirely surprised when the same imbalances in the squad confound him as they have done a number of his predecessors.

However this is bad this isn't just a question of not making the play-offs but this is relegation form (and performances Fulham aside) . As a club we have been desperate for some continuity on the coaching staff for years but to do that the current incumbent has to have some credibility and frankly Bruce hasn't.

Many years ago I went to Wigan away when Bruce was their manager i remember thinking to myself halfway through the first half how rubbish Wigan were , they had no style of play it was just kick and rush and  the ball was mostly in the air. Today took me back to that game only today it was us who were rubbish.  I totally get that the players are weak willed and mentally shot but from a coaching perspective he should hang his head in shame at that performance.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1052 on: April 03, 2022, 08:41:31 PM »
Steve Bruce described West Brom's 1-0 defeat to Birmingham today as "the worst game of football I've ever seen".

Great, and if it were a one off you could chuckle at that comment, but sadly it’s been the norm, with the Fulham game proving to be the exception

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1053 on: April 03, 2022, 08:49:27 PM »
Steve Bruce described West Brom's 1-0 defeat to Birmingham today as "the worst game of football I've ever seen".

Great, and if it were a one off you could chuckle at that comment, but sadly it’s been the norm, with the Fulham game proving to be the exception

But he will still select from the same small group of mostly abject failures.

Astle1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1054 on: April 03, 2022, 08:53:03 PM »
I'm amazed there would even be a debate as to wether Bruce should stay or not. He's done absolutely nothing here, or in general over the last 5 years to show he should be anywhere near our dugout next season.

When some managers come in, I'm willing to give them time depending on what they are trying to achieve. For example, you can have your opinions on Ismael, but it's clear he had a plan and style he was trying to implement. I have absolutely no idea what Bruce is trying to do with us. As a side are we defensive, attacking, counter attacking, possession based, high tempo... I genuinely don't have a clue.

Theres much bigger problems than Bruce at the club as we all know, however that doesn't mean he shouldn't still be gone in the summer regardless. The worry is when we desperately need someone to put a broom through the club, Gourlays first decision was to appoint Bruce without even considering another candidate which probably means he will be here in August.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1055 on: April 03, 2022, 08:58:56 PM »
Feel sorry for him as the players were clearly shot from the Ismael tenure. Bruce doesn’t deserve a go next season though based on the form, 2 wins from 10 is abysmal

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1056 on: April 03, 2022, 08:59:49 PM »
A major problem is that Gourlay has done nothing yet to suggest that he himself is fit for purpose.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1057 on: April 03, 2022, 09:00:00 PM »
He was brought in with Gourlay declaring the reason we hired him was to hit the ground running and get results straight away....Hasn't happened. Nice handshake and take your friends with you....
The worrying thing for me about the whole club at present is the apathy. I think Elvis Costello sang "I'm not angry, I just don't care"....Thats honestly how i feel. I love Albion went home and away and still follow every game and watch here in Canada. Today I had an event this morning and when I checked the score and we had lost I just thought "I totally expected that"...I wasn't even that bothered.

Wollastonbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1058 on: April 03, 2022, 10:32:09 PM »
But he will still select from the same small group of mostly abject failures.

And just what group of players would you like him to select from-Liverpool's squad or Man City's. The team Bruce picked today was as good as he could pick from what he has available. Anychanges would have amounted to no more than "re-arranging the deck chairs" The SS West Bromwich Albion is going down with all hands!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1059 on: April 03, 2022, 10:54:03 PM »
No problem with his team selection today. I'd argue a case for OShea starting but no one ever agrees on everything. Overall it was fine.

His subs though ..... ??

As soon as I saw the great Grady coming on I nearly cried. He did what he always does jack xxxx.

He took Townsend off to put Clarke at left back which was a bit odd.

And Robinson somehow managed to stay on the pitch a full 98 mins despite offering as much as the great Grady 

Admittedly you look at Bruce's options and it doesn't add up to much but still, not great

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1060 on: April 03, 2022, 10:56:57 PM »
Is that his 10 th game in charge? Believe it’s Two wins three draws and five defeats since he’s been here.

Worse run of results over ten games, even Val at his lowest moments did better. Just goes to show that all the geniuses on here who demanded we change manager mid-season (again) were wrong (again). Our club is finished as we know it in respect of being a bottom six premiership / top six championship side. We are now just another mid table championship team (just) who won't be able to compete with the relegated sides next season.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1061 on: April 03, 2022, 11:10:23 PM »
Although I've been less than impressed with Bruce, I think the real issue is with our owners and it's growing more obvious.

Since we've been taken over we've gone backwards and we're now reaching a tipping point. I wasn't a fan of Ismael either, but when you look at the lack of quality in the team it shows. Sure, we could be a good 10 points higher but our team isn't anywhere near close to promotion standards and this quality will get even worse next season with Johnstone et al going and more dross coming in.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1062 on: April 03, 2022, 11:11:37 PM »
I didn't want Bruce before he was appointed and I don't want him now. A football dinosaur and frankly, typical of a Board that is regressive in its approach. We're now officially the worst team in Birmingham.

We are NOT from Birmingham!!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1063 on: April 03, 2022, 11:19:48 PM »
I didn't want Bruce before he was appointed and I don't want him now. A football dinosaur and frankly, typical of a Board that is regressive in its approach. We're now officially the worst team in Birmingham.
Birmingham Black Country more like. The Hawthorns falls entirely into the Black Country Boundary of the Birmingham/Sandwell border. Villa are Birmingham, Birmingham are Birmingham, Solihull are Warwickshire, US and Walsall are Black Country maybe with Dingles but there mostly Staffordshire.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1064 on: April 03, 2022, 11:50:30 PM »
Why anyone thinks we will get worse next season due to the departure of Johnstone is beyond me .

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1065 on: April 03, 2022, 11:50:52 PM »
So his players served up yet another rancid display against the blues seven games to go, what does he have to do to keep himself in the hot seat for next season? I’d be happy if he benched half the squad and gave the under 23s a chance I mean they couldn’t do any worse but I don’t think Bruce has the bolo for such a-drastic action. So the only way he gets my vote to stay on is getting us into playoffs, he basically needs to win every game which let’s be fair ain’t happening 2 wins in ten games.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 11:54:40 PM by paulosull »

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1066 on: April 04, 2022, 01:18:34 AM »
Probably need to move on, that was awful. I think Newcastle finished him and we should part ways before he finishes us.

Orlando Astle

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1067 on: April 04, 2022, 01:29:43 AM »
We are NOT from Birmingham!!
B71 4LF post code suggests otherwise.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1068 on: April 04, 2022, 02:26:30 AM »

Post codes mean nothing. West Bromwich is not in Birmingham.

If you know anything about this area then Kidderminster is 13 miles from Dudley yet has the same DY postcode, its not even in the same county.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1069 on: April 04, 2022, 06:55:26 AM »
I'm more upset about being considered a 'Birmingham' club than I am about the apalling situation we're now in following the years of embarrasing decline since the disastrous Pulis appointment.

Blowee

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1070 on: April 04, 2022, 07:24:10 AM »
I just don’t know where we go from here. After a terrible performance SB admits we have actually been worse in other games since he took over. He knows we have the same squad for the next couple of seasons. It doesn’t fill you full of confidence that he or any other manager can change anything.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1071 on: April 04, 2022, 07:31:02 AM »

Is Tamworth in Birmingham then? Is Redditch? A post code is just a post code, whatever you think it may 'suggest'.
Allllllll aboard

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1072 on: April 04, 2022, 07:32:43 AM »
Back to Bruce. While he has failed massively I still think I'd like to keep him on, give him a summer and see what he can do. I just don't see anyone else getting a tune out of us.
Allllllll aboard

bangkokbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1073 on: April 04, 2022, 09:08:59 AM »
And just what group of players would you like him to select from-Liverpool's squad or Man City's. The team Bruce picked today was as good as he could pick from what he has available. Anychanges would have amounted to no more than "re-arranging the deck chairs" The SS West Bromwich Albion is going down with all hands!

He could start by picking some players from the second string that presently don't get a look-in. Even if some of them are not quite ready they surely would be more committed than this current lot. In our situation now where play-offs seem remote, there is little risk in giving some academy players an opportunity otherwise why bother having an academy set-up if so few break through into the first team or get an opportunity. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1074 on: April 04, 2022, 09:22:31 AM »
He could start by picking some players from the second string that presently don't get a look-in. Even if some of them are not quite ready they surely would be more committed than this current lot. In our situation now where play-offs seem remote, there is little risk in giving some academy players an opportunity otherwise why bother having an academy set-up if so few break through into the first team or get an opportunity.

1000%, should have happened before now, this season has been dead for at least 2 games, Titanic and band playing, springs to mind
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!