Author Topic: RIP Ray Wilkins  (Read 5401 times)

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

RIP Ray Wilkins
« on: March 31, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
Fighting for his life apparently after having a heart attack and hitting his head and is now in a coma.

Here's hoping he pulls through
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:41:49 PM by OldburyWBA »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Re: Ray Wilkins
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
Wow, I know he's not the most popular of guys but that's come as a shock. Was only listening to him on the radio the other day.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 11:05:59 AM »
good luck to him in his battle
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
good luck to him in his battle
Agreed, it's not sounding good unfortunately, thoughts are with him & his family.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
Wow, I know he's not the most popular of guys but that's come as a shock. Was only listening to him on the radio the other day.
My wife told me about him this morning, the first thing I said was I was only listening to him on the radio on Wednesday, good luck and I hope you get better soon.

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 12:24:24 PM »
My wife told me about him this morning, the first thing I said was I was only listening to him on the radio on Wednesday, good luck and I hope you get better soon.

I know he was nicknamed 'the Crab' , however, he was one of the first truly defensive midfielders, played for England, Chelsea and I believe Milan, can't remember which one - keep fighting mate! My thoughts and many others are with you.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 02:22:02 PM »
On msn just Ray Wilkins has died of Cardiac arrest Didn't know him as a Player I'm too young only 14 but RIP thoughts are with his family and Friends will also provide link to article on Internet for those who didn't know Him such as myself and younger members of this forum.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-5577773/Ray-Wilkins-dies-aged-61-hospital-suffering-heart-attack.html?ITO=1490
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:27:23 PM by BaggieBoy04 »
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
Very sad news about 'Butch'

RIP Ray
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »
Lovely man  ..RIP..

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »
Sad news. He was undoubtedly one of the best UK coaches in recent times. R.I.P.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
Very sad RIP Butch

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
He came over as an absolute gent RIP

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
Tragic really.

Seemed to absolutely love the game we all do/did. Really nice bloke by all accounts.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
R.I.P. Ray Wilkins
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »
This thread should be renamed RIP Ray Wilkins after yesterdays Tragic News

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: RIP Ray Wilkins
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 04:43:55 PM »
Nice story about him from Nigel Quashie

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-quashie-shares-ray-wilkins-14493232

Former footballer Nigel Quashie has paid an emotional tribute to the late Ray Wilkins, who passed away on Wednesday morning.

Quashie, who had spells at Birmingham City, West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers during his playing career spanning 20 years, worked with the former Chelsea and England midfielder at Queens Park Rangers.

In fact it was Wilkins, then manager at Loftus Road, that handed Quashie his professional debut against Manchester United, even though he was only a trainee at the time.

The Hoops visited Old Trafford shortly after Christmas in 1995, and young Quashie headed with the senior side to help oversee the distribution of kit.

Wilkins, the Scottish midfielder reveals, tapped him on the shoulder, gave him a shirt and a pair of boots of his own and informed Quashie that he’d be starting for Rangers at the Theatre of Dreams.

Wilkins’ untimely passing, at the age of just 61, prompted Quashie to revisit the touching story and has thanked the ex-Manchester United man for the impact he had on his career.

“I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even meet you,” Quashie said, via his Instagram page.

“If it wasn’t for you I would never have started my career playing football and will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first team squad.

1hr 30 mins before kick off you name the team and I was in it and that’s how my debut went, I didn’t even get to think about it because all you said was your number 18, here are your boots and shin pads, just go and play, have fun and treat it like your over the park with your mates.

“My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn’t afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone.

“I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her, you said use my mobile and call this number, it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus.

“I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn’t afford it.

“She told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then told me Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life during the week and he wanted to surprise me knowing I was making my debut.

“I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins one of the legends of the game and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change.

“You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class.

“Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins.”
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 04:47:44 PM »
RIP Ray, He's assembling some team up there.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:48 PM »
Lets Think Laurie Cunningham, Cyrille Regis, Jeff, Wilkins, Bobby Moore, Astoria, Mathews, Armfeild anyone else Heaven Probably has the Best Team in The World Managed by Graham Taylor.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 10:34:42 PM »
Lets Think Laurie Cunningham, Cyrille Regis, Jeff, Wilkins, Bobby Moore, Astoria, Mathews, Armfeild anyone else Heaven Probably has the Best Team in The World Managed by Graham Taylor.
George Best Duncan Edwards Billy Bremner there is loads!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 03:37:21 PM »
Forgot about George Best and Duncan Edwards not aware of Billy Bremmer  Can Just image Cyrille and Jeff Playing Upfront God Probably has quite a Few Teams up there in heaven.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
Forgot about George Best and Duncan Edwards not aware of Billy Bremmer  Can Just image Cyrille and Jeff Playing Upfront God Probably has quite a Few Teams up there in heaven.
Billy Brenner played for Leeds and was a  Scottish international midfielder great hard player, played along side  Johnny Giles.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 09:23:59 PM »
Think I have heard him As there is a Leeds fan at School and looking around think I heard of him now you mention Leeds

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 12:35:13 PM »
Think I have heard him As there is a Leeds fan at School and looking around think I heard of him now you mention Leeds

Loved a tackle  ;D

As did most in the Revie managed Leeds side...