Author Topic: 21st April 2002 We are back where we belong!!.  (Read 5258 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

21st April 2002 We are back where we belong!!.
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:22:07 PM »
Today 15yrs ago we had just got promoted back to the top division where we belong, what a day and the cherry on the top was beating Wolves to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAg5GDPPjsQ

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: 21st April 2002 We are back where we belong!!.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »
its a beautiful day. never seen so much colour in the shrine.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »
I will never forget the sight after the game walking towards the motorway Island just flags everywhere, the Liquidator being played on car stereos, the smiling faces on everyone, people loffing about the dingles.

In all my 50 odd years of supporting this great club that day is in my top 5 greatest days.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

lickey baggies

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »
Wow just watched the you tube video again . Great day that shouldn't be forgotten. It as the start of the rebirth of our club and we have continued to improve every year since then . come on you baggies !

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
Fantastic video which has brightened up my morning.  Is there more video of the celebrations after anywhere? As I recall they were glorious.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »
That was a great day.  One of the best.

Two goals from set pieces though, they shouldn't count. :)

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
Fantastic video which has brightened up my morning.  Is there more video of the celebrations after anywhere? As I recall they were glorious.

Look on you tube a few on there.

Slimbo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
I cried when super bob scored - my kids asked if I was ok - I said yes sons we are off to the promised land. What a day
I drink to forget but I don't forget to drink

Norfolk Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »
Look on you tube a few on there.

Thanks found some really good videos.  Taylor, Big Dave and Russell Hoult. Legends

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
What a day that was and what a memory. I do look back with sadness aswell because we know we will never experience days like that again. Unless we win the fa cup. Even if we got relegated and came back up it would never be the same because we know what we're coming up to, we didn't back then. It was the promised land then now it's a pain in the backside land.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »
What a day that was and what a memory. I do look back with sadness aswell because we know we will never experience days like that again. Unless we win the fa cup. Even if we got relegated and came back up it would never be the same because we know what we're coming up to, we didn't back then. It was the promised land then now it's a pain in the backside land.

Perfect summing up there. I agree with every word. It was one of the best days of my life but looking back it was the beginning of the end in some ways.

pauly414

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Perfect summing up there. I agree with every word. It was one of the best days of my life but looking back it was the beginning of the end in some ways.

Spot on with that mate.

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 05:10:41 PM »
what a wonderful day it was, feeling emotional watching that video back, remembering saying before the game that it will be Super Bob who will get us promoted, just had to be him didn't it infront of the home supporters.

That team really wasn't that great but every single of them made you proud to be a baggie. I know Megson has his haters but he was incredible at the time.

The games against Forest away and Bradford away were great moments aswell
Baggie Terra

AshD

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 07:22:39 AM »
what a wonderful day it was, feeling emotional watching that video back, remembering saying before the game that it will be Super Bob who will get us promoted, just had to be him didn't it infront of the home supporters.

That team really wasn't that great but every single of them made you proud to be a baggie. I know Megson has his haters but he was incredible at the time.

The games against Forest away and Bradford away were great moments aswell

And he really shouldn't have!!!

Whether he was a particularly nice bloke is questionable to say the least, but this man dragged us from going into League One (and who knows from there, as the club was in a mess) to being promoted within a couple of seasons. Everything we are achieving now - he is a big reason for it!

That first promotion season produced that many memories that will live forever...and as you state above, there were no superstars but every one of them gave their all for the club!

The man is a hero in my opinion...and we, as a club, should always be thankful to him!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
Some excellent memories.

One of my favourite days as an Albion supporter along with the 2-0 win over Charlton to stay up during GM's first season, Bradford City (wish I could have been there-bloody over time to help pay for the then young 'un  >:( ) and the drama of the 'Great Escape'.

All praise Sir Gary, the players and some truly exceptional support both home and away during those days  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
In all honesty i never thought we would ever play in the top flight again. I thought we had fallen too far.
To get back to the promised land at the expense of the dingles was the icing on the cake.
In the March they were talking about champions league again.
They gave us no end of stick after they were taken over by money, but in the end none of it really mattered.The cream always rises to the top.
My only regrets is that my dad, a fervent Baggie, as was his dad, and Jeff Astle never lived to see it before they died.
Dad died in 1998 and Jeff missed it by just a matter of weeks.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
A great day indeed! I was sat on the front row of the East Stand with my dad, level with the pen box by the Smethwick. I remember the tannoy announcer saying not to go on the pitch after the whistle, but then as they were saying it, the stewards began lowering the boards to make sure there were no accidents when everyone ran on!

I remember looking down the line and seeing fans almost on the pitch by the Brummie as the final whistle went. What a memory! I seem to remember the ref calling the linesman over to run towards the tunnel before blowing the whistle.

After we got on the pitch, I collected a few blades of grass from the centre circle and framed it! And you're right, pipping Wolves was ultimate.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:43 PM »
In all honesty i never thought we would ever play in the top flight again. I thought we had fallen too far.
To get back to the promised land at the expense of the dingles was the icing on the cake.
In the March they were talking about champions league again.
They gave us no end of stick after they were taken over by money, but in the end none of it really mattered.The cream always rises to the top.
My only regrets is that my dad, a fervent Baggie, as was his dad, and Jeff Astle never lived to see it before they died.
Dad died in 1998 and Jeff missed it by just a matter of weeks.

This really touched me, so thanks for sharing.

I wasn't getting down to the Hawthorns much at all at the time, up in Lancashire and gigging most weekends... but a really good mate and I watched that match against Palace in a local pub and he went as mental as I did (and him a Blackpool supporter). Golden times.

The longer we live the more golden times we can expect. Not so many years ago Man City were $#17E. So many people say this is the best we will be. Laugh if you like but I don't believe that for one minute.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music