Author Topic: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester  (Read 425575 times)

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

Re: Official: Jonny Evans joins Leicester
« Reply #500 on: August 19, 2016, 12:58:58 PM »
Easily our best player, no one wants him to leave but if Arsenal bid crazy money you can see the board accepting it (if Evans wants out). Although after the Saido saga I think it will take a lot to get him. The question is does Evans want to go?

Chasing the title and Champions League or a relegation battle? It might take him a while to decide.  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #501 on: August 19, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »
If Evans goes I think it shows that we have no real ambition.
We might as well get Mowbray in and yo yo between the Championship and the Prem every year.
At least the fans were onside, there were more of them, it was exciting, the football was better, we gave the big boys an occasional bloody nose, and we had something to shout about every other year.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #502 on: August 19, 2016, 01:25:52 PM »
Selling Evans, particularly having just sold Chester, would be gross negligence on our part.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #503 on: August 19, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
If Evans goes I think it shows that we have no real ambition.
We might as well get Mowbray in and yo yo between the Championship and the Prem every year.
At least the fans were onside, there were more of them, it was exciting, the football was better, we gave the big boys an occasional bloody nose, and we had something to shout about every other year.

i thinks hes lost his mojo.

selling evans would be dangerous, Caulker replacing him?
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

pennington

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #504 on: August 19, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »
Just watched Tony on youtube and I'll have to watch again because I didn't see anywhere that he wanted or was even happy to sell Jonny ::).

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #505 on: August 19, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »
Just watched Tony on youtube and I'll have to watch again because I didn't see anywhere that he wanted or was even happy to sell Jonny ::).

Was just about to say the same thing. Strange thing perception.

Nobody seems to have picked up on the fact he said he was more confident that we would get players in this week than last.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:49:17 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #506 on: August 19, 2016, 01:52:47 PM »
Was just about to say the same thing. Strange thing perception.

Nobody seems to have picked up on the fact he said he was more confident that we would get players in this week than last.

Grasp the most tenuous stick and use it to beat Pulis or the club with - supporting Albion 101.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #507 on: August 19, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
I don't think anyone's claimed that he said he would be happy about it. What they said was he didn't categorically say that he's not for sale. Here's a quote: "If Arsenal come in for Jonny, if we do any business we'll do it between the clubs. The most important thing is that Jonny is with us and we want him to stay because he's an outstanding player. Last Saturday, whether it was (Andros) Townsend or (Wilfried) Zaha, and it's not Jonny's favourite position playing as a full-back, he was most probably our best player on the pitch. You don't want to lose your best players, but in football sometimes that happens. If it does happen, you need to make sure you know where your replacements are."

Those words could be interpreted as Pulis almost saying that he thinks Evans will go and it's that inference that I think might have caused people some concern.

Source: Express & Star

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2016/08/19/tony-pulis-says-he-hasnt-received-any-bids-for-jonny-evans/#yRu0MeGtW5RRtvUK.99
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:10:33 PM by WorcsWBA »

pennington

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #508 on: August 19, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »
I don't think anyone's claimed that he said he would be happy about it. What they said was he didn't categorically say that he's not for sale. Here's a quote: "If Arsenal come in for Jonny, if we do any business we'll do it between the clubs. The most important thing is that Jonny is with us and we want him to stay because he's an outstanding player. Last Saturday, whether it was (Andros) Townsend or (Wilfried) Zaha, and it's not Jonny's favourite position playing as a full-back, he was most probably our best player on the pitch. You don't want to lose your best players, but in football sometimes that happens. If it does happen, you need to make sure you know where your replacements are."

Those words could be interpreted as Pulis almost saying that he thinks Evans will go and it's that inference that I think might have caused people some concern.

Source: Express & Star

Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2016/08/19/tony-pulis-says-he-hasnt-received-any-bids-for-jonny-evans/#yRu0MeGtW5RRtvUK.99

And I think he's saying everyones got a price and it could be ANYONE in the club and as HE said it fills newspapers and media  :P

petjob

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #509 on: August 19, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
Pulis must have lost the plot.
Sells Chester, says he may sell Evans, and thinks Rondom may go to Spain.
Not to mention Saido.
Might as well sell the team.
No one should be for sale, we need new players to increase the squad the way Pulis is talking we will need replacements just to stand still.
He can't attract players with his style of play. Bet Steve Bruce could.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #510 on: August 19, 2016, 02:32:57 PM »
Pulis must have lost the plot.
Sells Chester, says he may sell Evans, and thinks Rondom may go to Spain.
Not to mention Saido.
Might as well sell the team.
No one should be for sale, we need new players to increase the squad the way Pulis is talking we will need replacements just to stand still.
He can't attract players with his style of play. Bet Steve Bruce could.
no he didn't, there were so many "ifs" in what he said. Why don't you focus on the bit where he said "the most important thing is that Jonny is with us and we want him to stay"
Phillips has come, Schlupp and Taylor both want to come but their clubs won't allow them to move, so that's 3 players who are willing to come here.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #511 on: August 19, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »
no he didn't, there were so many "ifs" in what he said. Why don't you focus on the bit where he said "the most important thing is that Jonny is with us and we want him to stay"
Phillips has come, Schlupp and Taylor both want to come but their clubs won't allow them to move, so that's 3 players who are willing to come here.

They are not the most exciting of names though are they? We are pretty much guaranteed to be able to attract anyone from the Championship but so would the likes of Hull and Burnley. Schlupp can't get a game at Leicester so of course he'd be interested in coming here. I think what he meant was attracting quality players here. A Slimani for example.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #512 on: August 19, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
So we are worrying about Evans being sold after we have found a replacement. That will probably be in around two to three transfer windows time!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #513 on: August 19, 2016, 02:39:21 PM »

Add Sakho to that list, he wanted to come.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #514 on: August 19, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
Sorry mate, but "you don't want to lose your best players, but in football sometimes that happens" certainly does indicate to me that we might sell him. No-one can claim that Pulis has said that he's happy and willing for Evans to be sold, but he's definitely hinted that he might be.

It would be madness to sell our best player, even more so at this late stage of the transfer window, but it's hard to resist the bigger clubs if the player wants to move to one of them. If Evans is settled in Manchester, he might not want to move to Arsenal anyway, should they offer an amount that the club regards as acceptable.

stokelad84

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #515 on: August 19, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »
All that means is if Arsenal offered £25-30m tomorrow the club would probably accept the offer. That's a lot different from them actively trying to sell the player!

Everybody has a price. It would take an 'unbelievable fee' and a replacement in place to get Berahino too.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2016, 02:59:57 PM »
Need to look at the picture as a whole.

- No one knows if Evans has any conditions factored into his contract should a 'top 4 team' come in for him
- We are not a big club, regardless of whether we like it or not, everyone of our players has a price.
- We were extremely lucky to get Evans in the first place, Fletcher paid a huge part in getting him here.
- Evans hasnt come out and stated he wants to leave, and the way he has conducted himself since being here, I would put my house on him not saying anything otherwise, as he seems very professional.
- The facts are of course we dont want to sell him, hes arguably our best player, but should a bid of 20million plus come in, and he privately expresses a desire to move, who are we to get in his way. (the same can be said for any of our players).

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #517 on: August 19, 2016, 03:20:42 PM »
All that means is if Arsenal offered £25-30m tomorrow the club would probably accept the offer. That's a lot different from them actively trying to sell the player!
Has anyone suggested that we're actively trying to sell him?

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #518 on: August 19, 2016, 03:41:49 PM »
He's quite easily and simply our best player. After the shocker of a summer that we have had, if we sell Jonny I'd be furious. I actually think he could be the best player that we've had on my lifetime, the guy is simply class. I've read so many Arsenal comments sneering at their interest in him and have to laugh to myself, especially how embarrassing their central defenders are (bar Koiscelney sp?).

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #519 on: August 19, 2016, 03:42:50 PM »
If and it is just an IF, Jonny has a clause in his contract, TP will be all to aware of that, and he will be resigned to losing him unless non-footballing issues cause JE to want to stay put.
It does sound to me as though we will lose JE, but much as I dislike TP, this may well be due to circumstances beyond his control.

Someone needs to be having a word in Mrs Evans lughole !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #520 on: August 19, 2016, 04:24:56 PM »
He's quite easily and simply our best player. After the shocker of a summer that we have had, if we sell Jonny I'd be furious. I actually think he could be the best player that we've had on my lifetime, the guy is simply class. I've read so many Arsenal comments sneering at their interest in him and have to laugh to myself, especially how embarrassing their central defenders are (bar Koiscelney sp?).

I completely agree. He is one of the best defenders in the world for me, top 20 for sure. He has improved as a player since he signed for us too which I think is down to playing without the media pressure. Some may disagree with me but I think he would walk into any defense in the country.  For a player of his ability in this current financial climate, I wouldn't be entertaining anything much less than John Stones kind of money.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #521 on: August 19, 2016, 04:51:02 PM »
He's under contract, we don't have to sell him and if we did we could name our own price.
Chester gone, Brunt injured, Bera uninterested, Rondon???? sell Evans and we will go down.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #522 on: August 19, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »
Mind you,think of the profit we would make, thats why we are all Albion fans isn't it?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #523 on: August 19, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »
I did say days ago he will go,and it's nobody's fault.
Let's just admit that Arsenal are bigger, good players have ambition and everyone wants to earn more.

Worst outcome is we haggle and leave it to late , best is anything north of 22m or a really good midfielder as part of the deal.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #524 on: August 19, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »
Mind you,think of the profit we would make, thats why we are all Albion fans isn't it?

Everyone's got a price, I wouldn't the begrudge the club for selling him for £35m-£40m and replacing with quality for £20m (providing the fee was warranted to the players ability), but I just cannot see how we would pull that off. If we could bring in quality then it would not be an issue, for me though, Evans is pure gold and I'd love to see him stay but if sill money comes knocking then we would be silly not to take it providing we replace him. 

I think we all need to give it a year from September 1st 2016 and see what we are dealing with our new owners and chairman. Rome wasn't built in a day and with the new ownership, any conclusions to how we will operate are premature, as they need time to bed in. Any signings made will need time for us to judge (remember when everyone was slaughtering Rondon last season??), it's the same thing with the new owners and chairman. JW is well respected and knows what is needed, let's give the new regime a chance.