Author Topic: status over time  (Read 2524 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

status over time
« on: January 08, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »
there is a nice graphic on this page, shows how clubs have "figured" in top div over time.
Quite interesting I thought

its a bit volatile at first but then (logically) starts to settle, note the scarcity of custard and black since 30's

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/town-lead-norwich-in-all-time-top-flight-table-1-6454422
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:58:56 AM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

Re: status over time
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 12:54:35 PM »
Interesting and always good to see us ahead of 'them' Didn't they have their best ever spell in the 1950s?? (3 league titles I think)

Dynamo10

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 01:01:35 PM »
But aren't we supposed to be a little old mid table Championship club?  :P

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 05:36:15 PM »
But aren't we supposed to be a little old mid table Championship club?  :P
When Jeremy Peace made his now famous comment, we had already been pushed down the pecking order by the clubs with rich owners and fortunes from Sky TV. Back in the day we could compete and I mean, properly compete ,with England's  finest. I do not expect us to be "competing" properly in the Premier League any time soon, unless of course a "Fosun" comes along and takes a shine to us.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
When Jeremy Peace made his now famous comment, we had already been pushed down the pecking order by the clubs with rich owners and fortunes from Sky TV. Back in the day we could compete and I mean, properly compete ,with England's  finest. I do not expect us to be "competing" properly in the Premier League any time soon, unless of course a "Fosun" comes along and takes a shine to us.

Think you are remembering the past with rose coloured spectacles on. We have always been a fairly average side with the odd golden period like the mid seventies to early 80's

Going back 70 years to the 49/50 season (when we got promoted and had a sustained run in Div1) up to our relegation in 1972/73 we finished 10th or better 11 times and 11th or worse 12 times. Then on promotion back to Div 1 in 76/77 up to our relegation in 85/86 we finished 10th or better 5 times and 11th or worse 5 times.

Our cup form is very similar too, we have got to the 5th round or better in 42 years out of the 126 years that the cup has run.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_West_Bromwich_Albion_F.C._seasons
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:31:02 AM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:27:38 AM »
"a fairly average side" !!!! :o :-[

I have to take issue with that, in a league of 92 clubs around 40th - 50th is average, whereas we are 11th
Just, Just outside the top 10 is quite an achievement which we should be very proud of IMO,

Its fair to say we are an average top division club based on these figures, which is an entirely different thing all together.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 12:03:21 PM »
11th in the all time top flight table for a club that doesnt go financially overboard is a great achievement in my eyes.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
"a fairly average side" !!!! :o :-[

I have to take issue with that, in a league of 92 clubs around 40th - 50th is average, whereas we are 11th
Just, Just outside the top 10 is quite an achievement which we should be very proud of IMO,

Its fair to say we are an average top division club based on these figures, which is an entirely different thing all together.

The original poster that I was replying to made reference to us being competitive with top clubs, I was showing that in the top flight we are average.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 04:27:17 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »
It does make you wonder where the club could have been now if it had pushed on a little more in the first 100 years.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 09:34:48 AM »
No sign of Chelsea until Abramovic appeared, just shows how money and the Premier League changed the game.