Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5134901 times)

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #14125 on: April 07, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »
his number of wanted new players is higher than the chairman talked about earlier in the year.
 http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/880252041?-11200:789:0

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14126 on: April 07, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »
Adam. He does the same thing as every manager when it comes to PR before a game. No manager we ever get will say anything different.  You forget that a lot of the comments are answers to questions by journalists.  When asked "what do you think of southampton?" Hes not going to go on about the strength of our attacking options is he?

Honestly, go and look at every managers prematch press conferences for this weekend.  If what you say is true and it's a Pulis thing then you can quote the managers that you like hearing from.

We have no idea what he says to the players so we can't say that hes not boosting their confidence directly to them. Give the players some credit - they're not going to read the quotes in a newspaper about Southampton and think "crikey - the boss thinks they're great and we're not great". All week the players will be discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.  It is quite literally their job.

If people are having to use this as a stick to beat the manager with it shows how desperate they're getting.  I told my spurs supporting mate about this criticism and he thought it was me winding him up it was that much of a joke.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14127 on: April 08, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »
Adam. He does the same thing as every manager when it comes to PR before a game. No manager we ever get will say anything different.  You forget that a lot of the comments are answers to questions by journalists.  When asked "what do you think of southampton?" Hes not going to go on about the strength of our attacking options is he?

Honestly, go and look at every managers prematch press conferences for this weekend.  If what you say is true and it's a Pulis thing then you can quote the managers that you like hearing from.

We have no idea what he says to the players so we can't say that hes not boosting their confidence directly to them. Give the players some credit - they're not going to read the quotes in a newspaper about Southampton and think "crikey - the boss thinks they're great and we're not great". All week the players will be discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.  It is quite literally their job.

If people are having to use this as a stick to beat the manager with it shows how desperate they're getting.  I told my spurs supporting mate about this criticism and he thought it was me winding him up it was that much of a joke.

Thank god - common sense at last.
MAGA!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14128 on: April 08, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
I've been a knocker of him. Today, Dawson, Evans and Nyom could've all grabbed a goal and needed composure and the blame can't fall at the boss' feet.

With lost two games i'd have hoped to pick up 3 or 4 points from after picking up 4 unlikely points previous to that, so we've levelled out really. Time for Tony to get the players to dig in and once again frustrate one of the top 4.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Jimmy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14129 on: April 08, 2017, 11:13:51 PM »
We havent had a decent striker since Lukakku.

The team that ended the game today just start next game but dont think he will ever not start Fletcher.

To be fair, the team that started should have done more in the time. We just dont have the gameplan for when we have the ball.

Thats why, in my opinion, Chadli flounders a bit. He is used to getting a lot of touches but that just wont happen in this set up.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14130 on: April 09, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »

The team that ended the game today just start next game but dont think he will ever not start Fletcher.

To be fair, the team that started should have done more in the time. We just dont have the gameplan for when we have the ball.

Thats why, in my opinion, Chadli flounders a bit. He is used to getting a lot of touches but that just wont happen in this set up.

Now dont shoot me down because he is a fans favourite and i am a big fan myself but maybe the day Morrison leaves we may see Chadli in his best position (playing just behind the striker (s))  i think thats what its going to take before we see Chadli in that position. Same goes for Fletcher. I seriously dont see him not playing until the day he retires.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14131 on: April 09, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »

Chadli was in possession of the ball on plenty of occasions yesterday.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14132 on: April 09, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »
Chadli was in possession of the ball on plenty of occasions yesterday.

I thought the same.
 What frustrates me is that Chadli rarely looks to keep the ball and look around for passing opportunities he just quickly lays the ball off to the nearest player (quite often it's one of our players) if he doesn't make a pass he just tries a flick without really thinking about were the ball is going. I've been largely disappointed with him after a promising start.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14133 on: April 17, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »
I see this coming season has the biggest season in his managerial career.
He has always been looked at has the "fix it" man which up to now has been ok, but after not getting backed in the transfer market at Crystal Palace he walked
(could that have been with a bigger budget he thought he could have made them a top 6 team}
 i just think/hope he sees this upcoming season has maybe his last chance to show everyone he can manage a bigger budget & get into the top 6.
Well heres hoping TP sees it that way to. :-\

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14134 on: April 17, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
I see this coming season has the biggest season in his managerial career.
He has always been looked at has the "fix it" man which up to now has been ok, but after not getting backed in the transfer market at Crystal Palace he walked
(could that have been with a bigger budget he thought he could have made them a top 6 team}
 i just think/hope he sees this upcoming season has maybe his last chance to show everyone he can manage a bigger budget & get into the top 6.
Well heres hoping TP sees it that way to. :-\
If he thought that, he would be deluded, and he isn't so he won't. Sorry to disappoint you

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14135 on: April 17, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »
If he thought that, he would be deluded, and he isn't so he won't. Sorry to disappoint you

Ive been supporting the Baggies some 64+ years since i got smack on my backside by some doctor so i'm use to being disappointed in the going & not goings on at the Baggies. when next seasons transfer window closes one of us will be right so lets wait & see. ;)

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14136 on: April 17, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
Pulis has gone back to his very boring best of recent. He really needs to show his change come summer in the transfer market. We need cb lb winger and 2 strikers minimum. We can't afford him to just limit us to people with prem experience.
O Albion we love you

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14137 on: April 18, 2017, 12:24:51 AM »
Not been impressed with his team selection or tactics of late and I for one can't see him pushing us on to the next level.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14138 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:39 AM »
Not been impressed with his team selection or tactics of late and I for one can't see him pushing us on to the next level.

If he continues has he has all his managerial i agree, Thats why i said next pre season window will be his biggest ever  he fancies trying to climb up the table & reinvent himself has a top manager & not a Mr Fix It. I used the walking away from Crystal Palace because he said "they wouldn't back him in the transfer market"

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14139 on: April 18, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »
If he continues has he has all his managerial i agree, Thats why i said next pre season window will be his biggest ever  he fancies trying to climb up the table & reinvent himself has a top manager & not a Mr Fix It. I used the walking away from Crystal Palace because he said "they wouldn't back him in the transfer market"

I don't think there is any desire on his part to change his approach. He has long given up any hope of the big stage his brand of football is so toxic that the only way he would be appointed to any position is out desperation, which is why he got both his last 2 jobs.

He will be our manager until he has sustained run of poor form, falls out with the board (less likely with the £6m court case needing to be settled) or he empties the Hawthorns. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14140 on: April 18, 2017, 10:26:07 AM »
Ive been supporting the Baggies some 64+ years since i got smack on my backside by some doctor so i'm use to being disappointed in the going & not goings on at the Baggies. when next seasons transfer window closes one of us will be right so lets wait & see. ;)
My first instinct was to say that we won't see who is right until the end of next season, even though I can tell you now it is very very very unlikely that we will finish in the top 6. But you also seem to imagine that Pulis will have a huge transfer budget available to him at the end of this season, which he won't, so I guess the top 6 dream will indeed be over by the end of the transfer window. Love your optimism though

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #14141 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
My first instinct was to say that we won't see who is right until the end of next season, even though I can tell you now it is very very very unlikely that we will finish in the top 6. But you also seem to imagine that Pulis will have a huge transfer budget available to him at the end of this season, which he won't, so I guess the top 6 dream will indeed be over by the end of the transfer window. Love your optimism though

I'd call a top 6 spot 'the impossible dream'
We're 13 points behind 7th place at the moment to Everton.
They have the likes of Lukaku, Barkley, Davis, Mirallas. That's £100m+ worth of talent at there disposal.
From a business point of view the outlay isn't worth the gain.
Our focus should be on a top half finish every season and a good go at the domestic cups and see where that takes us.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14142 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
Guys, I'm not a Puiis fan but he was the right man at the right time & at times has shown he can get the balance right.
Is he the right man for next season for me No but 100% he will still be in charge next season .
Next season will also show what Mr Lai he what's from his manager & the club.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:57:57 PM by geoff »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14143 on: April 18, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
I'd call a top 6 spot 'the impossible dream'
We're 13 points behind 7th place at the moment to Everton.
They have the likes of Lukaku, Barkley, Davis, Mirallas. That's £100m+ worth of talent at there disposal.
From a business point of view the outlay isn't worth the gain.
Our focus should be on a top half finish every season and a good go at the domestic cups and see where that takes us.
Top 10 is not guaranteed yet. Southampton will probably finish above us and, unless we get our act together, so could Watford, Stoke and even Leicester so might end up finishing 12th which would be a travesty based on where we were 6 games ago.
Pulis will definitely be in charge next season, just hope we bring in the type of player to fit the counter attack style of earlier in the season and do not revert back to sitting deep.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #14144 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
its important we stay grounded
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

boingusmaximus

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #14145 on: April 18, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
Staying grounded will keep TP in his job. We may stay as an insignificant, if ugly, part of the premier league whilst he is here. He talks a good game for his own purposes. I am surprised by how many of our fans have been taken in by him and will still watch the type of football that, if any away team turned up at the Hawthorns and played, would be vilified. Looks like he is staying for a while. I will turn up for the cup ties in the vain hope that one day something exciting will happen.     

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14146 on: April 18, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
its important we stay grounded

Very true, as a club with the squad we have greatly overachieved this season.
So we need investment in our 1st Team not our squad in the next window. 3 players in the £20-£25 million bracket & more of the same the next season MIGHT see us becoming 8-6 place regular.
Thats where i would love us to be in 2019-2020 season.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14147 on: April 18, 2017, 06:16:52 PM »
Staying grounded will keep TP in his job. We may stay as an insignificant, if ugly, part of the premier league whilst he is here. He talks a good game for his own purposes. I am surprised by how many of our fans have been taken in by him and will still watch the type of football that, if any away team turned up at the Hawthorns and played, would be vilified. Looks like he is staying for a while. I will turn up for the cup ties in the vain hope that one day something exciting will happen.   

The type of football we played in the league between November and March was decent.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14148 on: April 21, 2017, 01:28:13 AM »
The trend is still there with Tp get to the magical forty points and then struggle for remainder of season. What are the positions worth to Club's with new deal from broadcasters? Thought Tony had a strong hand going into negotiations for new contract and available transfer funds before the dip in form and if we don't stay in top ten Pulis might get new extension to contract  but outlay on player's might be curtailed

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14149 on: April 21, 2017, 07:07:55 AM »
The trend is still there with Tp get to the magical forty points and then struggle for remainder of season. What are the positions worth to Club's with new deal from broadcasters? Thought Tony had a strong hand going into negotiations for new contract and available transfer funds before the dip in form and if we don't stay in top ten Pulis might get new extension to contract  but outlay on player's might be curtailed

The budget is the budget it won't vary depending on where we finish in the league table by much if anything, a lot of the merit payments go to the players by way of bonuses.

His contract is a different kettle of fish. On the one hand a top half finish is still more likely than not and that would probably get him an extension although a poor end to the season might see the board delay until the early part of next season. He's not going anywhere so there is little or no point in having him on a long contract it will only cost us more if we sack him.

Tony talking down the club and managing our expectations is all part of him keeping his job with the lowest level of achievement possible e.g. 40 to 50 points poor efforts in the cups and safety first football. He will not change our current position is not a platform to develop it is a danger to him because it comes close to raising the bar and making his life more difficult.

Part of me would love board to take leave of their collective senses and throw £100m at him just to see what happens and give him a new challenge in managing our expectations.

As ever I wouldn't expect a different manager to get better results but they might achieve them without the miserable hang dog conservatism that Tony Pulis embodies.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.