Author Topic: Tony Pulis  (Read 5162557 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Tony Pulis
« Reply #15650 on: August 21, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »
I'm not enamoured by the football we play. However I do feel that we need a stable relationship between the new owners and our manager for about 3 seasons so everything has had time to settle in and bed down before the owners really need to make some serious decisions. It will be better for us as a club in the long run.
As much as the football can be frustrating TP really is the stability we need as we move forward in a new era.
He may not be the man to carry us too far forward from where we are now but you know what you are getting from him!
Boing Boing!

Conversely, I worry that the longer he remains, his "style" "culture" "squad" become ingrained in our club, (Stoke are still playing with a half Pulis team 4? seasons on.) 
A new manager will have a massive job unpicking the straight jacket TP will have left the club in.

Stability leads to inertia and in this game inertia will kill you, as there will be plenty of others striving to overtake you.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15651 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:31 PM »
Conversely, I worry that the longer he remains, his "style" "culture" "squad" become ingrained in our club, (Stoke are still playing with a half Pulis team 4? seasons on.) 
A new manager will have a massive job unpicking the straight jacket TP will have left the club in.

Stability leads to inertia and in this game inertia will kill you, as there will be plenty of others striving to overtake you.

Surely that's a good thing. Pulis has made us a good, effective and well organised team who are bloody hard to beat. He's always stated that he likes to leaves club better than he found them and I think that will be the case at Albion. What we don't want is some numpty to come here and undo all the good work Pulis has done where it only needs a little bit of tweaking maybe rather than an overhaul.
the regime don't like it man

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #15652 on: August 21, 2017, 06:26:21 PM »

I hear what your saying Albionic but 2 or 3 seasons of stable results/ plodding football is surely better than let's say a Blackburn or Cardiff city situation.
We can't complain too much if we get another top ten finish.
It lets the new guys get a good handle on it before shaking it up too much 👍🏻

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15653 on: August 21, 2017, 06:29:44 PM »
Surely that's a good thing. Pulis has made us a good, effective and well organised team who are bloody hard to beat. He's always stated that he likes to leaves club better than he found them and I think that will be the case at Albion. What we don't want is some numpty to come here and undo all the good work Pulis has done where it only needs a little bit of tweaking maybe rather than an overhaul.
What? We ain't good, and hard to beat? We won one in twelve until the start of the season!!

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15654 on: August 21, 2017, 06:56:51 PM »
What? We ain't good, and hard to beat? We won one in twelve until the start of the season!!

You mean the season we spent the majority of in the top 8? Yeah load of rubbish.  :-[

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15655 on: August 21, 2017, 11:43:02 PM »
You mean the season we spent the majority of in the top 8? Yeah load of rubbish.  :-[
Yes mate that season, still only won one in twelve, no matter how you dress it up. And yes it is a load of rubbish!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15656 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
I don't think I'll bother to even try and read this site if we end up in trouble.

There's too much suicide in the world as it is and life's precious  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15657 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »
Yes mate that season, still only won one in twelve, no matter how you dress it up. And yes it is a load of rubbish!!

Yeah thing is though you're taking 1 out of 12 out of context, injuries, 40 point mark etc. Not excusing it and neither would TP but do we base judgments on the last 2/3 months of a season, or the keyword being the whole season? We are overacheivers pure and simple, I think to be honest our expectations of some fans for a club our side are unrealistic. We don't have the pulling factor of London and we're not a big club with a big stadium so it's easy to see the lure of teams like palace and watford  (even though I don't believe them to be a "bigger club") over a team like west brom. That's where I think we are disadvantaged in terms of recruitment straight away regardless of pulis specific requirements. We really are punching above our weights consistently, I don't understand how fickle and unrealistic our fans can be. We'd all love to splash cash and expand the stadium and get Albion into a worldwide brand (which with the eco cities and Chinese link we're slowly laying the foundation's to improve our brand awareness). However we don't have the fanbase or revenue to do this, we have a high wage%/turnover as it is and only are capable of doing this  and competing in the premier league due to the copious amounts of TV money that we absolutely rely on, it makes me laugh when people say they'd rather watch us in the championship. It wouldn't be the same as ten years ago when we were able to bounce back pretty much straight away, look at the villa. Really think we should start putting on a more united front and have a real look at the job TP is doing considering all factors and realise we ain't doing too bad at all (even though we're all in agreement we need more players - we don't want to buy any old rubbish like we have done in the past just to fill gaps)

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15658 on: August 22, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »

So the games before that don't count? You are picking a statistic to suit your anti TP agenda when in reality last season was a success.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15659 on: August 22, 2017, 11:24:17 AM »
Clarke was sacked based on a non-season set of match stats although the trend of last seasons plummet in form was clearly related to having achieved the 40 point mark. This is Pulis 2nd challenge, first to stay up, second to not fall away after reaching 40 points, third winning a cup.

If he achieves all of that, no matter how we play, he'd have done well.

The thing with Pulis, which has been said a gazillion times is that if the results aren't there, there's very little else for fans to get excited about whereas some previous managers have managed somehow to keep fans engaged when losing matches.

This is maybe a product of our stability in the premier league as much as anything else?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #15660 on: August 22, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »
Yeah thing is though you're taking 1 out of 12 out of context, injuries, 40 point mark etc. Not excusing it and neither would TP but do we base judgments on the last 2/3 months of a season, or the keyword being the whole season? We are overacheivers pure and simple, I think to be honest our expectations of some fans for a club our side are unrealistic. We don't have the pulling factor of London and we're not a big club with a big stadium so it's easy to see the lure of teams like palace and watford  (even though I don't believe them to be a "bigger club") over a team like west brom. That's where I think we are disadvantaged in terms of recruitment straight away regardless of pulis specific requirements. We really are punching above our weights consistently, I don't understand how fickle and unrealistic our fans can be. We'd all love to splash cash and expand the stadium and get Albion into a worldwide brand (which with the eco cities and Chinese link we're slowly laying the foundation's to improve our brand awareness). However we don't have the fanbase or revenue to do this, we have a high wage%/turnover as it is and only are capable of doing this  and competing in the premier league due to the copious amounts of TV money that we absolutely rely on, it makes me laugh when people say they'd rather watch us in the championship. It wouldn't be the same as ten years ago when we were able to bounce back pretty much straight away, look at the villa. Really think we should start putting on a more united front and have a real look at the job TP is doing considering all factors and realise we ain't doing too bad at all (even though we're all in agreement we need more players - we don't want to buy any old rubbish like we have done in the past just to fill gaps)

Apologies for going slightly off topic,

We are out performing in respect to who we are, BUT, look at what we could be
a) we are one of the 30 richest clubs on the planet,
b) we are the only premier league club in a caption area of circa10 million, (w.mids 5.7m, worcs 0.5m / warks 0.5m / glos 0.8m / s.staffs 0.4 / shrops
 0.3 ........
c) History, founding club, league winners, cup winners (*5)
d) international players ...

The club NEEDS to shed its small town mentality, hopefully Lai & Palm will do this, The start point has to be marketing the brand better IMHO.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15661 on: August 22, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
The blokes god, stop picking on him :P
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15662 on: August 22, 2017, 11:49:41 AM »
The blokes god, stop picking on him :P

Thank you, at last one post I agree with  :P   ;)

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15663 on: August 22, 2017, 01:33:08 PM »
Apologies for going slightly off topic,

We are out performing in respect to who we are, BUT, look at what we could be
a) we are one of the 30 richest clubs on the planet,
b) we are the only premier league club in a caption area of circa10 million, (w.mids 5.7m, worcs 0.5m / warks 0.5m / glos 0.8m / s.staffs 0.4 / shrops
 0.3 ........
c) History, founding club, league winners, cup winners (*5)
d) international players ...

The club NEEDS to shed its small town mentality, hopefully Lai & Palm will do this, The start point has to be marketing the brand better IMHO.

Don't entirely disagree with you but your points also raise the question why aren't we a bigger club by now? Why aren't we filling out the stadium giving the owners the necessity to expand the stadium and bring it in line with other modern capacities /stadia. Being in the top 30 richest doesn't mean an awful lot as a lot of premier league teams run at losses, something jps model ensured we were always in the black. Although we're in the 30 richest teams that doesn't mean that much and turning that into being one of the world's 30 biggest teams would require at least 10/20 years of work unless we have a season like Leicester. As for international players there's a plethora of them in both premier league and championship wouldn't read too much into that. I think the fanbase definately have a role to play if we want to achieve any sort of top 7 team status.  I remember going down to the Hawthorns knowing it would always be packed and we'd back the boys and manager for 90 mins and wouldn't shut up. Now it's like a chore for most people,  i understand, as fans we want ambition, but to reach that it has to be measured and gradual. The points you raised yourself definately suggest we have the foundations to really push on as a club, however these factors haven't changed for about 9/10 years now we've become an established premier league team,so for anyone to say TP is holding us back as a club needs to look at the bigger picture (not saying you are just a general feeling). I understand the frustration and share the ambition but dont want to see us like the villa down the road. One of my point's from earlier is that our general status as a club(fanbase/stadium etc) and geographical pull of London instantly puts us at a disadvantage in the transfer market when you see some of the names people want us to go for or that we've  "missed" out on, it's just not realistic.  COYB

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15664 on: August 22, 2017, 01:47:30 PM »
One of my point's from earlier is that our general status as a club(fanbase/stadium etc) and geographical pull of London instantly puts us at a disadvantage in the transfer market when you see some of the names people want us to go for or that we've  "missed" out on, it's just not realistic.  COYB

Does anyone else think our location is a problem?

Our Head Coach lives on the South Coast, two of our last season's squad travelled down from Manchester every day.

Most of our first team squad are wealthy enough to have a daily commute by helicopter.

I'm not sure our location is a big issue, I'm not even sure our playing style & Head Coach is a big issue.

When other clubs are offering to double his wages to attract our captain, & when the person who has the final say is procrastination personified, that's a big issue.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15665 on: August 22, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »
Does anyone else think our location is a problem?

Our Head Coach lives on the South Coast, two of our last season's squad travelled down from Manchester every day.

Most of our first team squad are wealthy enough to have a daily commute by helicopter.

I'm not sure our location is a big issue, I'm not even sure our playing style & Head Coach is a big issue.

When other clubs are offering to double his wages to attract our captain, & when the person who has the final say is procrastination personified, that's a big issue.

Granted money talks but hypothetically speaking if a club from london or Cheshire way comes in for a player the trend seems to be that those two locations are the top footballers playground, why would you commute from London every day to here? That's my point, what's our usp to these players? Why would a player want to do that commute when they can just play for palace and watford etc. We just don't have that pull or status as a club.

Beefy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15666 on: August 22, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »
Read into these comments what you wil !!

Matt Wilson‏Verified account @mattwilson_star  20m20 minutes ago

Pulis was also impressed with Chadli's attitude, but when I asked if he would be sold this summer he said: "We'll have to wait and see."

Matt Wilson‏Verified account @mattwilson_star  21m21 minutes ago

Pulis: "The showers couldn't be turned on afterwards because the lights had to be turned off. Brilliant. That won't do these lot any harm."

Matt Wilson‏Verified account @mattwilson_star  23m23 minutes ago

Delighted Pulis played such a strong team, but when I asked him about it he said: "It's the only team we've got!"

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15667 on: August 22, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »
Read into these comments what you wil !!

Matt Wilson‏Verified account @mattwilson_star  20m20 minutes ago

Pulis was also impressed with Chadli's attitude, but when I asked if he would be sold this summer he said: "We'll have to wait and see."

Matt Wilson‏Verified account @mattwilson_star  21m21 minutes ago

Pulis: "The showers couldn't be turned on afterwards because the lights had to be turned off. Brilliant. That won't do these lot any harm."

Matt Wilson‏Verified account @mattwilson_star  23m23 minutes ago

Delighted Pulis played such a strong team, but when I asked him about it he said: "It's the only team we've got!"
cor argue about what he's saying, close to our strongest team tonight. 

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15668 on: August 22, 2017, 11:11:14 PM »
3 wins out of 3.

Keep up the good work TP. Top manager.

8)

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #15669 on: August 23, 2017, 10:23:53 AM »
Was refreshing to see Pulis utilise a different system last night, I know it was Accrington Stanley but I have thought for a while that playing a 4-2-3-1 formation would benefit some of the individual quality we possess and give our attacking play more dynamism.   Hope he is brave enough to play it in the league; a front four of Chadli, Rodriguez, Phillips and Rondon would give any team problems.
"This crack is really moreish."

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15670 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
Was refreshing to see Pulis utilise a different system last night, I know it was Accrington Stanley but I have thought for a while that playing a 4-2-3-1 formation would benefit some of the individual quality we possess and give our attacking play more dynamism.   Hope he is brave enough to play it in the league; a front four of Chadli, Rodriguez, Phillips and Rondon would give any team problems.

Before the season I was really looking forward to seeing this too but fear we won't see it too many times this season with the links to Deeney/Janssen and Chadli to Swansea.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15671 on: August 23, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »

Agree, that would be a dangerous front four who all possess different qualities. I'm desperate to see Chadli stay and go back to his earlier form, don't know how well he played last night but he's a talented player who hasn't shown it enough with us so far.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:34:14 AM by Legend »

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15672 on: August 25, 2017, 11:22:35 PM »
with the latest movement in this transfer window are we finally going to see the palace pulisball?pace and power by big able agile footballers all over the pitch?i really hope so,the future looks bright in blue and white ;D

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15673 on: August 25, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »
with the latest movement in this transfer window are we finally going to see the palace pulisball?pace and power by big able agile footballers all over the pitch?i really hope so,the future looks bright in blue and white ;D

To be fair we've won 3 out of 3 without 'palace pulisball'

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15674 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:23 PM »
To be fair we've won 3 out of 3 without 'palace pulisball'
yup but how many did we lose over a  course of a season?