Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2385098 times)

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #6500 on: October 29, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
With an offer of £200m reportedly having been made for Burnley, I'm struggling to see what makes them more attractive at that price than us at £175m?

A quick look at last year's accounts of Burnley showed a turnover of nearly £140m, quite a bit more than I think we ever achieved,plus having £40 million in the bank at the end of last season.  Even if we survive this season I don't see our club being worth anything close to what Lai wants, especially if supporters are not allowed back.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6501 on: October 29, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
If £175M is his starting position, what might he settle for, I wonder.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6502 on: October 29, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
I would say he is willing to accept considerably less but hardly going to make that public knowledge.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6503 on: October 29, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »
‘I’m told’ – Athletic journalist claims Lai has named his price for West Brom sale

Being "reported" that Lai wants £175m prepared to take a big hit

Source: https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/10/29/im-told-athletic-journalist-claims-lai-has-named-his-price-for-west-brom-sale/

I think the "s" is missing from the prepared bit, as if we go down again that's all he'll get offered in the current covid climate.

Hope this price is true (lower would be better), but doubt it is given the Burnley takeover at £200m, as their Egyptian buyer would surely prefer to put the £25m saving into player purchases and on a club closer to London with also the added attraction of HS2 if he has intentions to invest heavily in the local area like the man city owners.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6504 on: October 29, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
A quick look at last year's accounts of Burnley showed a turnover of nearly £140m, quite a bit more than I think we ever achieved,plus having £40 million in the bank at the end of last season.  Even if we survive this season I don't see our club being worth anything close to what Lai wants, especially if supporters are not allowed back.

On gates of 20,000 and an apparently socially deprived area that £140m is remarkable if true and a great advert for their marketing team as cannot recall a big player sale from them since that Everton defender whose name escapes me.

I think I also read that they operated on a ridiculously low wages bill of around £55m.

They've certainly come a long way from Kilby sagging us for having the unfair advatage of parachute payments and being sponsored by dave fishwick.

That £40m in the bank is a jp tactic they have clearly seen and used to attract a buyer using the mantra "see what could be yours".
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 03:40:46 PM by BalisPen »

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6505 on: October 29, 2020, 03:51:35 PM »
On gates of 20,000 and an apparently socially deprived area that £140m is remarkable if true and a great advert for their marketing team as cannot recall a big player sale from them since that Everton defender whose name escapes me.

I think I also read that they operated on a ridiculously low wages bill of around £55m.

They've certainly come a long way from Kilby sagging us for having the unfair advatage of parachute payments and being sponsored by dave fishwick.

That £40m in the bank is a jp tactic they have clearly seen and used to attract a buyer using the mantra "see what could be yours".

Finishing 10th helped, they received £30+ more than Norwich, who got £95m from TV.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6506 on: October 29, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »
Finishing 10th helped, they received £30+ more than Norwich, who got £95m from TV.

Burnley's gate income was around £6 million, TV rights were around £115 million, so by far their largest source of income was media rights.

Their total wage bill was around £78 million.

Been doing some research into acquisitions, & if I've understood it right, JP's sale to GL was what is known as a share sale in accountancy terms.

With a share sale, the buyer acquires both assets & liabilities of the business.

As Stoxman said, although tangible assets can be calculated, as can the player registration portion of the intangible assets, some of the intangible assets, like profits & goodwill are more nuanced & therefore subject to opinion.

Certainly there are US & Middle Eastern organisations who are in the market for an EPL club.

Depending on the end game for the buyer, WBA might be a good buy at £175 million, especially if the rivalry between us, Villa & Wolves improves their global exposure
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6507 on: October 29, 2020, 10:01:19 PM »
Our peak PL turnover was £137m and Burnley's £138m. So the two clubs are similar from a financial perspective and whether we are talking about £200m or £175m both clubs are absolutely appalling propositions at that sort of price.

There is zero prospect that a new owner will come in at £175m and spend the sort of money that many fans want to see lavished on the club.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6508 on: October 29, 2020, 11:06:07 PM »
Burnley's gate income was around £6 million, TV rights were around £115 million, so by far their largest source of income was media rights.

Been doing some research into acquisitions, & if I've understood it right, JP's sale to GL was what is known as a share sale in accountancy terms.

With a share sale, the buyer acquires both assets & liabilities of the business.

As Stoxman said, although tangible assets can be calculated, as can the player registration portion of the intangible assets, some of the intangible assets, like profits & goodwill are more nuanced & therefore subject to opinion.

Certainly there are US & Middle Eastern organisations who are in the market for an EPL club.

Depending on the end game for the buyer, WBA might be a good buy at £175 million, especially if the rivalry between us, Villa & Wolves improves their global exposure

Good time for Burnley to sell dont they have like 9 players out of contract come summer?
O Albion we love you

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6509 on: October 30, 2020, 02:12:42 AM »
Good time for Burnley to sell dont they have like 9 players out of contract come summer?

They didn't spend much in the last window and lost Hendrick and Defour and worryingly for them there was talk of their boss not being happy and wanting to leave.

If he leaves the next boss will have a massive job to stop them falling as low as even the Dings, as Dyche is solely responsible for their stay in the prem as he rarely makes errors in the transfer market.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6510 on: October 30, 2020, 08:50:35 AM »
Our peak PL turnover was £137m and Burnley's £138m. So the two clubs are similar from a financial perspective and whether we are talking about £200m or £175m both clubs are absolutely appalling propositions at that sort of price.

There is zero prospect that a new owner will come in at £175m and spend the sort of money that many fans want to see lavished on the club.

Really depends on the reason for the purchase.

In a pre-covid world, an EPL club would be a useful conduit for global exposure of the buyers organisation. (Isn't that why GL bought us in the first place?).

£175 - £200 million might be a price worth paying for an EPL club, depending on what the global economy looks like post covid.

I agree though, there is no way GL will get £175 million for an EFL club, so it's essential we retain our EPL status.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6511 on: October 30, 2020, 09:11:47 AM »
They didn't spend much in the last window and lost Hendrick and Defour and worryingly for them there was talk of their boss not being happy and wanting to leave.

If he leaves the next boss will have a massive job to stop them falling as low as even the Dings, as Dyche is solely responsible for their stay in the prem as he rarely makes errors in the transfer market.

I think that is fairly accurate. They have 14 players out of contract at the end of the season, and the ones they do have under contract will be their better players who will want to leave (McNeil, Pope, etc.). They would probably lose Dyche at that point, if they hadn't already. Having to rebuild with parachute payments in the Championship is no easy thing, as we know, but they would have a massive job on their hands.

I wouldn't want to be buying them now by any means. That's another Lai waiting to happen.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6512 on: October 30, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
We are in the process of selling our house, currently it is SSC, and had to spend countless hours explaining to my wife that it is/was worth exactly whatever someone was prepared to pay for it and not what the one over the road sold for six months ago or what the one two doors down has just been put up for sale at, both of which were different sizes, different styles and different ages to our house.
COYB
But have you used farrow n ball paint?😀
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6513 on: October 30, 2020, 10:23:47 AM »
The following quote from the film Glengarry Glen Ross neatly summarises the difference between the Premier League and the EFL

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”

This is why any Premier League club that has an inherent relegation risk is not worth £200m and only those that don't are worth more but those that don't are worth a lot more.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

stoxman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6514 on: October 30, 2020, 10:40:22 AM »

Hi BaggieJohn.  You’re right about the share sale.   They tend to be more preferable for vendors (sellers) because they are “clean”.  You’ve sold all the assets and liabilities with the exception of anything that’s specifically covered by warranties that cover tax investigations, litigation etc.   Depending on structures, they can also be more tax efficient than asset sales.  From a buyers perspective, asset deals can be better because it more clearly lands the shell of Oldco on the previous owner to deal with any previous issues.   There’s almost always a negotiation in which the buyer will offer two different prices; one for an asset deal and one for a share deal.  Think of it like selling your house.   If deal A was to sell your house with no tax to pay but you have to give warranties for the next 7 years against the roof leaking and deal B was just a walk away with a cheque and possibly more tax to pay, there would be two different values for your house.  It’s similar with businesses.   

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6515 on: October 31, 2020, 12:12:23 PM »
Hope this idiot is seriously thinking about selling club and only way he will get any where near the £175 million is if Slaven can keep Albion in Prem.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6516 on: November 02, 2020, 03:50:54 PM »
Apparently, there was an attempt to raise a large sum of money against the football club last year which was stopped internally.

By whom and for what purpose I have no idea, but it does make you wonder what is going on in the upper echelons of the club.

Has any member heard about this?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

staticboy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #6517 on: November 03, 2020, 01:55:32 PM »
What the actual heck???

https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/11/03/guochuan-lai-may-have-already-handed-west-brom-ownership-to-someone-else-chris-lepkowski/

Just searched on Google for

Ms Yasha Ge and Orbis and could not find a thing ???

What is going on at our beloved club?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:58:35 PM by staticboy »

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6518 on: November 03, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
What the actual heck???

https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2020/11/03/guochuan-lai-may-have-already-handed-west-brom-ownership-to-someone-else-chris-lepkowski/

Hasn’t China banned some internet stuff we take for granted, which may be why search engines are turning nothing up ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6519 on: November 03, 2020, 02:50:05 PM »
Lai is still listed as a person with significant control on companies house.

CL should disclose more information about his research and why they think this, or shut up.  He shouldn't just spout this sort of stuff without at least trying to back it up.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6520 on: November 03, 2020, 02:54:11 PM »
What the actual heck???

I thought this had been widely reported before, from memory Ms Ge works for one of Lai's businesses and Orbis are a (dutch?) agency who report on business ownership, akin to an independent companies house but worldwide.  From what I read its a nothing story.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 02:57:34 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6521 on: November 03, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »
Lai is still listed as a person with significant control on companies house.

CL should disclose more information about his research and why they think this, or shut up.  He shouldn't just spout this sort of stuff without at least trying to back it up.

Maybe he can't find out any more, and mentions it because then somebody with more connections can look into it?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6522 on: November 03, 2020, 03:28:05 PM »
I thought this had been widely reported before, from memory Ms Ge works for one of Lai's businesses and Orbis are a (dutch?) agency who report on business ownership, akin to an independent companies house but worldwide.  From what I read its a nothing story.

It has been reported before. Something highlighted in the linked article itself which is supposed to be an update of the original, although it doesn't appear to provide one. I haven't listened to the podcast though as CL and AGs voices grate on me after a while. Well a couple of seconds to be honest. I've read the name Yasha Ge before too. As for Orbis there's also a far eastern accounting, business and legal consultancy solutions company........

https://orbis-alliance.com/our-teams/china

....... I've no idea whether they've got anything to do with the current price of eggs, Lai, Ge or West Bromwich Albion in particular though.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6523 on: November 03, 2020, 03:45:14 PM »
The cousin of Man City UAE Sheik Mansour is in the process of buying Derby - surely we would be the better option!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:46:51 PM by TheBaggieMan »
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Nickwba1

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6524 on: November 03, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
The cousin of Man City UAE Sheik Mansour is in the process of buying Derby - surely we would be the better option!

Just out of interest, why do you think we'd be a better option for someone to buy?