Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 760958 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3575 on: January 05, 2020, 05:36:59 PM »
I'd sooner be putting Brunt on with 30 mins to go swinging balls in rather than Krovinovic or the likes , seen Today his corners are better than ours of late and I include Pereira's in that .
Couldn't possible begrudge him a move but for me he still has a role here .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3576 on: January 05, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
I'd sooner be putting Brunt on with 30 mins to go swinging balls in rather than Krovinovic or the likes , seen Today his corners are better than ours of late and I include Pereira's in that .
Couldn't possible begrudge him a move but for me he still has a role here .

His dead ball delivery could make a difference late on against some teams. I share your sentiment.

He's not a starter, but his experience could be vital.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3577 on: January 05, 2020, 06:13:47 PM »
Did seem it could've been his final swansong today after the way he came over to the fans at the end. He looked really disappointed when he missed that chance off the bar and ironically laughing to himself as if to rue not making the most of it.

If it is his last game for us, then I wish him all the best, he's been a great servant to the club and "The Wand" has always been a major weapon for us when he plays LMF or LB.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3578 on: January 05, 2020, 07:16:06 PM »
He was superb and definitely still a role here.

Would rather him as a midfield option than Harper or Barry.

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3579 on: January 05, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »
Has anyone got any vids / pic from him today

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3580 on: January 05, 2020, 07:41:00 PM »
He was superb and definitely still a role here.

Would rather him as a midfield option than Harper or Barry.

Think he is a great option for us at this level. Along with Zohore and harper should really have put himself in contention for Saturday against the same opponents
O Albion we love you

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3581 on: January 05, 2020, 07:45:16 PM »
Think he is a great option for us at this level. Along with Zohore and harper should really have put himself in contention for Saturday against the same opponents

Harper has a lot more to do to be considered at first team level imo.

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3582 on: January 05, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
Has anyone got any vids / pic from him today

Highlights on the BBC website show him hit the bar and also set up Austin to hit the post https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50976142

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3583 on: January 06, 2020, 03:50:38 AM »
 ;D Love Brunty to pieces,but his 35 year old legs won't do the job in the PL . I believe his best option is to give a few years to a Championship team and then continue his career in coaching,with us hopefully.

Will always be treasured here at The Hawthorns,and has been stated, played here over 3 decades putting him in the "Bomber' class of service to the club.

Think he should be part of the team group with the occasional game or as sub.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3584 on: January 06, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »
Id hate to see Brunt go, not only does he offer us something in the side still but he is invaluable to us in the dressing room and the squad.

Yes his time is nearly up of that there is no doubt, but let him see out the season here then let him go for free and give a couple of years of service to another club if he wishes to continue playing.

Lets not let him goto Stoke, although I understand why their boss would be after him.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3585 on: January 06, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »
I have been a critic of CB for about 2 years now, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t recognise him for a massive contribution to the club over the last decade, that said I will not be sad to see the last vestiges of the player power clique moving on.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3586 on: January 06, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »
It's year 2040 and some west Brom fans still want brunt to play cause he is loyal and can take a corner... No wonder we never move on his legs have gone and he can't tackle just the reason why we lost in play offs.. The legend the wand Chris brunt

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3587 on: January 06, 2020, 10:09:09 PM »
It's year 2040 and some west Brom fans still want brunt to play cause he is loyal and can take a corner... No wonder we never move on his legs have gone and he can't tackle just the reason why we lost in play offs.. The legend the wand Chris brunt

We lost in the play off semi due to two players, neither of them is called Chris.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3588 on: January 07, 2020, 08:17:50 AM »

its year 2020 and "fans" still moan about his none contribution to the team and hes been here too long bla bla bla.

the funny thing is that he can STILL contribute to the team more than others. Townsend is a league one LB and Brunt is a better option. People constantly say that Brunts legs have gone yet no one ever mentions Barry.

Boro at home Barrys legs had gone after 20 minutes !!

Brunt should be a back up option at LB after Gibbs/Ferguson and should be back up to Sawyers/Livermore.

i find it an absolute joke Brunt has been here over 10 years yet some fans still question his ability and input into the team/squad.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3589 on: January 07, 2020, 08:43:29 AM »
its year 2020 and "fans" still moan about his none contribution to the team and hes been here too long bla bla bla.

the funny thing is that he can STILL contribute to the team more than others. Townsend is a league one LB and Brunt is a better option. People constantly say that Brunts legs have gone yet no one ever mentions Barry.

Boro at home Barrys legs had gone after 20 minutes !!

Brunt should be a back up option at LB after Gibbs/Ferguson and should be back up to Sawyers/Livermore.

i find it an absolute joke Brunt has been here over 10 years yet some fans still question his ability and input into the team/squad.

thankfully Bilic doesn't share your view.

He was a very good player for us, he used to have a wand of a left foot.
He can't play in centre midfield and is too slow for a LB.

He started poorly against Charlton but improved as the game went on and was really unlucky to hit the bar with a great piece of skill (the delicate chip) but it was against a very inexperienced and quite poor Charlton side which shouldn't be forgotten. Against better opposition I think he would have struggled.

What he has done over the last 10 years should be remembered and respected but shouldn't influence decisions being made for the here and now.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3590 on: January 07, 2020, 08:52:11 AM »
thankfully Bilic doesn't share your view.

He was a very good player for us, he used to have a wand of a left foot.
He can't play in centre midfield and is too slow for a LB.

He started poorly against Charlton but improved as the game went on and was really unlucky to hit the bar with a great piece of skill (the delicate chip) but it was against a very inexperienced and quite poor Charlton side which shouldn't be forgotten. Against better opposition I think he would have struggled.

What he has done over the last 10 years should be remembered and respected but shouldn't influence decisions being made for the here and now.

if it was a poor and inexperienced side, i find it amazing then that because of saturday, Harper is now being talked about being on the bench for the next games?

Maybe some will not realise until Brunt is gone, he is now a squad player at best but he still offers us something IMO that others do not. Townsend is a League 1 left back and very poor and for as brilliant as Barry has been, i felt sorry for him against Boro. He looked a very old man. If that had of Been Brunt he would have been slaughtered and that is what i find disappointing, i have always felt he is judged differently to other players but would love to know why.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3591 on: January 07, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
if it was a poor and inexperienced side, i find it amazing then that because of saturday, Harper is now being talked about being on the bench for the next games?

Maybe some will not realise until Brunt is gone, he is now a squad player at best but he still offers us something IMO that others do not. Townsend is a League 1 left back and very poor and for as brilliant as Barry has been, i felt sorry for him against Boro. He looked a very old man. If that had of Been Brunt he would have been slaughtered and that is what i find disappointing, i have always felt he is judged differently to other players but would love to know why.

Not by me he isn't. I said in the after match thread that I thought Harper was poor.

Townsend isn't poor at all but he is inconsistent. He played really well for us when Gibbs was out and Ferguson was suspended but then had a couple of poor games (Blues away was one , I can't remember the other).

Mentioning how old you think Barry looked against Boro doesn't negate my argument though. Chris Brunt is not a centre midfield player and would equally have struggled against Boro IMHO. His lack of pace would have been as apparent as Barry's and his inability to tackle would have been exposed, at least Barry has a tackle in him.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3592 on: January 07, 2020, 10:03:28 AM »
Not by me he isn't. I said in the after match thread that I thought Harper was poor.

Townsend isn't poor at all but he is inconsistent. He played really well for us when Gibbs was out and Ferguson was suspended but then had a couple of poor games (Blues away was one , I can't remember the other).

Mentioning how old you think Barry looked against Boro doesn't negate my argument though. Chris Brunt is not a centre midfield player and would equally have struggled against Boro IMHO. His lack of pace would have been as apparent as Barry's and his inability to tackle would have been exposed, at least Barry has a tackle in him.

Townsend isn't fit to lace Brunt's boots at this level in any position.

Saturday was not as easy as everyone is making out. It was a superb controlled performance from principally Hegazi, O'Shea, Barry, Brunt and Austin. They helped the others through it and we deserved a couple more goals.

I'll be extremely interested to see how Bartley, Livermore and HRK et al get on there.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3593 on: January 07, 2020, 10:17:58 AM »

Saturday was not as easy as everyone is making out. It was a superb controlled performance from principally Hegazi, O'Shea, Barry, Brunt and Austin. They helped the others through it and we deserved a couple more goals.

I'll be extremely interested to see how Bartley, Livermore and HRK et al get on there.

bit of a moot point really as Bilic seems to see Townsend and not Brunt as the replacement for Gibbs.
 As I said Townsend is inconsistent and if we replace Gibbs it needs to be with someone better as first choice but he has shown he can be more than adequate cover.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3594 on: January 07, 2020, 10:23:44 AM »
I don't get the negativity towards Townsend. I agree with Hull Baggie he is a very decent player but does throw in the odd really poor performance (as mentioned Blues).

As far as Brunty is concerned he still has that quality on the ball. I do think he can be effective for us still but only really if we play 442 where he can play narrowly on the left hand side making it almost a three in centre mid or similarly in a 352. Playing 4231 as we regularly do doesn't play to Brunty's strengths.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3595 on: January 07, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »

It's not that cut and dried if comparing them as left backs surely ?  People have been mentioning Brunt playing there to get crosses in but we don't really setup to play that way as a team and in any case that looks to be the strongest part of Townsend's game....including the peach he put in for Austin on Sunday for the 2nd half hand ball penalty appeal. Townsend does have decent games along with some more iffy ones but at least he's young enough to improve and learn with the experience he's getting. 

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3596 on: January 07, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »

Saturday was not as easy as everyone is making out
. It was a superb controlled performance from principally Hegazi, O'Shea, Barry, Brunt and Austin. They helped the others through it and we deserved a couple more goals.

And they had a match on Sunday too....no wonder we are getting fatigue
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3597 on: January 07, 2020, 10:06:46 PM »
And they had a match on Sunday too....no wonder we are getting fatigue

Whoops, in my defence I'd been up all night ill.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3598 on: January 25, 2020, 10:22:13 PM »
He had a good game today. He has been criminally under utilized this season.

He shouldn't be starting week in week out but he is worthy of the odd start and to come on off the bench.

He and barry are comfortable on the ball and keep us ticking over and retain possession if there isn't an opening this builds pressure. Of late moves have broken down with Livermore who treats it like a hot potato
O Albion we love you

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3599 on: January 25, 2020, 10:52:14 PM »
He had a good game today. He has been criminally under utilized this season.

He shouldn't be starting week in week out but he is worthy of the odd start and to come on off the bench.

He and barry are comfortable on the ball and keep us ticking over and retain possession if there isn't an opening this builds pressure. Of late moves have broken down with Livermore who treats it like a hot potato
Spot on.