Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 410832 times)

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1375 on: February 03, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »
Whatever Phillips is or isn’t he was the best of our starting m/ f last night. Noticeable after he and Robinson got taken off that we had nothing on the r/h side in either attack or defence where there was acres of space
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1376 on: February 03, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
Taxi for Phillips!
Whatever people say Phillips, he is so inconsistent with negative contribution and performances, it needs to have a taxi booked for him.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1377 on: March 04, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »
What exactly does he offer?  Bilic was slaughtered for giving him playing time.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1378 on: March 04, 2021, 08:21:19 PM »
Played well first half, commentators picked up on the fact he was our main outlet at times.

He faded second half but that's likely a fitness issue.

When he wants to be, Phillips can be a good player and he hasn't done much wrong tonight.
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1379 on: March 04, 2021, 08:25:00 PM »
What exactly does he offer?  Bilic was slaughtered for giving him playing time.

He’s done absolutely nothing wrong tonight and played well.

He’s probably knackered at the end and is therefore unlikely to feature on Sunday.

I await you dragging up the Pereira thread to give him a lambasting too...
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1380 on: March 04, 2021, 08:27:36 PM »
Phillips is limited like most of our permanent player's, did ok but offered nothing in advance positions and when counter attack was on never took on his man.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1381 on: March 04, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
Playing well but spent by half time. Just needs to get fit

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1382 on: March 04, 2021, 08:52:45 PM »
He’s done absolutely nothing wrong tonight and played well.

He’s probably knackered at the end and is therefore unlikely to feature on Sunday.

I await you dragging up the Pereira thread to give him a lambasting too...

Pereira is played out of position on the wing instead of in the   Hole.  Phillips is not good enough at this level.

Hopefully he doesn't feature on Sunday and we use a proper winger like Robinson or Diangana.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1383 on: March 04, 2021, 09:45:44 PM »
Played well first half, in fact his best performance for a long time but as normal disappeared second half.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1384 on: March 04, 2021, 11:09:43 PM »
Played well first half, in fact his best performance for a long time but as normal disappeared second half.

Agreed, he doesn't have the legs, looks knackered after an hour.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1385 on: March 05, 2021, 12:40:19 AM »
What does this player offer and what is he? Is it that he just works Ard? Because he does little or nothing to affect game. He's out on wing but his natural instinct on counter attack is to play either a square or backwards pass at no time does he attempt to skin a defender. I personally think he's in team just to protect Townsend at full back which is a slight on Connor. Some have suggested that last night was one of his better performances, well the bar must have been set fairly low. inebriated right off that he hasn't got the football nouse to anticipate a Gallagher effort a cross goal in second half. Needs to be nowhere near first team, just isn't good enough.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1386 on: March 05, 2021, 07:18:35 AM »
Matt Phillips is a waste of a shirt.
Hope the end of season taxi is booked for him and the other waste of spaces.

West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1387 on: March 05, 2021, 02:10:15 PM »
What does this player offer and what is he? Is it that he just works Ard? Because he does little or nothing to affect game. He's out on wing but his natural instinct on counter attack is to play either a square or backwards pass at no time does he attempt to skin a defender. I personally think he's in team just to protect Townsend at full back which is a slight on Connor. Some have suggested that last night was one of his better performances, well the bar must have been set fairly low. inebriated right off that he hasn't got the football nouse to anticipate a Gallagher effort a cross goal in second half. Needs to be nowhere near first team, just isn't good enough.
Thought he was one of our better players last night. Can't agree that he never tries to beat a defender. He doesn't get around the outside of defenders as much as he should, but then who else in Albion colours does?  He's still getting in crosses which is one of his main jobs, and is helping to give cover for Townsend. As for scoring, he's got a decent record since he's been with us. However, he has a problem lasting much more than 60 minutes, but that's why we have squads.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1388 on: March 05, 2021, 05:18:14 PM »
Thought he was one of our better players last night. Can't agree that he never tries to beat a defender. He doesn't get around the outside of defenders as much as he should, but then who else in Albion colours does?  He's still getting in crosses which is one of his main jobs, and is helping to give cover for Townsend. As for scoring, he's got a decent record since he's been with us. However, he has a problem lasting much more than 60 minutes, but that's why we have squads.
I must have been watching a different player, bloke the one I was watch had blue and white stripes on and was out on left wing. Passed ball back continually when we were breaking and I for one never saw him get to byline and put in cross. As for being one of our better player's don't think so.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1389 on: March 05, 2021, 07:24:32 PM »
I’m with you. He is not good enough. Might have at least tried in the last couple of games but that’s a given. What positive impact did he have?

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1390 on: March 13, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »
Get him working hard bit but Phillips is exactly why this club has gone backwards , bottles it every instance  when we really need something . Yesterdays man like a few others including H.R.K , you look back and see the likes of Brunt and Mozza and realise we are left with the dregs from that era and we keep giving them new contracts despite them getting worse .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1391 on: March 13, 2021, 05:35:52 PM »
That miss last week against Newcastle from point blank range still winds me up. He shouldn't be in the side, better players like Grosicki not even in the 16.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1392 on: March 13, 2021, 05:36:54 PM »
That miss last week against Newcastle from point blank range still winds me up. He shouldn't be in the side, better players like Grosicki not even in the 16.

Totally forgot we had Grosicki. 40k PW for nothing. Dowling strikes again

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1393 on: March 13, 2021, 05:38:27 PM »
Totally forgot we had Grosicki. 40k PW for nothing. Dowling strikes again
Don't forget the hefty pay increase after so many games .

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1394 on: March 13, 2021, 05:39:20 PM »
That volley in second half and side foot from outside box sums up his foot ball abilities. Limited to say least and we have him for another season to put in his usual pee poor performances.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1395 on: March 13, 2021, 05:39:28 PM »
He works hard off the ball but his quality in the final third is shocking. Take a touch on to his right foot, then back to his left then on to his right again before a rubbish delivery is how it usually goes. How any striker is able to time a run when Phillips has the ball is a mystery to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1396 on: March 13, 2021, 05:39:55 PM »
Don't forget the hefty pay increase after so many games .

Thought that put him onto 40?! If it's more then good lord. If this is Dowlings answer to short term problems then God help us in the summer when he gets to shape our long term future

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1397 on: March 13, 2021, 05:40:50 PM »
He works hard off the ball but his quality in the final third is shocking. Take a touch on to his right foot, then back to his left then on to his right again before a rubbish delivery is how it usually goes. How any striker is able to time a run when Phillips has the ball is a mystery to me.
He'll con another manager in the Summer , he's not the only one .
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:20:20 AM by Dexy »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1398 on: March 14, 2021, 08:18:29 AM »
I can only assume he will be given a new deal due to not wanting to add to the summer upheaval  ::)

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1399 on: March 14, 2021, 08:23:13 AM »
I can only assume he will be given a new deal due to not wanting to add to the summer upheaval  ::)
Love it!
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride