Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 410828 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1350 on: July 17, 2020, 11:20:00 PM »
It’s difficult to understand what can have happened that he is so bad, he must be ok in training as he keeps making the squad but why can’t he even look half fit or motivated on match day? Bizarre to me
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1351 on: July 17, 2020, 11:21:20 PM »
For some reason he can only perform a third of a season. He used up all his good performances at the start of this season. I don't know why that is but it's true.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1352 on: July 17, 2020, 11:23:46 PM »
He needs selling, same as Gibbs. Yesterdays men on big money and giving nowhere near enough in return.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1353 on: July 17, 2020, 11:25:44 PM »
He seems to have lost the ability to run which makes no sense

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1354 on: July 17, 2020, 11:35:42 PM »
Bottler

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1355 on: July 18, 2020, 01:26:25 AM »
Has to go in the summer. I never want to see him play for this club again

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1356 on: July 18, 2020, 01:37:58 AM »
His race is run. Has got gradually worse for us. We had our money out of him I can't believe he got a new deal. He has been awful since the return after covid19 break and was pretty pants before it after xmas.

How we going to offload him?
O Albion we love you

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1357 on: July 18, 2020, 01:44:35 AM »
His race is run. Has got gradually worse for us. We had our money out of him I can't believe he got a new deal. He has been awful since the return after covid19 break and was pretty pants before it after xmas.

How we going to offload him?

Put him down like a sick horse possibly?
In all seriousness I don't know I can't see anyone being stupid enough to take him. Nobody that does a sensible amount of scouting on him anyway.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1358 on: September 27, 2020, 12:04:45 PM »
He needs to go and get a nice 2 or 3 year contract at a lower champ or even L1 club where his little touches of class between standing around puffing will be appreciated.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1359 on: September 27, 2020, 12:24:39 PM »
Backup option now and no more, can fill in at right wing back if we persist with this formation, Furlong currently our option there.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1360 on: September 27, 2020, 12:29:29 PM »
Backup option now and no more, can fill in at right wing back if we persist with this formation, Furlong currently our option there.
Disagree , the guy needs to leave.

RWB
Furlong
Oshea
Diangana

All better(Some not perfect) options than Phillips At RWB ...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1361 on: September 27, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »
Disagree , the guy needs to leave.

RWB
Furlong
Oshea
Diangana

All better(Some not perfect) options than Phillips At RWB ...

Agreed. This guy, once a useful player at this level, is now a complete waste of a salary and a large salary at that.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1362 on: December 27, 2020, 06:57:03 PM »
I thought he was finished tbh. Hes put in some decent shifts recently and was suprised to see him captain today. But fair play good shift tonight well done Matty

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1363 on: December 27, 2020, 06:57:59 PM »
I thought he was finished tbh. Hes put in some decent shifts recently and was suprised to see him captain today. But fair play good shift tonight well done Matty

Had a good game today in a position unfamiliar to him.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1364 on: December 27, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »

Phillips does this. He gives you about ten decent performances in a season then turns into a liability for the rest of the time. Hes putting in a shift at the moment and worked hard off the ball tonight. Worth persevering with whilst hes having his good spell.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1365 on: December 27, 2020, 07:26:49 PM »
Phillips does this. He gives you about ten decent performances in a season then turns into a liability for the rest of the time. Hes putting in a shift at the moment and worked hard off the ball tonight. Worth persevering with whilst hes having his good spell.

This is very true. His career with us consists of the odd good run of games followed by a longer run of very poor displays. Would still like to see him moved out if possible.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1366 on: December 27, 2020, 07:47:07 PM »
This is very true. His career with us consists of the odd good run of games followed by a longer run of very poor displays. Would still like to see him moved out if possible.

Yep.  There were times in the Championship under Slav when he was unplayable....a monster.  Also times when he looked leaden and unable to play....a fat chuffer.   Go figure??

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1367 on: December 27, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »
I don't recall him ever looking unplayable, unless we are going right back to some earlier games under Pulis. Most of the time he is breathing like he's just run a marathon. I didn't notice him too much today, he's lucky IMV to keep his place. Another one that will coast along unless you have manager willing to crack the whip.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1368 on: December 27, 2020, 08:11:52 PM »
I don't recall him ever looking unplayable, unless we are going right back to some earlier games under Pulis. Most of the time he is breathing like he's just run a marathon. I didn't notice him too much today, he's lucky IMV to keep his place. Another one that will coast along unless you have manager willing to crack the whip.
Don't imagine SA allowing too many players to coast along.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1369 on: December 27, 2020, 11:07:20 PM »
Could be the prospect of a transfer window had just dawned on him,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1370 on: December 28, 2020, 01:39:24 PM »
I'm pleased for Matt that he's looking more effective in the role SA has mapped out for him. Coming through from midfield to get shots in, because he is best running onto the ball than trying to trick his way past a full back from a standing position.  Shame that he didn't shoot late on yesterday instead of passing, because we've seen he has a good and clinical shot. Might be a confidence thing.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1371 on: December 28, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
I'm pleased for Matt that he's looking more effective in the role SA has mapped out for him. Coming through from midfield to get shots in, because he is best running onto the ball than trying to trick his way past a full back from a standing position.  Shame that he didn't shoot late on yesterday instead of passing, because we've seen he has a good and clinical shot. Might be a confidence thing.

He was offside, but I daresay it was because he didn't fancy it from a tight angle on his left foot
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #1372 on: December 28, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »

I must admit ive not been a massive Phillips fan think his confidence is an issue when played out wide, but must admit Big Dave I believe first tried him in the middle and he had a nice little run in that position during 2018/18 season where he was quite effective.

His build and as you say coming onto the ball from a central position is far more suited to his game now and due to constantly being involved should help his confidence.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1373 on: February 03, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
Mention for Matty, not only for being on the spot to score, but his all round game was good. It was his cross as well which set up Robinson's near miss. I still think he is a useful option for the manager to have up his sleeve. 

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1374 on: February 03, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »
Mention for Matty, not only for being on the spot to score, but his all round game was good. It was his cross as well which set up Robinson's near miss. I still think he is a useful option for the manager to have up his sleeve.

He's second to everything, his legs have gone and he's useless at most things. Sheffield Utd destroyed our so called midfield last night, ran rings around us. Phillips is well past it, and is another player who if released on a bosman would not be able to command his current salary elsewhere.