Author Topic: Matty Phillips  (Read 406818 times)

tex

• Youth Baggie

Re: Matty Phillips
« Reply #1150 on: July 30, 2019, 12:45:41 PM »
Why on earth would we sell? We are already light in the attacking department and he is an impact player.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1151 on: July 30, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
Why on earth would we sell? We are already light in the attacking department and he is an impact player.

£££££'s
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1152 on: July 30, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
Get Perreira and Lowe in. Think with Phillips is, he may play 25-30 times but 10 of those games are usually between injuries and when he's trying and failing to come back.

Don't get me wrong, if we guaranteed 75% football at 100% i'd say no way to this, but if we can replace him with a younger, fitter version then i'm all ears.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1153 on: July 30, 2019, 01:18:35 PM »
Villa have got Jota, El Gazi, Trezeguet and Green and arguably Kodja all vying for places out wide. I also expect to see Grealish pushed further forward this season with all of the acquisitions made in midfield so don't see there being much truth in this.

Re Phillips, as ever, I am happy to let any player go as long as they are adequately replaced. At his age, with his injury record allied to the fact that pacy wingers regress quicker than other positions as well as his contract situation, I wouldn't mind cashing in. That said, we are lacking a starting winger currently, selling Phillips means we would require 2 and there isn't long left in the window.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1154 on: July 30, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »
Hope this is a non-starter. We would need to find another striker in the next 10 days, in addition to the one we've been struggling to find for the last month. But it would be a bad move for Phillips as well. Villa have 11 new signings already this window, so good chance he would spend much of the season on the bench.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:22:34 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1155 on: July 30, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
Could mean we are closer to pereira deal than we thought.
But then again we would need another wide player on top.

Tough one really, when fit one of best in league but a big ‘when’
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1156 on: July 30, 2019, 01:34:33 PM »
Said it in the pre-season, on his day he's great and I wouldn't doubt his attitude either. However, his injury problems are clear and always have been. Usually he's out in spells but it takes at least 3 games or so for him to get up and running again, a bit like Morrison used to I suppose.
I would sell him for the right price, it makes you wonder if the likes of Kodija would be involved?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2019, 01:46:01 PM »
I'd be open to a deal providing the price is right and allows for a replacement.

Phillips has always looked a stand out player for us but when you consider that our midfield in previous years has been so pedestrian and one dimensional then it probably safe to say that perceptions of him have been raised

He is approaching the end of his peak years, suffers with consistent injury problems throughout the course of a season and if truth be told, we're probably moving away from the "beat your man and cross the ball", tony Pulis approach.

If this creates funds to sign a player or two whom will be available for the majority of the season & continue to reduce the overall age of the squad then I would consider it

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1158 on: July 30, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »
No qualms from me if he goes as long as we get a BETTER replacement. ::)
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1159 on: July 30, 2019, 01:57:50 PM »
No qualms from me if he goes as long as we get a BETTER replacement. ::)

Agreed, but easier said than done!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1160 on: July 30, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »
I'd be open to a deal providing the price is right and allows for a replacement.

Phillips has always looked a stand out player for us but when you consider that our midfield in previous years has been so pedestrian and one dimensional then it probably safe to say that perceptions of him have been raised

He is approaching the end of his peak years, suffers with consistent injury problems throughout the course of a season and if truth be told, we're probably moving away from the "beat your man and cross the ball", tony Pulis approach.

If this creates funds to sign a player or two whom will be available for the majority of the season & continue to reduce the overall age of the squad then I would consider it

That way of creating goalchances will never dissapear, Pulis or not.
He also has a respectable goalscoring record from midfield, which is badly needed.
I don't understand this mentality of wanting to get rid of our best players, and then  sweating later  if we are going to get in better replacements before the window closes.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1161 on: July 30, 2019, 02:58:59 PM »
agreed , he his a great player on his day and we need him.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1162 on: July 30, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
I doubt there's anything in this, the website "FootballInsider" doesn't seem at all a reliable source and the guy reporting the rumour judging by his twitter feed seems pretty unreliable. All his own work is just transfer links across the country, easy clicks.

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1163 on: July 30, 2019, 03:48:10 PM »
I think we should keep him, if he does go it should be to enable an incoming better player, nothing less.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1164 on: July 30, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
That way of creating goalchances will never dissapear, Pulis or not.
He also has a respectable goalscoring record from midfield, which is badly needed.
I don't understand this mentality of wanting to get rid of our best players, and then  sweating later  if we are going to get in better replacements before the window closes.
Remember getting dumped as a kid and saying "Go then, I'm not bothered anyway, ya tits am too small", then crying yourself to sleep?
Well, it's  a bit like that.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1165 on: July 30, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
Matty has quality stamped all over him, shame that that quality is to fragile.
Similar to Morrison for his last 2 seasons or so, on their day match winners
i would sell him for sure

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1166 on: July 30, 2019, 05:49:13 PM »
I think it was fergie who said I wouldn't give that lot a virus when referring to helping Liverpool, or something similar, and I would subscribe to that normally when it comes to the dark side.

However, I would make an exception for MP, as he isn't reliable and therefore if it is a big fee I would sell him then in the hope he would be there sick boy, but given he only has a year left I think with us I doubt we would the big fee which should be between £15-£20m, if Maguire is £80m and Lewis Dunk £45m.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1167 on: July 30, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
All depends on the fee. Can't see Villa stumping up anymore than £5 million for Phillips and with the transfer window closing in around about 9 days, and us already needing 1 winger and striker, i'm not sure if I trust our recruitment department to get the right deals over the line.

I personally like Phillips, as most on here do, but he isn't much more than a bottom 5 prem player and he is replaceable, especially as he blows hot and cold and has a poor injury record. If the club were to have good replacements lined up (so 2 wingers) then i'd get it for the right fee. I don't believe Villa will go for him though.
Boing Boing

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1168 on: July 30, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »
Sheffield united and Brighton now being linked.

🇬🇧📰 | #WBA

Sheffield United and Brighton have made approaches to sign Matt Phillips.

The Prem duo are keen on capturing the winger before the window closes.

Phillips has one year left on his contract and is showing no sign of committing to a new one.

[@SportsPeteO]

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1169 on: July 30, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
WOuld be mad to sell him unless we have a replacement lined up.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1170 on: July 30, 2019, 07:48:17 PM »
It's a no from me unless it's 8 figures.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1171 on: July 30, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
I year left on his contract, high earner, 29 years of age. Any bid of 5 or 6 million and I think we will let him go tbh.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1172 on: July 30, 2019, 08:32:16 PM »
It's a no from me unless it's 8 figures.

With his injury record, age and contract length then that will be 100& no then, i can't see us recouping that much.

He is worth that to us - but not to others.

Like i've said, if we can get 75% of the season out of him at full capacity then he's top draw for us.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1173 on: July 30, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
With his injury record, age and contract length then that will be 100& no then, i can't see us recouping that much.

He is worth that to us - but not to others.

Like i've said, if we can get 75% of the season out of him at full capacity then he's top draw for us.
But we can’t
Getting old now for a winger that relies on pace
One year left,too many injuries means he’s costing basically double his wage (for the frequency he plays) and takes far too long to get up to speed when returning..
Bottled many challenges too
5-7m I’d be packing his bags
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1174 on: July 30, 2019, 09:01:46 PM »
If someone offers decent money then I’d let him go and put the money toward getting Gayle in. We already have a great winger in Edwards and as people have said we really don't see a lot of Philips throughout the season due to his injury record. And if we get Matheus Pereira then we will be a real threat on the counter