Author Topic: While we have been gone  (Read 33297 times)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

While we have been gone
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
Roberto Di Matteo has been replaced as Head Coach by Roy Hodgson.

Good choice in my opinion, experience of this situation and hopefully will help us in the right direction starting on Sunday.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TaffieBaggie

Re: While we have been gone
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
Missed the site especially at such an important stage of the season and recent events.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:29:20 AM by TaffieBaggie »

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »
thank god dot com is back, that footymad forum was doing my head in!

My favored appointment in Roy, hopefully he can make us much more solid at the back!

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:09:42 PM »
Good appointment.

Hopefully we will stay up but if we don't it looks like he will stay on in which is good news.

Morany

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:09 PM »
Great appointment, we really do need experience, and he likes to build from the back, keep clean sheets and we will stay up. The goals are there, just need to stay solid at the back

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
I really want to believe this is a good appointment, but I have read so many bad things about Hodgson's methods and style that I don't think I have ever been more concerned about a new manager.
I understand he is there to do a job - to keep us up.
But I'm concerned that his arrival will signal a shift of emphasis from attractive, positive, possession football, towards style where the business of survival is more important than entertainment.
He was universally despised at Liverpool due to this.
Did I also read that he didn't achieve a single away win in two years managing in Italy?
He doesn't even talk a good game.
In his first press conference he expressed his concerns that we weren't good enough to stay up.
Of course we must all give him and our team 100% support in the coming games - games that might determine our future for years to come.
But if he changes our style and the results don't come, then he will be hounded within weeks.

baggieheart

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:17:01 PM »
Was the outstanding candiate for me.

Didn't think we would get him but glad he is here.

I expect him to stay for his contract only with perhaps Appleton taking over afterwards.

fentbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
Good choice - a man that's done this exact job before and made a success of his team.

I think he'll see what needs addressing and try and sort it as well as he can, but it's still down to the players getting their act together.

Sunday is a big, big game, let's see what we think in 6 weeks time...

Welcome back by the way - it's been like losing a right arm!
The Black Country (and Birmingham) is ours.....

wbatillidie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:40 PM »
Very surprised we got him to be honest. Expected a low cost candidate such as Hughton but a very good appointment IMO.
"You'll never get past Claudio"

westbrom4ever

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:28:37 PM »
Will be interesting to see how he does, he likes to play with a big man up top and 2 banks of four at the back. We don't really have the personnel to make that work. Good luck to him.

Red Stripe

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:16 PM »
To be honest I liked RDM and I still think he'll be a successful manager.

Now, Roy..  Ok, as a Stokie - I don't like him but he did a brilliant job at Fulham, I hope he can replicate that for you (including finishing below Stoke!)..

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
very happy with Hodgson, if he can do to us what he did for Fulham i will be a very happy chappy, besides he tried to buy all our players when he was at Fulham... he must love us.

Cunningham

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
Hodgson wasn't my choice at all I wanted Jol or Hughton. I was perfectly happy when Hughton was 1/20 with the bookmakers, within no time we appointed Hodgson who like McLaren is a "never was" apart from one good season with Fulham. Can see this all going wrong.  ::)

Cunningham

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:05 AM »
I really want to believe this is a good appointment, but I have read so many bad things about Hodgson's methods and style that I don't think I have ever been more concerned about a new manager.
I understand he is there to do a job - to keep us up.
But I'm concerned that his arrival will signal a shift of emphasis from attractive, positive, possession football, towards style where the business of survival is more important than entertainment.
He was universally despised at Liverpool due to this.
Did I also read that he didn't achieve a single away win in two years managing in Italy?
In his first press conference he expressed his concerns that we weren't good enough to stay up.
Of course we must all give him and our team 100% support in the coming games - games that might determine our future for years to come.
But if he changes our style and the results don't come, then he will be hounded within weeks.

Hodgsons away record at his last two clubs was something like 1 in 5 which is shocking considering the relative success he had in that one season at Fulham.

I agree that whatever we think of him he's here now and we have to support him.

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 12:24:55 AM »

Seems like he knows his stuff here:

http://en.uefa.com/trainingground/tactics/formations/video/videoid=519235.html?autoplay=true

As others have said he was the outstanding candidate for me, let's hope I can still say that in 2 months time.

Dubya BA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »
Anyone see this: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2011/02/17/di-matteo-out-hodgson-in-baggies-have-traded-a-blu-ray-player-for-a-betamax-55578-28191597/

I Think it is going too far myself. Hodgson is not as obselete as betamax but I still haven't got over us losing de Matteo (HD quality rather than DVD though) but hey as PB says we have to get behind the new boss.

So come on Roy-you are a Baggie now! If we win on Sunday he will become an instant hit.
Get it right because I will expose your mistakes and I will pull no punches! (although I will apologise if I get it wrong myself). DubyaBA

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 12:36:15 AM »
Welcome back .com.

Hodgson is a fantastic addition and I hope he proves himself again. If he keeps us up as a result the great. Welcome to the club Roy!

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
Delighted by the appointment of Hodgson (the best choice imo)

Devastated by our collapse against West Ham, dreading the Wolves game now. :'(

clemsleftfoot

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 12:44:27 AM »
Totally peeded off with this appointment i got a feeling theres is going to be alot of booing sunday afternoon.
gawd help us.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 12:53:46 AM »
Why will there be booing ?

New manager deserves time and not booing before he starts especially against the dingles.

RDM had not stopped the rot, didn't appear to have any idea how to or was too stubborn to change.

New man coming in deserves time and patience as he tries to sort out the leaky defence which didn't stop leaking goals despite changing the keeper and also the return of Olsson as many predicted the changes would do.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

wbastrollers

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 01:28:28 AM »
There was no doubt that RDM could not solve our defensive probs-RH if nothing else knows how to organise a defense.

O.K we will lose some of our attacking capabilities, however imo we would not have survived leaking on average 2 goals a game!

MulumbuPower!

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »
Was really happy about Hodgson but I'm becoming more and more nervous and I don't know why....
I think its because he's first game is the Derby. Lets hope he can do a Mowbray.
I'd like to apologise for my spelling and grammar. I post from my phone.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28:58 AM »
Just got to give him a chance and see what he can do.
I dont think there will be too many complaints if he replicates here what he did at Fulham.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 07:19:25 AM »
First well done to all at .com on getting the site back up and running  :D
Sorry to see RDM kicked out the door but that's footy,
out of the managers available to us at that time my top 3 was Jol,Hughtonn or Hogson so to get Hogson is good by me  :D
The future on whether we stay up is still in our own hands so lets stay positive starting Sunday with a great 3 points against the dog heads.

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
Totally peeded off with this appointment i got a feeling theres is going to be alot of booing sunday afternoon.
gawd help us.

Booing for Hodgson? ??? Who did people expect us to bring in? I honestly feel he's a fantastic appointment given the position we are in. Eactly the sort of experienced head we need. He will get us organised and make us harder to beat without compromising our footballing philosophy. Just a shame he's not taken the reigns with us 2 points better off after that shambolic second half display last week....
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali