Author Topic: 24 Aug 2018 Middlesbrough 1 Albion 0  (Read 60540 times)

graka

• Senior Baggie

Re: Pre Match Chat
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »
You have got to fancy Aden flint to score from a corner the way we have conceded from crosses and set pieces.
Hopefully our front 4 are as ruthless as last week. I'd take a draw now.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2018, 11:56:44 PM »
Fek 'em.

COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 07:22:59 AM »
please make my weekend sweet Albion. god how i would love to get one over him
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Match Officials
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 07:52:26 AM »
Referee: John Brooks
Assistant Referee: Philip Dermott
Assistant Referee: Akil Howson
Fourth Official: Peter Bankes
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
I'm going to the game with the pessimistic view that we will lose 1-0 to a sweaty set piece.

If we get anything else from it then it will be a bonus for me.

Inside of course I want us to demolish them with some good attacking football. COYB

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2018, 01:28:40 PM »
Tounge in cheek sarcasm? Surely? Pulis was about as predictable as the sun rising in the east

You reckon?

So players who were allegedly injured & then remarkably played, & predicted defensive formations which turned out to be attacking, were predictable?

The bloke couldn't lay straight in bed.

I wouldn't take anything for granted with Pulis.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2018, 01:32:15 PM »
You reckon?

So players who were allegedly injured & then remarkably played, & predicted defensive formations which turned out to be attacking, were predictable?

The bloke couldn't lay straight in bed.

I wouldn't take anything for granted with Pulis.
very rarely did the formative n of the actual players change from game to game while with us, he lies about everything but in terms of his tactics he’s remarkably one dimensional.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
I used to feel like this whenever we played Stoke...always bloody beat us though!
It still rankles with me when Pulis's Stoke beat us 1-0 at The Hawthorns some years back without Stoke having had a single shot on target. Their goal was a farcical own goal close to the end. It was a terrible game with Stoke playing true to (Pulis) type. I can't actually remember the last time we beat a side managed by Pulis, so I'm desperate for us to do it on Friday.

I think it would be a mistake to try to play Boro at their own game though. Let's play to our strengths and see what comes from it. We'll certainly have to defend better at set-pieces than we have been though - Pulis will be well aware of our struggles in that regard. They also have a long throw merchant (Shotton is it?).

Nothing will give me more pleasure than if we win this game.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2018, 01:41:24 PM »
I think we would be best going there with the intention to hit them on the break, they will be very cautious of our front 4 (even more so after last weekend), if we allow them to have the ball and ask them to create something and look to pounce.

On a different note, does anyone know how the Boro fans feel about Pulis? Saw a few groans on twitter back end of last year about his style of play etc etc, but they currently sit top of the table - are the boro fans happy with him?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »
I'm going into this match as good over evil.
Expansive exciting attacking Dave versus anti football defensive boring Pulis.
Good will overcome,have faith.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »
It still rankles with me when Pulis's Stoke beat us 1-0 at The Hawthorns some years back without Stoke having had a single shot on target. Their goal was a farcical own goal close to the end. It was a terrible game with Stoke playing true to (Pulis) type. I can't actually remember the last time we beat a side managed by Pulis, so I'm desperate for us to do it on Friday.

I think it would be a mistake to try to play Boro at their own game though. Let's play to our strengths and see what comes from it. We'll certainly have to defend better at set-pieces than we have been though - Pulis will be well aware of our struggles in that regard. They also have a long throw merchant (Shotton is it?).

Nothing will give me more pleasure than if we win this game.
Yeah I remember after we'd won the 1st Stoke game with Pulis as our manager, I overheard a couple of Stoke fans muttering 'you know we are never going to beat this lot again'. We'll hope for the best Friday.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
I'm going into this match as good over evil.
Expansive exciting attacking Dave versus anti football defensive boring Pulis.
Good will overcome,have faith.

Ha, ha, I know exactly what you're coming from. In truth either can win at different times, but I think a really top side playing expansive attacking football, such as Barcelona, or Ajax back in their day, is pretty much invincible.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
we will win the players will want to show Pulis what they can do when not defending . 2-0 .

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
I think the way to beat a Pulis team is give them possession of the ball. How many times did we look completely clueless under him when teams sat off us and let us pass it around. I think he trains his players to sit in the defensive shape and play out from that, when his teams all of a sudden have to break someone down as we saw on plenty of occasions he hasn’t got a clue how to do it.

First goal is also key if it goes to them we know we’re in for how ever many minutes of sheer frustration whilst his team sit deeper & deeper getting the blocks and headers in, if we get the first then we make him resort to having to play more attacking football which isn’t in his vocabulary.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »
Confident our front 4 will out gun them,not so sure about our defence though so I go 2/3 to us hopefully

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2018, 12:17:06 AM »
Just don't give away cheap free kicks and corners against them. We know pulis teams not particularly comfy with the ball. The onus is on them to attack as they will be at home.

I think our counter attacking play has looked frightening hit them hard with that and make sure we score first and I am confident we can win.

Having said that now I would happily take a point. Promotions are seldom won in August.....
O Albion we love you

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2018, 02:23:41 AM »
Just don't give away cheap free kicks and corners against them. We know pulis teams not particularly comfy with the ball. The onus is on them to attack as they will be at home.

I think our counter attacking play has looked frightening hit them hard with that and make sure we score first and I am confident we can win.

Having said that now I would happily take a point. Promotions are seldom won in August.....
I’d go further, and state no English football team has been promoted in August. ☺️
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2018, 04:18:27 AM »
He will be wanting to prove a point (well three) but then I am sure so will the players.

We are a different team since Pulis had his strangle hold on us.

In Big Dave We Trust.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2018, 08:22:56 AM »
Dawson back in the team to deal with balls into the penalty area and to offer something different from set pieces would be a massive help to us.

They'll be everything we were under Pulis. We'll have lots of possession and their midfield will work hard against us. It's up to us to produce enough quality to break them down.

I'd take 0-0.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2018, 08:38:46 AM »
I’d go further, and state no English football team has been promoted in August. ☺️

Depends how you define promotion. Is a team promoted before they begin to play at a higher level? ...they may win a promotion in May but the actual process of promotion doesn't arguably start until they begin the next season at a higher level. If you get promoted at work your promotion hasn't started until you begin your new role.
So it could be argued that some English football teams are promoted in August.

Anyway back to the topic!
 I'd be happy with a draw but I think we can beat Boro, they've not really played anyone decent yet (Forest apart neither have we) so we'll be their first real test. They have been scoring a few goals though and not surprisingly not conceding many (although Notts county scored 3 in the CC). I would expect set pieces to be their biggest threat.

Agree with Dave WBA that having Dawson back in the defence would be a help (providing he is up for it).

I think with our front 4 getting stronger game by game we can certainly give them plenty to worry about.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:06:20 AM by Hull Baggie »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:01 AM »
A point away at a 'promotion rival' wouldn't be the end of the world.

3 points would be amazing and really send out a statement to the league that we are looking to win it.

No games are guaranteed in this league and we have already seen anyone can beat anyone, as long as we go there, put in a performance and most importantly 'play football' then I believe we can come away with something.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
Just had a look at Boro formations this season in the league and they have mainly played a 4-3-3 apart from the game against Blues when they went 3-1-4-2.
More attacking formations from Pulis, which suggests to me that he knows he has to get promotion this season.
The game might be more open than we expect, which could play into our hands if the midfield can get a grip of the game.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2018, 09:35:24 AM »
Just had a look at Boro formations this season in the league and they have mainly played a 4-3-3 apart from the game against Blues when they went 3-1-4-2.
More attacking formations from Pulis, which suggests to me that he knows he has to get promotion this season.
The game might be more open than we expect, which could play into our hands if the midfield can get a grip of the game.

4-5-1 really thought isn't it. We all know that. He also seems to have thrown in a couple of youngsters.

They're no world beaters and if Barnes, Rodriguez, Phillips and Gayle keep their momentum we'll give them a decent game.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
Without a recognised right back, Pulis will keep sending his troops down there and those crosses will hurt.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »
4-5-1 really thought isn't it. We all know that. He also seems to have thrown in a couple of youngsters.

They're no world beaters and if Barnes, Rodriguez, Phillips and Gayle keep their momentum we'll give them a decent game.

Not necessarily. I think the change in formations is due to the fact that the pressure for him has changed. As someone said last week his remit this season is promotion from the Championship rather than keeping a side in the Premiership so you'd imagine he'd be more inclined to go for the win rather than not lose?