Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 360908 times)

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1275 on: December 11, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »
So it's Jay's turn to be the scapegoat, a few weeks ago it was HRK I suppose if Gayle misses a couple it will be is turn next. Amazing considering that a player who  consistently misses chances and is not at our club this season is still getting praise on this forum.

It's not scapegoating if it's justified criticism. If Rodriguez was a better finisher, he'd have more goals and we'd have more points.

Robson-Kanu deserves all the stick he gets because he's not good enough for this club, and just working hard doesn't make up for it, but he hasn't been scapegoated at any point either.

Meanwhile Rondon is playing well for Newcastle, and would offer a different type of striker at this level - one with more physical presence, and perhaps a better foil for Gayle than the more lightweight Rodriguez.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1276 on: December 11, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
I think Rodriguez should have scored a few more but 10 in 21 games is very good. Yes 4 of them have been penalties but so what he still has to score them. I bet Afobe, Rhodes and Adams(?) wish they all had an extra goal in their scoring rates when they missed against us.

The way people talk about it you'd think all penalties are scored when in fact this season in the Championship 59 penalties have been awarded and 43 of them scored which is a 72.8% success rate.

Personally I'd be gutted if we let Rodriguez go in January as he offers plenty to the team apart from just goals. Also that would leave us one striker short so we'd have to get a replacement in, as well as a CM and possibly a RB.

Thanks, I've got that ta. The point was I think he should have converted more from open play given the quality of chances which have fallen his way, I really do. The start of your opening line "I think Rodriguez should have scored a few more....." alludes to us being in agreement there.

I only care what the forwards of other clubs do in regard to how it affects us, and so in that case I'm quite glad if they leave their shooting boots at home. But then I wasn't comparing him to others as I'm only concerned about his return for us. I appreciate there is more to Jay's game than goals (two assists and a lot of movement and running) and I haven't called for him to he be sold. I've just acknowledged that his goal return could be better, as have you.

If we sold him then frankly I'd be amazed were we to then part with much cash to bring in a replacement not to mention the reinforcements required elsewhere. And I repeat for anyone who is in doubt ('59  ;) ), I am not scapegoating him. I've just given an honest point of view regarding his return in proportion to the amount of decent chances which have been presented to him.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1277 on: December 11, 2018, 01:07:48 PM »
Considering the amount of easy chances we have created for him 10/21 including 6/21 from open play is very poor. He should be on at least 15 by now. Dwight Gayle has won him most of those penalties, notably J-Rod has not won any for Gayle. Our best striker clearly is DG, and it is madness for him to be playing left wing, get him up front in the middle and build the team around him. J-Rod can go on the left and run around like he does with his average end quality.

I agree Gayle is the better goalscorer of the two and he should be playing through the middle.

What I don't understand is the comments about Gayle winning the penalties for Rodriguez but Rodriguez not winning any for Gayle (Gayle isn't the penalty taker Rodriguez is), what has that got to do with anything? All that says to me is that Rodriguez plays in a more supportive role to Gayle.

Their stats are pretty similar too, Gayle has about 1 shot per goal less than Rodriguez and scores on average every 115 minutes compared to Rodriguez's 167 minutes, so not that much in it really.

https://www.fctables.com/players/dwight_gayle-230791/
https://www.fctables.com/players/jay_rodriguez-254852/
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1278 on: December 11, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »
Thanks, I've got that ta. The point was I think he should have converted more from open play given the quality of chances which have fallen his way, I really do. The start of your opening line "I think Rodriguez should have scored a few more....." alludes to us being in agreement there.

I only care what the forwards of other clubs do in regard to how it affects us, and so in that case I'm quite glad if they leave their shooting boots at home. But then I wasn't comparing him to others as I'm only concerned about his return for us. I appreciate there is more to Jay's game than goals (two assists and a lot of movement and running) and I haven't called for him to he be sold. I've just acknowledged that his goal return could be better, as have you.

If we sold him then frankly I'd be amazed were we to then part with much cash to bring in a replacement not to mention the reinforcements required elsewhere. And I repeat for anyone who is in doubt ('59  ;) ), I am not scapegoating him. I've just given an honest point of view regarding his return in proportion to the amount of decent chances which have been presented to him.

My post wasn't in response to yours hence why I didn't directly quote you :D but yes we agree that Rodriguez should have scored more goals given the chances he's had.

My general point is that Rodriguez is nowhere near as bad as he is being made out to be.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1279 on: December 11, 2018, 01:15:09 PM »
Something that hasn't really been mentioned in relation to Rodriguez is his work rate, defensive discipline and ability to drop deep. I am not saying that they are the first things you think about when discussing a central striker but Moore seems keen to leave our wide players high and for the centre forward position to drop in deep to help out the midfield - therefore Rodriguez is valuable as he fulfils this role well.

Like many, I do feel that we need to get Gayle in the team centrally and I agree that Rodriguez does not seem to be a 'killer' when it comes to finishing chances and that far too many have been missed, but I can appreciate his value. Perhaps there is a slightly more horses for courses approach that can be applied as to who is selected centrally out of the two. For games where we are likely to be dominant then I would have Gayle up there but for games like Friday, perhaps Rodriguez's willingness and ability to drop in deep and help the midfield would be more valuable from the start than Gayle.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1280 on: December 14, 2018, 11:00:17 PM »
Another non performance from Jrod, please Burnley come back in for him.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1281 on: December 14, 2018, 11:06:51 PM »
Another non performance from Jrod, please Burnley come back in for him.

Rather than your constant criticism about this player, maybe you could try and support him? He's a decent forward, as demonstrated in spells over the past couple of seasons, and with some renewed confidence could come good again for us.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1282 on: December 14, 2018, 11:38:05 PM »
Rather than your constant criticism about this player, maybe you could try and support him? He's a decent forward, as demonstrated in spells over the past couple of seasons, and with some renewed confidence could come good again for us.

Nice one, I'll send him a Xmas card and present, that will get him firing.

It's a wba forum and that's my opinion of him. I don't boo anyone at games, but that doesn't make me a happy clapper and I just don't see what you obviously do in Jrod.

Tell me one good thing he did tonight?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1283 on: December 15, 2018, 12:01:49 AM »

It's a wba forum and that's my opinion of him. I don't boo anyone at games, but that doesn't make me a happy clapper and I just don't see what you obviously do in Jrod.

Body swerve to beat his man, unfortunately instead of then slipping Gayle in 1 on 1 he blazed it into the stand from 30 yards. That was about it.

He's been really poor this year, the attacking version of Bartley, but it seems to be met with indifference by most of the fans.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1284 on: December 15, 2018, 05:21:46 AM »

Body swerve to beat his man, unfortunately instead of then slipping Gayle in 1 on 1 he blazed it into the stand from 30 yards. That was about it.

He's been really poor this year, the attacking version of Bartley, but it seems to be met with indifference by most of the fans.

Was a nice touch and turn but as you said the pass was on. Fortunately the 1 goal margin was enough
O Albion we love you

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1285 on: December 15, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »
I think he’s been excellent this year despite missing a few sitters. He was very poor last night though and I’d have taken him off and moved Phillips out to the right.

slate

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1286 on: December 15, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »

1) Excellent run to the near post, dragging the defender away to create space for Barry to equalise.

2) Kept his eye on the ball as Gibbs dropped in the winner.

3) 80% sure had boots on correct feet.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1287 on: December 15, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »
Gayle needs to start in the middle though and J-Rod should go out wide or be dropped for HRK.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1288 on: December 15, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »
Jrod should be wrapped in cotton wool and the prayers said got Burnley to come with a stupid bid for him.

Gibbs is close to Jrod for goals in open play I think.

Says it all imo.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1289 on: December 15, 2018, 01:59:36 PM »
Jrod should be wrapped in cotton wool and the prayers said got Burnley to come with a stupid bid for him.

Gibbs is close to Jrod for goals in open play I think.

Says it all imo.

He is not nearly as bad as some on here make out. Was poor last night but has had decent games too and always gives his all. If he goes to Burnley, who replaces him? We should maybe be careful about what we wish for.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1290 on: December 15, 2018, 02:51:14 PM »
He is not nearly as bad as some on here make out. Was poor last night but has had decent games too and always gives his all. If he goes to Burnley, who replaces him? We should maybe be careful about what we wish for.

Agreed. Many just love to find a negative on these forums these days. He's been excellent all season but like all players he has better days than others. Nobody seems to remember his great performance at home to Leeds setting up two goals with skilful and powerful runs.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1291 on: December 15, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »
He's not been "excellent" all season.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1292 on: December 15, 2018, 04:14:23 PM »
He's not been "excellent" all season.
I'd certainly give him a B+ for the season so far, he plays a role as asked in order to fit into an overall 11 man team system
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1293 on: December 15, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
Even that's generous. I'd say a C, alright, could do better.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1294 on: December 15, 2018, 04:26:27 PM »
The much maligned Rondon has 5 goals to his name in a more demanding league and having Miyazaki’s lot of games through injuries. Whereas JR has 6!
It’s not scapegoating the player to point out that his contribution in terms of goals is not what you would expect in a free scoring team!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1295 on: December 27, 2018, 12:15:52 AM »
I thought he was excellent yesterday. The goals are an obvious reason for my saying this but his work rate and general contribution were very good too. I do hope Gayle is not out for long because HRK is just not the answer, particularly in terms of goal scoring ability.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1296 on: December 27, 2018, 08:15:23 AM »
Thought his performance was consistent with the majority of performances this year. A couple of goals always helps but he always starts for me. He might mid place the odd pass and has missed a few sitters which of course is very frustrating, but I think he offers far more and his leadership and running power is essential for this side. If we lost him we would suffer badly. But hey, let’s have a pop at him anyway. It can’t do any harm, or can it?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1297 on: December 27, 2018, 09:56:01 AM »
I thought he had his best game of the season yesterday. He dropped deep, found space and used the ball well.Took his two goals really well.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1298 on: December 27, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
IF one were cynical,
One could say that an upturn in form coinciding with the transfer window being about to open may be more than a coincidence, BUT that is being over cynical perhaps.

Burnley are continuing to struggle and it seems Dyche (or Burnleys scouting network at least) have been a fan of Jay for a while, I would not be at all surprised to see them coming back with a tempting offer for Jay,

What do people think it would take to prise hm away in Jan??

personally i think anything over 15m and he is gone.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1299 on: December 27, 2018, 10:07:31 AM »
I have been critical of Jrod at times this year, mainly due to missed chances, and still think that ideally he needs an instinctive and natural finisher along side him  but he was superb all round yesterday.  As well as the goals his passing was very good with some slick link up play.  His work rate this year has been commendable and yesterday I remember him making a goal saving challenge as last man on our 6 yard line.