Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1131916 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #3225 on: April 10, 2018, 05:22:11 PM »
I was worried Rondon's clause might be less than that at around 8 - 10 million. £16m does give us something to work with after all. I recognise his qualities but his goal scoring record just isn't up there enough for the clause to be significantly higher.
That is your opinion, to which you are of course entitled, but the acid test will be  how much interest there is from Premiership clubs once we are relegated. Rondon is held in high esteem and there will be no shortage of clubs who will (correctly) believe that he is an absolute snip at 16 million.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3226 on: April 10, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »
That is your opinion, to which you are of course entitled, but the acid test will be  how much interest there is from Premiership clubs once we are relegated. Rondon is held in high esteem and there will be no shortage of clubs who will (correctly) believe that he is an absolute snip at 16 million.
Firstly, I'm not knocking the bloke at all. If the clause was say £25m, the top 6 aren't going to move for him, a lot of others will say hmm he'd be good for us but that's a lot of money given his goals record, wages and our budget. I could maybe see Everton and poss West Ham buying him for £20m - £25m. Other clubs will think it's a good deal at £16m but not an absolute snip.
Release clauses for anyone tend not to be set at the absolute maximum that the selling club could possibly get.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3227 on: April 10, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »
16.5 million release clause, if true, is ridiculously cheap for Rondon in today's market.

It is always interesting to consider the views of fans of other clubs. Reacting to the £16.5m release clause the following is posted in the comments on the dailymail article:

"Im also avaiable for that price and im sure Chelsea and co will be just as interested"
"Lira?"
"Cows backside and shovel spring to mind"
"At his age and with his goal scoring record, I highly doubt anybody will pay over £10m. There will be no profitable sell on possibility due to him approaching 30, and he hasn't exactly set the league alight with heaps of goals. Has a good attitude though so could be a bargain for somebody, only not at the price quoted here."
"I'd have him at West Ham. Could do OK with a bit better service than Barry and Livermore. It would be nice to get a number 9 in that mould who isn't constantly injured for the majority of the season (Carroll) and isn't a rubbish panic buy from Preston (Hugill). I' wouldn't give you any more than £6-8M for him though..."
"That seems a bit too high. West Brom are not in a position to barter and he's not a stellar player so clubs won't pay over the odds for him."
"Is that 16.5 pound?"
"A good player. Rarely gets injured, has an engine like an old Volvo, leaps like a fish and has been scoring goals in a poor WBA team in the PL for a number of years. Will prove a bargain."
"Cant hit a barn door....waste of money"

Those are all of the comments save for one from a bloke in Wolverhampton taking a cheap-shot at the club per se.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Played 115, scored 27: average of 8.92 goals per season in the premier league. For a 28 year old I'd be quite happy to get £16.5m for Rondon.

Backofthenet

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3228 on: April 10, 2018, 07:24:33 PM »
Agreed Baggie 82.
I think that is about the mark for him and the most he is worth. I agree it's each individual to assess what they think someone is worth but his record is not exactly great.
I admire his work ethic and he doesn't get injured but he seems to be seriously lacking in the goals department for a striker. If he were more adequate there, we may not be where we are now.

In all fairness I have little patience with some of these players who believe they are Premier League quality. If they were, they wouldn't be in a team due to be relegated and they should pay the price.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3229 on: April 10, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
I'd be happy if we get £16m for him, unlike others I don't think he'd get the goals we will need in a lower league, likeable as he is he's just a poor goalscorer.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3230 on: April 10, 2018, 08:37:50 PM »
Snip at £16.5 million. Clause is easily costing us 12 to 15 million pounds. Never mind, he wouldn't have stayed anyway. Far too good for 2nd tier football.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3231 on: April 10, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
Snip at £16.5 million. Clause is easily costing us 12 to 15 million pounds. Never mind, he wouldn't have stayed anyway. Far too good for 2nd tier football.
clause isn't costing us anything. we paid £12m for him so selling at £16.5m gives us a £4.5m profit. it's just supposition that anyone would pay an additional £12-15m for him.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3232 on: April 10, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
clause isn't costing us anything. we paid £12m for him so selling at £16.5m gives us a £4.5m profit. it's just supposition that anyone would pay an additional £12-15m for him.

Well that might cover football inflation over the last 3 years but I doubt it.

It's not supposition it's common sense.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3233 on: April 10, 2018, 11:51:48 PM »
I don't like these clauses almost regardless of the fee but at least the Rondon fee is not terrible given his age and length of contract.

Firstly the fact that relegation triggers the option is wrong because

a) it negates the 50% flex down clause in the contract the player is therefore not shouldering any of the risk for their individual and collective under performance.

b) It is at a point when the club needs every penny it can get from these sales rather than a somewhat reduced fee.

c) It undermines team unity and this is matter of principle if we are all in this together then either everyone has a soft route out or no one does.

Secondly in general release clauses.

a) Hand control of the negotiations to the player and his agent once the release clause is met the matter is entirely out of the clubs hands

b) The club cannot control when the release clause is triggered and if it is the 11th hour of the last day of the window well that is just tough, the only way to regain a modicum of control is to agree a discount to an already discounted fee.

No still hate these clauses and if any player won't join the club without one then they don't join it is really that simple.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3234 on: April 11, 2018, 07:34:32 AM »

Just about covers the loss on Mr Evans original fee when he leaves in the summer. However, makes no impact on the alleged £20m that we could have got for him last year.

Another poker hand folded by our board......
MAGA!

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3235 on: April 11, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »

Agreed, bargain in todays market,
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3236 on: April 11, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
I don't think this last season will have done anything to increase Rondon's value, if anything his poor finishing will reflect badly on his price.  £16.5m is about what I'd expect to get him for him anyway, with or without a clause.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3237 on: April 11, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
I don't think this last season will have done anything to increase Rondon's value, if anything his poor finishing will reflect badly on his price.  £16.5m is about what I'd expect to get him for him anyway, with or without a clause.

Christian Benteke cost twice that. Rondon is an absolute bargain at £16m.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3238 on: April 11, 2018, 12:36:01 PM »
Christian Benteke cost twice that. Rondon is an absolute bargain at £16m.

He's a 'smashing lad, works aarrrdddd' apparently.....:)
MAGA!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3239 on: April 11, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »

Why not? He's looked our best outfield player in a team where he has had no service.

vrabbit

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3240 on: April 11, 2018, 05:10:22 PM »

while Rondon hasn't set the world on fire this season, he accomplished something by having improved performances and numbers compared to last season (in which he had a good first half and an awful second half). The fact that his performances and numbers improved after the dinosaur's departure shows he is still very much an asset. I imagine more than one decision-maker will look at the season Rondon has put together without much help from behind him and feel they can get more out of him with more support. And this isn't to absolve him from his failures this season, he definitely has left goals out there, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

I've always thought if the club hadn't been so thin up front this season Rondon might have gotten moved. If he remains at the club next season it'll probably be because he wants to but I'll be shocked if a number of clubs don't try to activate that clause, because £16.5m for him in today's market is simply shrewd business.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3241 on: April 21, 2018, 02:28:02 PM »

Wow just watching rondons reactions at the end . He really is a dying breed of footballer. Actually gives a pooh. Really impressed with him throughout his career at Albion. Has had a hard task the majority of it up on his own. Yes i know he's missed some sitters but that's why he's at us and not a top 4 team. I can gaurantee come next season there will be at least 10 prem clubs that wouldn't mind having sol in therr squad.  Will hold him in high regard whatever happens

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3242 on: April 21, 2018, 02:43:18 PM »
If he goes for under 30 million it will be a crime...

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3243 on: April 21, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
Wow just watching rondons reactions at the end . He really is a dying breed of footballer. Actually gives a rubbish. Really impressed with him throughout his career at Albion. Has had a hard task the majority of it up on his own. Yes i know he's missed some sitters but that's why he's at us and not a top 4 team. I can guarantee come next season there will be at least 10 prem clubs that wouldn't mind having sol in therr squad.  Will hold him in high regard whatever happens
I watched that emotional scene too, he really cares about the club. We won't be 20th if more players have his attitude.
The PRIDE of midlands

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3244 on: April 21, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
Don't think it's viable to be bringing those wages down with us to be honest. Shame really as for me Evans and Chadli can do one anyway, the pole is on his way, so if we had stayed up the budget would have allowed for more quality. It's just a matter of who he goes to and what league

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3245 on: April 21, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »
Gave his shirt away and hugging the fans . What a differance a few months ago when 1st down the tunnel . Was great to see today.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3246 on: April 21, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »
Seemed to me as though he was waving goodbye to everyone. Also saw McClean I think looking like he was doing the same. Probably both be off in the summer.

Also, did anyone see Rondon hugging the eagerly waiting youngsters that were introduced to the ground at half time? That's what football is about.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3247 on: April 21, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »
Seemed to me as though he was waving goodbye to everyone. Also saw McClean I think looking like he was doing the same. Probably both be off in the summer.

I didn't see McClean, but I also though Rondon was saying goodbye.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3248 on: April 21, 2018, 05:32:56 PM »

Also, did anyone see Rondon hugging the eagerly waiting youngsters that were introduced to the ground at half time? That's what football is about.

Haven't we still got the Tottenham game at home to play though?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3249 on: April 21, 2018, 06:17:02 PM »
The guy is pure class, both as a footballer and, from all appearances, as a man. Equaled a Premier League record today, most times a player has scored in a season without being on the winning side (7). There will be a queue for him once the season ends. Wish there was some way we could persuade him to stay but I'm not too hopeful.