Author Topic: Salomon Rondon joins Dalian Yifang  (Read 1131955 times)

botters

• Youth Baggie

Re: Salomon Rondon
« Reply #3075 on: March 04, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
I am not sure he would even score many goals in the Championship as he doesn’t look to have the confidence that a good goalscorer needs. I watched highlights of Bristol City v Sheffield Wednesday yesterday and that Bobby Reid now there is a confident goalscorer. I think Rondon will probably go back to Spain as I dont think that he has really settled in this country. We need to sign a young hungry natural goalscorer like Reid who does not have the baggage that Rondon has.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3076 on: March 04, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
In the current climate it's absolutely ridiculous to give Rondon a hard time.  The team are playing poor, we aren't creating enough chances.  In a good creative team Rondon would easily get 12 - 15 goals a season.

Since pulis left we have been creating a lot chances up until the last few weeks anyway.

I can think off the top of my head stoke, spurs, Everton, Watford, Chelsea away when it was 1-0 and West Ham were Rondon has missed not just chances but absolutely game changing sitters.

His finishing abilities is up there with the worst strikers we've had and even the worse strikers we've had recently never had these chances that Rondon has missed.

Take finishing out and His overall game is good and you cannot knock him for effort, the bloke really shows he cares. But you can't get around the fact that he has cost us in a lot of games this season.

Theres various reasons we're going down  from pulis to pardew to not buying a striker in the summer ( which says it all really regards Rondon ) but rondons missed chances is one of them reasons

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3077 on: March 04, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
It comes down to a lack of investment in tthe playing staff and not having a decent enough striker to either partner him or push him on to keep his place.
Indeed and, in addition, it also means that he has to play almost every game and doesn't get chance to recharge his batteries.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3078 on: March 04, 2018, 09:58:39 AM »
Every striker misses chances i accept that, but if you look at a great striker Harry Kane he will miss 4or5 chances in a season but score 25+ however Rondon will  score 4  or 5 and miss 20+ that's the only way I can describe it!

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3079 on: March 04, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »
Indeed and, in addition, it also means that he has to play almost every game and doesn't get chance to recharge his batteries.
Well hasn't scored much early season in his time here or  returning when he was left out for HRK last season so I don't really subscribe to that theory. He's simply not a good finisher for all his other good points.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:24:01 AM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3080 on: March 04, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »
I also often question his choice making , genuine question in nearly three years how many assists has he got ?
I can think of one to Chadli against West Ham.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3081 on: March 04, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »
I also often question his choice making , genuine question in nearly three years how many assists has he got ?
I can think of one to Chadli against West Ham.
Genuine question, until recently,  how often has he had a player alongside him to assist?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3082 on: March 04, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
Genuine question, until recently,  how often has he had a player alongside him to assist?
Well those chances he missed this season are coming from somewhere arent they ?

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3083 on: March 04, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »
generally crosses tossed into the box or long balls. I can’t think of too many where he’s been slid in by a strike partner.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3084 on: March 04, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »
generally crosses tossed into the box or long balls. I can’t think of too many where he’s been slid in by a strike partner.
Picked out by Gibbs Yesterday , Phillips away at Spurs and the Everton 5 yarder. Played in by Brunt a lot this season yet doesnt test the keeper enough.
Back to the question , he does a lot of graft but how many assists has he got in three years ?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3085 on: March 04, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
I think VVV's question was more along the lines of "how often has he had a player alongside him for him (i.e Rondon) to provide assists to?".

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3086 on: March 04, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
I think VVV's question was more along the lines of "how often has he had a player alongside him for him (i.e Rondon) to provide assists to?".
Regardless , the chances have been there have they not ? . On the evidence of three years here and especially this season nobody can convince me Rondon is actually a good striker as such . Plenty of effort , great character but certainly not a good striker.

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3087 on: March 04, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
As the great bomber keeps on saying,great goal scorers hunt in pairs, where's Rondons strike partner? He ain't got one

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3088 on: March 04, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »
As the great bomber keeps on saying,great goal scorers hunt in pairs, where's Rondons strike partner? He ain't got one

Rodriguez who is actually our top goalscorer this season so you could actually turn around that question into where is Rodriguez' strike partner?

Just saying.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3089 on: March 04, 2018, 11:48:32 AM »
as a team we have become one dimensional, watched Burnley yesterday and their midfielders were playing through balls for the forwards to run into which is something we do very little of. yesterday we looked more like a Pulls team in the 1st half where Rondon was isolated and other players too slow to join the attack. how often do our players beat a man out wide to get themselves in the area? we create more chances now but it's still not enough which is why we can't afford strikers missing the chances that come their way. this squad was built to defend and it's main attribute to scoring was from set pieces and even that is restricted to corners these days, how often do we smack a free kick into the back of the net? after Liverpool i thought Pardew had found the formula to get us out this mess but we've looked nothing like that team since.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3090 on: March 04, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »

Rodriguez who is actually our top goalscorer this season so you could actually turn around that question into where is Rodriguez' strike partner?

Just saying.

Put Rodriguez in a one on one and I'd back him to score - same can't be said for Rondon.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3091 on: March 04, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
Put Rodriguez in a one on one and I'd back him to score - same can't be said for Rondon.
Interesting that
Put them both up for sale I think Rondon goes for twice as much.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3092 on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
For once I actually agree with the Match of the Day pundits. they said that he didn't have any support or anyone to head the ball on to, some of the midfield were 20 yards away when they needed to be within 10 yards to retrieve the ball.

Then there's the point about when he was breaking forward, no one was supporting him or busting a gut to catch up.

I totally agree that he has missed some great chances to score, but football isn't about one player, and as a team, we've failed all over the pitch this season.

I actually think Rondon will be immense in the championship. He would easily bully and out run championship defenders. If he stays, I back him to score 20 goals next season.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3093 on: March 04, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »
For once I actually agree with the Match of the Day pundits. they said that he didn't have any support or anyone to head the ball on to, some of the midfield were 20 yards away when they needed to be within 10 yards to retrieve the ball.

Then there's the point about when he was breaking forward, no one was supporting him or busting a gut to catch up.

I totally agree that he has missed some great chances to score, but football isn't about one player, and as a team, we've failed all over the pitch this season.

I actually think Rondon will be immense in the championship. He would easily bully and out run championship defenders. If he stays, I back him to score 20 goals next season.
£20.00 says he wouldn't! And I'd love to be proved wrong and gladly pay up but it wouldn't happen,he might, might just get ten.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3094 on: March 04, 2018, 02:23:14 PM »
£20.00 says he wouldn't! And I'd love to be proved wrong and gladly pay up but it wouldn't happen,he might, might just get ten.

You don't exactly have to be world class to do well in the championship. If you can hassle and harass defenders you'll get enough chances to bag a few goals. Daryl Murphy was one of the most effective strikers at that level in recent years. Back when we were in the championship Roman Bednar was extremely effective and he's nowhere near the level of Rondon.

This is all immaterial mind you, Rondon almost certainly won't be here next season.

ripryan1971

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3095 on: March 04, 2018, 02:33:57 PM »
Simple fact is he needs more service, look at the 2 brighton wide how many balls they get into the box for Murray, Burnley do the same for there forward aswell.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3096 on: March 04, 2018, 02:37:27 PM »
Simple fact is he needs more service, look at the 2 brighton wide how many balls they get into the box for Murray, Burnley do the same for there forward aswell.

For the Murray goal see Rondon chance yesterday.

Too many excuses are being made. When he gets the service he misses.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3097 on: March 04, 2018, 06:02:57 PM »
Today was a perfect example of why Rondon is not up to it as our No.9. The header on the edge of the 6 yard box was an absolute sitter, yet he manages to head it with his shoulder. A Prem League striker needs to be burying those, but it's just another in the long string of sitters he's missed all season. I think he has problems anticipating the ball. He panics at the last second. Not a great fan of Deeney but he is a finisher. Classic case of one on one with the keeper. Does he panic? No. He calmly assesses the situation and waits for the right moment to lob Foster. If that chance had fallen to Rondon, panic mode, blasts a shot, into Row Z or straight at keeper.
That's why Watford beat us yesterday. Simple as. When Sturridge is fit, has to replace Rondon.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3098 on: March 04, 2018, 06:25:11 PM »
Today was a perfect example of why Rondon is not up to it as our No.9. The header on the edge of the 6 yard box was an absolute sitter, yet he manages to head it with his shoulder. A Prem League striker needs to be burying those, but it's just another in the long string of sitters he's missed all season. I think he has problems anticipating the ball. He panics at the last second. Not a great fan of Deeney but he is a finisher. Classic case of one on one with the keeper. Does he panic? No. He calmly assesses the situation and waits for the right moment to lob Foster. If that chance had fallen to Rondon, panic mode, blasts a shot, into Row Z or straight at keeper.
That's why Watford beat us yesterday. Simple as. When Sturridge is fit, has to replace Rondon.

true but only up to a point where are the others who are supposed to score and we lost yesterday because of woeful midfield cockup and generally inept tactics
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:07:15 PM by OldburyWBA »

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3099 on: March 04, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

To wodenson:
Yeah, but it comes down to who gets the chances. Most of them will come to Rondon because that's the part of the pitch he plays in. If you're saying we should have created more chances, I'll agree with you. Most of the chances came from Phillips down the right side, but we needed more from the rest of the midfield. However, we still had enough chances to get a result yesterday, and I'm afraid most of the blame has to come down to Rondon for missing them. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure