Author Topic: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THREAD  (Read 191857 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: OFFICIAL CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THREAD
« Reply #725 on: May 10, 2019, 09:14:57 PM »
Don't sit on the fence mate, say what you think eh.
So you hate everything about Liverpool  city and its people,what a nice person you are.
Where are you from that's so great?
To answer your question
I never mentioned the people of Liverpool, nor the city...... the fans of Liverpool football club (Altough granted not all) do give me an issue.
When I was little I actually supported Liverpool, my first kit was liverpools , my favourite players were Ian Rush and Ronnie whelan...I watched Alan Kennedy scorethe winning penalty against Roma and was as happy as a ten year old could be

I then watched heysel.....
Fast forward and whilst accepting that all clubs have a few idiots....Liverpool seem to have a disproportionate amount
I've been to Liverpool a few times, still the only ground where I've been asked If I want my car looking after (what's the options when they are about 12 years old)
The way the man city coach was smashed up last year, the fireworks at the Barcelona hotel this year , the abuse of their own player (karius) including death threats , the mocking of Man Utd with the arms out wide aeroplane style

So for me it's not personal, it is a generalisation on the football clubs fans who have always seemed to operate below an acceptable level.......not all people in Liverpool and not the city
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #726 on: May 10, 2019, 11:18:19 PM »
I see,so thats alright then mate.
If you were in a horse race you'd be the one with blinkers on.
Try living in Millwall or Tyneside or Nottingham or Birmingham etc everywhere seems to have its problems, havnt you suffered similar anywhere else.
It must be milk and honey where you live,lucky chap.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #727 on: May 11, 2019, 12:09:23 AM »
I see,so thats alright then mate.
If you were in a horse race you'd be the one with blinkers on.
Try living in Millwall or Tyneside or Nottingham or Birmingham etc everywhere seems to have its problems, havnt you suffered similar anywhere else.
It must be milk and honey where you live,lucky chap.

He's already stated it's not about the city of Liverpool...

I have been to Liverpool and think it's a great city, but as a club it has too many plastic fans who can be unbearably arrogant at times. In some ways they are like a more successful Villa, i.e. their fans have an entitled attitude and see many other clubs as beneath them etc.
I'm sure there's some good fans in there but I live in Birmingham and I've met far too many Liverpool fans who support them because they're successful rather than a genuine love. That is what annoys me, it's a fake support; true support is suffering, losing games and playing badly. Ironically a lot of them moaned about Hodgson when they finished mid-table when most clubs in the country would be very happy with that. It was a one-off blip and literally that is the worst the club has been in years.
So I think it's only fair that their fans are seen as worse than most, because they are. Unlike the other places you've mentioned, their fan base is mostly unorganic and has no connection with the club. They are plastic and arrogant and that is why they are disliked.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #728 on: May 11, 2019, 12:54:22 AM »
He's already stated it's not about the city of Liverpool...

I have been to Liverpool and think it's a great city, but as a club it has too many plastic fans who can be unbearably arrogant at times. In some ways they are like a more successful Villa, i.e. their fans have an entitled attitude and see many other clubs as beneath them etc.
I'm sure there's some good fans in there but I live in Birmingham and I've met far too many Liverpool fans who support them because they're successful rather than a genuine love. That is what annoys me, it's a fake support; true support is suffering, losing games and playing badly. Ironically a lot of them moaned about Hodgson when they finished mid-table when most clubs in the country would be very happy with that. It was a one-off blip and literally that is the worst the club has been in years.
So I think it's only fair that their fans are seen as worse than most, because they are. Unlike the other places you've mentioned, their fan base is mostly unorganic and has no connection with the club. They are plastic and arrogant and that is why they are disliked.

Hodgson deserved all he got from Liverpool fans, he tried to replicate what he did at Fulham with one of the biggest 4 clubs in the world, it was doomed to failure. He also tried to impose his conservative style of play on a side that have been passing the ball for fun for 4 decades and winning everything in sight. It was a massive learning experience for Roy and one that he seemed to not pick up the lesson from: as England coach he made all the same mistakes.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #729 on: May 11, 2019, 08:45:52 AM »

Hodgson deserved all he got from Liverpool fans, he tried to replicate what he did at Fulham with one of the biggest 4 clubs in the world, it was doomed to failure. He also tried to impose his conservative style of play on a side that have been passing the ball for fun for 4 decades and winning everything in sight. It was a massive learning experience for Roy and one that he seemed to not pick up the lesson from: as England coach he made all the same mistakes.

Don't get me wrong I agree he failed as a manager there and I agree totally, at England he proved he couldn't manage teams who were expected to win games yet again.

My point was though, that many Liverpool fans go on as if that was some kind of horribly dark era for the club, when in reality they just finished lower than usual. Most clubs outside of this bubble suffer from financial troubles, relegation etc which is far worse.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #730 on: May 11, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »

You've both managed to highlight exactly why people have a problem with them

Turned the argument, didn't answer about heysel, didn't answer about smashing the city coach, didn't answer about the fireworks.....but it's now Roy hodgsons turn 🙄
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #731 on: May 11, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »
You've both managed to highlight exactly why people have a problem with them

Turned the argument, didn't answer about heysel, didn't answer about smashing the city coach, didn't answer about the fireworks.....but it's now Roy hodgsons turn 🙄

Heysel would have happened irrespective of the clubs and fans involved. Hooliganism was rife, the stadium was crumbling.

The fireworks happens all over the world. England fans do it regularly.

The Man City coach incident is inexcusable.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #732 on: May 11, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »

Heysel would have happened irrespective of the clubs and fans involved. Hooliganism was rife, the stadium was crumbling.

The fireworks happens all over the world. England fans do it regularly.

The Man City coach incident is inexcusable.

Heysel is an incredibly sensitive subject. However you cannot blame Liverpool for it. All you have to do is some light reading, speak to people who went to the games back in those days and the hooligan element was ever present. The 'taking' of home ends whilst not as ever present was still active.

Two wrongs don't make a right but you can't be critical of the fans who were there when it was pretty much the way pockets of fans of every club behaved. The disaster down to the shocking state of the stadium.

Of all the armchair fans in Britain I think Liverpool have the worst. It doesn't bother me who wins it as there will be pros and cons to both. I don't like Spurs either so it's a tricky one. In a nutshell I don't care.

I also find it funny how people will add a story of kids minding a car (which is a great affirmation of stereotype) followed by not seeing it anywhere else. My first time at The Emirates and I saw the exact same thing happen, so find it hard to believe that it has only been witnessed once and just so happens to be at Anfield.

Either way, great semi finals. Won't watch the final.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #733 on: May 11, 2019, 05:12:39 PM »
Don't sit on the fence mate, say what you think eh.
So you hate everything about Liverpool  city and its people,what a nice person you are.
Where are you from that's so great?
I am a nice person! I can only speak from experience I have been to Anfield and Goodison horrible people also been to Liverpool just to visit and with work. I also worked with Scousers in London never once have I had a good experience with them so I stick by what I said.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #734 on: May 11, 2019, 05:47:44 PM »
Heysel is an incredibly sensitive subject. However you cannot blame Liverpool for it. All you have to do is some light reading, speak to people who went to the games back in those days and the hooligan element was ever present. The 'taking' of home ends whilst not as ever present was still active.

Two wrongs don't make a right but you can't be critical of the fans who were there when it was pretty much the way pockets of fans of every club behaved. The disaster down to the shocking state of the stadium.

Of all the armchair fans in Britain I think Liverpool have the worst. It doesn't bother me who wins it as there will be pros and cons to both. I don't like Spurs either so it's a tricky one. In a nutshell I don't care.

I also find it funny how people will add a story of kids minding a car (which is a great affirmation of stereotype) followed by not seeing it anywhere else. My first time at The Emirates and I saw the exact same thing happen, so find it hard to believe that it has only been witnessed once and just so happens to be at Anfield.

Either way, great semi finals. Won't watch the final.
I saw heysel live on the to , I cried at the time
I've watched it back since and when Liverpool fans are picking up pices of metal and brick work and charging at the juve fans....yes you can blame the fans that were there .

I have never seen the "look after your car " at any other ground, it's factual (to me) so I stand by it
The general behaviour of livpool fans is bad , Munich was a terrible disaster , no one can condone mocking it

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #735 on: May 11, 2019, 06:01:57 PM »
I've watched it back since and when Liverpool fans are picking up pices of metal and brick work and charging at the juve fans....yes you can blame the fans that were there .

I have never seen the "look after your car " at any other ground, it's factual (to me) so I stand by it
The general behaviour of livpool fans is bad , Munich was a terrible disaster , no one can condone mocking it

To be fair i've had that at the villa as well, few years ago now.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #736 on: May 11, 2019, 06:06:12 PM »

I genuinely don't understand this point.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #737 on: May 11, 2019, 06:14:16 PM »

I genuinely don't understand this point.
You stated"you can't blame the fans that were there"

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #738 on: May 11, 2019, 07:52:30 PM »
You stated"you can't blame the fans that were there"

So what were you blaming them for? Weapons and hooliganism went hand in hand unfortunately during that time. Absolutely nothing new there.

Were the Italians armed with anything at all? Any answer other than yes would amaze me as they are arguably worse than the Turkish fans.

There are many hypothetical questions that can be asked about Heysel.

One question that was already answered by both clubs before the match though was that Heysel wasn't fit enough to host the game. Both sides wanted it moved. It never happened.

During the tragedy the policing numbers were inadequate. Juventus fans attacked were in the neutral end and should never have been in there. Ticket distribution was a contributing factor.

The conduct of both Liverpool and Juventus following the tragedy (and I mean decades on) was nothing short of shocking in my opinion.

Margaret Thatcher then waved the white flag and lost innocent clubs like Everton the opportunity for their greatest side to ever go on a European adventure. How much of an impact did that have on their history? The Everton players to this day are still furious at that.

The most obvious loss though was that of life. To blame the deaths on Liverpool fans, some of whom I'm well aware stood trial, and hold it against their fans of present I find a bit bemusing. The whole disaster was more than preventative in nearly every aspect.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #739 on: May 11, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »
So what were you blaming them for? Weapons and hooliganism went hand in hand unfortunately during that time. Absolutely nothing new there.

Were the Italians armed with anything at all? Any answer other than yes would amaze me as they are arguably worse than the Turkish fans.

There are many hypothetical questions that can be asked about Heysel.

One question that was already answered by both clubs before the match though was that Heysel wasn't fit enough to host the game. Both sides wanted it moved. It never happened.

During the tragedy the policing numbers were inadequate. Juventus fans attacked were in the neutral end and should never have been in there. Ticket distribution was a contributing factor.

The conduct of both Liverpool and Juventus following the tragedy (and I mean decades on) was nothing short of shocking in my opinion.

Margaret Thatcher then waved the white flag and lost innocent clubs like Everton the opportunity for their greatest side to ever go on a European adventure. How much of an impact did that have on their history? The Everton players to this day are still furious at that.

The most obvious loss though was that of life. To blame the deaths on Liverpool fans, some of whom I'm well aware stood trial, and hold it against their fans of present I find a bit bemusing. The whole disaster was more than preventative in nearly every aspect.

Your post exemplifies exactly what winds me up about the scousers, On one hand Heysel was a tragedy caused by everyone but the fans with red scarves. While the world watched first hand the bin dippers chasing families, hurling rocks and metal stakes.
However Hillsborough was the fault of everyone else and justice was persued for 30 plus years,

The reputation for chips on shoulders and the constant whining about being persecuted by the rest of humanity is well earned.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #740 on: May 12, 2019, 04:17:24 PM »
To be fair i've had that at the villa as well, few years ago now.

Worked with a lot of Vilers over the years. Don't know whether it still goes on but home supporters used to have loads of problems with car 'minders'.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #741 on: May 31, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
I would laugh my balls off if Barcelona fans re-paid the favour by setting fireworks off in the middle of the night tonight outside the Liverpool hotel, just like Liverpool fans did to them in their last game. That is all.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #742 on: May 31, 2019, 07:54:57 PM »
I would laugh my balls off if Barcelona fans re-paid the favour by setting fireworks off in the middle of the night tonight outside the Liverpool hotel, just like Liverpool fans did to them in their last game. That is all.
Seconded, although it does give them their coveted "something to blame"

Hope Spurs absolutely take them apart

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #743 on: June 01, 2019, 12:13:35 AM »
I have changed my mind and now I want spurs to win.

As I have decided that I want as many teams in England to win the champs league, that way it dilutes the vile's win.

They are so sacred about it my vile supporting brother want the Germans to win when they lost to Chelsea.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #744 on: June 01, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
You can't really blame a club's current fans for what happened 30 years ago, as many of them will not even have been born. I think most clubs had a hooligan element around then (one of the reasons I came to support Albion was because trouble was rare, and the vast majority of our fans seemed to be genuine football fans).
But incidents around Liverpool and their fans don't seem to have stopped in the modern era. The smashing of the Man City coach, fireworks outside the Barcelona hotel just 2 examples. Klopp, who I like as a bloke, has done alot of good for Liverpool's image, but I'll still be supporting Spurs.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #745 on: June 01, 2019, 04:33:10 PM »
I have changed my mind and now I want spurs to win.

As I have decided that I want as many teams in England to win the champs league, that way it dilutes the vile's win.

They are so sacred about it my vile supporting brother want the Germans to win when they lost to Chelsea.

Just keep reminding them that Nottingham Forest won it twice, that kinda puts things int perspective for them  :D

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #746 on: June 01, 2019, 06:27:09 PM »
Klopp was disrespectful to my club on more than one occasion. He is a good Manager but finds it very difficult to give credit to the opposition in my opinion. Cannot stand the man, and I hope his team are soundly beaten by Tottenham, who have a Manager with real class. So for tonight only its a "Come on you Spurs" for me
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #747 on: June 01, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »
Klopp was disrespectful to my club on more than one occasion. He is a good Manager but finds it very difficult to give credit to the opposition in my opinion. Cannot stand the man, and I hope his team are soundly beaten by Tottenham, who have a Manager with real class. So for tonight only its a "Come on you Spurs" for me

Let's hope he is humbled tonight and has to admit that the better team won, but I doubt it
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #748 on: June 01, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
Ill be cheering on Spurs

My soft spot club due to players they had down the years that I loved.

Looking forward to the game though think this will be a good one
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #749 on: June 01, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »
How to ruin the atmosphere of a football game. Stick a band on the pitch 10 minutes from kick off.  >:(
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.