Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2230794 times)

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
Surely a better title is "The Bells are Singing"  ;D
I only go for the beer.

baggiejules

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2011, 01:01:36 PM »
It all just seems like some plastic, internet driven attempt at getting some kind of identity to the club and from the outside looks terrible and cringeworthy. When people ask us why we sing Psalm 23 there is normally a story behind it, the most popular I have heard is the theory that we were one of the first teams to play on a Sunday and the fans rather jokingly decided to sing something biblical for it and it kicked off from there. Blues have their stories of the team singing KRO being sung by the Cup Final team in 54(?). If it does kick off and in ten years time people ask 'why do Villa sing that song about the bells?', it's going to look lame when people say 'oh well we got this poll going on a messageboard, and then the club let us sing outside the ground on a tuesday afternoon...'. There is just absolutely no folklore to it and it looks plastic.

Real identity comes from the terraces. Not the messageboards.

BlackCountryVilla

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2011, 02:33:16 PM »
It all just seems like some plastic, internet driven attempt at getting some kind of identity to the club and from the outside looks terrible and cringeworthy. When people ask us why we sing Psalm 23 there is normally a story behind it, the most popular I have heard is the theory that we were one of the first teams to play on a Sunday and the fans rather jokingly decided to sing something biblical for it and it akicked off from there. Blues have their stories of the team singing KRO being sung by the Cup Final team in 54(?). If it does kick off and in ten years time people ask 'why do Villa sing that song about the bells?', it's going to look lame when people say 'oh well we got this poll going on a messageboard, and then the club let us sing outside the ground on a tuesday afternoon...'. There is just absolutely no folklore to it and it looks plastic.

Real identity comes from the terraces. Not the messageboards.
Back in the day whenever we won at home Aston church would ring it's bells after the game, and our fans sung that song all through the 60's, 70's and 80's and then it died out. The recording of the song has got the Aston church bells ringing on it. So it may have started up again on the internet but there is history and folklore behind it.

Like i say any fans who try and get a bit of atmosphere in their ground are fine by me, look at Chelsea last night, a massive game against a big English rival and they barely mustered a song. Support, especially at home, is on it's backside in this country.
Did you know we won the European Cup?

BlackCountryVilla

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
lol I know exactly which bit you mean. I nearly fell off my chair yesterday and the boss was giving me funny looks when I saw it.

Trinity Road, and I won't be taking a scarf. It's bad enough having to sit in a $%£@ hole, let alone wear $%£@ as well.  :D

I bleed blue & white. Fortunately, I seem to have a record of every time I visit Villa Park in the home end as a ‘neutral’ (cough ;) ), Villa seem to lose and I would like to keep that tradition going.
We seem to lose everytime i go aswell.
Did you know we won the European Cup?

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »

Could you manage to go to all the remaining games? Please.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »
Please come to the Hawthorns then and keep up the momentum.... ;)

astle68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:46 AM »
Back in the day whenever we won at home Aston church would ring it's bells after the game, and our fans sung that song all through the 60's, 70's and 80's and then it died out. The recording of the song has got the Aston church bells ringing on it. So it may have started up again on the internet but there is history and folklore behind it.

Like i say any fans who try and get a bit of atmosphere in their ground are fine by me, look at Chelsea last night, a massive game against a big English rival and they barely mustered a song. Support, especially at home, is on it's backside in this country.
And you think these problems can be solved with scarves?

Interesting

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2011, 07:41:17 AM »
How would villa fans know about aston church? They are all black country traitors on a daytrip.
I only go for the beer.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2011, 08:51:33 PM »
Did anyone hear the bells are ringing today before kick off :D
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
Villa Park is allways full of bells.
I only go for the beer.

Rich99

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2011, 09:20:41 PM »
Rumors of Friedal out on a free to Liverpool in the summer as Reina wants out.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »
If Liverpool are replacing Reina with Friedel then it really is all over for them.
I only go for the beer.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
Big win for the Villa today, Newcastle didnt play very well though today.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
The Villa players looked really nervous yesterday, they have a massive game at Upton Park on Saturday.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

astle68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2011, 12:19:25 AM »
They're not out of it yet. Poor side who could easily lose the rest of their games this season

(Yes, I am clutching on to the last bit of hope that these bar stewards go down!)

Rich99

« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
As much as I don't wish it, after beating Newcastle, given the players they have, I think they may well now be fine especially given the opposition they face in the rest of the run in. :(

I suppose, at worst, if they do beat the likes of West Ham, Wigan, Stoke it further cements our place in staying up.

Still, beating them at home would be pretty dandy. :)

baggiejules

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »
Why haven't we had a laugh at this yet?

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2334367,00.html

*snigger*

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »

*snigger*

But remember, it's "100% fan driven, nothing to do with the club"  ;D ;D ;D
I only go for the beer.

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2011, 02:02:25 PM »

*snigger*
Couldnt watch that all the way through...
Im embarrassed just watching it...
Trying to create a myth about their superiority by hashing together some "historical" fact about bloody bells..
More chance of hearing wailing from a minaret calling em to friday prayer than an atmosphere at the Sea Life Centre...
Pathetic support  and poor showing in respect of trying to create an atmosphere...
And our own fans slammed the TBS..... ::)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »
A little cringe worthy but fair play for giving it ago.We should have something to get us fans going,any ideas.
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggiejules

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
Apart from maybe turning the volume down on the pre-match music there's only one thing I would be in favour for but it's never going to happen so it's not worth discussing and I'm not going to be the one to open that can of worms.

I would never in a million years want to stoop as low as the Vile here. We don't need to.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
Apart from maybe turning the volume down on the pre-match music there's only one thing I would be in favour for but it's never going to happen so it's not worth discussing and I'm not going to be the one to open that can of worms.

I would never in a million years want to stoop as low as the Vile here. We don't need to.

Pretty much agree with that to be honest.

Maybe we could all get together and record the Lord's my Shepard to be played before kick off, a bit like Liverpool do with there song.  :o  :P

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »
lol I know exactly which bit you mean. I nearly fell off my chair yesterday and the boss was giving me funny looks when I saw it.

Trinity Road, and I won't be taking a scarf. It's bad enough having to sit in a $%£@ hole, let alone wear $%£@ as well.  :D

I bleed blue & white. Fortunately, I seem to have a record of every time I visit Villa Park in the home end as a ‘neutral’ (cough ;) ), Villa seem to lose and I would like to keep that tradition going.

Quick, everyone have a whip round, get this man a season ticket.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »
Quick, everyone have a whip round, get this man a season ticket.

Thanks, but no need. I get free tickets. I wouldn't go otherwise  :D

I didn't end up going on Sunday in the end, which is why the ended up winning.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
4 weeks ago ...we are too good to go down
2 weeks ago ...the banners right he needs to go now hes lost the team and we are in danger
this week .... its houlier all the way next season we will be in the top 6 where we belong ..

Now I know football fans can sometimes be fickle but bloody hell, I relly wanted them to drop evn if it meant the dingles staying up just to put their stupid fans back in there cage , never mind lets settle for beating them and sending the dingles down...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..