Author Topic: The World Cup - If you had to choose a 2nd team to cheer for, who would it be?  (Read 578 times)

breakfastbaggie

• Baby Baggie

As a Canadian born and raised, my English friend got me into football 12 years ago.  He was obviously a lifelong Baggies fan who visited the Hawthorns often as a kid growing up and thus my attachement to the club.  It didn't hurt that the first match I ever watched was a 3 to 2 away victory against Arsenal way back in 2010.

As a Canadian it's easy to have a 2nd or 3rd team to cheer for because haven't made the world cup for 3 decades so we always had to find another nation to cheer for.  I assume it's all England all the time and we don't care about anyone else for most English fans..lol.

I will be cheering for England because of my good friend.  Our beer league soccer team also has a spanish guy who's a really good guy on it, so I will cheer for Spain because of our friendship.  I lived in Germany for a year in my youth, so I still have a soft spot for the Germans although I know that won't go over well on this forum..lol.

So I ask you, in the group phase of the world cup, what teams will you be rooting for when England doesn't play?  We're a massive underdog and easy to cheer for.  I welcome anyone who wants to cheer on Canada.  It comes with low expectations so there won't be much disappointment if we don't fair well!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Very much Albion related, but as we don't have anyone going to the WC this year, its England only. As a fan of Messi, it would be nice to see him lift the trophy in his 1000th professional game as long as it wasn't against us!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Mikkyk

• Youth Baggie

Grandad was German, and started the West Brom supporting lineage in the family after moving here! So Germany will be my second team.

BaggieBoy04

• Youth Baggie

England first And foremost As I have been to Canada and found them nicer than the Americans Canada as My 2nd team. As Messi to me has been better than CR7 his while career and CR7 is a brand now If England and Canada went out Argentina. But if not the only other home nation in it Granted in our group Wales but when we play them and if we beat them I will rub it in on my Welsh friends. But I don't really want to watch this World Cup as it's a disgrace
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

From having an interest in most american sports other than NBA it would be the USA.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

England. That is all.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

alex1

• WBA Coach

Ever since the 1974 WC, when they should have won it, but instead wanted to take the p** with the Germans, and then in 1978 when a shot by Rensenbrink hit the post when it was 1-1 in the final with the Argentinians, I have backed Holland.  The quest continues.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

I only support England. My grandparents on moms side of the family are from Poland but i was born here and lived here all my life so i don't care about the other part of my heritage at all.

NJS

• Youth Baggie

The Netherlands.  Lived there for two years.  Should have beaten Argentina but for a stinker of a ref.
Gave us total football, opened the modern football age.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

Usually Brazil, but I would love to see Wales do well.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

I won't have a second team per se, but I will support the underdog nations left in the competition.

It would be good for the global game if a side from anywhere but Europe won (even better if it came from outside South America as well).

Senegal, Mexico, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Ghana, Cameroon, somebody like that. Maybe even the Aussies.
Boing Boing

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

Whoever i have deemed on the day but to put money on...or if no finances to be gained the underdog.
O Albion we love you

boingboing1989

• Youth Baggie

No second team but if we don't win it I would like Messi to win it just to cap off his career and leave no doubts that he's the greatest player of all time.

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

Well I'm English so I'm meant to say England but not really bothered if they win or not and my national team is Ireland but we didn't make it

So I'd like France or Germany to win it because it would considerably boost my bank balance  :D
Baggie Terra

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

I can’t bring myself to support another nation as such, but probably Brazil. Clearly the romanticising of football and Brazil has impacted me

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

As much as pains me, I’m rooting for Catarrh.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

As much as pains me, I’m rooting for Catarrh.

Genuinely hope it clears up soon, a good greenie should do the trick.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

I can’t bring myself to support another nation as such, but probably Brazil. Clearly the romanticising of football and Brazil has impacted me

Have you tried laxatives?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

I won't have a second team per se, but I will support the underdog nations left in the competition.

It would be good for the global game if a side from anywhere but Europe won (even better if it came from outside South America as well).

Senegal, Mexico, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Costa Rica, Ghana, Cameroon, somebody like that. Maybe even the Aussies.

They'd rather pass cannon balls wrapped in barbed wire through their anal canals than support us in any sport. I'd only wish them well if they were playing Wales, Scotland, Germany or Argentina. Or maybe Qatar at a genuinely hard push.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Well I'm English so I'm meant to say England but not really bothered if they win or not and my national team is Ireland but we didn't make it

So I'd like France or Germany to win it because it would considerably boost my bank balance  :D

I'd be right with you given my mom was Irish. Such a pity Dara O'Shea and Jayson Molumby are playing friendlies in November instead of going to the World Cup.

Truth is the RoI don't deserve to be anywhere near the World Cup this time around though. Just as well really so as not to be tainted with dead builders' blood and homophobia etc.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

They'd rather pass cannon balls wrapped in barbed wire through their anal canals than support us in any sport. I'd only wish them well if they were playing Wales, Scotland, Germany or Argentina. Or maybe Qatar at a genuinely hard push.

As an Australian I'm not really sure that you're correct....

Most Aussies would "rather pass cannon balls wrapped in barbed wire through their anal canals than"  lose to England in any Sport BUT....

My 2nd team is England...   :D

On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

Most Aussies would "rather pass cannon balls wrapped in barbed wire through their anal canals than"  lose to England in any Sport BUT....

As an English Baggie living in Australia I find you get all ends of the spectrum. For example, ex pats like myself and their kids who’ve been here less that 15 years stick with England. Moving through the timelines you’ll then get kids/ adults that were born here but their parents are English ex pats so there is a mixture of following their family roots vs being influenced by school and work mates etc.
Going through the generations you then have Aussie kids and parents who don’t have any immediate connection to the UK for at least 2 generations and thus see us as the olde enemy.
Lastly you have the Italians, Dutch and a host of other generations that moved here after WW2 and have less than zero support for England as they have no direct connection.
So for me it’s about which type of Aussie and where they come from you bump into as to their allegiance or otherwise to the Motherland.

I still love beating the Aussies though and they can’t take it 😛
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 05:54:56 AM by the other AJ »
Baggie Down Under 🙃

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Being Australian you're bound to disagree with an Englishman all be it one of a mixed English, Irish, Scottish and Germanic bloodline. Being disagreeable with the English is practically part of your national DNA and we both know it. I'm more than willing to accept that you of course may be an exception to this time proven rule of thumb. Long live the King  ;D  8)  ;) .

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

Ever since the 1974 WC, when they should have won it, but instead wanted to take the p** with the Germans, and then in 1978 when a shot by Rensenbrink hit the post when it was 1-1 in the final with the Argentinians, I have backed Holland.  The quest continues.

The narrative around that 1974 final is way overplayed. That was a very strong German team, with plenty of class players. They pretty much dominated the game after the concession of early goal, and if anything the final score-line flattered the Netherlands. Maybe they had their own issues but Germany were thoroughly deserving of their win on the day.

Modified: West Germany penalty given may have been a close call, but they had a clear penalty not given in wecone-half as well as a very dubious offside given for what seemed a perfectly fine goal.

As for the question, I guess Wales will be my number one team for this World Cup.
Number 2 team: whoever knocks out France.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 02:53:48 PM by ronnie_allen »

alex1

• WBA Coach

The narrative around that 1974 final is way overplayed. That was a very strong German team, with plenty of class players. They pretty much dominated the game after the concession of early goal, and if anything the final score-line flattered the Netherlands. Maybe they had their own issues but Germany were thoroughly deserving of their win on the day.

I've read a number of accounts from the Dutch players (I speak Dutch), and they were quite open about wanting to rub the Germans noses in it by grandstanding about. German players also remarked on the arrogant attitude of the Dutch before kick off. The Dutch tried to put on a show of 'total football' , as it was called, but Germans being Germans, fought their way back, albeit with the help of a dubious penalty. Despite the likes of Gerd Muller, Beckenbauer etc., the Dutch had more quality player for player and  if their attitude had been right, should have won. Anyway, it reinforced the football rivalry and you can guarentee that if its Germany v Holland , it won't be boring.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure