Author Topic: League One  (Read 7781 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: League One
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »
The way we have shaped up over the last six years (and the last two in particular) it's clear to everyone we are in a rapid downward spiral. End of last season and all of this one I have been convinced that the only way we will exit this league is by dropping a division.

The trouble is the rot is so bad - and the utterly clueless ownership - that I can see us dropping still further.

Does anyone on here feel that a creative and inspiring manager can turn this around? And by that I mean just keep us 'up'. I can't wait for someone new to get cracking but I've had all of the hope beaten out of me by all this. Worst we've been for two decades, as many of us have said.

I feel like I should join AA - Albion Anonymous.
Yes, I do. It's all doom and gloom at the moment, but I have every faith that we will stay up if we appoint an actual coach eg Corboran.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2022, 01:22:02 PM »
Yes, I do. It's all doom and gloom at the moment, but I have every faith that we will stay up if we appoint an actual coach eg Corboran.

Fair - to be honest the more I read about Corboran the more I want him fronting us; sounds like a good fit. And we need to commit time-wise because it will take more than one season. Plus I want to see what we might start to achieve once we are able to chop some of our deadwood out.

Let's hope we get that announcement asap.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2022, 02:37:19 PM »
Now 11/1 to get relegated now. Think people are starting to realise how much trouble were in as club

BAGGYINTHESOUTH

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2022, 02:39:35 PM »
Oxford away next season

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »
I’ve had a 50 on us going down now. We starting to get cut adrift and teams that do pretty much never claw it back.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2022, 03:36:52 PM »
Here we come!

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2022, 04:06:21 PM »
Give carlos his 2 and a half years. Get relegated and rebuild in league 1 getting rid of the dead wood and investing in young hungry players then come back stronger with the players Carlos wants and will take us on.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2022, 04:11:24 PM »
Give carlos his 2 and a half years. Get relegated and rebuild in league 1 getting rid of the dead wood and investing in young hungry players then come back stronger with the players Carlos wants and will take us on.

Get what you are saying mate, but this owner won't spend money now. Cannot see him doing that in League 1.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2022, 04:15:52 PM »
Hear what you are saying but too many of the current squad will be with us on big wages for up to another 3/4 years. Those wages are unsustainable on League 1 income. It could well lead to severe financial difficultly possibly even administration if we are relegated.

Groovephil

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2022, 04:17:45 PM »
We stay too long on the championship and we’ll be in administration, go down and we’ll be in it right away.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2022, 04:19:22 PM »
We stay too long on the championship and we’ll be in administration, go down and we’ll be in it right away.
True - at least our income is higher in the Championship. Once you go down there you are dead to Sky.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2022, 05:11:00 PM »
Shrewsbury away could get tasty next season, while I will definitely try to go to Port Vale.

Playing Accrington, Fleetwood and potentially the likes of Cheltenham, Morcambe, Barrow and Forest Green is depressing and so avoidable.
Boing Boing

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2022, 05:16:56 PM »
Bottom of the league and 4 points from safety. Looking grim.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »
I personally think Talbot and Gould’s 1991 relegation model would beat this side. Certainly wouldn’t lose to it.

More of a goal threat, better goalkeeper and defenders, and a bit more heart.

This may very well be the worst team in the club’s history.

It really is as bad as that, and I currently don’t see the talent or even the basic attitude necessary to get out of the mess we’re in.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2022, 07:24:45 PM »
We look very much like Wolves a few years ago when they dropped.

No direction, no plan, no passion etc.

Wolves managed to stop the rot in league one, I fear we won’t be able to.

Pessimistic I know, but there is so much wrong with the club and it’s been like it for years and only now are we seeing the results.

JP got out at the right time didn’t he, maybe he saw what was around the corner?

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2022, 07:51:45 PM »
I know I started this thread but I think CC has enough about him to keep this unholy rabble up. Only just though.

Whether they deserve it or not is entirely another matter.

My grim hope is that we can stay up by the skin of our teeth, get rid of some of our rubbish in summer and... well actually I've run out of ideas at that point.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2022, 08:12:55 PM »
Now 11/1 to get relegated now. Think people are starting to realise how much trouble were in as club
You obviously don't understand betting odds. 11/1 is absolutely huge odds for a team that is bottom of the table. To put it in perspective, the teams that are bottom of the other 3 divisions are priced at 8/15 (Forest), 10/11 (Burton), and 15/8 (Colchester). By pricing us at 11/1 the bookies are saying that it is very unlikely indeed (less than a 10% chance) that we will go down. These odds are very good if you really think we will go down. You should lump on, though personally I think you will lose your money.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2022, 08:18:54 PM »
Shrewsbury away could get tasty next season, while I will definitely try to go to Port Vale.

Playing Accrington, Fleetwood and potentially the likes of Cheltenham, Morcambe, Barrow and Forest Green is depressing and so avoidable.
In our relegation year from the PL, there were fans on here saying they were looking forward to visiting some of the Championship grounds again. That they'd had enough of the PL and its greed. So now, maybe they'll get the chance to recycle and repeat for the next League down. Its not funny though, its tragic.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »
You obviously don't understand betting odds. 11/1 is absolutely huge odds for a team that is bottom of the table. To put it in perspective, the teams that are bottom of the other 3 divisions are priced at 8/15 (Forest), 10/11 (Burton), and 15/8 (Colchester). By pricing us at 11/1 the bookies are saying that it is very unlikely indeed (less than a 10% chance) that we will go down. These odds are very good if you really think we will go down. You should lump on, though personally I think you will lose your money.

No I understand how it works which is why I’ve put some money on it.  There is no way it’s a ten percent chance of relegation. I’d say we’re closer to 60 at this point and it’s more likely we drop than stop up but that’s just my view hence why I think the odds are crazy.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2022, 08:48:56 AM »
I know I started this thread but I think CC has enough about him to keep this unholy rabble up. Only just though.

Whether they deserve it or not is entirely another matter.

My grim hope is that we can stay up by the skin of our teeth, get rid of some of our rubbish in summer and... well actually I've run out of ideas at that point.

How did you get hold of a copy of Ron’s plan?
MAGA!

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2022, 12:03:50 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but it felt like the most appropriate thread.

I think from watching our current plight, I thought why not rewatch some of Sunderland 'Til I Die as I felt that there would be some parallels with our doomed situation. And boy, wow, there were numerous - it was horrifying as only a few years ago, I was laughing about the shambles that engulfed that club  :-X

A few parallels that I noted were:

- Non-existent owners (Ellis Short never speaks with Coleman and, eventually, sells up at the end)

- A CEO, Martin Bain, who saw his role at Sunderland - and in the documentary - as, pretty much, a vanity project (Gourlay, perhaps, has his own issues)

- The awful scouting network (a list of out-of-reach Premier League players was displayed during that scene)

- A hopeless striker situation, pinning their hopes on a young, hard-working and misfiring young focal point (Harsh on BTA but I think we all know that he isn't the answer)

- A goalkeeper crisis - 3/4 are picked between the sticks throughout the season

- Players that had been at the club far, far too long (Cattermole, O'Shea)

- Huge earners offering absolutely nothing (Rodwell meet Zohore)

- Blood-boiling anger vented in the stands (Are we, as a fan base, closer to apathy?)

Admittedly, some of these comparisons may have been a stretch but there's no two ways about it: we are going the same way as Sunderland.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2022, 12:37:29 PM »
Never watched Sunderland 'Til I Die but from what you've posted there are definite parallels to be drawn. Whether our reality ends up being comparative remains to be seen.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2022, 12:47:08 PM »
I have watched it and as I did I thought to myself ‘how can a club get into such a mess?’. Witnessing our demise I can now see why....
MAGA!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2022, 01:17:27 PM »
I watched it all during the first lockdown with my son. I remember saying to him back then that we would be heading the same way. So many parallels it’s untrue.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2022, 04:42:31 PM »
The Second Tier
@secondtierpod
West Brom have become the 23rd team in Championship history to have only won 2 games or fewer after 17 fixtures.

15 of those teams were relegated.

https://twitter.com/secondtierpod/status/1587055786634539009

Here's hoping we make it the 9th to stay up.