Author Topic: Commonwealth games  (Read 4920 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: Commonwealth games
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2022, 01:03:21 PM »
I'm going to hazard a guess at Keep Yourself Alive as opposed to having anything to do with lubrication  ;D .
Correct, Queen's first single release and early anthem I believe.
Well worked out.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2022, 01:11:09 PM »
Dan didn't you know that Smethwick is called 'The B*stard Town now one wants us.  ;D

I've always called it the B State that nobody wants which we're perfectly happy with because we don't want them either  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2022, 02:30:19 PM »
Just a thought we all know Sunday England Women play the Germans at Wembley, I know they have a schedule to follow but most of the English Athletes are fans of not only there sport but other sports some of these won't be competing until after the final, but what about those who are can they be given the score updates during the waits for there competition say for 3PM can they as long as they have a day of go to the Pub/Hotel have a few beers and watch the Match. I know for Example Adam Peaty lives 50 minutes away he could personally drive to and from his house to the team meeting area for his races and then maybe drive home to watch the game. If it was me I would rush through my press conference to quickly get back and watch the match ay if I've won a medal would anyone care if I drink several Lagers/Consume Alcohol whilst watching the Final if my next competition ay until Tuesday
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2022, 02:31:33 PM »
Smerrick, warley, tividale, Langley, brandhall all very confused areas,
I had a few years in Bertram Ed smerrick, better than it’s reputation to be honest
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2022, 01:52:11 PM »
We saw the conclusion of the Women's marathon and the medal ceremonies for all the marathon events yesterday at Victoria Square and it was a great atmosphere.

The centre was buzzing and the bull looked great at Centenary Square.

Always proud to be a brummie and very happy with the games so far.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2022, 01:54:58 PM »
Well Gold and Silver in Gymnastics, Gold in Mens Para Triathlon and Gold for Womens Para Triathlon, Silver for Northern Ireland. After a Cracking game of Rugby New Zealand lost to Fiji after Extra Time who will be playing for Gold. At the Velodrome a serious crash has occurred spectators have been sent home after England's Matt Halls wrnt into the crowd. A crowd member was seen covered in blood and taken away by wheelchair. Happened in the Scratch Race. Also Girls and Men women Gold in Team Gymnastics. James Hall did get injured today he won Silver, Jake Jarman gold

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2022, 09:37:39 PM »
I have lost track of our medals got Gold and Silver in 10M Diving Women's and Gold and Bronze in Mens. Second overall 15 behind Australia only 8 golds behind them Come On England. Birmingham has been brilliant so far I hope we smash the Medals. Gymnastics Liam Kinsella's sister Alice won Gold, So to did Jo Fraser and Jake Jarman who won 4. Laura Kenny won Gold to and We had one in Powerlifting eairler I think the Para one though, we also had a Sliver and 3 Golds in Weightlifting and 1 in Judo. I should remember the Male Weightlifter's name and the Female or one she was the Flag Bearer for us, the male one sung Jerusalem the only Athlete I've seen sing it so far. Oh yeah and KJT obviously won Gold, Hannah Cockcroft won Gold as England came 1 2 and 3 in her Event. Those are the ones I remember other than Team Gymnastics for both, Alex Yee, Adam Peaty, James Guy and I think another Triathlon one. If someone does actually know please update us. At this rate We Are The Champions might be played for us Queen Fans. Oh Basketball we meadled in to. The Cycling I knew some of that Route not far from College my Bus there goes the way they went passing Beaties going there and turning by The old Markets coming back.

P Anderson

• Site Donator
  • Junior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2022, 12:17:08 AM »
Just got a ticket to watch the boxing finals on Sunday at the NEC. Well chuffed😎
Submariners go deeper

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »
Just got a ticket to watch the boxing finals on Sunday at the NEC. Well chuffed😎

Nice one, have a belting time.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2022, 09:35:34 AM »
Delicious Orie maybe there based on what I heard on 5 Live Brummie Lad English the Crowds have been immense. At the Boxing Yesterday Steve Bunce said a group of a few hundred spectators were stamping on the seating area floor basically rocking the Place Stewards tried to stop then but couldn't. The netball was the same with the Commentators on 5 Live saying they could feel the vibration from the Crowd as England beat New Zealand. Birmingham is doing itself and the Midlands Proud

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2022, 06:20:15 PM »
Beach Volleyball is Mad, we did get a Gold today in Rythmic Gymnastics and team Diving so far 3 golds in Diving, The girl yesterday with her teamate 2nd, Jack Laugher I think it is with individual and team today. Beach Volleyball we have a medal chance Athletics wise not sure. I think we have a few in Long Jump, Is Keeley Hodgkinson English or Scottish she may get a medal however I think Laura Muir will also be racing in the 800Meters I think is what Hodgkinson races. Not far behind the Aussies so potentially could overtake them making Birmingham A success. Also look out for the Northern Irish in the Boxing they could end up with a ton of Metal.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2022, 01:31:06 PM »
Enjoyed the games, Birmingham have done a good job of hosting them. Went to 2 events in the end and enjoyed both. The venues were great, the way they have spread events around the region is great news for fans from Wolverhampton down to Leamington Spa and the buzz around the city both times I've been in has felt like a festival. Athletes and TV have spoken about the raucous atmosphere generated by the local crowds. It's just a shame the regions public transport has been/is so poor as it was difficult to get around.

On to the sport, if I'm being harsh then for a home games it's felt like a bit of a flat performance. The Aussies are going to finish some way ahead of us at the top of the medal table which with it being held in England is a slight blow. They are an incredible sporting nation, 25m people but they get Golds and Silvers in team sports like Cricket, Netball, Hockey, Volleyball and Rugby 7's. Other than our Women's Hockey and men's 3x3 basketball Golds, they have put us to shame - as a nation our size I would like to see us perform a bit better in the team sports (it does take me back to secondary school and the PE lessons of Football - half hearted athletics - more football, we should be more diverse than that and not leave it all to private schools). They were Dominant in the Velodrome, the Aquatics centre, Bowls centre and the Athletics.

In able bodied track events, Scotland end up with more Golds than us, albeit we have been unlucky with DQ's and injuries. Then in Boxing, where we have been outperformed by Northern Ireland and Scotland - the ABA will probably want a look at why English boxers didn't quite make the grade this time given the funding it gets. I did love our relay gold medal win though, we continue to be one of the best outside the USA and Jamaica.

Special mention to New Zealand (population 5m). It seems everytime I've turned on an event this last few days they have beaten us. 20 gold metals at the moment, just under half the amount we have had. The Antipodeans know their sport.

I hope we do bid for further games now, maybe the European champs at some point in the next decade or so.
Boing Boing

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2022, 01:48:07 PM »
Enjoyed the games, Birmingham have done a good job of hosting them. Went to 2 events in the end and enjoyed both. The venues were great, the way they have spread events around the region is great news for fans from Wolverhampton down to Leamington Spa and the buzz around the city both times I've been in has felt like a festival. Athletes and TV have spoken about the raucous atmosphere generated by the local crowds. It's just a shame the regions public transport has been/is so poor as it was difficult to get around.

On to the sport, if I'm being harsh then for a home games it's felt like a bit of a flat performance. The Aussies are going to finish some way ahead of us at the top of the medal table which with it being held in England is a slight blow. They are an incredible sporting nation, 25m people but they get Golds and Silvers in team sports like Cricket, Netball, Hockey, Volleyball and Rugby 7's. Other than our Women's Hockey and men's 3x3 basketball Golds, they have put us to shame - as a nation our size I would like to see us perform a bit better in the team sports (it does take me back to secondary school and the PE lessons of Football - half hearted athletics - more football, we should be more diverse than that and not leave it all to private schools). They were Dominant in the Velodrome, the Aquatics centre, Bowls centre and the Athletics.

In able bodied track events, Scotland end up with more Golds than us, albeit we have been unlucky with DQ's and injuries. Then in Boxing, where we have been outperformed by Northern Ireland and Scotland - the ABA will probably want a look at why English boxers didn't quite make the grade this time given the funding it gets. I did love our relay gold medal win though, we continue to be one of the best outside the USA and Jamaica.

Special mention to New Zealand (population 5m). It seems everytime I've turned on an event this last few days they have beaten us. 20 gold metals at the moment, just under half the amount we have had. The Antipodeans know their sport.

I hope we do bid for further games now, maybe the European champs at some point in the next decade or so.
We may have a large population but the general fitness leaves a lot to be desired we are the fattest in Europe and the nearest many get to exercise is flicking the remote little wonder the Aussies say we're only good at sit down sports.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2022, 01:50:34 PM »

The Buses I know for a fact actually kept people moving. NXWM operated a Dynamic System ie Perry Barr Garage could help Walsall on the 51, X51 and a few other routes, West Brom had Buses loaned to it from Pensnett (Dudley), Walsall and Wolverhampton to be used on it's own and Cover services ie The Bristol Road 61, 63 near to the Hockey and basically a bus could do the 51 so say 4854 as my mates drove that but end up on the 16 a Perry Barr Route or even a West Brom Route. In fact NXWM were doing a better Job getting people around than Stagecoach who were actually doing the Shuttle Buses. An example outside the Aquatics Centre routes 12 and 89 run they at evening times picked up Spectators as Stagecoach didn't take them to Birmingham but only to The Hawthorns. But in other aspects the Transport was a let down that and maybe Roadworks and The Council doing silly things were the only negatives. It was overall well done As Blues played at Home on Friday no idea of Attendance image it was Decent no disruption really. We play at home tonight It might have a bigger impact with Perry Barr being not far away from The Shrine. And good job the Tram Staff are yet to go on Strike .

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2022, 01:55:52 PM »
Also expect KYA was happy with the dancing Sand man at the Beach Volleyball dancing to I want To Break Free. Wonder what If England do enter again music it is to this time. I might not watch if my Dad goes down the Pub to watch us, or I'll have us on Radio.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2022, 02:13:27 PM »
Also expect KYA was happy with the dancing Sand man at the Beach Volleyball dancing to I want To Break Free. Wonder what If England do enter again music it is to this time. I might not watch if my Dad goes down the Pub to watch us, or I'll have us on Radio.
Just caught up with him on Youtube he was hilarious!

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2022, 05:39:46 PM »
Shout out to the small army of volunteers who've helped make these games such an apparent success  8) .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2022, 05:40:10 PM »
Shout out to the small army of volunteers who've helped make these games such an apparent success  8) .

THey have done a great job. My sister was one. Well done all.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2022, 07:06:29 PM »
The volunteers were excellent. They were everywhere and always friendly and positive. Overall, the region has done itself proud.
Boing Boing

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2022, 07:08:38 PM »
I've been to 3 events and have to say how well organised it has been. We used the Park and Ride service which ran like clockwork. As other have mentioned the volunteers were very friendly and welcoming, just what you'd expect from the Midlands. Well done to all involved.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Albionfan1983

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2022, 11:18:50 AM »
Great games and Birmingham should be on the map. The Opening & Closing Ceremonies were excellent as well, Enjoyed it, Miss it gone and the Bull was great in Victoria Square as well