Author Topic: Steve Bruce - Manager - SACKED  (Read 411778 times)

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: Steve Bruce - Manager
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2022, 08:17:31 PM »
I think this is a solid, pragmatic appointment. It makes absolute sense on paper.

As always it’ll depend on results. But we need someone like Bruce to try to correct the ship after the mess VI has left us in.

And I really hope above all else that we get behind this appointment. The club desperately needs some togetherness and there is no rational reason whatsoever not to give Bruce a proper chance. He’s well known within the game as a thoroughly decent bloke and he has a very creditable track record coupled with vast experience.

I don’t blame the Board for making this call. I’d have made the same one in their shoes.

Welcome Steve!

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2022, 08:18:32 PM »
We've all been through the wringer at some time following the Albion!
Let's just give the guy a chance eh?
My only concern having met him is what a nice genuine chap he came across as, let's hope he gets something out of some of these chancers that seem to be known as players!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2022, 08:23:57 PM »
He has my full support as long as he shows flexibility, gives some of the younger players a go (TGH, Fellows and whoever may be next to breakthrough), shows tactical guile and connects with the fans and I will give him time to settle in, let's be positive now guys.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2022, 08:28:07 PM »
Good luck Steve, just watch your back, and clear out the shirkers.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2022, 08:29:19 PM »
Sad state of affairs but we are where we are and Steve might be the right appointment for us so welcome and good luck.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2022, 08:32:30 PM »
I've given my views on Bruce's appointment in another topic, no point going on about it.

As with every new manager I will give him my full support, a fair chance and judge him fairly and objectively as we go along.

Welcome to the Albion Steve.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2022, 08:33:06 PM »
Good luck Steve, just watch your back, and clear out the shirkers.

We need to be able to field 11 players  ;D

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2022, 08:36:15 PM »
Good luck Steve you are going to need it!

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2022, 08:56:58 PM »
Not the forward thinking, exciting, long term sort of appointment I had hoped for. But there is little doubt that SB is an experienced, well respected football man. A manager who has had previous successes in this league, and is by all accounts a thoroughly decent bloke. We could have done worse and I think he deserves to be given a proper chance.

So good luck Steve, welcome to what you may remember, used to be the club with some of the best supporters in the country. Hope you have not underestimated the task now before you.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2022, 08:59:11 PM »
As the old song goes, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.  Come on Brucey, get them into shape.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2022, 09:02:14 PM »
This appointment could be phenomenal, he needs a  mid life challenge and rejuvenation, we need a kick up the ease, …job done!

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2022, 09:07:50 PM »
What a waste.

It's a bit early for a boycott chap.
Geoff Boycott would have been a better choice.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2022, 09:08:50 PM »
I do think the last appointment as had a massive say in this appointment, and to be fair I can see why they have gone for him. I will keep my opinions for a few more weeks but obviously results will take care of the way people feel by then.
one of the positives is I think Steve Bruce will have more than his share of determination with this job after his last few years, his stature has been badly wounded, hope he has the bit between his teeth.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2022, 09:10:28 PM »
Hope he can get the best out of Diangana and Mowatt as quickly as possible....that would be a good start. Better quality chances for Carol et al  is key for me. Good luck Steve!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:12:19 PM by miggybaggy »

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2022, 09:15:42 PM »
Provided Bruce has some left in the tank after the Newcastle episode I think we'll be a good fit for each other .
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 09:17:24 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

festerp

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2022, 09:21:38 PM »
What are the odds for when the same players turn on him and quit performing as to get another manager fired and a new one assigned?
“In my mind, you gotta have three things to be a Premier League team. 1) You gotta play physical. 2) you gotta give 100 percent until the final whistle and 3) you gotta be sponsored by a Middle-Eastern airline.”

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2022, 09:39:49 PM »
This could be a tremendous appointment, he needs a challenge, we need a hero

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2022, 10:05:37 PM »
The only bit of the appointment I object to is that has given his son, Alex Bruce a nice wager to hand out the cones. Stinks of nepotism.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2022, 10:22:43 PM »
It may not be an exciting or interesting appointment that many fans would like (me included) but i think but its a sensible, safe and good appointment.

He has a decent track record, Newcastle fans watched them every week and so are entitled to their opinion but they are a deluded bunch amd never wanted him in the first place.

Similar to Villa but most sensible villa fans acknowledge he sorted them out at a difficult time and though it was the right time to leave (and smith kicked them on) he overall did a steady job.

I think he is a very likeable bloke and the abuse he received his last two major appointments would of affected him, i think it would he great if us as a fanbase really showed him some support and make him feel wanted, it worked with Roy and it may with Bruce.

Good luck Steve, you may need it!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2022, 10:37:51 PM »
The only bit of the appointment I object to is that has given his son, Alex Bruce a nice wager to hand out the cones. Stinks of nepotism.

https://macclesfieldfc.com/2022/02/03/alex-bruce-secures-coaching-role-at-west-bromwich-albion/

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2022, 10:48:13 PM »
Really is time to back him folks.

Let's get behind the club and see what happens.   ;D
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2022, 11:07:59 PM »
going to be that guy but....the title should be changed to "manager" as the club seem to have emphasised this in the press release instead of Head Coach - as noted by several journalists on the socials aswell.

RE: the actual appointment? well... it's not one that will be exciting many people, but there are worse options out there for sure. He will steady the ship hopefully at the very least and will hopefully be the guy to get people like Diangana fired up again for example.

Pros:
  • Experienced.
  • 4 previous promotions from the Champ.
  • Does tend to get the "new manager bounce" which we need right now
  • Good man manager by all accounts - hopefully get player confidence up (Grady, Grant, Mowatt).
  • Knows some of our players like Livermore and Carroll from previous. Hopefully knows their strengths/weaknesses
  • Not a "radical" tactical change from one extreme of style to the other, but much more flexible than Val
  • Greggs outside the ground will sell loads of extra sausage rolls.

Cons:
  • Poor track record in transfer markets
  • Approaching the end of his journey on the merry go round
  • Only 1 step up on the entertainment level from Pulisball/ValBall
  • Tends to run out of steam after 12 months or so based on previous
  • Knows some of our players like Livermore (the perennial suck up) and Carroll (possible previous falling out?).

Will be judged this season I suspect on if he can get us into the auto's (low % chance) or at least get to Play Off Final for that 50/50 coin flip.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2022, 11:11:38 PM »
Not my favourite but happy to back him considering the mess we are in.

I hope he can turn us around and at least have us scoring goals again.

I do wonder how the Val-bought players like Mowatt and Dike are going to go, not having expected to have a new manager such a short time into their Albion career.  I hope they are professional enough to get on with it and not whinge about the new man.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2022, 11:25:12 PM »
It's a pragmatic appointment and probably the only choice we had realistically, the club isn't in a position to go looking for anyone other than experienced and steady. I just hope for a better structure to the club with the new CEO bringing in more knowledgeable execs football wise. A rebuild at board level fits in with Bruces appointment , we've been slowly but surely going in reverse of late and need to half it before we can move forward.

Good luck Steve and welcome to the Baggies.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2022, 12:08:11 AM »
Really is time to back him folks.

Let's get behind the club and see what happens.   ;D

Well said, spot on.
MAGA!