Author Topic: Next 6 games  (Read 3978 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Next 6 games
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:59:43 PM »
With the window closing and an international break, I’m interested how people think we will do in the next 6 fixtures before thre next break.

We play:

Millwall (h)
Derby (h)
Preston (a)
QPR (h)
Cardiff (a)
Stoke (a)

I’m think 11 points which would be another decent return. We play 6 matches in under a month again  and I think we will lose to either Cardiff or Stoke as like Peterborough I think we will put in at least really poor performance after a run of intense games. Couple of draws thrown in too.

On the flip side I think we could be the first side that hammers Derby. We have a chance over the next 3 to put ourselves in a great position though that gives us a bit of breathing room

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Next 6 games
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »
First 4 wins last 2 draws
14 points

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:29:39 PM »
I think we will slow down a bit now. At least 1 loss and maybe only the 3 wins.

I’ve said it all summer and I’ll say it again, we are playing for second place and apart from Fulham who I think will run off with the league, the rest of the pack will probably be on a similar points total to us in 6 games time.

At this stage we just need to make sure we are sitting within 3 points of the top 2.
Boing Boing

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 10:45:20 PM »
Aim for 12 points and maintain the 2 points a game. If we can get more happy days. Even 9 wouldn't be end of world due to the start. However the more the merrier
O Albion we love you

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 10:49:52 PM »
11+ looks achievable
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »
12 / 18 distinct possibility !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 10:37:07 AM »
Before posh game I’d have said 18 points but the way they defended,matched us physically and pressed us it gives other clubs template to nullify us. So with that being said the three home games I’d say 7 points as QPR look like dark horses this year and 6 from the away games, dingle mick to give us first defeat

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
Before posh game I’d have said 18 points but the way they defended,matched us physically and pressed us it gives other clubs template to nullify us. So with that being said the three home games I’d say 7 points as QPR look like dark horses this year and 6 from the away games, dingle mick to give us first defeat

I spend a lot of time travelling so listen to a fair few podcasts. One of those is the peterborough chairman's. He can be annoying, but he also gives really good insight.

He said there analysis of us had decided that other teams problems with our throws was in part the congestion in the box so they decided to leave three forwards and designate one player to attack the ball and not worry about a man.

By leaving 3 forwards it meant we had to leave more players back in defense. In turn the space meant there keeper and the player attacking the ball had much more room and more chance of winning the first ball and getting it away. Finally, if this worked, they had a great chance of creating something on a quick break with three forwards.

It sounded quite sensible. I've not watched it back to see if it seemed to work but he seemed to think it did work quite well. He was also quite fair about the towel and VI/Fergy incident and said neither bothered him and basically and we are within our rights to do what we can to win and his side need to deal with it.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »
The next two home games we really have to go for the throat, then I expect to get our first loss on the board somewhere in those games, probably at Cardiff as I'm hoping to go to that.

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »
I honestly believe that we will get between 14 and 16 points from the next 6 games. We will draw away against either Cardiff or Stoke.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 11:52:13 AM »
Don't see any of those sides beating us tbh.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
I spend a lot of time travelling so listen to a fair few podcasts. One of those is the peterborough chairman's. He can be annoying, but he also gives really good insight.

He said there analysis of us had decided that other teams problems with our throws was in part the congestion in the box so they decided to leave three forwards and designate one player to attack the ball and not worry about a man.

By leaving 3 forwards it meant we had to leave more players back in defense. In turn the space meant there keeper and the player attacking the ball had much more room and more chance of winning the first ball and getting it away. Finally, if this worked, they had a great chance of creating something on a quick break with three forwards.

It sounded quite sensible. I've not watched it back to see if it seemed to work but he seemed to think it did work quite well. He was also quite fair about the towel and VI/Fergy incident and said neither bothered him and basically and we are within our rights to do what we can to win and his side need to deal with it.

I did comment to my mate in the first half how weird it was them leaving 3 up at set pieces.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 12:57:50 PM »
If we are serious about promotion then a minimum of 14 points from these games. Without being big headed, we shouldn't be afraid of anyone in this league.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 05:21:56 PM »
The Championship is a long and winding road. I’d be very pleased if we avoided defeat in a couple of those fixtures, and kept close to two points a game.

We only just got past Luton and Peterborough, and it was also a close call against Blackburn. That could be a six point swing in the worst case scenario if we hadn’t squeezed across the line each time. We’d be a bit less chirpy if we had seven points and were sitting in mid-table.

It’s great that we found ways to win - and there’s a lot more than luck involved - but the margins are often very fine and won’t always fall our way. I don’t think our squad is that much better than the competition, and the weaknesses remain mostly unaddressed.

I’m still cautious.

ttree30

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2021, 10:19:06 PM »
Mind you, perhaps we shouldn’t bother and just concede promotion right now.

Some of Fulham’s fans seem to think they’re already up and it’s a walkover. The “strongest squad ever seen in the Championship,” “invincible,” “scarily good,” “second string for top six.”

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=83011.0

We shall see, but Championship football has a nasty habit of punishing hubris like that. Especially five games into a 46 match slog.

I think at least we know we have our work cut out, and will hopefully continue to approach the task with the humility you need. We may not be good enough in the end, but it definitely won’t be decided by results over the next six games, and it certainly isn’t decided after only five.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 10:59:42 PM »
I thought we would get off to a slow start and would only expect the team to be hitting it's stride by the end of the next 6 games. I could still be right and we regress across the next month but I am fairly optimistic that we will be picking up 2 points a game across the 6 so 3 wins and 3 draws.

Fulham have looked good across the opening 5 games and have a  very strong squad on paper. However they won't be the first relegated team to have what is widely regarded as the strongest squad in the division and the wheels drop off before they get to the end of the season. Villa and Stoke spring to mind recently. They themselves had one of the strongest squads two seasons ago and they didn't come close to being promoted automatically although this time out their cause is greatly helped by not having Scott Parker as the manager.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:55:38 AM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2021, 06:59:32 AM »
Mind you, perhaps we shouldn’t bother and just concede promotion right now.

Some of Fulham’s fans seem to think they’re already up and it’s a walkover. The “strongest squad ever seen in the Championship,” “invincible,” “scarily good,” “second string for top six.”

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=83011.0

We shall see, but Championship football has a nasty habit of punishing hubris like that. Especially five games into a 46 match slog.

I think at least we know we have our work cut out, and will hopefully continue to approach the task with the humility you need. We may not be good enough in the end, but it definitely won’t be decided by results over the next six games, and it certainly isn’t decided after only five.

You look at Silva’s record in English football as well he always starts like a house on fire & then the wheels come off in fairly spectacular fashion happened at both Watford & Everton. They should comfortably go up with the squad they have though that Carvalho looks a real talent.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »
Just the 9 points in the end from the 6 games and despite the unbeaten run, it’s a poor return.

1.5 points per game over the course of a season sees you finish around 8th place. Ismael will need to find a way to up that PPG rate after the international break or risk falling behind quite a few teams.

Our issue for me comes from our lack of diversity in attack. Not enough well worked goals, too many crosses into the box or just plain up “worldies”. Might be because of us lacking the right personnel. We are a goal scoring striker and a more creative midfielder/wide forward away from being title contenders.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2021, 11:26:28 PM »
9 points is a  poor return especially against the opposition we faced with Stoke and QPR possibly being in contention for top six. The difference in performance levels is shocking with one wondering what team will show up and no improvement in defensive deficiencies.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 09:39:59 AM »
Just the 9 points in the end from the 6 games and despite the unbeaten run, it’s a poor return.

1.5 points per game over the course of a season sees you finish around 8th place. Ismael will need to find a way to up that PPG rate after the international break or risk falling behind quite a few teams.

Agreed. Though we are averaging 2 points per game at the moment over our first 11 games.

Let's see; can't deny the last six have given some disappointment as well as joy. Anyone care to speculate on the next six?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 10:43:39 AM »
We must get 12 points per month till the end of the season for auto promotion

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 12:19:07 PM »
We must get 12 points per month till the end of the season for auto promotion

Indeed. And it’s going to be tough when the club does not have a proven goal scorer on its books.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
But we might get one in our Christmas stocking eh?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2021, 06:25:46 PM »
But we might get one in our Christmas stocking eh?

All out on a loan to buy of the Subbuteo figure version of Bomber Brown. Look on the bright side, he'd definitely end up on penalties  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »

Our issue for me comes from our lack of diversity in attack. Not enough well worked goals, too many crosses into the box or just plain up “worldies”. Might be because of us lacking the right personnel. We are a goal scoring striker and a more creative midfielder/wide forward away from being title contenders.
I'm not sure there are "quite a few teams" that we need to worry about, everyone except Bournemouth are just as, or more, erratic than we are.

Also, whilst I agree wholeheartedly about the lack of a striker, Fulham have all of the things you mention, yet find themselves 2 points behind and with 3 very poor defeats to their name.

We are one of only 3 teams currently on 2 ppg or more, one being the afore-mentioned Bournemouth and the other Coventry. Over a long season, I expect Bournemouth to compete for top 2, but think Cov will do no better than the play offs.